PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelley amps are coming back

Husky
10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Suhr guitars working closely with Jim Kelley are going to resurrect and manufacture the Jim Kelley line and perhaps some new product from Jim as well. I have known Jim since the days of selling the amps to Dire Straits in the 80's. Glorious sounding unique amps that also use a killer attenuator which will also be available separate. We will be 100% true to the original designs and then some. We will keep you posted on new developments, we are moving quickly on this project ! These amps were used by Knopfler (Brothers in Arms), Steve Ferris, Lee Ritenour, Joe Bonamassa, Jim Messina, Vince Gill, Bonnie Raitt, Alan Holdsworth, Robben Ford and many others.
Any wants and wishes let Jim and I know !
www.jimkelleyamplifiers.com

Dog Boy
10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
If true to the original what tubes will they come with? Will they be readily available?

Thanks!

Bobby D
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
that's good news!

those FACS amps are one of the best sounding 6v6 based amps ever.

i was always surprised they never caught on more.

John Buscarino had a really nice FACS head and cabinet in his shop in the 80s as his "test amp" for all the guitars he built. i loved that amp, and it had the attenuator with it.

great to see you bring this line back, i am sure it will be done well since Suhr is doing it! :bow

Steve Snider
10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
That is great news!!!!

Husky
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
If true to the original what tubes will they come with? Will they be readily available?

Thanks!
6V6's there are some great choices these days that hold up excellent.
Jim is also playing around with some other options.
Prototypes should be around NAMM time, we are doing the single channel reverb first but the FACS will follow quickly.
Any request please let us know.

Dog Boy
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
6V6's there are some great choices these days that hold up excellent.

Great! Count me in. The tube issue was the only reason I sold my Rev. Model back in the day. I'm excited!

Pa'ani
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Great news! Thanks for the heads up John...
I loved my Jim Kelly FACS 1X12 Combo, until it was stolen in the early '90's. I had it shipped from Hawaii where I had purchased it from my buddy Jimmy at Stringman.
That was a very special amp, killer cleans and with that attenuator it had a unique and wonderful voice and sustain...

todd richman
10-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Fantastic amps-Farris was a key user and great player with a great mid 80's band.

10-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Great news.

I had a top of the line Kelley FACS, hardwood cab w/cane grill. Unfortunately I had to sell it to meet some financial obligations. It's the one amp I wish I had back.

Dana Olsen
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey John -

Man, that makes me feel GREAT - that's wonderful news.

I have many times said and written that Jim Kelly really ought to get more props: he's one of the first botique amp builders to offer a different and excellent solution to getting a great gain sound and a great clean sound out of the same amp AND didn't just saturate the pre amp tubes - Kelly amps actually get output tube gain ("and that's the richest kind", or maybe that's Folger's coffee GRIN?). Boogie did it too, and Dumble, but with pre-amp gain and master volumes. When the Jim Kelly FACS model came out in around '79, it was one of the best sounding amps in the world for stage use.

Still is one of the best sounding, in my opinion. I'm stoked to hear this news - congrats to both you all and to Jim Kelly. In my book, you are both true innovators.

Thanks, Dana O.

Jahn
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Some nice pics of the original run - intriguing!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=116890

Bobby D
10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
the JJ 6v6S "spiral filament" tubes are probably robust enough to handle the FACS - those are great new production 6v6 tubes, I have been very happy with them in a variety of amps.

I always wondered why the Kelly amps didn't get the legendary status of the "D" style amps, as they are quite good to my ears, and very innovative. :bow

awardsjake
10-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with Dana's comments about "great for stage use". These are not high gain preamp designs but at stage volume they are very flattering. I have a pair of the FACS amps and playing them quietly on the gain channel does not sound
nearly as great as they do at reasonable volumes. Every time I take a FACS out on a gig I look back and smile.
The cleans are beautiful as well.
I'm very happy Jim and John have teamed up.
Jake

foomoola
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey John ,

Well , after I cleaned up the mess of crapping myself .... I collected myself enough to type !!! I was forced to sell BOTH a FACS Combo , AND a VERY RARE LINE amp in the last couple of years , to some VERY LUCKY Gear Pager's !!! I was fortunate enough recently to purchase a 100% original FACS Head with original footswitch AND attenuator ...But I am in for a combo and/ or a LINE style amp if they are in the works !!!! I LOVED those 2 amps and it KILLED me having to sell them .... Any time table as to when these will hit the street??? Which models will be involved ??? Limited quantities or regular production ??? What ever , just let me know if there is a " LIST " or whatever .... YOU MADE MY DAY !!!! THANK YOU ....Dave P.:bow:bow:bow:bow

Husky
10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey John -

Man, that makes me feel GREAT - that's wonderful news.

I have many times said and written that Jim Kelly really ought to get more props: he's one of the first botique amp builders to offer a different and excellent solution to getting a great gain sound and a great clean sound out of the same amp AND didn't just saturate the pre amp tubes - Kelly amps actually get output tube gain ("and that's the richest kind", or maybe that's Folger's coffee GRIN?). Boogie did it too, and Dumble, but with pre-amp gain and master volumes. When the Jim Kelly FACS model came out in around '79, it was one of the best sounding amps in the world for stage use.

Still is one of the best sounding, in my opinion. I'm stoked to hear this news - congrats to both you all and to Jim Kelly. In my book, you are both true innovators.

Thanks, Dana O.
I hope you don't mind we hang on to your amp a little longer as I rebuild it and measure things !

stark
10-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Single Channel Non-Reverb head. One of the greatest amps ever!!! I want one.

Husky
10-08-2010, 03:26 PM

I thought you still had one?

Dana Olsen
10-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I hope you don't mind we hang on to your amp a little longer as I rebuild it and measure things !Happy to help, John (GRIN - doesn't cost me very much effort - GRIN) For me there's ALWAYS some things to drool over at Suhr, this just adds to the pile!

Sincerely, I'm really happy to hear that this collaboration is going on.

I'm STOKED, thanks John, Dana O.

foomoola
10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey Mr. S , Check your PM's ....

Dog Boy
10-08-2010, 04:32 PM

+1

I HOPE you will make this model again!

stark
10-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I thought you still had one?
Bonamassa is rocking mine. Miss it.

Pete Faragher
10-08-2010, 07:47 PM
John.......FANTASTIC !!!!!!
I LOVE my single channel Jim Kelley 30/60. Had it for years.

Are you doing the 30/60 ? Put me in line for one. I'm in.

Cheers
pete

The Eristic
10-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Sweet! Now I'll finally get a chance to play one!

voodoosound
10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
At last............I had been trying to get Jim make me a new one for the last 1.5 years. I am stoked beyond belief. I know you are to Adam. I want at least one.

Hangfire
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm wondering what this will do to the price of the older Jim Kelley amps. Up, down, no difference??? :hide2

Husky
11-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm wondering what this will do to the price of the older Jim Kelley amps. Up, down, no difference??? :hide2
I cant imagine it making the older amps go up.
Mainly because we are leaving no rock unturned, all original components are being used. Jim Kelley is involved on a daily basis.

Pete Faragher
11-12-2010, 03:10 PM

I hope they don't go up. They are a great deal for such a rare and great sounding amp.
Actually I was wondering where the new ones price point will be ???
Can't wait to try one. Likely not going to see one till NAMM ....right John?

57special
11-25-2010, 09:51 PM
John,
A two channel Line amp might be worth putting out.

Jim S
11-25-2010, 09:53 PM
What makes these amps unique and special?

dbeeman
12-06-2010, 06:16 AM

I'd like more info too. I wasn't doing music in the "Jim Kelly era" so I have very little knowledge other than they sounded good and were apparently tough on output tubes?

Husky
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I'd like more info too. I wasn't doing music in the "Jim Kelly era" so I have very little knowledge other than they sounded good and were apparently tough on output tubes?
No it is just that 6V6's had a bad era much the same as EL34's did when Marshall switched to 6L6's. The 6v6's available today will work great.
The Kelley was the first and maybe only amp to have an excellent attenuator which is switchable that can be kicked in or out. The FACS model it was assigned to channel 2. The topology of the amp is pretty unique, and extremely active tone controls. Glorious clean tone that became a favorite of many slide and steel players. You can read more here and did I say the attenuator is one of the best I have ever heard ?
http://www.jimkelleyamplifiers.com/home.htm

hawkeyeinexile
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
i had one of the first Kelleys over here weekend before last. reportedly the first NAMM amp with the Kelley name (from '80? '82?). compact size; spacious, enormous sounds; somewhat heavy. one helluva amp. suitable for all venues from postage stamp indoor club stage to the great outdoors. one of my favorite-ever reverbs, too, even if it is a little Fendery.

several guys around here had them, e.g. tonegurus, BrewBeck...

first thing i thought, "this is the amp Chris Cain *should* have"...

:cool:

snarkle
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I've owned my FACS for 20 years and it still makes me grin whenever I turn it on...looking forward to Version Two!

JiMB
12-12-2010, 06:21 PM
No it is just that 6V6's had a bad era much the same as EL34's did when Marshall switched to 6L6's. The 6v6's available today will work great.
The Kelley was the first and maybe only amp to have an excellent attenuator which is switchable that can be kicked in or out. The FACS model it was assigned to channel 2. The topology of the amp is pretty unique, and extremely active tone controls. Glorious clean tone that became a favorite of many slide and steel players. You can read more here and did I say the attenuator is one of the best I have ever heard ?
http://www.jimkelleyamplifiers.com/home.htm

Nice sounding and looking attenuator.

Jim

guitarman_1
12-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Jim's amps are great. I have owned at least 5 of them, Including 2 protoypes of the Line Amp. I cant wait to see the new ones. My fave ever 6v6 amp, and in my top 5 amps to own of all time.I guess I like them.

57special
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Orlando,
Which was your favorite? Or was it a matter of matching the right amp for the right situation?

guitarman_1
12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I really liked the FACS amp. Thought he Line Amp was great with the master on the lead channel. Tonally they are all the same to my ears.
The amps work well with Altecs 417's and JBL's . Im not an EV fan.
I also loved it into my old 4x12 Marshall cabs with GH30's.The amps have great cleans and verb, and the lead tones are fat and versatile as the active tones controls were killer.

WesKuhnley
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Just spent a half hour perusing the JK website...the schematics section is particularily interesting...JK may be my new amp designer hero.

Shark21
12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I really liked the FACS amp. Thought he Line Amp was great with the master on the lead channel. Tonally they are all the same to my ears.
I also loved it into my old 4x12 Marshall cabs with GH30's.The amps have great cleans and verb, and the lead tones are fat and versatile as the active tones controls were killer.

Hey, Orlando:

I remember trying the one you had in the little shop behind the Colonial Plaza. There was this old jazz player/teacher with a bad eye that looked like Joe Pass telling me that he thought it sounded like the "Ray Vaughan" guy. I think I had my '64 candy red refin. I just remember it sounding great and disappearing before I could get it!

Hangfire
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM

My Line Amp sounds incredible but I'm dying to hear the new Kelley amps.
They've got some big tone shoes to fill...

:bowJim Kelley was ahead of his time!

Husky
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
My Line Amp sounds incredible but I'm dying to hear the new Kelley amps.
They've got some big tone shoes to fill...

:bowJim Kelley was ahead of his time!
Well the beauty of this project is that if you liked them back then you will love the new ones since they are the same amps. ;)

Catoogie
01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
My buddy Dan who is an amazing, AMAZING guitar player was out in LA at Valley Arts many years ago and was playing through a JIm Kelley they had there when a guy comes over and compliments him on his playing. They start talking and at one point Dan says about the Jim Kelley, 'Yeah I always wanted to check one of these out because I heard the guy in Mr Mister uses one.' They guy replies 'Yeah he does, I do... I'm the guy in Mr Mister, I'm Steve Farris.' Dan said he didn't recognize him because he had long hair and beard.

snarkle
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Bump, because Kelleys are wonderful amps and I wanted to see if there was any news about their rebirth!

Question for John/Husky: if you're going to service the old amps, will you be doing cosmetic restoration and/or replacement parts? I could use a new cane grill for my old and well-worn FACS combo...

kevin hart
02-03-2011, 06:43 AM

+1

i played a single channel non-reverb 1x12 model that a guy had for sale back in the day, but i couldn't afford it. sweet amp! i want one as well.

csanford
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
+1

i played a single channel non-reverb 1x12 model that a guy had for sale back in the day, but i couldn't afford it. sweet amp! i want one as well.

Single (or dual) channel line amp for me please. I've always wanted one of those!

chris

fyrwyr
02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Well the beauty of this project is that if you liked them back then you will love the new ones since they are the same amps. ;)

If it ain't broke....

I gotta see what the excitement is all about; what recordings feature this amp???

Pete Faragher
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Bump, because Kelleys are wonderful amps and I wanted to see if there was any news about their rebirth!...

I was wondering the same.....was there any NAMM news about this?

Mikie K
02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
If it ain't broke....

I gotta see what the excitement is all about; what recordings feature this amp??? I bought a Jim Kelley FACS amp because of Lee Ritenour's "Feel the Night" Album-still his best guitar tones ever IMHO-I think he used a couple of single channel 30-60's with his 335 and a strat on one track.

"Brothers in Arms" Dire Straits is mostly Kelley as is "Green Light" Bonnie Raitt.

Would like to hear about more recordings if anyone knows?

Mike

csanford
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I bought a Jim Kelley FACS amp because of Lee Ritenour's "Feel the Night" Album-still his best guitar tones ever IMHO-I think he used a couple of single channel 30-60's with his 335 and a strat on one track.

"Brothers in Arms" Dire Straits is mostly Kelley as is "Green Light" Bonnie Raitt.

Would like to hear about more recordings if anyone knows?

Mike

Allan Holdsworth on 'Devil Take the Hindmost' - single channel Kelley Line Amp.

The guy from Little River Band used them too... but I think that was a FACS.

chris

matte
02-20-2011, 06:23 PM
unique design, loved the response and timbral breadth of the facs. had one a few years back. would love another.

btw, john, i ran big bottle 6ca7 sylvanias in mine for a bit. can the circuit be optimized for this?

voodoosound
02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Im still waiting to grab one as well. Last I was told late march? Is that still right John?

Steve Snider
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I hear Bonamassa used a Jim Kelley amp to record an entire record.

voodoosound
02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I hear Bonamassa used a Jim Kelley amp to record an entire record.

Yes the one he bought from Adam S.

Rick Towne
02-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Interesting. I had 5 of them through the '90's, and in fact I recall meeting Dana O on line back then discussing a 4x10 he had (?). All had reverb. Mine were a single channel 1x10, a Line Amp with master and non-master channels and a 6v6 reverb driver, another similarly configured two channel Line Amp, a maple cab two channel with both channels non-master, and a single channel 1x12. Very loud and thick toned, but I eventually wearied of the tone. Good to see them back.

wichita
02-22-2011, 06:41 AM
I used to use a couple of the 60 watt heads for my clean rig that belonged to a friend of mine.
Very nice sounding amps.

Red Suede
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Didn't know he used one on "Feel The Night". I'm sure that he used one on the "RIT" album. At least that's the way mine sounds.

PSaulino
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I had a 30/60 reverb combo purchased from Wes Patterson in 1988. It replaced a bunch of Mesa gear and was my main gigging amp till 1997. I tried a lot of speakers, loved the EV but it was too heavy in that config. I settled on a Kendrick Black Frame 12, one of the original with the trombone cone. Sounded KILLER. In a bout of stupidity I sold it to Everette Eglin, a slide player who lived in New Orleans. Would love to get it back :-)

John, any idea of a release date? Also what speakers are you touting these days in those amps (the $64,000 question :-)

Paul

PS: Where have you gone, Everette Eglin?

wichita
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
I can't wait for this new release.
I'm stepping up for one.
As I said I had 2 heads I used in the 80s and they were incredible sounding.

Shark21
08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Is there a line forming? I'd like to get in. I had a 1x15 FACS combo in the early eighties. I'd really like a 1x12 or a 2x12 combo with all the options. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

TNJ
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Me too...I'm looking for a 2 channel FACS style combo.

Where do I sign???

S.
j

Rod
08-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Great! Count me in. The tube issue was the only reason I sold my Rev. Model back in the day. I'm excited!

Same with me and my FACS... Now that JJ makes a 6V6 that can take 500 volts, the FACS would really be a trouble free amp

hawkeyeinexile
09-17-2011, 10:45 AM
have had an old single-channel one here the past week...gotta be in my all-time top 5 (over 40 yrs). Tim Volpicella (http://timvolpicella.com/) came over yesterday & was knocked out by it, which is really rare...

what's the latest on this collaboration?

Red Suede
09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I have a 1-12" FACS which is my club amp lately. I'll be using it tonight at Neto's in Santa Clara Ca in case any of you in the San Jose area want to hear what one sounds like.

TNJ
09-18-2011, 02:37 AM
Tim Schroeder has my recently acquired FACS 112 Hardwood combo in Chicago for some repair work.
They called me on Friday to say it was a cap job and would be in touch this week.

(fingers crossed)

S.
j

Bobby D
09-18-2011, 06:10 AM
i can't wait to see and hear the new ones by Suhr -- and yes, the JJ 6v6S model tubes are perfect for the FACS -- which is a big deciding factor for me with tube amps -- i want to be sure i have something that the power tubes are easily and cheaply replaced in. no more 6550 amps :bonk

the FACS is an amp I have loved since the 80s, but have never had the chance to own one. and it's a classic design that should be as respected and desired as the Dumble, IMHO........a great, touch sensitive tube amp that can get great sounds at nearly any volume level.....

J D Miley
09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I had and used a Jim Kelley 1/12 FACS combo (Koa hard wood cab) for my main amp for 6 years, I am a total dumb ass for selling it. Best amp I ever had ! When these new ones come back out I am getting one ASAP !!!!!

big mike
09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
have had an old single-channel one here the past week...gotta be in my all-time top 5 (over 40 yrs). Tim Volpicella (http://timvolpicella.com/) came over yesterday & was knocked out by it, which is really rare...

what's the latest on this collaboration?

That D-O-C's old one Jeff?
That was a killer amp.

hawkeyeinexile
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
That D-O-C's old one Jeff?
That was a killer amp.

yeahman. he's still got it - just took him a minute to remember where :jo .

it still is killer. seriously felonious ;)

Loni Specter
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm taking a wild guess that there might be a prototype at the LA AMP SHOW in Suhr's room.:hide2

GAT
09-29-2011, 09:53 PM
John has been restoring an FACS for me and Scott Redding. It should be done about now, ready to be shipped.

Dana Olsen
09-29-2011, 11:31 PM
John has been restoring an FACS for me and Scott Redding. It should be done about now, ready to be shipped.Hey Gil -

John and Jim have my FACS 4x10 model too, for restoration.

John Suhr is legendary for his contributions to the guitar and amp world, and Jim Kelly ought to be legendary as well for his contributions.

What great amps.

Thanks, Dana O.

man_mars
09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Expected release date ?

Husky
09-30-2011, 09:06 AM
John has been restoring an FACS for me and Scott Redding. It should be done about now, ready to be shipped.
Yes it is ready ! Give us a call today :omg

Husky
09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Expected release date ?
Before the new year :hiP

hawkeyeinexile
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM

hey, Gil, this is where our tastes truly intersect. enjoy!

TDJMB
09-30-2011, 10:59 AM
And I thought my amp gas was over ...

man_mars
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Before the new year :hiP

Very Cool :dude Cheers !!!

TNJ
10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I'll tell you,
I have a Jim Kelley FACS 112 combo that I just got back from Tim Schroeder's place in Chicago yesterday.
The cleans on this thing have to be heard to be believed.
Just awesome, with plenty of character and depth.
It has an EVM12L installed, which works very well with this amp.
The overdrive (channel 1) with the external attenuator is also fat and meaty, with a mid boost that helps put it over the top.

I'm a believer in Kelley amps.

S.
j

aussiemeats
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
G'Day,

I heard Joe Bonamassa play thru one at The Baked Potato in L.A. on two different occasions

I was sold..

I want one..let me know when they're ready please

Cheers

boogieongtr
11-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I had a pair of the FACS heads that I ran in stereo back in the 80's but sold them. I just recently picked up a single channel 30/60 that has knocked my Komet Concorde and Brown Note Blue Monkey 88 off and now is my #1 go to amp. I think I'll buy one of the new single channel amps when they come out to compare it to my original. Is there a pre order list to get on????

snarkle
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Is there a pre order list to get on????

Enquiring minds want to know.

For that matter, enquiring minds want to make sure they have cash in the bank when the new Kelleys are ready to ship!

Husky
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Enquiring minds want to know.

For that matter, enquiring minds want to make sure they have cash in the bank when the new Kelleys are ready to ship!
Yes we are taking names to call.
you can email shon at suhrguitars.com

snarkle
12-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Email sent!

Any sense of what the price is going to be?

Husky
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Email sent!

Any sense of what the price is going to be?
Not until we have everything completely sourced out and the first build complete. It wont be long though for a price.
Thanks

Steve Rigby
12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
John,

Which model are you bringing to market first - the 30/60 or FACS?

Thanks,

Steve

Husky
12-11-2011, 10:20 PM
John,

Which model are you bringing to market first - the 30/60 or FACS?

Thanks,

Steve
30/60 single channel and attenuator first.
We will have a hardwood option as well
Then FACS
Then Line amp
Then maybe some new projects.

man_mars
12-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Then FACS
Then Line amp

Interested in the attenuator. Will it identical to the one on the Kelly amps website or are there some tweaks and or additional features ?

Pete Faragher
12-12-2011, 01:49 AM

YES !!!!!!!

Can't wait John.
Pete

Steve Rigby
12-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Then FACS
Then Line amp

That's what I was hoping for...thanks John.

wichita
12-12-2011, 05:47 AM
That is going to be a very cool line guys... can't wait to hear it.

Husky
12-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Interested in the attenuator. Will it identical to the one on the Kelly amps website or are there some tweaks and or additional features ?

We will be making the attenuator as well
There is a Bright switch on the new units.
I believe Jim still has some available from his last run.
It is the best sounding attenuator I have experience and I have tried them all.

man_mars
12-12-2011, 09:47 AM

That's great news. Best sounding attenuator, now that's got me excited :) Really looking forward to this :aok

snarkle
12-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I also thought my amp GAS was over, but apparently it's not...and I'm very pleased that there will be a hardwood option.

Marc Roy
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I've always heard nothing but great things about these amps. I'll be very interested to her them once they are released.

Dave_C
12-23-2011, 01:22 PM

I have a Kelley attenuator which I purchased earlier this year and it has 3-position bright switch too. Is there something different about the bright switch on the new ones?

Husky
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a Kelley attenuator which I purchased earlier this year and it has 3-position bright switch too. Is there something different about the bright switch on the new ones?
I dont think so, the old units didn't have the bright switch.

Dave_C
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I dont think so, the old units didn't have the bright switch.

Thanks!

PSaulino
01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
John - any update on when the amps will debut?

Steve Rigby
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
John,

Can you please give us an update??

Thanks,

Steve

voodoosound
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Indeed. When?

Jim Kelley
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I am sitting here looking at the first Single Channel Reverb Model prototype. It sounds every bit as good as - maybe even better than, any amp that I ever built. I couldn't be happier with the sound and build quality. Players who know these amps instantly recognize the tone and feel. It's a reincarnation, and John is to be congratulated. But this is a process that I believe should not be rushed, and I doubt that he will ever be accused of rushing it. ;-)

JK

Pete Faragher
02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I am sitting here looking at the first Single Channel Reverb Model prototype. It sounds every bit as good as - maybe even better than, any amp that I ever built. I couldn't be happier with the sound and build quality. Players who know these amps instantly recognize the tone and feel. It's a reincarnation, and John is to be congratulated. But this is a process that I believe should not be rushed, and I doubt that he will ever be accused of rushing it. ;-)

JK

OKAY !!!!! :rotflmao Bring it on Jim/John......we have been waiting a long time !!!
Well at least I've had my original 30/60 to keep me in check.

cheers
pete

r9player
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Congrats Jim!

Steve Rigby
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM

JK

Jim,

That's fantastic!!! Any idea when we can expect delivery of production units?

Thanks,

Steve

Husky
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Jim,

That's fantastic!!! Any idea when we can expect delivery of production units?

Thanks,

Steve

It will be real soon. We are just making a physical tweak to the chassis and are gathering the long lead time parts like the custom CTS pots.
We should be taking orders for the Head and 1x12 30/60 with Reverb in the next 6 weeks. We will make sure to update with delivery dates as well.
There will also be hard wood options. We will post updates on the site as soon as we are ready to release the first phase.
This amp has such a glorious vintage bark, amazing pedal amp too. We stayed very true to anything that could possibly affect the tone. It has been a blast recreating a great amp. Jim and I will be working on a lot of fun stuff in the near future.

Mark Kane
02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to it.

stark
02-10-2012, 07:34 PM

JK
Can't wait to hear it!! Congrats!

Steve Snider
02-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I love it!!!! Can't wait! :p

It will be real soon. We are just making a physical tweak to the chassis and are gathering the long lead time parts like the custom CTS pots.
We should be taking orders for the Head and 1x12 30/60 with Reverb in the next 6 weeks. We will make sure to update with delivery dates as well.
There will also be hard wood options. We will post updates on the site as soon as we are ready to release the first phase.
This amp has such a glorious vintage bark, amazing pedal amp too. We stayed very true to anything that could possibly affect the tone. It has been a blast recreating a great amp. Jim and I will be working on a lot of fun stuff in the near future.

kevin hart
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
This is great news.

PSaulino
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM

John/Jim,

Any thoughts about speakers for those 1x12 combos? I always felt that EVMs sounded great but made the amps too heavy.

FWIW my absolute fave speaker in that amp was a Kendrick branded 12" black frame from his original production run in '89 or '90, the one with the "trombone cone" and all the hyperbole that went with it. I could run the JK with the treble at 11:00 and the bass dimed, and at those settings the highs, lows, and mids were in just the right place without pulling the bright switch, etc. That speaker sounded great and made the amp giggable.

Paul

hawkeyeinexile
02-11-2012, 10:38 AM
John/Jim,

Any thoughts about speakers for those 1x12 combos? I always felt that EVMs sounded great but made the amps too heavy.
...l

the one i'm most familiar with has a 15-ohm Celestion G10-65. the whole package is just one heckuva sound...

hawkeyeinexile
06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
yowzah (http://suhrguitars.com/JimKelley.aspx)

http://suhrguitars.com/images/jimKelley/full_front.jpg

man_mars
06-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Looks amazing and the demo sounds great :aok

zepled112
06-02-2012, 07:16 AM
how much will these amps cost?:huh

Dave_C
06-02-2012, 06:12 PM
This is great news.

:agree

Demo sounds great! You bringin' one to the next tonefest, Kevin???

kevin hart
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
:agree

Demo sounds great! You bringin' one to the next tonefest, Kevin???

Maybe, but I'll need to wait till the head is released since i'm old. ha ha

chevchenko
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
From what I understand the Kelley amp guys like Verheyen and Rit used were two channel amps, but isn't this a one channel amp?

Will he build the two channel verison?

Anyone know the cost?

Mikie K
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
All the photos I've seen of Rit are with two of the one channel amps-Not sure if he used a FACS.

I think Carl had two or three FACS amps when he was touring with them?

Mike

Blix
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
how much will these amps cost?:huh

$3995.

chevchenko
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
All the photos I've seen of Rit are with two of the one channel amps-Not sure if he used a FACS.

I think Carl had two or three FACS amps when he was touring with them?

Mike
So will Jim make the FACS amp again? I'd be really interested in that.

Husky
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
So will Jim make the FACS amp again? I'd be really interested in that.
Yes !

chevchenko
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes !
Any idea when that is going to happen?

PSaulino
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
$3995.

In 1986 dollars that would have been $2,036.54

Paul

Blix
06-04-2012, 01:23 PM

Paul

I want 1986 back, seriously. :)

Jim Kelley
06-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Paul

With an EV speaker, in figured hardwood, cane grill, and with normal dealer markup, that's pretty much what this amp would have cost new in 1985. I think these are a little better.

jk

PSaulino
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
With an EV speaker, in figured hardwood, cane grill, and with normal dealer markup, that's pretty much what this amp would have cost new in 1985. I think these are a little better.

jk

Yep - little econ for the folks at TGP.
I'm trying to be scholarly Jim.

Paul

Shiny McShine
02-09-2013, 03:54 PM

I think it's the way he implemented an attenuator and a volume control with relays so that you could change both simultaneously. Otherwise, it was simply a well constructed Fender-ish amp.

Now it's been years since I played them but back in the 80's, my friend bought two from Jim and ran them in stereo into a couple of Flagg cabs with G12M's. It was a nice sounding rig and one of the best around at the time.

As I recall he had reverb in the amp but I'm not sure now. I know there wasn't tremolo though.

chevchenko
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
For 4K it seems a bit over priced.

dbeeman
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

John Suhr makes some great amps no doubt. They are on the pricey side.

SSgt93
02-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I thought my Silver Sonic was pricey, wow.

Seegs
02-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I now see that this comes in a black tolex head format...

Can anyone tell me what speaker outs the head has?

I would need 1X 16om and 2X 8ohms taps...

Also I looked but couldn't find any in Germany...do you know of any German dealers...Station-music or Session-music that have them in stock?

Chow,
Seegs

Husky
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
It has a 4 and a 8 ohm output
If I read you correctly you have two different cabinets, 2 - 8 ohm cabinets (4 ohm load) and 1 - 16 ohm cab not to be used at the same time?
We could probably do a custom that has an extra jack for jacks for the 4 ohm load (2x8) or an impedance selector. Why do you need both? Is it separate cabinets? You could run a 16 on the 8 without harm to the amp even though not optimal or I could talk to Jim about a custom with 16. Please shoot us an email, they can also help you out with dealers.
Thanks

I now see that this comes in a black tolex head format...

Can anyone tell me what speaker outs the head has?

I would need 1X 16om and 2X 8ohms taps...

Also I looked but couldn't find any in Germany...do you know of any German dealers...Station-music or Session-music that have them in stock?

Chow,
Seegs

Husky
02-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Hand wiring, custom parts do get pricey these days. Sorry but it is what it is and on the hardwood version we are not even making the margins we should be. Each one of these is meticulously built by hand by one builder.

Seegs
02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I have two 16ohm cabs...so I need one 16ohm op and two op's in parallel that can be set to 8ohms for when I run both cabs which have Celestion Golds...

Chow,
Seegs

It has a 4 and a 8 ohm output
If I read you correctly you have two different cabinets, 2 - 8 ohm cabinets (4 ohm load) and 1 - 16 ohm cab not to be used at the same time?
We could probably do a custom that has an extra jack for jacks for the 4 ohm load (2x8) or an impedance selector. Why do you need both? Is it separate cabinets? You could run a 16 on the 8 without harm to the amp even though not optimal or I could talk to Jim about a custom with 16. Please shoot us an email, they can also help you out with dealers.
Thanks

Husky
02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I have two 16ohm cabs...so I need one 16ohm op and two op's in parallel that can be set to 8ohms for when I run both cabs which have Celestion Golds...

Chow,
Seegs

Yes so you need 2-8ohm jacks and 1-16, I'd contact sales for that request.
I'm not so sure that is the right speaker for this amp though.

Reverb
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes so you need 2-8ohm jacks and 1-16, I'd contact sales for that request.
I'm not so sure that is the right speaker for this amp though.

Any timing for when the 1st Heads will start shipping?

chevchenko
02-17-2013, 11:38 AM
I cannot remember what everyone used with this amp? Seems like it was an EV

Husky
02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
I cannot remember what everyone used with this amp? Seems like it was an EV
Yes they were but it still sounds Awesome with a 4x12 and Greenbacks as well. Orders for Heads are being filled so they will be shipping very soon.
Attenuators even though it is not clear on the site yet are available now.
Thanks

Reverb
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes they were but it still sounds Awesome with a 4x12 and Greenbacks as well. Orders for Heads are being filled so they will be shipping very soon.
Attenuators even though it is not clear on the site yet are available now.
Thanks

Do you see Heads possibly shipping this month yet?

Husky
02-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Do you see Heads possibly shipping this month yet?
I think they are scheduled for March but you could shoot an email to DavidATsuhr.com, he should know
Thanks

sinasl1
03-03-2013, 02:04 PM
my Kelley demo... hope you all enjoy! :) :rockin

ouVuF-y8bog

dbeeman
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
very nice. Thanks Pete!

Reverb
03-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Pete, Great demo as usual :rimshot

57special
03-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Great demo, Pete! No surprise here that it sounded so good with a 335.

rreiser
03-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Great job Pete ! What speakers were you using ? I had a Kelley amp in the mid 80's but went thru some hard times and had to sell it. Would love to pick one of these up. Thanks

sinasl1
03-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Great job Pete ! What speakers were you using ? I had a Kelley amp in the mid 80's but went thru some hard times and had to sell it. Would love to pick one of these up. Thanks

I was using a Suhr cab with a Scum H30 type, and a Celestion Lynchback (cross between a greenback and a Fane).....

Mikie K
03-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Sounds great Pete! Thanks for the demo.

I remember Richard Smith being a great player with great tone and a great guy too. He and Lee Ritenour inspired me to get a Kelley way back-still love that amp!

Mike

TNJ
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Pretty frickin' awesome work, Pete.
Especially loved the:
1)Clean Strat workout
2)The gained out ES335 workout

Quite the amp!

S.
j

Dave_C
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
my Kelley demo... hope you all enjoy! :) :rockin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouVuF-y8bog">YouTube Link</a>

Awesome demo, Pete! Loved it. Congrats to John and Jim on this release! I have that same Kelley attenuator with the plug in front. The box has a really affinity for my Dr. Zs and Allen Accomplice. Really brings out a smooth singing tone in those puppies. Would live to try a Kelley amp some day as well! Best of luck to y'all on this one!

mudster
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
That was a very helpful demo. Great work! Will you do an AXE FXII tone match for this amp? That would be very cool.