PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Jimmy Page Interview

Blingdogg
10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Just read a good interview with Jimmy Page from 1977. Maybe some of you read this before, but it has a lot of info on Page's approach to recording music, some of his production secrets on Zeppelin, playing the guitar, and his history with Zeppelin, Yardbirds and Jeff Beck.

I learned some cool things here so I thought I'd share:
http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/003340.html

The interview starts about a quarters-way down the page. I would've posted some of it but it's long. But here are some interesting quotes:

Interviewer: [Your Telecaster] sounds exactly like a Les Paul [on early Zeppelin].

JP: Yeah, well thatís the amp and everything. You see, I could get a lot of tones out of the guitar, which you normally couldnít. This confusion goes back to those early sessions again with the Les Paul. Those might not sound like a Les Paul, but thatís what I used. Itís just different amps, mike placings, and all different things. Also, if you just crank it up to the distortion point so you can sustain notes, itís bound to sound like a Les Paul. I was using the Supro amp for the first album and still do.

The ďStairway To HeavenĒ solo was done when I pulled out the Telecaster, which I hadnít used for a long time, plugged it into the Supro, and away it went again. Thatís a different sound entirely from any of the rest of the first album. It was a good versatile setup. Iím using a Leslie on the solo on ďGood Times Bad TimesĒ. It was wired up for an organ thing.

Interviewer: The solo on ďI Canít Quit You BabyĒ is interestingómany pulloffs in a sort of sloppy but amazingly inventive style.

JP: There are mistakes in it, but it doesnít make any difference. Iíll always leave the mistakes in. I canít help it. The timing bits on the A and the Bb parts are right, though it might sound wrong. The timing just sounds off. But there are some wrong notes. Youíve got to be reasonably honest about it. Itís like the film track album (The Song Remains The Same); thereís no editing really on that. It wasnít the best concert playing-wise at all, but it was the only one with celluloid footage so, there it was. It was all right, it was just one Ďas-it-isĒ performance. It wasnít one of those real magic nights, but then again it wasnít a terrible night.

So, for all its mistakes and everything else, itís a very honest film track. Rather than just trailing around through a tour with a recording mobile truck waiting for the magic night, it was just, ďThere you areótake it or leave it.Ē

pickslide
10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Great interview. I like when they ask him about his amps he uses live - 100w Marshalls that are modded for 200w and then he sets the volume at around 3 (not o'clock).

Thanks for posting this.

Bussman
10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Youíve got to be reasonably honest about it. Itís like the film track album (The Song Remains The Same); thereís no editing really on that. It wasnít the best concert playing-wise at all, but it was the only one with celluloid footage so, there it was. It was all right, it was just one Ďas-it-isĒ performance. It wasnít one of those real magic nights, but then again it wasnít a terrible night.

Jimmy obviously never read the Garden Tapes (http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html).

Flogger59
10-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Jimmy obviously never read the Garden Tapes (http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html).

You beat me to it!

sahhas
10-01-2010, 02:30 PM
omg-i just looked at that garden tapes page, wow, that's some analysis.
i'll have to read that closer!

DWB1960
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM

He definitely cut and pasted from the 3 nights. But nothing was done after the fact in the studio like was the case with Kiss Alive and many other live albums.

Bussman
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
He definitely cut and pasted from the 3 nights. But nothing was done after the fact in the studio like was the case with Kiss Alive and many other live albums.

Yet in the quoted interview he says: "You’ve got to be reasonably honest...there’s no editing really on that". And don't kid yourself, there are studio overdubs (perhaps not many but a few nonetheless).

Heck, they even had to go to a Shepperton Studios soundstage and shoot some additional footage for the film (miming to the soundtrack!) So even the film isn't a true representation of a concert.

Zep was no better than Kiss or whoever in that regard, no matter how much you and I love them.

DWB1960
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
And don't kid yourself, there are studio overdubs (perhaps not many but a few nonetheless).

Nope. Even the Garden Tapes guy doesn't mention this.

Heck, they even had to go to a Shepperton Studios soundstage and shoot some additional footage for the film (miming to the soundtrack!)

They only had to do that because the film crew was put together at the last minute and kept running out of film during the actual concerts. The band was royally PISSED about this and hated the fact they had to re-shoot at Shepperton. Hell, JPJ even had to wear a wig cause he'd cut his hair.

Bussman
10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Donnie B. dude, don't make stuff up:

There are a number of reasons why The Song Remains The Same cannot be classed as a genuine, straightforward presentation of a live concert. Studio overdubbing is certainly among those reasons...

From the Garden Tapes page on TSRTS.

Listen, justify it or argue all you want, JP is just a guy with character flaws like the rest of us. He's not a god. So he blatantly lied about stuff, big deal, it shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the damn record or movie for what it is. It's only entertainment anyway.

I just like to call it as I see it that's all.

enocaster
10-01-2010, 05:04 PM
"My fingerpicking is a sort of cross between Pete Seeger, Earl Scruggs and total incompetence."

:roll

OogieBoogieMan
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Jimmy admits to having done some overdubs, but when he says "I’ll always leave the mistakes in. I can’t help it.", he's lying. He has kept on doctoring his stuff ever since. And he keeps on telling everyone about how great LZ were, while at the same time trying to edit out mistakes made, and in turn trying to make them something that they never were.

Bussman
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Jimmy admits to having done some overdubs, but when he says "Iíll always leave the mistakes in. I canít help it.", he's lying. He has kept on doctoring his stuff ever since. And he keeps on telling everyone about how great LZ were, while at the same time trying to edit out mistakes made, and in turn trying to make them something that they never were.

I wouldn't go that far. There are still "mistakes" on the studio records. Can't fault him for using the newly available technology to improve the studio albums and make them as good as he can make them. It's his work, his prerogative.

I'll say one thing about Jimmy: he's often given good insights into his approach. In the studio as a guitar player he was going for feel first and foremost, while live he was all about putting on a show. Which is fine, it's only Rock and Roll after all.

I always loved his quote above regarding fingerpicking, describes him to a T. I wish he would let go of LZ a little and put out more stuff.

DWB1960
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Donnie B. dude, don't make stuff up:

All right. Missed that. But this is significant:

On the original 1976 releases, overdubbing is restricted to some occasional, minor tampering, usually with the vocals.

I've read that entire rhythm guitar tracks from Kiss Alive were completely overdubbed.

And as far as the re-releases, he only sonically improved them using modern technology - kinda like re-mastering.

And being a major Page fan boy, I'll admit to having blinders on sometimes...:love:

fazen
10-01-2010, 08:23 PM

I started to read and thought "This is ridiculous". The guy needs to get a life. Spending all that time for some internet thing.
I was wondering if that guy still lives in his mother's basement.

OogieBoogieMan
10-02-2010, 04:26 AM
I wouldn't go that far. There are still "mistakes" on the studio records. Can't fault him for using the newly available technology to improve the studio albums and make them as good as he can make them. It's his work, his prerogative.

I'll say one thing about Jimmy: he's often given good insights into his approach. In the studio as a guitar player he was going for feel first and foremost, while live he was all about putting on a show. Which is fine, it's only Rock and Roll after all.

I always loved his quote above regarding fingerpicking, describes him to a T. I wish he would let go of LZ a little and put out more stuff.

I was actually thinking about the live stuff they've released. He can do what he wants with his work, but what he's presenting and talking about when it comes to live stuff, while at the same time saying LZ is the greatest, is not what went down back in the day. It's something wrong with a guy talking about how great his band were at improvising, and then he edits out mistakes 30 years after it all, where all the studio trickery is clearly a different thing than live improvisation.