PDA

View Full Version : Considering an In-Ear Monitor system...what do I need?

67blackcherry
10-23-2010, 01:33 PM
After putting together our own PA, we're now to the point of
A) another amp and floor monitors
B) In Ear monitors

My question is this...how would I go about building an in-ear setup, OTHER than buying the IE monitor...what piece of gear do I need to power all the (wired) in ear monitors?

Thanks...

loudboy
10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
What's the rest of the system?

If you're doing IEMs successfully, you'll need to mic everything and probably have an ambience mic, also. As well as separate mixes for most people in the band.

If you're already doing this, you can implement them quite easily, altho you're looking around $1K/member for a transmitter/receiver and decent earbuds.

scorpio
10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I've been wondering too. The stage volume is beginning to be detrimental to my hearing.

Blueswede
10-23-2010, 07:18 PM
My band is in the same position. We have a full PA, but would really like to go all in ears. I have a Shure PSM400 and am going to go with the Livewires ear buds. You can find the 400s for about $300-500, and the Livewires are $279. As long as your PA can handle all of the transmitters, that's about all you need. And yes, you have to mic everything.

67blackcherry
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Mackie 1604VLZ - of course everything would be going through the board...in the long run a pair (or two) of monitors might just be a better idea..

walterw
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
you have to have an aux on the board for each person, so that each guy can have their own IEM mix. sharing in-ear mixes is pretty much intolerable for just about any performer.

TimmyP
10-24-2010, 11:54 PM
you have to have an aux on the board for each person, so that each guy can have their own IEM mix. sharing in-ear mixes is pretty much intolerable for just about any performer.

Not at all. I've worked with a number of players who shared a mix. It's not ideal, but it can work.

67blackcherry
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I guess my biggest question is this...does the IEM system require an amp....or just the individual piece, or what?

speakerjones
10-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, there's a few different ways of going about it, and the right way is going to depend on few different factors. The easiest is probably to buy a wired in-ear system from Shure like this one: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/personal-monitor-systems/psm400/p4hw-psm400-wired-bodypack. This consists of a beltpack style headphone amp with built in limiter. You can buy them with buds included or buy buds separately.

Another way to go is with an integrated system like an Aviom http://www.aviom.com/AviomApplications/. These systems are very cool, but involve a pretty big learning curve, and are quite expensive.

You could also put together a bit of a piecemeal system using rackmount limiters and headphone amps with headphone extensions. This way is fairly ghetto though, and doesn't give you a remote volume control. Also, having outboard limiters could prove dangerous if you don't set them correctly.