PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hess correspondence lessons

staypuff54
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone on here do any correspondence lessons with Tom Hess? I'm considering trying them out, but I'd like to hear about some others' experiences first.

Ang3lus
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
lol, I just recommended him on another post :)

i'll quote the whole thing for you

www.tomhess.net

very expensive, but worth every cent.

I've worked with him for a while (corrospondence lessons) and got some mindblowing tips about practicing/playing/solo ideas/improvisation/ HOW to improvise

basically he gives you a ton of stuff to work on to improve hand dexterity, hand sync etc and then gives you the mindset of a musician, which is the most important thing.

here is a post I made a while ago about him.

if you decide to sign up, please write Ariel Meyer as a refferal

Quote:
I suggest you read his articles here:

http://tomhess.net/Articles.aspx

for those who aren't going to take his lessons (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND) you should read this too, awesome advice on just about anything.
I've made huge leaps in my playing since I started working with him, and trust me, i'm not a beginner, i've been thru many hacks sturggling with music just as me, regarding music theory as "obsolete" or knowing the fretboard as "there are patterns for that" and all that "good advice"

let me be honest with you, I haven't started since very long, but the leap i've made is so big that I just can't fathom it, I actually FEEL like I'm playing guitar and not just going over scales and stuff, I feel in control, and there's a difference.

the best teacher I've had before Tom was a guy I went to see for more than 5 years and he taught me how to play fast, picking technique and all that jazz.

While that teacher was really good (and he still is a good friend) he ran out of things to teach me, turns out though his picking technique isn't 100% but he still can reach monstrous playing (guess that goes for Marty too)

that is just an example of what Tom fixes, he teaches you how to think differently approaching the guitar (as a musician and not as a guitarist), and I think that's the most important thing of all.

I know the lessons aren't cheap (trust me, I live in Israel and it's probably 3x expensive for me) but are well worth the money.

this is his website:
www.tomhess.net

and these are the lessons i'm taking:
http://www.tomhess.net/CorrespondenceGuitarLessons.aspx

If you are skeptic and think i'm some kind of troll (look when I registered)
just read his articles and see for yourself.

only one request please guys, if you do sign up, please write Ariel Meyer in the refferal part.

You won't regret it.

staypuff54
12-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice. How many lessons a month are you doing with him? What is it specifically that you are finding helpful compared to other teachers you've had?

Ang3lus
12-13-2010, 05:00 AM
I've stopped atm as they are too expensive for me right now (wedding/baby), and the currency exchange is a killer for me, I used to take 2 lessons a month, which is more than enough i reckon, because the amount of material he gives you is ENORMOUS.

What i've found most helpful is the fact that he covers everything a teacher needs to cover IMHO

1. he gives you a ton of excercises
2. He gives you articles about "musical growth"
3. He teaches you how to think when you are improvising/how to create a good solo/riff/song/whatever.
4. He gives you tips on how to organize your training as to how to get the best results possible.
5. He basically teaches you how to study, both the instrument and the theory, he made me look up so many basic concepts I was missing.

those are things that I found most teachers lack and that he completes, Best teacher i've ever had overall.

PosterBoy
12-13-2010, 05:10 AM
I found quickly that Tom Hess's course wasn't for me.

I think the Truefire site and possibly others like it (guitar master class) suit my way of learning, if I am honest about my weaknesses and put the time in and nailing the real basics down rather than skip them because I think I know it and can do it already.

staypuff54
12-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for that ang3. Posterboy, can you elaborate on why Hess's course wasn't for you please?

dkaplowitz
12-13-2010, 07:48 AM
How much does he charge? I don't see a price on his site.

P.S. Please note that I DO NOT teach: Country, jazz/fusion, classical/acoustic guitar, finger picking, or folk styles.If he can make good money teaching rock and shred, more power to him. I am of the opinion you barely even need a teacher to learn those styles, but then again, I've had some training that I tend to take for granted, so YMMV. But I do believe strongly you don't have to pay any more than the going rate for a good teacher to learn those styles and that you shouldn't.

I checked out his entry test for students. Little things about it bothered me, like some awkward wording and stuff. "Key of phrygian"?

Ang3lus
12-13-2010, 08:23 AM
56$ I think for corrospondence lessons.

while truefire is a great device (I bought like 5-6 dvds from them), they are like sitting through A masterclass, they teach you a specific something, Tom Hess teaches you how to learn music, and teaches you tons of theory too :)

dkaplowitz
12-13-2010, 08:35 AM
56$ I think for corrospondence lessons.

while truefire is a great device (I bought like 5-6 dvds from them), they are like sitting through A masterclass, they teach you a specific something, Tom Hess teaches you how to learn music, and teaches you tons of theory too :)
All teachers should teach you tons of theory and techniques for learning music and for practicing, etc.

$56. per lesson? That doesn't sound too bad. Is there personal interaction, or does he just point you to links to his material?

The going rate around here (Philly area) is ~$50/hr. I'm lucky enough to know and study with two really amazing teachers in the area, each with his own personal style of teaching. Those guys will actually teach the styles Tom Hess doesn't teach, but those are the styles that interest me (and studying them helps me with my rock/shred playing).

Ang3lus
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
he sends you articles/videos/clinics he did/waves (about 1 hr-2hrs long sometimes x3 in one lesson)/examples etc

it's all directed at you, it seems random for the first two lessons, but then you really see it's different for each one, you need to send him a sound file/video every two months to check up on progress.

He has a lesson about voice leading which is actually pure gold, really mindblowing.

dorfmeister
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
A very long thread with much discussion of Tom Hess and correspondence lessons in general.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=233789&highlight=correspondence

dkaplowitz
12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I guess it bugged me too that his test, that asks you to id various arp patterns, only had tab. I understand from a money-making perspective that tab is, unfortunately, a must. But standard notation should be included alongside of the tab. So it's unlikely he's gonna help you much if you consider sight reading an important component of musical literacy which I do (and I am not alone). If you're willing to pay a premium for the "best" teacher you can find, shouldn't you be willing also to be a literate musician? It can only help you toward your goal of being a great player.

Ang3lus
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
all his excercises include standard notation, maybe the test doesn't, but all excercises he ever gave me included all regions of standard notation, the much lower part and the highest of highest parts (2-4 staff lines)

myaudiodna
12-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I took correspondence lessons with Tom for about 6 months. I got a lot of good information, but not a lot of instruction. I found myself not really getting enough feedback from him like you do from an actual teacher, so I went back to traditional lessons. If you want to take lessons online I would recommend maybe taking lessons from someone who does skype lessons, that way you still have the 1 on 1 interaction, but also have the online convenience. Chris Buono is an awesome teacher and he does skype lessons. I believe he may be a member here too.

Tomo
12-15-2010, 07:27 AM
I guess it bugged me too that his test, that asks you to id various arp patterns, only had tab. I understand from a money-making perspective that tab is, unfortunately, a must. But standard notation should be included alongside of the tab. So it's unlikely he's gonna help you much if you consider sight reading an important component of musical literacy which I do (and I am not alone). If you're willing to pay a premium for the "best" teacher you can find, shouldn't you be willing also to be a literate musician? It can only help you toward your goal of being a great player.

I hear you loud. you should do what you think it's good for everyone. Teaching guitar, basically anyone can be a teacher today! and no rules about it so don't waste your energy toward anyone.

Tomo