PDA

View Full Version : best el84's

stark
04-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Any recommendations on el84 brands (NOS). I'm looking to get some NOS examples. Who stocks the most variations?

thanks
Adam Stark

mtndog
04-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Adam,

sorry to be off topic but did you get teh delay yet? ( My emails may not have been reaching you)

Gary

Blueser
04-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Greg Levy at HiTest has a pretty extensive collection of NOS EL84's. I am not sure what Mike over at KCA has but he usually has some nice goodies all the time.

Honestly, I thought Mullard EL84s were a bit bright sounding to my ears, though I am sure much of that has to do with the amp, and speaker setup as well. I heard that the Valvos are some of the very best NOS EL84's, and they apparently take a real pounding, though I haven't played them myself.

IPlayHamers
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Try the Valvo E84L's at HiTest. I hear they are the bees knees

flicker180
04-22-2005, 09:22 PM
i use Mullards on my Ghia...perfect chime to them.

dave

stark
04-22-2005, 10:08 PM
What's the hitest link?

Adam Stark

patchesprescott
04-22-2005, 10:55 PM
www.hitestguitars.com

ghost
04-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Ive got em all
Here's a start
Mullard- Good for the 18 watters- Focused mid chunk
GE- even tempered clarity with moderate bass works great in all 84 amps and affordable
Telefunken- Top end detail of the gods
Valvo- definitive AC30 power plant
covers all the bases tonally and works wonders with the filters and adds the sensitivity to the touch.

hipfan
04-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Sorry, I don't have much NOS EL84 experience. However, I noticed these Russian "EB" series EL84's from Tube Tramp (scroll down a bit) (http://www.tubetramp.com/) recently.

The seller's claims make these sound like some interesting tubes, especially with the money back guarantee. Anyone try these these things?

JZWest
04-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Ghost, you nailed it. Not much else one can add.

Cept maybe mixing a pair of Teles with Valvo's of the same value. A friend mentioned this as his favorite so I'm looking forward to trying it out. The Tele's top end just kills!

One day in the near future I'm going to trying mixing tubes up. Why not.

ps;
HiTest is a little too expensive for me. There are other options.

pirateflynn
04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
I really like Mullards in my Blockhead First Born 18 and Matchless Lightning. The GE EL84's that came with my HC 30 sound very good also!

:cool:

davebc
04-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Mullards in my Lightning,GE's in the DC-30.
Another you hear very little about that Greg over at Hi Test convinced to try and blew me away were the Valvo's,amazing.

blues
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Hipfan,I have bel preamp tubes and Ive got several sets of el 84s I have not tried the ebs yet but I have some,ive use the old telsa,funkwerks,and a tube called telams and they kill in my aiken invader.Ive got them from TT.He knows tone and tubes.Im sold.With my invader and an old melody maker with vintage p-90s installed its like leslie west on steroids.:D

Lamont
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Hummmm?Adam,are you gonna build an amp w/ the forementioned tube?Played the Fire and the x-ray .Great !!!
Any more info on my buddy JK-just the Facs(if ya know what i mean)

stark
04-25-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm just enjoying this old Matchless SC30 I picked up and wanted to get a fresh set of tubes in it. Not much going on amp wise from me until I get my CD done. Nothing but respect for JK, I'm a fan.

Adam Stark

goneracin
04-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Adam
I really like the holland Amperex EL84's. Seem to have the best combination of chime, and also grit and crunch of anything. More articulate than the Mullards IMO. Check out KCANOS he usually has a decent supply it looks like.
Bob

Blue Strat
04-26-2005, 04:46 AM
The NOS Tesla (NOT JJ) EL84s are great. Higher output than a lot of the others, stay focused at higher playing volumes, etc.

Jack Briggs
04-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by stark
Any recommendations on el84 brands (NOS). I'm looking to get some NOS examples. Who stocks the most variations?

thanks
Adam Stark

Telefunkens for my money. Try to find the industrial 7189's (a little more rare, though.) They can handle higher plate voltage for a little more headroom. NOS RCA's are great, GE's are a sleeper - you can find good NOS 6BQ5's (EL84) for under 20 bucks ea. Great sounding too.

sabbath90
04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
how long do mullard el-84's last compared to current production tubes?

Blue Strat
04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by sabbath90
how long do mullard el-84's last compared to current production tubes?

The benchmark for NOS versus new production power tubes is about 5:1 lifespan. THis assumes that they're being run under normal operating conditions (which is rarely the case in amps like AC30s).

cocheese
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I got some Mullard EL84's from Mike a while back they sounded great. Just a couple weeks back I retubed my Gabriel Voxer with some Visseaux EL84's from Gregg at Hi-Test. They made an already great amp sound even better! I recommend both guys for nos tube needs.

davebc
04-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by cocheese
I got some Mullard EL84's from Mike a while back they sounded great. Just a couple weeks back I retubed my Gabriel Voxer with some Visseaux EL84's from Gregg at Hi-Test. They made an already great amp sound even better! I recommend both guys for nos tube needs.

Done biz with both Mike and Greg,both are super knowledgable and great guys to work with.
When your buying nos it's a great relief to trust that, it is what it is,no worries,no issues.
I've gotten nos tubes from both of these guys in original boxes that were so crisp they looked like they were in a time machine.
Nice!

BOUNTYHUNTER5
06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Vintage Mullard /pre late sixties/Blackburn fact.100.00 per.Link to fabulus tube guy {ZARRIST,Cal. }on the contact page of my band web site..bOUNTYHUNTERFIVE.COMTo brite..Weber speakers beam blocker re mixes the brittle highs with the mids..aLSO ON MY WEB SITE.15 bucks for a twelve,work great. ROCK ON

tybone
06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I like a little midrange focus in my EL84's. Becuase of that I go for the Sylvania black plates or the Amperex. Both are great tubes.

Glaze
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM

thanks
Adam Stark

I have not tried every NOS EL84 tube ever made, but the best sounding NOS EL84's I ever heard and really did a big comparison with were the Amperex EL84's. They were just more even and smoother sounding high gain wise. Harmonics were very even and smooth when the amp was pushed into high gain overdriven tones with these tubes more than everything else I tried. None of the current production EL84's I tried could match these old Amperex EL84's for the smooth high gain tones.

Mike

Timbre Wolf
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I have not tried every NOS EL84 tube ever made, but the best sounding NOS EL84's I ever heard and really did a big comparison with were the Amperex EL84's.
Though I've not tried every type EL84 made (never seen a Visseaux EL84), either, I've tried a number of them and have come to the same personal favorite: "Amperex" (or "Miniwatt") '50s D-getter. These are the Sittard-made rX2 or rX3 types, not later Dutch Philips kM types - this is an important distinction. The rX types have got the tonal balance, dynamic liveliness, and extreme clarity that I crave. Austrian-made rX3 (with "A" instead of "X" production code) from the same time period (late-'50s) also are very similar, but are very rare.

I'm not so fond of genuine Mullards, and can't figure what all the fuss is about. I much prefer a few others I highly recommend:
Tungsram EL84
RCA black-plate 6BQ5
Sylvania black-plate 6BQ5

- Thom

kidmandude
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Amperex EL84's Bugle Boys! Very expensive!!! But worth every dollar!
Big Bucks!

Wagster
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
The Best tubes for a Matchless are the old GE EL84's but good luck finding them.The amp was designed around those tubes.They sound absolutely amazing in the C30's.So much so that it's depressing when you have to go back to regular tubes.

BOUNTYHUNTER5
06-29-2008, 03:28 PM
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT 1958/59 MULLARD 12AX7 SQUARE GETTER TYPES..JUST SO I KNOW WERE YOUR COMING FROM,I ALREADY KNOW WHAT MY ANSWER WOULD BE AND i`VE TRIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING INCLUDING BUGLE BOYS WHICH I FIND TO HAVE A LITTLE TO MUCH SPARKLE ON THE TOP END.POWER TUBES ON THE OTHER HAND..I`M NO EXPERT ON THE BEST EL84`S.BUT WILLING TO OBSERVE RECOMENDATIONS FROM THOSE WHO ARE.I`M RUNNING FOUR BLACKBURN M.I.GREAT BRITAIN EARLY SIXTIES 84`S anyone ever try running 12bz7`s instead, its pretty interesting,cool vibes cheap,BUT NOT 3D AND SWEET LIKE NOS MULLS IF YOU CAN FIND.JUST PAID 200.00 FOR ONE...BUT TRUE NOS ..NOT JUST TESTED AS SUCH... CAME IN ORIGINAL BOX, CIGAR ROLL PLUS PIN PROTECTOR.AFTER BREAK IN{48 HRS.} SWEET AS HONEY AND SMOOTH AS WARM BUTTER.. BOUNTYHUNTERFIVE.COM:stir

Macaroni
06-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Speaking in reference to my own personal experiences with my Kingsley D32C, I like the Mullards I have the best. I've tried Amperex - very nice, Telefunken - very nice too as mentioned above (I've got a matched pair for sale in the emporium). I also have a pair of Siemens E84Ls which are the same as the E84Ls mentioned above and they are intense - they'll take more heat and they're really punchy and big - kind of like a 7581A is to a 6L6.

I got some great tubes and deals from...

http://vintagetubeservices.com/

mcv
06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
best el84 for clean headroom?

Aran
06-25-2009, 08:55 AM

thanks
Adam Stark

Tube Tramp has some Teslas I hear and people seem to like them for the price. BTW I know Mullards are great and all but I am sure people will be pleasantly surprised with NOS Teslas. And yes NON-JJ Teslas are different.

Timbre Wolf
06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
best el84 for clean headroom?
The answer to this depends mostly on how your amp is biased.

Given that, from my experience, RCA black-plate 6BQ5 were one of the latest-breakup EL84 type I've tried (surprisingly: usually black-plate versions of tubes break up earlier). Of course, the '50s D-getter Sittard EL84 are wonderful contenders, too, but both of these are rare enough to be nearly unobtainable.

I have recommended Tungsram before, and I will do so again, now. They're wonderful EL84s, and are not nearly as expensive as some may be.

BTW I know Mullards are great and all
I'm not so keen on '60s/'70s Mullards (same goes for '60s/'70s Amperex) - I like others better, for clarity/definition and musical dynamics. Genuine Tesla (not JJ) are also a good, somewhat later-breakup choice for tone and definition (little less recommended for dynamic feel).

- Thom

mcv
06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
The NOS Tesla (NOT JJ) EL84s are great. Higher output than a lot of the others, stay focused at higher playing volumes, etc.
does higher output means more headroom?

57paf
06-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Have any of you been able to evaluate the 70's RCA grayplate (orange block letters) EL-84s to some of the previously mentioned tubes?

Just1more
06-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Adam,
I have a quad of Polam? branded EL84's that you can have.
They actually sounded very close to a quad of Amperex (Mullard I think) that I had. I don't have any more EL 84 amps. Let me know, I can send them.
Dan

Dan S
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Tung Sol-vintage. I think most TS tubes sound good. Under rated. I have Amperex BB el 84's and they sound good.

daveg777
06-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I always dug the GE round Gray Plates....until I snagged me a matched pair of Amperex Bugle Boys! Sounds amazing in my Lightning Clone...

Dave

SLG
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
NOS Polam or Telam are my favorite EL84's. In some of my amps they actually sound better than NOS Mullards. The Mullards and Amperex Bugle Boy's are great sounding tubes, but I have a difficult time justifying the cost for use in my guitar amps. The Polam/Telam EL84's give you 95% of what you will find in a set of Mullards, but at about one-third the cost.

My second choice would be NOS Tesla EL84's.