PDA

View Full Version : Marshall 2061X Love

DustyBaker
09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I've had my 2061 for a while and i've been asking hundreds of questions and yall have been great so I took some pictures of my amp to show.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Dustyb_01/IMG_0150.jpg

Heres some new gut shots with my new "Mercury Magnetics" Transformers and choke.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Dustyb_01/Photoon2010-09-18at1124.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Dustyb_01/Photoon2010-09-18at11255.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Dustyb_01/Photoon2010-09-18at11254.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Dustyb_01/Photoon2010-09-18at11242.jpg

Im planning on getting the bottom cab and playing around with different Speakers. Id also love to have the whole thing in white.

greyhound
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I've got a Marshall 1974x and love it. Would like to hear the difference between these two amps.

DustyBaker
09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
As far as i can tell, (Stock) The 1974x kicks the crap outa mine. Has better breakup, better cleans and its not as harsh. Not to mention its really easy to hit that sweet spot. But thats because of the speakers and also because the 2061 is a PA amp not a guitar amp. But after those Mercury Mags were put in, it was almost perfect. I just gotta try some greenbacks in it.

Billion81
09-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't agree at all. The 2061 has a better dose of high mid chime that the 1974 can't touch. A bit of that is the cab. I've had two 2061s and will likely get another at some point as it has been a staple in my smaller gig rigs for a long time.

I may have an empty cabinet if you are interested. I have one with that I replaced with ASW 70s but was for use with my Fuchs rig. I still have the stock Celestions which works well with the 2061.

michael.e
09-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't agree at all. The 2061 has a better dose of high mid chime that the 1974 can't touch. A bit of that is the cab. I've had two 2061s and will likely get another at some point as it has been a staple in my smaller gig rigs for a long time.

I may have an empty cabinet if you are interested. I have one with that I replaced with ASW 70s but was for use with my Fuchs rig. I still have the stock Celestions which works well with the 2061.

GREAT sounding clip you made! I have one of the cabs coming in that I am going to use with my Orangutan and Liverpool clone.

Bigtone
09-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I've played my original 20 lead head against the 1974, into the same speaker,

The 20 watt head sounded more like the bigger marshall heads, the 1974
sounded like a smaller marshall with a hint of vox in there, both great, but I preferred the 20 watter by a notch,

Bigtone

schwa
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I wanted a 2061x from the time they came out. They look awesome on the slant 2x12, and 20w makes more sense for the size of the rooms I play in. A month or so ago, one came up on Craig's List, and I picked it up. (for under $1k). For me, it's almost the perfect amp, NMV Marshall crunch at half the volume of a 100 watter. (I wish I could play it at home though)

When it comes to cabs, I wanted to try the matching cab, but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price. While reading and doing some research, I found out about the 1965 and 1966 cabs that were available in the '80's. Thanks again to CL, I was able to find a 1965a (4x10 slant) and 1966b (2x12 straight) for less than a 2061cx would cost. I also got a Avatar Vintage 1x12, which bears a passing resemblance to the 1974cx cab.

Between the three cabs, I have a lot of options to match the amp to where I am playing. Of the three, I like the 4x10 best. Not many folks play 4x10's, but they have a lot of the character of a 4x12 in a more portable package.

flume
09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I have one nearly done from a kit...will be picking up soon.

Had Mojotone make the cab using their vertical design with Eminence speakers.

I'm not easy to please with amps so we'll see.

I had the first run of the 2061x head some years ago and offed it. This new build should be better since it has superior components. We'll see.

David Vee
09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
For me, it's almost the perfect amp, NMV Marshall crunch at half the volume of a 100 watter. (I wish I could play it at home though)

It is an amazing Marshall... and not praised enough.

Schwa - you say you are unable to play the 2061x at home... is the amp too loud?

Let me help make you aware of the low volume trick that is hidden in these amps (I found out by accident... and then found other thread posts that confirmed my experiment):

Plug into the upper input of the bass side of the amp.
Dime the lead and bass side tone controls.
Raise the volume of the lead side until you hear a very fizzy, very faint sound. You may dime this if you choose... the level will still be very low.
Raise the volume of the bass side just enough to balance out the fizz.
You should now be enjoying your 2061x at or slightly above speaking voice level.
Play around with the tone controls and the low inputs as other low volume tones are possible - my suggestion yields classic Marshall crunch/lead tones.

Now go enjoy that amp on a whole new level!

DustyBaker
09-20-2010, 05:37 AM
OK, let me clarify, i wouldn't take a 1974 for mine. Im just tailoring the tone for me. They are little beasts though, you can get early zeppelin all day

matchless
09-20-2010, 06:21 AM
I have both a 2061 and 1974x-to me it is the nearly the same tone difference as a 100 watt plexi verses a 50 watt.they both have their place

schwa
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Schwa - you say you are unable to play the 2061x at home... is the amp too loud?

Let me help make you aware of the low volume trick that is hidden in these amps (I found out by accident... and then found other thread posts that confirmed my experiment):

Raise the volume of the lead side until you hear a very fizzy, very faint sound. You may dime this if you choose... the level will still be very low.
You should now be enjoying your 2061x at or slightly above speaking voice level.
Play around with the tone controls and the low inputs as other low volume tones are possible - my suggestion yields classic Marshall crunch/lead tones.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I didn't get the same result. I tried diming the two tones, plugged into the bass top input. but no amount of twisting of the volumes gave much dirt - except of course turning up the bass side's volume.

Where should the lead volume be set? With the tones dimed, I did get hiss as I turned it up,but it didn't seem to change the character of the tone much. (just more hiss)

Billion81
09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
This looks cool but certainly a protracted approach to getting there.

top left input, Dime the Vol-

attenuate with Geetar knob. It's a little wreck like in this instance.

'buckers will get well in to OD without pedals etc..

Single Coils...Not so fast. These will get some decent gristle and start to compress if only slightly but it won't delivery the gain like a humbucker.

That clip I did had Barden's and those are stupid hot so not really fair.

With a humbucker LP I'm getting Early Gibbons like OD on 6. From there it's just about gain.

BluesPlayinYuppie
09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
when people say it's a PA and not a guitar amp what does that mean exactly in regards to sound and build, what is different?

DustyBaker
09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
It doesn't have the gain stages like its bigger brothers and its just the circuitry that makes it different. I think... but i'm not as much an expert as id like to think. I've read the history of Marshall and the way it describes the amps like the 2061x and the super PA's is that they were at first sold and marketed as PA amps and then people started plugging as many guitars as possible into them. lol

gawfshot
09-21-2010, 09:58 AM

I'd be interested in that empty cab...

David Vee
09-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I didn't get the same result. I tried diming the two tones, plugged into the bass top input. but no amount of twisting of the volumes gave much dirt - except of course turning up the bass side's volume.

Where should the lead volume be set? With the tones dimed, I did get hiss as I turned it up,but it didn't seem to change the character of the tone much. (just more hiss)

Schwa - Recapping the "low volume trick" for you:

With both tone controls dimed:

Dime the lead vol, then raise the bass volume to taste, which should get you to a nice speaking-level crunch. (add a booster pedal and you get full Marshall scream at this low level)

I assume when plugged in the "normal" way (into the lead top input) you get the full, LOUD output of the amp? (Normal output - you shouldn't be able to stay in a small room with the volume at noon, much less dimed...)

If you are only getting weak cleans using the low volume trick, just a guess, but it may be time for new preamp or power tubes... the hiss you described leads to me think that way as well, assuming the amp is 100% healthy in all other ways...

Hope this helps.

Frankee
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
The only Marshall I would even consider buying.

rockbutt
09-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Here's the recipe for a loud sparkling clean sound out of the Marshall 2061x:

1-plug guitar into top input of BASS ch.
2-set Tone knob of BASS ch to 10.
3-set the Tone and Volume knobs of the LEAD ch. to almost 8.
4-finally, raise the Volume on the BASS ch to taste....and enjoy.
Important: no jumpering channels.

This, in my experience, gives you the best clean sound possible out of the 2061x

RocksOff
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Great amps. Full tilt yields best results.

schwa
09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Schwa - Recapping the "low volume trick" for you:

With both tone controls dimed:

Dime the lead vol, then raise the bass volume to taste, which should get you to a nice speaking-level crunch. (add a booster pedal and you get full Marshall scream at this low level)

I assume when plugged in the "normal" way (into the lead top input) you get the full, LOUD output of the amp? (Normal output - you shouldn't be able to stay in a small room with the volume at noon, much less dimed...)

If you are only getting weak cleans using the low volume trick, just a guess, but it may be time for new preamp or power tubes... the hiss you described leads to me think that way as well, assuming the amp is 100% healthy in all other ways...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, quite helpful. I bought the amp used, but less than a year old. I don't think it got a lot of play from the first owner, he sold it because "it was just too loud".

When I demoed it before purchase, I mostly played it turned up (both voumes at 8 or so) and it gave up some great crunch. Normal channel at noon is very loud. I don't get any hiss until above 7 on the controls, and the hiss is inaudible compared to the volume of the amp.

That all said, I'm going to be bringing the amp in for a checkup with my tech. I've got some NOS mullards (pre and power) coming and I want to make sure all is fine before putting the old glass in.

Hulakatt
12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
bump for an awesome amp.

What cab and speaker configurations are people running? I rn mine through an Avatar 2x12 with Hellatones but am looking to pick up a 1x12 with a Greenback in it for a little earlier breakup and better portability.

Sirloin
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I've always liked what I have heard about these amps and played through one..sounded great. Hear a lot of negatives about the output tranny on these. What's the story on that?

rockbutt
12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm using the Marshall 2061cx cab.

schwa
12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
bump for an awesome amp.

What cab and speaker configurations are people running? I rn mine through an Avatar 2x12 with Hellatones but am looking to pick up a 1x12 with a Greenback in it for a little earlier breakup and better portability.

I run 3 setups:

Portable
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/peetaromicus/Amps/New-Grill-web.jpg

Not as portable
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/peetaromicus/Amps/Stack-web.jpg

and sometimes (actually most often), I run just the 4x10. It's my favorite cab with this amp.

jer321
12-21-2010, 09:30 PM
just bought the 1974x today, i've been wanting one for a while, finally got one for the price i wanted to pay haha

cg
12-22-2010, 12:42 AM
This was one of my favorite rigs:

http://chanceg.smugmug.com/Music/Gear/marshall/117249333_xoHyV-L.jpg

Raymund
12-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I use either the Marshall 2061CX cabinet or this old checkerboard cab from 72:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Raymund_Gradt/Amps/Marshall%20JMP%2050%20Watt%201972/IMG_0171.jpg

macmeda
01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm running mine through a 2061CX with a Tone Tubby Alnico in the bottom and a Heritage G12H-65 on the top. Great combo , both low efficiency speakers. Try a NOS 5751 in the PI

Swampsnake
01-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Avatar 1x12 with a heritage 12M greenback sounds best to me. the G12H speaker was too hard. The greenback compresses better.

BacchusPlateau
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Do you guys think that this amp could compete with a deluxe reverb reissue (Using pedals for gain) at gig volume through a 2x12?

Teh RedWizard
01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Do you guys think that this amp could compete with a deluxe reverb reissue (Using pedals for gain) at gig volume through a 2x12?Easily.

Sirloin
01-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Do you guys think that this amp could compete with a deluxe reverb reissue (Using pedals for gain) at gig volume through a 2x12?

For just volume...yes and then some. For clean headroom...no way. I have owned both.

BacchusPlateau
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
How do you think the cleans would compare?

big mike
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
NOt as clean. The marshall gets fairly hairy immediately with buckers.

I LOVED mine. that, a hotplate, and an HBE boost...and a heafty dose of the volume control on the amp.

KissTone
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
I had one that I built from the Soultone kit when Mickey still offered them. Just a great amp. I stoooopidly sold it when I thought I just had to have a Clark tweed Deluxe. (Which I of course sold as well . . .)

If anyone has that amp, PM me and let me know how it's doing! (I shipped it to someone in Michigan as I recall.)

Tommy_G
01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm really enjoying my 2061CX (with different speakers, through)....maybe if a 2061x come up, I'll buy it just to complete the home studio.

The 2061cx cab is portable, sounds great, produces the right level of stage volume with 30 to 50W behind it, and looks like a million bucks. Not to mention that the materials and craftsmanship of the cab are second to none.

koss59
01-09-2013, 03:07 AM
http://youtu.be/IQ_WHMyvy9Q

Here's my old one, never should have sold it!

mockoman
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
koss59,that sounds great! What speakers were in that cab? No pedals,right?

koss59
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
koss59,that sounds great! What speakers were in that cab? No pedals,right?

Thanks! It was one of the Marshall Handwired series cabs but I replaced two of the G12h-30 with heritage G12M-20's which improved it a lot.
Unfortunately there is a pedal on there, it was an old silver Klon and it sounded amazing with it, I also used a Sunface on occasion which sounded just as good.

Hulakatt
01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I had one that I built from the Soultone kit when Mickey still offered them. Just a great amp. I stoooopidly sold it when I thought I just had to have a Clark tweed Deluxe. (Which I of course sold as well . . .)

If anyone has that amp, PM me and let me know how it's doing! (I shipped it to someone in Michigan as I recall.)

Are you sure you didn't trade it via CL for a SF Princeton Reverb? The 2061x I have is a Soultone kit I got under those circumstances...

Edit:
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy106/hulakatt/059b20ec.jpg