PDA

View Full Version : GC exclusive: Martin 000-MMV

GibsonSGgirl
10-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey all,

I'm very interested in getting the Martin 000-mmv that Guitar Center has listed in their latest gear catalog. It's not available online on with GC or MF, and it's not available to try before I buy at my local GC. In fact , they won't order it in for me unless I pay the entire price ($1399+ 8.25 sales tax) up front.

That's a lot of money for me to spend on a guitar I can't see, feel and try before I buy. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I've done numerous google searches and read every thread I could find about it on other guitar forums.

What would you do? Is it worth risking it? The sales guy assured me I'd have 30 days to get a full refund, but I figure there must be some catch to that.

mjm59
10-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Aside from the waaaaayyy too much reverb on the recording, it sounds like a pretty nice guitar. Check with the store, but usually the 30 day refund period is pretty much carved in stone, no questions asked.

Mike

KP_kD_ZIPbQ

Just found this response in a Guild forum:
http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=231454&sid=7230fc7657b32db3cec7f886c0bc60ef

Hey Bluesy,

I stumbled over to GC today....found me a fresh out of the box MMV.... I must say, that is one magnificent guitar. You weren't joking....all for $1500!!! I don't know how they did it but they did. There is a limited supply due to only being available at GC so that makes sense. There is no way they could produce something of that high quality and tone and send it for mass distribution...or could they? In either case, that is one fabulous guitar. I am on board! If I had the money, I would definitely pick it up, but hey it's not the right time. It really makes you think. Martin can provide a guitar of that nature for $1500 and the new Std Guild F30R will probably be going for ~$2000.

hank57
10-02-2010, 12:55 AM
But it return it then have your brother buy it as used. Just kidding...:wink

JRDill
10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I play on this guitar every day when I go into my high end room to do tuning and cleaning. Every time our Martin rep. would come in I'd tell him "man, we need an affordable 000 in the mid range! Something like the GC-MMV" and his response almost a year ago was "oh you just wait." One of my favorite Martins right now and just sounds incredible! And yes we do have our no questions asked 30 return policy. Your salesman may be a little upset that you're returning a nearly 1500 dollar sale, but 1. I don't think that will happen with such a great guitar, and 2. that's his problem. I say buy it, take it home, get a feel for it and decide for yourself on your own terms. That's what GC is here for. We're all guitar players and we know sometimes the honeymoon is over long before we want it to be.

SummitHighway
10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I just put $ down on one of these. there were two of them in stock at my GC in la mesa (east san diego county).

i would have to give it the big thumbs up. i bought a taylor two years ago - i tried as hard as i could to find a martin in the $1k price range that was nicer than the taylors in that price range but could not do it. this one does. they finally figured out what the "low end" martin should be.

* sounds like a martin
* plays like a martin
* nice t-shell pickguard
* top, back and sides all finished
* ebony fretboard
* no binding on the neck, but neither does the clapton model - i personally don't care

the only thing i don't love about this guitar is the gold hardware but that's easily changed.

if you're looking for the last martin you'll ever buy in this price range, this is the one.

cheers,

g

JRDill
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Haha I think I'm the only person that loves the gold hardware!

Bluesboy62
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Gibson Girl....
I would say you can go blind on that one.
Of the dozens of reviews I heard and read prior to purchasing mine, you would be the first one to be disappointed by the MMV.
I've had this guitar for about a month now, and I still can't believe how good it is for what I paid for it. (I grabbed it on the 15% off for Labor Day that GC was running). I prefer it's tone to that of my 000-28, if it can be any indication.

mjm59: You are right. If I could go back, I would pull the reverb trigger back some.... Always a challenge to figure out how the final sound will be after the youtube upload! :bonk

martyncrew
10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Can anyone comment on the sound and playability of this model vs. a Martin 000M? Thanks.

Pogue Mahone
10-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and couldnt be happier! I was suprised at how full it sounded, obviously it doesnt have the projection of a dread but still has quite a bit of volume and complexity of tone for its size. I traded a tele and a couple of bucks for mine and feel I got a pretty good deal, the salesman I spoke to at GC told me they usually dont last for long once they hit the floor. I think this was a really smart move for Martin both the MMV dread and this 000 are really nice for the money.

GibsonSGgirl
10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok all, I've got a question for you all. I really still want the triple-0 mmv acoustic, however I'm out of the country till mid-November. As the guitar is not listed on their website, so I can't buy it there, I am wondering if they would let me pay by credit card? I know I have to pay the full amount for it up front, which I'm reluctantly okay about, however, I don't have a way to get the money to them right now other than electronically.

Has anyone paid over the phone with a credit card at GC before? I only ask bc I'm worried if I wait to order it when I get back, they won't be able to get any as they'll all be sold out (there were only 2-3 at the nearby stores, and this was earlier this month). What do you all suggest?

GibsonSGgirl
10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok I've just read that they do take credit cards over the phone, however it doesn't mention how they handle special orders, as it would need to be shipped to my local store. How does that work?

jw112
11-05-2010, 12:24 AM
played one of these tonight. impressive guitar

zombywoof
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I think those have the same bracing pattern and mortise and tenon neck joint of the D-16R.

pickaguitar
11-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Are they short scale?

Amityslim
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Hello, I'm a newly registered guy, prompted by the postings on the above guitar. I bought one last month from our local GC. No signs of being played. Went in looking for an acoustic smaller than my HD-28 for couch serenades. Had never heard of the MMVs but when I played it and paid attention to the woods, I walked out with it. It first got a set of nickel Waverly Vintage Oval tuners installed (like some, I don't fancy the gold and Waverlys, well, are Waverlys). They looked like they grew out of the guitar. At this time, it's in the hands of my luthier, a Martin guy, getting bone fore and aft.

I've owned and played more guitars than my talent level will ever justify. Probably just one decent guitar does that for me. But my two cents is this one is a fine buy. BTW, I called Martin and was told these all come with M&T neck joints. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Amityslim

Martin HD-28
Martin OOO-MMV
Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM FSR Natural Ash Tele

Tristin21
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello
Just like everyone else on the forum I was impressed by the OOO MMV. Then I did a little research, The fretboard IS NOT EBONY it is a phenolic material called richlite which is a composite made of paper and glue. The salesman incidentally was VERY CAGEY when I inquired where or not it was ebony because there is no texture to the surface, unlike natural wood. Now I am not sure how I feel about this stuff, it is basically the same as kitchen counter top material, but that is not my real problem. Here is my issue what happens when a fret repair or replacement is needed on this neck. For all of you who have visions of 1941 family heirloom Martins dancing in their head try and get an answer from a GC salesman on that. You see my problem is that NOWHERE is there any documentation on the fact that the fingerboard is not solid wood. This is strictly about Martin Guitars and Guitar Centers profit margin. If this is such a great material why is there no documentation on it on the guitar. What will happen to this neck when the "select Hardwood" neck starts shrinking and expanding according to the temperature and humidity outside.Why dont they use it on their higher ended models if its so great. Why do I always feel like I'm on the lot of a used car dealer when I walk into Guitar Center? Lastly do you all realize how little a fretboard blank made out of rosewood or ebony costs. Why cant they just state up front that the fretboard is made of a new material. What a shame an otherwise wonderful guitar.

Pogue Mahone
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I not so sure about this, Im looking at mine and can see a definite wood grain to it, not tryin to start a pissin' contest or anything but I have a guitar in my possesion to examine and the fret board looks the same as the bridge. Maybe the bridge is made of the rich-lite stuff but I dont think so. I know the 16 series have some synthetic materials used in construction but I really think the MMV is all wood. I'll do some research my-self and see what I can come up with.

Tristin21
02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Hello
I found the information on the material used for the bridge and fretboard from a VERY prominent Martin website. HOWEVER after really examining and playing this guitar I am convinced that they are indeed ebony. I believe in correcting my mistakes and I didn't feel it was correct to distribute misinformation. I also believe that the body to neck joint may be mortise and tenon rather than dovetail. No big deal. The guitar does impress and sounds amazing for the price.

argylespots
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
if you are looking for a cool martin, you can put a down pmnt on a oo-15 or a om-15 mahogany top at laguitarsales.com they are $1199. either that or just buy a larrivee