PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Princeton Reverb type amps out there?

TimH
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Obviously SF and BF models but are there boutique options worth looking at?

Gnarlly
12-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Don't discount the reissue. The PRRI can hang with the best vintage and boutique Princeton Reverbs.

lang.murphy
12-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Vox Cambridge Reverb tube; either 1965 or early 1966.

antbosca
12-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Headstrong and Vintage Sound both do excellent repros. I agree on the re-issue as well. They did a good job.

jmp
12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Don't discount the reissue. The PRRI can hang with the best vintage and boutique Princeton Reverbs.

:agree

I've owned an original 1964 Princeton Reverb, an Allen Sweet Spot 1x10" combo, a Headstrong Lil' King 1x12" combo, and the reissue. The reissue sounded as good as any of them and is very well made.

TimH
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! I'll keep myself open to a good deal on a prri :-)

If something hasn't been mentioned please feel free to jump in...and if you're selling pm me ;-)

karmadave
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.php

Trotter
12-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Ya, the PR reissue is excellent. Personally, I did not care for the stock speaker and put a 10" Celestion Gold in.

teleking36
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I thought out of all the non-Fender ones I've played, the Headstrong was the best. The lil king with a 12" was magical.

Bruce Bennett
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
My clones can pass for original... and for about an average of 250.00 less than any of the other boutiques.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/shrimpopen/showroom/?action=view&current=f78d5970.pbw

TimH
12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
someone could happily bump this for me :-)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=816849

papa taco
12-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I see you're from Toronto.

You guys chased that fat alcoholic bum Brian Burke out of town with pitchforks yet?

marsos52
12-09-2010, 04:35 PM
another vote for Vintage Sound Amps

TimH
12-09-2010, 05:14 PM

You guys chased that fat alcoholic bum Brian Burke out of town with pitchforks yet?

lolz. Not yet. He's got another season or two before that.

papa taco
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
lolz. Not yet. He's got another season or two before that.

Whoa. That's patience!
;)

TimH
12-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Whoa. That's patience!
;)

Rome wasn't built in a day and this team had to be completely gutted. There are a lot of positive pieces...the Kessle deal might be his undoing though...if boston gets another top 5 pick this year I predict both Wilson and Burke will be out the door.

papa taco
12-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Any decision as to what type of Princeton Reverb to get yet? I'm also considering one. I want something with gorgeous cleans for my home studio. I can get louder than bedroom volumes but nothing crazy as the neighbors' houses aren't too far away and my studio isn't particularly soundproof. I already have an AC15 clone and usually run that pretty cranked up through an ultimate attenuator. A part of me thinks just get a big clean amp and run it through the ultimate attenuator, but another part of me thinks just get a princeton reverb. My concern is it will be thin sounding, when compared to say an attenuated Super Reverb or Vibrolux. But listening to Jim Campilongo makes me think that the prri would be awesome sauce with my esquire. And I want 10" speakers.

Wombat
12-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Another vote for the Allen Sweet Spot here. I owned a PRRI and returned it within a week (was getting some rattling sound that I thought might have been the baffle, but I couldn't get it to go away.) I moved on to the Headstrong Lil King with the 12 which was really cool, and probably closer to the true Princeton sound. I wanted it to have the option to go brighter than it could, so I got a used Sweet Spot for $900 which was about the same as a new PRRI and several hundred less than the used Headstrong I owned. If I want it to sound like the Lil King, I just shut the bright switch off and keep the mid control low. I'm extremely happy with it and find it more versatile than the others I tried (IMO.) I recommend the Allen, especially if you can find a used one

Purplexi
12-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Having owned a 60's Blackface, 1x12 PR and a 70's silver, 1x10 PR; I can tell you the best Princeton Reverb I've ever played is the Fender/Rivera PRII!! They're starting to become scarce but worth a look.

micjonga
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
+1 on the Allen Sweet Spot!! Wonderful sounding PR clone with some tweaks! But, I've heard a 60's PR live recently and it sounded AMAZING! Could have been the player and the fact that it was pushed through a 2x12 with G12M and Blue!

Greaser
12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Having owned a 60's Blackface, 1x12 PR and a 70's silver, 1x10 PR; I can tell you the best Princeton Reverb I've ever played is the Fender/Rivera PRII!! They're starting to become scarce but worth a look.

Anyone know if there is a current, or discontinued, Rivera brand equivalent to these?

dividedsky
12-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I've had the PRRI, Headstrong Lil King, and Chicken Pickin clone. The CP was my favorite and the only one I kept, although I'm going for more of a ROCK amp and it's now for sale in the emporium.

merkaba22
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
The Princeton Reverb II has amazing blackface clean and with the right speaker a very nice OD -- hardwired, Accutronics reverb

jmp
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
RE: Allen Sweet Spot vs. PRRI

I found the Sweet Spot to be a much tighter amp overall, especially when cranked into overdrive. It had the feel of a larger Fender amp, but with the advantage of the scaled down Princeton Reverb size. This is probably because the various tweaks essentially make the amp more like the bigger amps in terms of circuit design.

The PRRI was closer to an original BFPR in that it had this loose, kind of squishy feel, even at lower volumes. This looseness, however, is to me part of the Princeton magic and why those amps sound so sweet and have a nice springy feel to them.

The Jensen C10R in my PRRI was a little bright and had I kept the amp I would have considered a replacement, probably a Weber C10NQ equivalent (10F150T, I think it's called).

Chas
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I have the Re-Issue and recently played a real deal Princeton and they sound the same to me. I think Fender did a great job with that one. If you record just look out for some noise when you turn up the reverb on the PRRI.

twangbanger
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Another big fan of the Allen Sweet Spot. don't think you can wrong w/ that amp. I use it for roots country and rockabilly but it can do more.

DJ_61
12-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Vintage Sound VS112P is the best fender style amp I have ever played.

D.

teleman1
12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Keep in mind some folks opinions of the prri is right out of the box. Stock tubes & an unbroken in speaker. The prri speaker and many others take on a different character,( much for the better). when broken in.

Tone-Control
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Headstrong Lil King with a 12. Mine is excellent.

KmCyPreSs
12-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Great thread I'm also very interested in everyone's opinion of the lil' king vs just gettign an actual vintage princeton reverb. just had to respond to this...

is there something about burke and the leafs i don't know about? i thought he did great things with both the ducks and the canucks. was sad to see him leave-things he's making pretty decent moves in toronto. if there is any reputation he's getting that i know of, it's just that he moves around too much...

David Vee
12-15-2010, 02:40 AM

This.

The PRRI is one of the best amps Fender has done in decades, period. :bow

As always, your mileage may vary.

pageburst
12-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Carr Mercury. Sounds very close to my 69 PR but with a bit more 3d magic and gorgeus swirly mids.

My 69' PR has classic BF cleans at low volumes and while I still think the merc with a kt66 and in the 8 watt setting is the best low volume clean amp I've heard one of the charms of a vintage PR is its softer vintage response that just feels great and is so playble.

David Vee
12-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Carr Mercury. Sounds very close to my 69 PR but with a bit more 3d tone and gorgeus swirly mids.

The PR has classic BF cleans at low volumes and while I still think the merc with a kt66 and in the 8 watt setting is the best low volume clean amp I've hears one of the charms of a vintage PR is its softer vintage response that just feels great and is so playble.

I agree the Carr Mercury is an amazing amp... but at its price point, you could create an amazing stereo rig running two PRRIs for a spatial effect unmatched by any single speaker combo... and have change left over.

What do I know? I'm a gear slut who owns 32 amps... chose a Swart AST MkII over a Carr Mercury after a side-by side shootout (and still plans on owning a Mercury at some point down the road)... and enjoys my PRRI. Life is too short not to enjoy the amazing amps out there. These are good times to be a guitar player.

My advice to the OP is to try before you buy if at all possible... let your ears decide.

It's all subjective, it's all good... and your mileage may vary. :beer

mattymel
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

i must disagree. the jensen speaker in the reissues is lacking to say the least. cant turn it up above 3 without the bass turned completely down. and the overdriven sound is harsh.

i own a lil king and i would still like to get my hands on a real deal BF. pretty much the best clean sound i have ever heard. warmth that is hard to beat in any other amp i have ever played.

the lil king is a very versatile amp. i tried out three different webers before settling on the 10a125. gets that classic fender crispness. with a 50 watt speaker and a overdrive pedal you could easily play a rock gig with that amp. i wouldnt dream of trying the RI on a loud gig unless the name of the band was fartcity.

papa taco
12-16-2010, 04:41 PM
is there something about burke and the leafs i don't know about? i thought he did great things with both the ducks and the canucks. was sad to see him leave-things he's making pretty decent moves in toronto. if there is any reputation he's getting that i know of, it's just that he moves around too much...

Well, this is just my opinion but it seems to me that when burke went to toronto the plan was they were going to be crap for a couple of years and then take advantage of getting some good draft picks (as a result of finishing near the bottom). But he ended up aborting that plan and trading off a couple years worth of first (and maybe second?) round picks to pick up a couple of players who just haven't panned out.

I liked him when he was in Vancouver (my team) but it seems we have improved radically under new leadership since he was ejected from the team. As for his good work in California, I believe that was good timing on his part. Somebody else had built the team and he got there in time to reap the benefits.

He did bring the Sedin twins to Vancouver though (and he also tried to steal them for Toronto) so he's done good work too.
;)

frankie5fingers
12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Are you looking for a spot-on replica, or a PR based amp? Something with a classic feel, but updated features?

TimH
12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I bought a Vintage Sound Princeton-esque amp. Not a spot on clone though since it's got a 12" speaker and a mid control hidden around the back...

FFTT
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
The Sweet Spot is a great sounding amp and versatile
since you can go combo or head and cab.

I would also take a good look at the Gries 20 Reverb