PDA

View Full Version : Does impedance have any effect on sound?

roboboticus
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Yesterday I replaced the jacks and the wiring in my guitar cab. A 2x12, it has a pair of 8 ohm speakers wired in series, for a 16 ohm load. My head can switch between 4, 8, or 16 ohms, and I couldn't help wondering if the rig would sound any different if I wired the speakers in parallel and set the head to 4 ohms. Does anyone know?

Blue Strat
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
In cases like this it's always better to do the test for yourself.

GrungeMan
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
In cases like this it's always better to do the test for yourself.

Have to agree with Blue Strat.

Supposedly Parallel is smoother but I use smooth cones(crunchy)and play loud so I probably wouldn't hear the difference.
(ha what ya say???)

From a technical stand-point I prefer Parallel over Series because if a speaker blows there will still be a load on the output tranny.

Grungy :D

SatelliteAmps
10-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Sound different? Yes. Better or worse? That is up to you.

Rocknrollampsinc
10-25-2010, 05:01 PM
you would be hard pressed to hear a difference in sound of a single 4, or 8 or 16 ohm speaker. however, once you wire them in a group, that's when the minor differences show up.

scottl
10-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Everything matters. There is a very noticeable difference in wiring up series 16 versus parallel 4. Not only is the amp dampening different, one way is using the whole tranny and the other only part.

For what it is worth, there are plenty of people who claim to hear a difference on 1X12 situations whne comparing the taps. Ie, an 8 ohm Celestion versus a 16 ohm Celestion. The 16 ohm tap has all the windings so there would be a scientific explanation for why there is a difference.

As Mike said though, best to try it for yourself!!! Just don't listen to those that tell you there is no difference. You must try it and see.

rockon1
10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
You could find out for yourself nicely if you install a DPDT switch on the cab. You could switch between 4 and 16 ohms quickly without rewiring. Bob