PDA

View Full Version : Pod XT vs Pod HD

bmi
10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
It's here (credit to VTM http://steve.cheney.free.fr/got147/?cat=02_My_Music)

Pod HD
http://steve.cheney.online.fr/podhd/treadplate%20presetVTM_Rocktified-Mixed.mp3

Pod XT
http://steve.cheney.online.fr/podhd/VTM-DiamondPlate-podxt.mp3

Yek
10-12-2010, 04:36 AM
If these clips prove anything, it's the inability of the player to tune his guitar and dial things in correctly.

bmi
10-12-2010, 04:41 AM
I think that your comments here and on the FAS forum prove something, but not about the pod.

GuitarTone
10-12-2010, 04:55 AM
This thread is a waste of space.

Brick_top
10-12-2010, 05:02 AM
If these clips prove anything, it's the inability of the player to tune his guitar and dial things in correctly.

+1

:rotflmao

Pietro
10-12-2010, 06:06 AM
It's apples to oranges, since it's different pieces of music, but... they are similar...

I can clearly hear some fizz in the XT demo (funny, I never had much of a fizz problem with my XT Pro, though) and I don't hear it in the HD demo.

To your credit, bmi, this thread is NOT a waste of space. You just stuck the clips up there and let us listen. Didn't even say what you though first. Thanks. Sorry that you had to get flamed for it.

bmi
10-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks, you have understood all.

Pietro
10-12-2010, 06:14 AM
bmi,

I'm confused... Do you like the HD? Because elsewhere I think you've indicated otherwise.

tatkovladko
10-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Let's not turn the thread into "bmi vs PODHD", just take it for what it is. For me, I was given two recordings that I'd probably never find myself, so I listened to them carefully and to my ears the author managed a far nicer tone/mix with the newer gear. That's all.

GuitarTone
10-12-2010, 06:37 AM
bmi,

I'm confused... Do you like the HD? Because elsewhere I think you've indicated otherwise.

LOL, Pietro, you've missed the point, he's trying to prove to the entire planet that the XT is as good as the HD...have you not been reading his posts?

Pietro
10-12-2010, 07:01 AM
LOL, Pietro, you've missed the point, he's trying to prove to the entire planet that the XT is as good as the HD...have you not been reading his posts?

Let's also extend a little grace as he's translating everything into English as he goes I fear.

But in any case, he didn't prove that here by a long shot... Perhaps some have lost their high-frequency hearing and can't hear that amazing fizz.

bmi
10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
bmi,

My answer has to be long and i know that probably for many aspects didn't please you so...

Pietro
10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't need to be "pleased", bmi, but if you're basing your assumption that the XT and HD are the same based on clips like this, I might add you to my ignore list, because there is something wacky with your ears...

I can NOT understand what you're talking about here.

Groovadile
10-12-2010, 07:09 AM
My answer has to be long and i know that probably for many aspects didn't please you so...

well, your opinion should state your point of view, not please us... if you're afraid that somebody will be sad after you diss pod HD (or whatever, i am not a fanboy of HD) i must cheer you up: probably nobody cares THAT much about your opinion

toelessfoot
10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Even though this is not a great comparison I definitely prefer the tone from the XT here. Something in the HD tone has a bloated fartiness to it.

Pietro
10-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Wow. My experience through headphones and speakers both was totally opposite yours.

bmi
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I can hear the fizz.

Pietro
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
bmi,

In which? Both?

Groovadile
10-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Some persons hear fizz, some can hear voices. Life is hard.

(pure fun intended, no hard feelings :D)

toelessfoot
10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I like tones with more high end content. Probably why I like 11r tones so much.

bmi
10-12-2010, 09:29 AM
bmi,

In which? Both?
In the XT.
No fizz in the HD, in the same time it sounds more "rounded" if it makes sense.

Chris Beaver
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Ive never understood why a lot of people complained about the fizz with line6 stuff its very easy to remove all fizz from a recording with a lo pass filter. i like a bit of fizz anyway it can add a sparkle/gloss/sheen to the right song.

toelessfoot
10-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I much rather have a fizzy tone then one that sounds blanketed since it's easier to remove something that's there then it is to add something that isn't.

Groovadile
10-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I much rather have a fizzy tone then one that sounds blanketed since it's easier to remove something that's there then it is to add something that isn't.

got any tattoos? :D

toelessfoot
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
got any tattoos? :D

Anyone can remove a tattoo with the right tool but it takes an artist to add one.

Bah nevermind you got me, but you know what I mean.

fr8_trane
10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Ive never understood why a lot of people complained about the fizz with line6 stuff its very easy to remove all fizz from a recording with a lo pass filter. i like a bit of fizz anyway it can add a sparkle/gloss/sheen to the right song.

Removing the fizz also removes upper harmonics which add realistic sparkle and life to the tone. What I wanted was a modeled amp tone that gives me that sparkle/sheen WITHOUT the fizz. Prior to the HD I would argue L6 did not offer that.

Elric
10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Removing the fizz also removes upper harmonics which add realistic sparkle and life to the tone. What I wanted was a modeled amp tone that gives me that sparkle/sheen WITHOUT the fizz. Prior to the HD I would argue L6 did not offer that.

FWIW, if you have a real parametric EQ available after the amp model (like in a recording situation with plug-ins or a rack/FX unit that can do a real notch not the four band semi-parametric built-in) it's really easy to notch it and not kill the high end of your tone. I know not everyone wants a dedicated EQ in the their rig, though. The XT is a beast with an external EQ. It's most people's big gripe with the unit, and I've always found it ironic that it was really easy to address.

Pietro
10-12-2010, 12:15 PM

I think the sparkle and life are there on my HD, though. Tone-wise, I'm delighted.

Badside
10-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Fizz or not fizz, I really liked using the XT for recording... until plugins got better.
But for live it was just not happening, tried everything and I still got buried behind the band while plugging straight into the Marshall made me cut right through without using overbearing volume.
I'm really hoping the HD fixes that. Else I'll just use it to replace all my pedals and get a free Whammy in the deal :)

fr8_trane
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I think the sparkle and life are there on my HD, though. Tone-wise, I'm delighted.

From the clips I would tend to agree (I'm on backorder right now). My comment was directed towards removing the fizz from the PODxt tracks

Yeah you can use a notch EQ or 2 or 3 to kill most of the the fizz. I did it that way too. Its more annoying than turning on the unit and hearing a fizz free tone.

Kadmium
10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Real Dual and Triple rectifiers get fizzy in the high end, particularly if the presence knob is above half (and particularly on bright cabs). They're not as bad as Engls, but the fizz is there in the real thing. There's not really anything useful above 12khz anyway, so a low-pass filter will solve the problem in all of these cases.

fr8_trane
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Real Dual and Triple rectifiers get fizzy in the high end, particularly if the presence knob is above half (and particularly on bright cabs). They're not as bad as Engls, but the fizz is there in the real thing. There's not really anything useful above 12khz anyway, so a low-pass filter will solve the problem in all of these cases.

The fizz is present in ALL distorted amps on the XT not just the recto.

If you low pass a marshall or a vox to the point where the fizz goes away you lose the magic.

Kadmium
10-12-2010, 07:55 PM
If the important part of your guitar tone is that high, you're going to be competing for frequency space with hi hats and cymbals, and your drummer's going to win (and rightly so). If your tone can't survive being low-passed at 12k and high-passed at 150 hz (both of which any good mixing engineer will do), you should probably try a different approach.

You probably shouldn't be approaching guitar tone in a vacuum. The guitar sound is part of the overall musical texture of the band and needs to sound good in that context, but it doesn't necessarily need to sound good by itself.

speedyone
10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
The guitar sound is part of the overall musical texture of the band and needs to sound good in that context, but it doesn't necessarily need to sound good by itself.

I would agree, BUT, when I'm jamming at home alone, getting the horrible "fizz" and weird overtones is incredibly annoying.

I thought it was insane that my Johnson J-Station sounded better than my Line 6 Vetta II combo amp (in regard to high-gain fizziness).

I did not realize one could have an external eq to cut out the annoying fizz; if I had, I may have kept my Line 6 gear.

Hopefully, the new HD series addresses this issue, for a (mainly) bedroom player like me.

It seems rather silly to have to use a plug-in or buy an external eq to fix this issue, especially when all I want to do is use my sparse free time to play music.

fr8_trane
10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
If the important part of your guitar tone is that high, you're going to be competing for frequency space with hi hats and cymbals, and your drummer's going to win (and rightly so). If your tone can't survive being low-passed at 12k and high-passed at 150 hz (both of which any good mixing engineer will do), you should probably try a different approach.

You probably shouldn't be approaching guitar tone in a vacuum. The guitar sound is part of the overall musical texture of the band and needs to sound good in that context, but it doesn't necessarily need to sound good by itself.

I agree to a point. But The fizz wasn't above 12k it was it was usually in the 5-10k range. The best way to deal with it was notch filters as per this article by Craig anderton.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1652

The guitar sound is part of the overall musical texture of the band and needs to sound good in that context, but it doesn't necessarily need to sound good by itself.

I would agree, BUT, when I'm jamming at home alone, getting the horrible "fizz" and weird overtones is incredibly annoying.

I thought it was insane that my Johnson J-Station sounded better than my Line 6 Vetta II combo amp (in regard to high-gain fizziness).

I did not realize one could have an external eq to cut out the annoying fizz; if I had, I may have kept my Line 6 gear.

Hopefully, the new HD series addresses this issue, for a (mainly) bedroom player like me.

It seems rather silly to have to use a plug-in or buy an external eq to fix this issue, especially when all I want to do is use my sparse free time to play music.

The fizz could be dealt with but there was no cure for ghost notes found on many of the XT models. THAT really drove me crazy.

PinkPanther
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Interesting

Will Chen
10-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I still have my J-Station and it sounds more natural and dimensional than most other modelers, POD 2.0 , podXT, Pod X3. But what kills me is how digitech didn't improve one bit on the Johnson Technology. I figured if I got any of the RP series by digitech they would sound better because they include the same models and presumably the core algorithms. But the J-station still has better sounding AMP MODELS than Digitech RP series and POD, Xt and X3 even though J Station is 10 years old.

The J-Station was a fantastic piece of gear. But it did have some faults as well, a few of the models were particularly ice-picky. If you want the J-Station sound with a bit more flexibility, the GNX3000 has the same core modelling engine but with cabinet modeling which allow you to tweak tonal characteristics as well as their Warp feature to combine 2 amps and or cabs to create a new custom amp. I sold off my GNX3000 a few years ago and had a run with the newer Digitech RP units (and a bunch other stuff) but I'm going to pick one pack up when I find a deal.

PinkPanther
10-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Interesting

Elric
10-13-2010, 01:16 PM

That may be all well and good in the studio or at your Krokus tribute band's next bar gig but when I'm up on stage playing Madison Square Bedroom, all by my lonesome with no backing instruments, my labradoodle is DEFINITELY going to KNOW if those high order harmonics have been shelved because I have to fill out the entire spectrum myself.

And I'll be damned if I'm going to disappoint man's best friend.