PDA

View Full Version : Is this an EV speaker?

kingsxman
12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I have what I beleive to be an EVM12L 8 ohm speaker. No markings that say EV on it at all..but it looks just like an EV speaker. It has a black cage and a large gray magnet. Markings on the magnet are as follows: 812 0650 8903. It sounds phenominal.

I jsut got 2 other speakers that I wanted to compare it to as my plan is g to put 2 EVM12L's in a 2x12 cab because i loved the sound of the one I had so much.

The new speakers just dont sound the same. 1 is an 80's EVM12L (that is labeled as such). It sounds thinner and when I use overdrive on my Quinn SDO it sounds buzzy. (NOW..truth be told I had to "jerry rig" the connections because my speaker has spade terminals and this has push ins. So I used alagator clips and very thin wires. That may have made a differnce in tone. not sure).

The other new speaker is a Eminence delta pro. A EVM12L copy. CLeans are ok..but just not as throaty sounding as my original EV speaker. Supposedly its broken in. Not sure.

Anway, I'll do more testing tomorrow and try the 80's EV with proper connectivity. But I want to make sure my original speaker is actually what I think it is: an EVM12L. It looks physically just like the 80's EV except has a black basket.

http://members.goldengate.net/~jgermann/unknown%20ev.jpg

dmagalhaes
12-03-2010, 09:13 PM
It could be an OEM which would not say EV on it.

ChorusCrackpot
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Might also be an EV12S.

kingsxman
12-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Might also be an EV12S.

HOw can I tell?

nospickups
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
The s in ev12s stands for short cone. If you look up the specs on the 12s from EV there are some measurements that you can use to determine what speaker it is. Just google evm12s spec and ther should be a pdf of the old spec sheet.

kingsxman
12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
The s in ev12s stands for short cone. If you look up the specs on the 12s from EV there are some measurements that you can use to determine what speaker it is. Just google evm12s spec and ther should be a pdf of the old spec sheet.

Thanks. The speaker in question is the one I had in my 1x12 cab at Dumblefest. It just sounds great.

kingsxman
12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Its not a EVM12S. I just searched those and its not that. This one also has spade terminals instead of the push terminals. It also says "8 year warranty" on it.

I'll have a pic shortly.

J.T. Guitar
12-05-2010, 01:17 PM
:worthless

kingsxman
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
PIcs added. Here's a pic of the unknown speaker and an original 80's EVM12L.

http://members.goldengate.net/~jgermann/unknown%20and%20evm12l.jpg

jsm355
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Check this website for speaker codes .

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

The Following from A previous Post on TGP .
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=180695&page=7

stratzrus
Lookin' for that groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewound
Here's the rundown FYI...if you care to know.

EVM12L Series II is 200 watt...Successor to the SRO12. The SRO gap is a bit narrower yielding higher flux strength and a bit more sensitivity,1-2dB.

EVM12L Pro-Line. Rated at 300 watts. Same speaker with an added "Pro-Tef" teflon coating on voice coil and outer edge of voice coil gap to insulate/lubricate against voicecoil-topplate arc-short contact under extreme excursion/ power conditions. Also had extra laquer dip at the cone apex for added strength to prevent buckling from high power transients.

EVM12S Series II. Shallower basket/cone profile than 12L for enhanced mids in the 2000-3000 hz range. Voice coil and spider same as 12L.

EVM12S Pro-Line. All EVM Pro-Line drivers had the same "Pro-Tef" treatment.

OEM versions are exactly the same speaker without either the finned heatsink or the factory label on the backplate. The EV part number is stamped "812-xxxx-xxx". The major difference between OEM and factory labeled speakers was the warranty. Five years factory, 1 year OEM warranty in most cases, unless otherwise specified.
EVM12L Classic. Reissue of EVM12L Series II, 200 watt.

EVM12L Black Label Society. Reissue of EVM12L Pro-Line.

Hope clears up any details.
Thanks, great post!

Do you have any additional info on the SRO/12L ?
________

edgewound
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
PIcs added. Here's a pic of the unknown speaker and an original 80's EVM12L.

http://members.goldengate.net/~jgermann/unknown%20and%20evm12l.jpg

It's an EVM12L.

The "812" is the OEM code for it.

kingsxman
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys. In looking at the link to determine speaker codes...they say that EV is 649...not 812. I dont doubt that 812 is right..but its confusing.
I cant figure out the date though. So am I looking at the middle 4 digit code for the date or the last 4 digit code? the middle one would be the 50th weekof 2006. The last 4 digits would be the 3rd week of 1989. If I understand it correctly.

I want to try to find another one just like this because it simply sounds better.

J.T. Guitar
12-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe it was an EV that was made for a proprietary enclosure? But it's an EV.

nospickups
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
That speaker was tapped in the back for the heat sink like an old 12s that I had was but I have also seen those on 12l's.

kingsxman
12-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe it was an EV that was made for a proprietary enclosure? But it's an EV.

Could be. I also think its odd that its got spade connectors and not push connectors.

jimpridx
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
That speaker was tapped in the back for the heat sink like an old 12s that I had was but I have also seen those on 12l's.

Yeah, I think the speaker probably looked something like this at one time:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/jpridx/ev1.jpg

Although, I have seen these without the heat sinks, too.

edgewound
12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys. In looking at the link to determine speaker codes...they say that EV is 649...not 812. I dont doubt that 812 is right..but its confusing.
I cant figure out the date though. So am I looking at the middle 4 digit code for the date or the last 4 digit code? the middle one would be the 50th weekof 2006. The last 4 digits would be the 3rd week of 1989. If I understand it correctly.

I want to try to find another one just like this because it simply sounds better.

The EIA source code for Electro-Voice would be 649.

The 812 is EV's internal part code designation for the EVM12L. The other series of digits are production part batch numbers/revisions and date codes.

The units for retail sale back in the 80s came with the finned heat sink and push terminals. Later units dropped the heat sink and put a plastic label on the back plate. OEM units have no label unless private branded like the Mesa Black Shadow and spade terminals unless push terminals were spec'd by the OEM customer.

kingsxman
12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
The EIA source code for Electro-Voice would be 649.

The 812 is EV's internal part code designation for the EVM12L. The other series of digits are production part batch numbers/revisions and date codes.

The units for retail sale back in the 80s came with the finned heat sink and push terminals. Later units dropped the heat sink and put a plastic label on the back plate. OEM units have no label unless private branded like the Mesa Black Shadow and spade terminals unless push terminals were spec'd by the OEM customer.

Thanks. So can we tell at all when this was manufactured?

edgewound
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks. So can we tell at all when this was manufactured?

Looks to be 3rd week of 1989. I doubt it's the 89th week of 2003:D

kingsxman
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Looks to be 3rd week of 1989. I doubt it's the 89th week of 2003:D

Thanks. I dont know when the other one was manufactured..but it "supposedly" is an 80's model. They just dont sound the same though. There "IS" a very small hole though in the outside of the cone right by the frame. I wonder if that is causing the problems.. I could try to get a pic.

What do you make of the "8 year warrenty" label thats on the OEM speaker?

edgewound
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks. I dont know when the other one was manufactured..but it "supposedly" is an 80's model. They just dont sound the same though. There "IS" a very small hole though in the outside of the cone right by the frame. I wonder if that is causing the problems.. I could try to get a pic.

What do you make of the "8 year warrenty" label thats on the OEM speaker?

8 year warranty is a little strange, but the OEM might have offered that. Also, a ProLine 12L will sound a bit different at lower volumes. The apex of the cone is stiffened for mechanical strength...typically for Pro Audio use.

Another possibility between the difference in sound is simply fatigue and needs a proper recone.

kingsxman
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
8 year warranty is a little strange, but the OEM might have offered that. Also, a ProLine 12L will sound a bit different at lower volumes. The apex of the cone is stiffened for mechanical strength...typically for Pro Audio use.

Another possibility between the difference in sound is simply fatigue and needs a proper recone.

Thanks. I may look at that. Not sure how much a recone is.. I suppose you need to "rebreak" in the speaker again dont you...?

edgewound
12-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks. I may look at that. Not sure how much a recone is.. I suppose you need to "rebreak" in the speaker again dont you...?

The treated cloth suspension speakers don't really need much breaking in compared to the integral paper suspension cones. The spiders do loosen up a bit but it's not nearly as drastic as the break-in for the all paper cones.

PM sent for the price.

kingsxman
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Update:
I picked up another EVM12L tonight. This one I was told was a 93. Black housing again. Series II classic. Anyway, it sounds phenominal. Just like the one I already had. So there is somethign odd with the other one I just bought. The dude I bought it from said that it came from an old Mesa amp that the dude never played. My question is: what does an EV speaker sound like that isnt broken in? Is it possible that this old speaker isnt broken in? Also, I cant find any code for dating on it other than 611 stamped on the side. Any ideas as to the date?