PDA

View Full Version : Stomp Under Foot Civil War OR Musket Fuzz?

allanh91
10-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a b.y.o.c triangle beaver, It sounds really nice but it's much tamer than i would have though, so I've been looking to buy a higher gain muff clone to alternate with the beaver.

So far I've whittled my choice down to the blackout effectors musket fuzz, due to the features of a focus knob, mids and pre gain (all very useful for muffs) and the stomp under foot civil war.

I think these pedals are in the same ball park, does anyone have a preference or recommend one over the other? Obviously I'd welcome other suggestions too, although bear in mind i already own an EHX Little big muff (awesome), the triangle byoc (silky) and a proco rat II (more of a distortion pedal but still excellent)

I'm influenced by the lead tones of Hendrix/Gilmour/Johnson in terms of distortion, maybe someone could give me a little heads up on my options?

natelux
10-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I found the STUF Civil War to be on the tame side. It's a smoother, more refined Muff, compared to, say, Electro Harmonix stuff.

buckkillr8
10-03-2010, 12:02 PM
SUF all the way. :bow

Orbis_Mortis
10-03-2010, 12:06 PM
The Musket is freakin' awesome!!! :love: I can't comment on the SUF Civil War though. Would love to try one and the EQD Hoof.

allanh91
10-03-2010, 12:09 PM
2-1 to the SUF :P - it sounds very smooth in the demos I've heard. and the price is nicer, i'm just wondering if the extra control is worth it the extra :/

skunx
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Hoof from Earthquaker. Super quiet and can go from smoothe and bassy to gritty and trebly and everywhere in between. Sounds great boosted with an od as well. I didn't like the musket (maybe too many knobs for me) and the SUF muffs are tailored for specific flavors. The op amp and Violet rams head I tried sounded great.

ungarn
10-03-2010, 02:58 PM
If you do NOT want tame...Euthymia ICBM.
Love my Hoof.
Had SUF VRH.
But playing the ICBM alot right now.

Bazaboy33
10-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Shameless plug, but I've got a Hoof in the Emporium...if you're interested...;-)>

allanh91
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i will check out the hoof as well.

In terms of tone, can it get the 90's Gilmour sound fairly true? I really enjoy the sort of milky sound he gets from that era and most of its down to the green russian muff.

Seems like a very good pedal for the price. I now have a three horse race it would seem...

wundergussy
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
SUF is the best. If you want the opposite of tame, check out the SUF Op-Amp muff. It will cover the ground that the beaver does not, with less overlap than the Civil War or the Musket.

Bazaboy33
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
It really depends upon what you are after. If you are looking for just that Gilmour tone, then I would vote the SUF Civil War. If you want some more EQ flexibility from the muff, then I would go with the Musket or the Hoof. I have not tried the Musket, but it was on my list. The Hoof is great and can go from honky Black Keys-y raunch to Gilmour lead tones. I found out that I was not really looking for a Muff-type fuzz when my Skreddy Lunar Module arrived. It made it very clear to me that I had been searching for a Bender-type fuzz all along instead of a Muff-type fuzz.

Slow Revolution
10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I have both a Musket and a Civil War. Both cut through in a live mix. The SUF is edgier and can be more brutal. It's tone pot is the responsive I've ever heard. The musket is warm and rich and round. They're both great. All my EHX Muffs sit on the shelf now as a result. I gotta hand it to SUF. They are so cheap and the quality is top notch.

duanesworld
10-03-2010, 04:30 PM
love my suf tri, amazing muff!

jimtaka
10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I've had an SUF VRH and a Musket. In the end, I stuck with the Musket for it's versatility. the SUF was "edgier" and more aggressive sounding though as others have stated. They are both fantastic.

allanh91
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
once again, thanks to everyone for your advice.

I think it really comes down to a shoot out between versatility and price.

I think the boost and mids function on the musket is slightly winning it for me just now, however i may be persuaded otherwise if the dollar/pound rate changes :)

Laced Senses
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a Musket Fuzz v2. It can cop some Gilmour solo tones fairly well through my Hiwatts. The same goes for Jimi tones through a Marshall JTM...makes sense. IMO, the pedal genrally sounds great as long as the tone knob is below noon position, but my amps are sorta bright. The focus knob doesn't seem to do much; maybe I should play with it some more and listen carefully. The mids knob is certainly handy.

I haven't played a SUF though, so I can't compare it.

coldinWI
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Love the musket! - John

guitarslinger21
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I've never tried a Musket, but I LOVE my SUF Civil War. If you're after the 90's Gilmour sound, the CW is a good start! It stacks like a dream with OD's, distortions, etc.

Godspeed64
10-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Musket is the king o' muffs! :D:D

critter74
10-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Honestly I think you should get the Musket. I have owned 3 SUF Muff's as well. This is why I think the Musket will suit your needs the best...

I break it down like this; if you want an authentic sounding clone of a specific era Muff, then by every means go with a SUF version. Each of the 3 I had came as close as you could get to nailing that version of the Muff (you can never really get a 100% clone with a few of the era's as the components differences in them were wide and far). In short, they are 1 trick ponies. That's by no means a put down. You don't use your thoroughbred horse to pull a cart and you don;t have your mule run a race. If you want a certain tone that's as close to authentic as realistically possible, then one of SUF's is what you want to look at.

However, if you want a very versatile, runs the gamut of tones and flexible pedal, you want the Musket. The Musket my not exactly nail any one era Muff version (though it is designed after the Green Russian Muff) it will give you an obvious thick, hairy Muff tone (lol).

The Pre, Focus and Mids knob really allow the pedal to open up. You will not get any other Muff type pedal to sound like ma Musket without boosting it with a TS type pedal to get the Pre boost and the mids that a Muff naturally lacks. The Focus keeps the bass from getting flabby which can happen when boosted with another pedal. The Musket really is just an all around great pedal. I can get gritty Black Key's type tones, to Santana sustain, to Dinosaur Jr wailing. It's the kitchen sink of Muff pedals.

I hope this helps shed a little more light on it for you. Cheers...

allanh91
10-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Honestly I think you should get the Musket. I have owned 3 SUF Muff's as well. This is why I think the Musket will suit your needs the best...

I break it down like this; if you want an authentic sounding clone of a specific era Muff, then by every means go with a SUF version. Each of the 3 I had came as close as you could get to nailing that version of the Muff (you can never really get a 100% clone with a few of the era's as the components differences in them were wide and far). In short, they are 1 trick ponies. That's by no means a put down. You don't use your thoroughbred horse to pull a cart and you don;t have your mule run a race. If you want a certain tone that's as close to authentic as realistically possible, then one of SUF's is what you want to look at.

However, if you want a very versatile, runs the gamut of tones and flexible pedal, you want the Musket. The Musket my not exactly nail any one era Muff version (though it is designed after the Green Russian Muff) it will give you an obvious thick, hairy Muff tone (lol).

The Pre, Focus and Mids knob really allow the pedal to open up. You will not get any other Muff type pedal to sound like ma Musket without boosting it with a TS type pedal to get the Pre boost and the mids that a Muff naturally lacks. The Focus keeps the bass from getting flabby which can happen when boosted with another pedal. The Musket really is just an all around great pedal. I can get gritty Black Key's type tones, to Santana sustain, to Dinosaur Jr wailing. It's the kitchen sink of Muff pedals.

I hope this helps shed a little more light on it for you. Cheers...

Thanks very much :) I think you may have confirmed the musket for me :P

I would like something that's a bit more versatile so the musket is definatley a great option for that

raul
10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
how much more edgier and aggressive is the SUF than the Musket? is it that big of a difference? can the SUF get more of that infamous 'wall of sound' than a Musket? big deep and aggressive. that's the kinda tone i'm after with one of these...

Slow Revolution
10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I find my Civil War to be icy and harsh if that makes sense. I mean that as a cool thing. It's big and full not necessarily deep though. I was mainly using it on a Bass VI tuned b to b and my 909 beats. I've since started using it on guitar, you can get some early heavy NIN tones. I really love that pedal!

Kit Rae
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Icy and Harsh? Are you sure you playing a CW, or you don't have a defective one? I know this is all semantics when we describe sound here, but those are the last two words I would use to describe a CW. They are smooth and warm sounding - for a Big Muff anyway. Nothing harsh at all, and definitely not icy, unless you have the tone completely clockwise. Probably the most unharsh Muffs of the whole lot. Maybe a bit of grit through certain amps, but definitely less gritty than the green Muffs that came after them.

I have some clips of both the SUF CWM and Musket here, BTW.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_Muff%20Inspired%20Pedals%20and%20Clones.html

_jt_
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I almost always play clean but I had to get at least one* fuzz, right? I shopped around for fuzz that could produce sounds I was looking for and be very versatile. I discovered the Mayo, then I discovered they were out of production, and then I discovered the used prices. I ended up buying the Musket instead. It does a great job.

( *Of course I have since bought two additional fuzzes just this month. :) )

Slow Revolution
10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah, mine works right. My 61 Jazzmaster on the bridge pick up into a JC 120 will make it that way though. It's an awesome pedal. I have a 70's muff and green russian and it can dial in a lot more treble than both. Bare in mind I play pretty weird music and like things to sound harsh. I can pull shellac type tones from the civil war and can't from my other muffs.

critter74
10-16-2010, 11:57 PM
That's it man, its the JC-120. I played through a JC-120 for years and it makes any fuzz or distortion pedal icy-picky. In fact I ran that and a Mesa DC-2 in stereo for many, many years (inspired by my then hero Bob Mold who ran a JC-120 and a Fender Twin).

So its not the pedal you're describing. It's the JC-120.

allanh91
10-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Icy and Harsh? Are you sure you playing a CW, or you don't have a defective one? I know this is all semantics when we describe sound here, but those are the last two words I would use to describe a CW. They are smooth and warm sounding - for a Big Muff anyway. Nothing harsh at all, and definitely not icy, unless you have the tone completely clockwise. Probably the most unharsh Muffs of the whole lot. Maybe a bit of grit through certain amps, but definitely less gritty than the green Muffs that came after them.

I have some clips of both the SUF CWM and Musket here, BTW.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_Muff%20Inspired%20Pedals%20and%20Clones.html

Thanks Kit!

I'm honoured you've posted on my thread, you're a legend! The website's great and I'm on it very often listening to the clips.

I'm actually now shooting out between the SUF ram's head and CWM due to price and recommendation. I just don't know whether I want the anger, or the smoothness... oh the humanity!

It's Time!
10-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I will be getting the Twosome that has the Musket and Fix'd Fuzz in one box :JAM