PDA

View Full Version : can you describe mini humbucker sound

mannish
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
The only one I know of is early Johnny Winter.....How does the tone of a mini differ from a regular humbucker - Is it anywhere close to a P90 tone

is thin - full - nasty - clean...?

jrw32
11-19-2010, 09:52 AM
To me, they sound almost as fat as a regular humbucker, but with a bit more clarity/rawness/punch...hard to describe, but IMO they are close to a P90 tone (just w/ less noise).

Jim Collins
11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
The minihums I use (Lollars, in a PRS McSoapie) sound like full-sized humbuckers, only a bit brighter, and just a hair thinner. When I say "just a hair", I mean that they are almost imperceptably thinner than vintage-style, full-sized humbuckers. They are also plenty loud.

I did have P90s in that guitar. They were wonderful pickups, but the minihums have more punch, and are a bit fatter than the P90s were.

jimmyj
11-19-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree, to me they sound more like a humbucker than a P-90 but a little clearer and brighter than a full-size. They don't have the mids like a P-90.

Here's a good example. Just a Firebird neck pickup through a Hot Rod Deluxe. You even get a little sample of just the guitar at about 1:20 before the song starts.

GChJI_T0g7c

DGDGBD
11-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Aren't firebird pickups different from the mini-hums that were used in other gibsons?

Will Chen
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Aren't firebird pickups different from the mini-hums that were used in other gibsons?

Yes, Firebird pups employ a magnetized bar (kinda like the rail strat sized humbuckers) style construction versus the pole piece style construction of traditional mini hums and PAFs.

jimmyj
11-19-2010, 11:50 AM

If he's mentioning early Johnny Winter then he's probably talking Firebird.

mudster
11-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Listen to the album "Genesis Live" from back in the day w/ Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel; it came out in the early 70's. Steve Hackett's tone was mini-humbucker all the way. My 76 Firebird has minis and my Grosh has fralin p-90's (my old F-Bird had p-90's too) and they don't sound much like. A p-90 can get wooly, while a mini still sounds essentially like a humbucker.

Jim Soloway
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, Firebird pups employ a magnetized bar (kinda like the rail strat sized humbuckers) style construction versus the pole piece style construction of traditional mini hums and PAFs.

And musically, they tend to be much brighter and with much more bite. For a P90 fan, they are a much better choice than a more traditional mini-hum whereas mini-hum is a better choice for a humbucker fan who wants a bit more clarity and tighter low end. (and I'm actually fan of both).

XKnight
11-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Definitely more clarity and bite than a regular humbucker, with no mud. I just got an LP with mini hums and am amazed at the tonal difference for the better compared to a regular LP.

jgyn
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
The differences between a full and mini sound is similar to their differing appearance- the full has 20% more output and girth, and the mini's 20% thinner with more highs.

captain_bob
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
It's pretty much been covered. I can confirm, they are close to a P90 but without the buzz. Closer in sound to a regular hum but with a little less output. I just had one installed in the neck position of my Tele and love it!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/bobcrisman/Telecaster/mini-hum.jpg

mark norwine
11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Mini-hum sounds like a....welll.....mini hum! Thinner & brighter.

Firebird sounds like a pissed off strat.

dougk
11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Polite p90's. ;)

Honestly good versions of both pickups (LP deluxe and bird mini's) will be sort of a p90 meets telecaster pickup. LP deluxe is a little more on the P90 side, Bird Mini is a little more on the tele side (still bit of bucker fatness).

I have a set of Klein's in both styles and honestly, they are much more similar than expected and I really have a tough time deciding which ones I like more. They are both really fantastic.

I've heard some god awful versions of both pickups too. IME, a crappy one, like crappy tele pickups will be insanely bright and shrill. To me a lot of the 70's LP Deluxe mini's are in that camp along with the current gibson Firebird pickups.

JPW
11-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I agree, to me they sound more like a humbucker than a P-90 but a little clearer and brighter than a full-size. They don't have the mids like a P-90.

Here's a good example. Just a Firebird neck pickup through a Hot Rod Deluxe. You even get a little sample of just the guitar at about 1:20 before the song starts.

GChJI_T0g7c
Those are Seymour Duncan SM-2 pickups.

sixesandsevens
11-20-2010, 04:59 AM
My experience is a bit skewed, since most of my experience is with the new Taylor mini humbuckers.

I think they have better string-to-string definition and a bit more "jangle" than the full-sized humbuckers that I've used. They still rock pretty hard though, and I dig 'em.

hammersig
11-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Mini-hum sounds like a....welll.....mini hum! Thinner & brighter.

Firebird sounds like a pissed off strat.
This is exactly how I would describe them. Very clear and articulate, but like a fat Strat or Tele