PDA

View Full Version : boss ps-6 (pitch shifter/harmonizer) where in the chain

semi-hollowbody
11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I play through a drri or hrdx...clean...ALL my dirt comes from pedals...
Where would be the best place in my chain for the pitch shifter/harmonizer
guitar-wah-compressor-eq-phaser-dirt-eq-octave-tremolo-phaser-modulation-delay-reverb-amp(s)

Tenebrous
11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Very first, the only thing I'd put infront of a Harmonizer would be a Tuner. Unless you're going for some more aqcuired taste sounds, putting it as early as possible in the chain will mean you have better tracking.

BadMelonFarmer
11-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't know that exact pedal, but with my experience of harmonisers / pitch shifters they work well either after the compression or dirt. They sound different so it depends what you want.

But then also they can sound great in the FX loop of the amp... I was really surprised to find that this is where the PitchFactor worked best for me.

Cheers

BMF

BadMelonFarmer
11-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Very first, the only thing I'd put infront of a Harmonizer would be a Tuner. Unless you're going for some more aqcuired taste sounds, putting it as early as possible in the chain will mean you have better tracking.

The ones I have used have really benefitted from compression or dirt to help with tracking, I thought that the earlier the better would have been better.... But i did no find this in practice.

PitchFactor worked best for me in the FX loops

POGs worked best either after comp or after dirt, depending on what I wanted.... They both have pros and cons.

But to me, without some sort of compression before them, they sounded more glitchy.

Same with the line 6 m13.

That was my findings with those pedals, YMMV..

Tenebrous
11-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I use a POG and I apologise, it does benefit from being after compression for obvious reasons :)

However after that its personal taste and trial and error. Think of it logically, what'd you rather do... Distort a harmonized sound or harmonize a distorted sound? There is no right answer, just I've had better experience with harmonizers first.

All personal experiences :)

BadMelonFarmer
11-13-2010, 05:02 PM
I use a POG and I apologise, it does benefit from being after compression for obvious reasons :)

However after that its personal taste and trial and error. Think of it logically, what'd you rather do... Distort a harmonized sound or harmonize a distorted sound? There is no right answer, just I've had better experience with harmonizers first.

All personal experiences :)
Absolutely agree with you, 100%

It's all down to personal taste.

I though of it logically the same, but in practice with the pedals I tried .... And to my taste... I was very surprised what worked in different locations.

jb's 52
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm using mine after my wah and fuzz, but before my delay and tuner.

Muse FTW
11-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd put it as early in the chain as possible, for the nicest, cleanest tracking.

Moe45673
11-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Early in the chain for the best tracking. However, for sounds that output two or more signals (Ie, intelligent harmony with a wet/dry signal), they can be muddied up by the dirt. In this case, it may be better to put them after the dirt signal.

I mainly use my PS-5 for whammy type sounds (ie, no dry signal) so it's pre-dirt. I also use the detune setting but only on clean. If I was to only use the detune setting, I'd totally have it post-dirt.

semi-hollowbody
11-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I tried both...and for pitch shifting or harmonizing (didnt use the s-bend or detune as much) with my dirt pedals...single notes or chords (chords with pitch shift only, not the harmonizer) I liked it better pre-dirt...just sounded better...

Moe45673
11-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Well there you go. There are no rules, only what sounds best :)

The old HR-2 Harmonist actually had two inputs. The idea was to split your guitar signal and have one end go right into the direct input and then the other to go through your dirt pedals and stuff and then into the pedal. Best of both worlds