PDA

View Full Version : Shipping at a UPS Store vs. UPS distribution center

michael patrick
10-04-2010, 03:51 AM
I usually ship stuff via FedEx because I have an account. I'm selling a guitar to a guy who has requested UPS, and I've agreed to do that.

I've got a couple of UPS Stores near me, and I also have a UPS distribution center that is a little farther away and has limited customer service hours. Either of the UPS Stores would be more convenient for me than the distribution center.

Would there be a price difference on the shipping at the distribution center vs. the Stores?

Sherman
10-04-2010, 04:05 AM
It's been my experience that shipping from a UPS "store" is more expensive than the Distribution Center for shipping. The stores typically charge more to cover additional overhead costs. This was several years ago and maybe things have changed.

Slackerprince
10-04-2010, 04:30 AM
USPS.

electricfactory
10-04-2010, 04:52 AM
In answer to your question, the UPS Store definitely charges more, a lot more to ship your package. Use the UPS Hub if at all possible.

Jon Silberman
10-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Even if you pre-pay and print your shipping label at home and then just drop your box off at a UPS store?

darkstar11
10-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Even if you pre-pay and print your shipping label at home and then just drop your box off at a UPS store?

If you print at home and drop off at UPS store .. There is no charge.

Also they will scan the package into the system... which is cool.

Scott L
10-04-2010, 05:34 AM
The insurance rate is totally different for the stores, to the tune of 300%

Bryan316
10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
There is no guarantee, that hand-delivering your precious cargo to a UPS distribution center is going to keep your package safe. Because the distribution center near your package's destination STILL has retards dropping your gear and smashing your boxes.

They still have handlers who don't care, forklift operators who are never careful, overhead conveyors that still drop heavy cargo, truck drivers who still chuck things out the back without a care.

Ask your buyer, "why do you WANT a higher risk shipper who destroys musicians' gear?"

USPS or FedEx. I have seen far too many horror stories to ever voluntarily use UPS again.

carbz
10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
I co manage a store and have compared the online rates with our Iship rates. In the comparison the rates I've checked have been nearly identical in most cases yet sometimes they are a little off. The Store rates are set by UPS themselves and the Store owners have no control over it. However things like Insurance can be altered. We charge $2.50 per hundred which I discussed with the owner I felt was too high. I think UPS direct charges $.75 to $1.00 per hundred which I agree is a big difference. The advantage is if you have it packed at the store you can almost be guaranteed to receive a claim payment if damage occurs where as if you pack it and print your own label from our experience they will likely try to deny the claim. Just as fedex or USPS does. Every business exists to make money. If everyone printed their own labels and just dropped packages off there would be no more stores because the owners couldn't afford to have that happen. I've been really cool with most of my customers which helps us keep customers. We don't charge people for a strip of tape and we supply UPS supplies for free where other stores charge. Right now business certainly could be better!