PDA

View Full Version : Best Humbuckers For High Gain?

bigjim
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I have the classic JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck set up, but I want more. I have a mahogany bodied guitar, and a EL-34 high gain amp. If you've tried the JB/59 and moved on, I'd love to know what you like.

Cary Chilton
10-23-2010, 07:38 PM
if you actually care about preserving the tone mahogany or should I say salvaging the tone into a high gain ( high saturation/ compression amp) then never go higher than a 10K pu. THE JB is 16K... so everything will be further compressed and you'll sound like your playing a POD... no life, no dynamics.

I recommend lower output, A2 or A5 magnet pu's ~ WCR darkburst is a great choice, Seymour 59, Seymour Seth Lover, pearly gates, seymour antiquities, Dimarzio Fred, PAF, Pro PAF Jo, Paf anniversary, , Motorcity Black belt,

movingpictures
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
if you actually care about preserving the tone mahogany or should I say salvaging the tone into a high gain ( high saturation/ compression amp) then never go higher than a 10K pu. THE JB is 16K... so everything will be further compressed and you'll sound like your playing a POD... no life, no dynamics.

I recommend lower output, A2 or A5 magnet pu's ~ WCR darkburst is a great choice, Seymour 59, Seymour Seth Lover, pearly gates, seymour antiquities, Dimarzio Fred, PAF, Pro PAF Jo, Paf anniversary, , Motorcity Black belt,

+1^^^ Maybe a boost pedal before the amp?

dogbone94
01-08-2011, 07:28 PM
loved the jb for years... got into botique winders ... tried many many many pickups... i found for me that an A5 mag wound anywhere around 9.5-10k will scorch.... this will retain some paf chacteristics at mild gain and burn it up when you want... hot but, still clear and articutate with nice pick attack... wcr godwoods are koller... right now i am loving a set that sheptone custom wound at 10k for me..... wolfetone and guitarforce.....

pedrozepelim
01-08-2011, 07:57 PM
This ones sound pretty good to me:

FK2kuGO5wd0

AceBSpankin
01-08-2011, 08:32 PM
:SpankEMG-81/85, Hi gain pups!! NUFF SAID

jazzandmetal?
01-08-2011, 08:33 PM
EMG 85 is my favorite.

NewarkWilder
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
check out the bareknuckle pickups line. tons of output and amazing tone taboot. don't be scared of the soundclips--they have a bunch that can do some seriously brutal metal but also sing very sweetly when you want them to.

zygoat
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
The best humbucker I have used for heavy stuff is the Bareknuckle Nailbomb. It sounds incredible clean too.

SteveSatchrucci
01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I get a ridiculous amount of distortion out of my mahogany bodied Les Paul with my Dimarzio D-Sonic Air-Norton setup. Petrucci used to use them but now he has the Crunch Lab Liquifire setup which is basically the same thing. More metal oriented pickups, but i can squeeze some nice cleans out of the Air Norton, and classic rock tones with my D-Sonic with rolling down the Volume and Tone knob.

bettset
01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
www.smitspickups.com (http://www.smitspickups.com) :munch

jazzandmetal?
01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
The best humbucker I have used for heavy stuff is the Bareknuckle Nailbomb. It sounds incredible clean too.

I really want to try one of these in person.

NewarkWilder
01-09-2011, 12:13 AM
i just put a cold sweat neck and aftermath bridge in my electrajet... i call it the doomjet now :Devil

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/NewarkWilder/IMG_0433.jpg

i mean, that bridge humbucker is practically built for djent metal, something i'll never play, but it still sounds amazing for my uses. they both split better than any other humbuckers I've used before too.

greigoroth
01-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Lundgren M6.I've got one (and a couple of guitars with dimarzio tonezones, which are also nice high output PUs). M6 is the choice of Meshuggah.:Devil

Becksley
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
DiMarzio Evo\Evo2
EMG 81-85

NewarkWilder
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Lundgren M6.I've got one (and a couple of guitars with dimarzio tonezones, which are also nice high output PUs). M6 is the choice of Meshuggah.:Devil

yah well bulb is all about the bkp! :stir

:bow

ChorusCrackpot
01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I have the classic JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck set up, but I want more. I have a mahogany bodied guitar, and a EL-34 high gain amp. If you've tried the JB/59 and moved on, I'd love to know what you like.

I love my Suhr Doug Alrich passive humbuckers for high gain. Very clear and articulate. Very hot signal yet vintage vibe. Lots of body and warmth, chunk, roaring mids, crispness. In fact they are fantastic for everything. I coil split them for clean tones, sounds great.

89strat
01-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Couldn't have said it better. Lower gain pickups and sticking a boost pedal, like a tube screamer or maybe a fat-boost I think will get a better tone and sustain.

Cary Chilton
01-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Couldn't have said it better. Lower gain pickups and sticking a boost pedal, like a tube screamer or maybe a fat-boost I think will get a better tone and sustain.

I have learned a bit more since. I should first that if your amp is low to moderate in overdrive as in a vintage Marshall (67-78) with 2, 12ax7s acting as your pre amp gain then you can also go a little hotter in a pickup but I wouldn't go over 16K ( as in a duncan JB or Gibson Angus or Dimarzio Super Distortion). DC resistance is a funny thing, for instance the Dimarzio Fred is 10+K and the hotter successor pickup Mo Joe is 9.76K ...However in general 16K is medium hot in the rock domain in the classic rock (zeppelin etc 16K is damn hot)

If your amp has 3 12ax7's, 2 12ax7s for the pre amp and one for the phase inverter, then I pickups I recommend for classic rock or 80's metal and or grunge with a pedal:
WCR Darkburst or Icebucker, Duncan 59, Duncan 78, Motor City black belt A5, BareKnuckles VHII, Dimarzio Fred, PAF Pro
This pickups will also be suitable for a high gain modern amp, 4-7 12ax7's without a boost.

Hotter pickups for low to moderate gain amp:
WCR Icebucker, Motorcity Blissterbucker (by request) Second degree Blackbelt or Afwayu, Dimarzio Super Distortion (vintage if possible), Mighty Mite 1200 or 1300 (vintage), Gibson 500T,Angus Young, Duncan Custom, Custom 5, JB