PDA

View Full Version : schaller golden 50's...original vs current?

connor117
12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
hey folks, so ive been doing some research but not finding exact facts. if im grossly overlooking some website, i apologize in advance, but any info would be appreciated....

is there any difference between the original schallers (golden 50's) found in a lot of 80s kramers VS whats found in heritage guitars these days?

i know they have become extremely hard to find in the US.

what kind of magnets are in them?

connor117
01-08-2011, 02:02 AM
anyone?

connor117
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
cricket chirp

tinkercity
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I didn't realize that Schaller was making those anymore. I know that Trey Anastasio used to have them and later switched to Duncan 59' hot rodded by his luthier Paul Languedoc. When I had looked for them they were not available - 8 years ago.

connor117
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
yeah, but im not sure if current production (what heritage uses) is the same specs as what kramer and languedoc were using in late 80's...

or what might have changed....?

BigKD
07-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Bump.

Any info on these pickups?

Curious if the new production golden 50s are as good as the old ones are reported to be.

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I have a pair I got used about 3 years ago in my Artinger Hollowbody. I have no idea how old they actually are, but they are great pickups, but I can tell you that Seymour Duncan 59's sound very very similar (they are copies of the Schaller Golder 50's). I had SD 59's in the guitar originally, but they only had 2 conductor wires and I needed four for coil-tapping.

My biggest complaint is that the bridge pups sounds thinner, brighter and quieter than the neck pickup. I think Schaller (and SD) could have done a better job balancing the pickups, which is one of the alleged mods Languedoc does to these pickups.This is why a lot of people use the SD 59 in the neck and the JB in the bridge. I was also thinking about trying Lollar Low-Wind Imperials, but I have been tweaking the pickup and screw heights and I am not sure $300 in pickups will be worth it once I get the bridge dialed in the way I want it (if I can get it there).

BigKD
07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I have a pair I got used about 3 years ago in my Artinger Hollowbody. I have no idea how old they actually are, but they are great pickups, but I can tell you that Seymour Duncan 59's sound very very similar (they are copies of the Schaller Golder 50's). I had SD 59's in the guitar originally, but they only had 2 conductor wires and I needed four for coil-tapping.

My biggest complaint is that the bridge pups sounds thinner, brighter and quieter than the neck pickup. I think Schaller (and SD) could have done a better job balancing the pickups, which is one of the alleged mods Languedoc does to these pickups.This is why a lot of people use the SD 59 in the neck and the JB in the bridge. I was also thinking about trying Lollar Low-Wind Imperials, but I have been tweaking the pickup and screw heights and I am not sure $300 in pickups will be worth it once I get the bridge dialed in the way I want it (if I can get it there).

Hey man. I just checked out your clip on that massive Anastasio thread. Nice work! You're getting pretty damn close to his early to mid 90's tone!

I think Trey's tone with the '59s and his new doc is thin and brittle. But his early and mid 90s tone was the tits. I mean damn it was so buttery, thick, sweet and huge sounding!

I've got a Mesa mark III head with two AM silver mod ts-9s and an AM comprosser. I can get in the same ballpark but not as close as you.

I'm having a custom hollow guitar built and am trying to decide on pickups. It's come down to Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF pickups [cheap, good reviews, look cool, easy to find] and Schaller golden 50's [also somewhat cheap, difficult to find US dealers]. I wanna get it right the first time because changing pickups in a hollowbody is a MASSIVE PITA.

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Hey man. I just checked out your clip on that massive Anastasio thread. Nice work! You're getting pretty damn close to his early to mid 90's tone!

I think Trey's tone with the '59s and his new doc is thin and brittle. But his early and mid 90s tone was the tits. I mean damn it was so buttery, thick, sweet and huge sounding!

I've got a Mesa mark III head with two AM silver mod ts-9s and an AM comprosser. I can get in the same ballpark but not as close as you.

I'm having a custom hollow guitar built and am trying to decide on pickups. It's come down to Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF pickups [cheap, good reviews, look cool, easy to find] and Schaller golden 50's [also somewhat cheap, difficult to find US dealers]. I wanna get it right the first time because changing pickups in a hollowbody is a MASSIVE PITA.

Yea, I hear that! I am scared to change the wiring because I will be embarrassed if I mess it up, plus techs can easily charge $150 for all the time and tedious work. Don't worry about Schaller's IMO - Seymour Duncan 59's sound exactly the same! I had those in my guitar originally, but they only had two conductor wires and I wanted to be able to coil tap, so I switch to the Golden 50's I had in a guitar body I built (that has become decoration).

Over on the Strange Design forum, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and Lollar Imperials are popular. If I try Lollars, I might go with the Low-Wind imperials as the Artinger has plenty of low-end, I don't need darker, hotter pups than a typical PAF. I have been playing with the pickup height and screw height a lot, but I think I am realizing why Languedoc re-winds the bridge pup to balance it more with the neck. I might just switch the bridge to a Seymour Duncan SH4 JB.

I love the mid 90's tone! I appreciate the comparison! I always wonder exactly when he switched to AM Silvers. I was using two of those until recently, but switch to vintage ones; slightly less bass (which I like, the Artinger is probably warmer than a Doc since it is 25" fret scale and a larger body).

As for his recent tone, I have listened to a few of the shows and some of the levels are really off - their opening night was very difficult to hear anything but Mike, lol - he might as well have played Boogie On by himself.

Who is building your guitar? There are a lot of great options, I wish I could try them all, but I got my guitar at 1/3 of the price new from a TGPer and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.

BigKD
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Yea, I hear that! I am scared to change the wiring because I will be embarrassed if I mess it up, plus techs can easily charge $150 for all the time and tedious work. Don't worry about Schaller's IMO - Seymour Duncan 59's sound exactly the same! I had those in my guitar originally, but they only had two conductor wires and I wanted to be able to coil tap, so I switch to the Golden 50's I had in a guitar body I built (that has become decoration).

Over on the Strange Design forum, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and Lollar Imperials are popular. If I try Lollars, I might go with the Low-Wind imperials as the Artinger has plenty of low-end, I don't need darker, hotter pups than a typical PAF. I have been playing with the pickup height and screw height a lot, but I think I am realizing why Languedoc re-winds the bridge pup to balance it more with the neck. I might just switch the bridge to a Seymour Duncan SH4 JB.

I love the mid 90's tone! I appreciate the comparison! I always wonder exactly when he switched to AM Silvers. I was using two of those until recently, but switch to vintage ones; slightly less bass (which I like, the Artinger is probably warmer than a Doc since it is 25" fret scale and a larger body).

As for his recent tone, I have listened to a few of the shows and some of the levels are really off - their opening night was very difficult to hear anything but Mike, lol - he might as well have played Boogie On by himself.

Who is building your guitar? There are a lot of great options, I wish I could try them all, but I got my guitar at 1/3 of the price new from a TGPer and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.

I would pay the 150 if I knew they would do a clean job. I payed a shop 60 to do a 335 copy and they did a really sloppy job and scratched up the finish with the metal parts.:FM

Any other changes re TS-9s when switching from AM silver to vintage?

At this point I think I am going to go with the Dimarzio 36th PAFs if you think that SD 59s and Schaller Golden 50s are virtually identical. DiMarzio makes a point to make the bridge version significantly hotter so that the output of bridge and neck are balanced.

Right now I am leaning towards a custom build by a guy named Ben Bruton. Super chill guy who seems to be willing to put up with my nit picky gear OCD. Reasonable pricing as well. I've also been in contact with Artinger, but it's just too much cash for a new custom build. You are lucky to have gotten such a good deal on a used Artinger. I'll probably go that route as well down the road wen the right one pops up for sale.

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I would pay the 150 if I knew they would do a clean job. I payed a shop 60 to do a 335 copy and they did a really sloppy job and scratched up the finish with the metal parts.:FM

Any other changes re TS-9s when switching from AM silver to vintage?

At this point I think I am going to go with the Dimarzio 36th PAFs if you think that SD 59s and Schaller Golden 50s are virtually identical. DiMarzio makes a point to make the bridge version significantly hotter so that the output of bridge and neck are balanced.

Right now I am leaning towards a custom build by a guy named Ben Bruton. Super chill guy who seems to be willing to put up with my nit picky gear OCD. Reasonable pricing as well. I've also been in contact with Artinger, but it's just too much cash for a new custom build. You are lucky to have gotten such a good deal on a used Artinger. I'll probably go that route as well down the road wen the right one pops up for sale.

Yea, I think the work I had done before was over $200, but he also did the coil-tap, series switch and treble bleed, I am assuming changing pup would be a little less. I would be furious of someone scratched my guitar while getting work done on it.

I was definitely lucky on the price and someone I chat with occasionally has a Languedoc and an Artinger and said they are equal in quality. I have heard great things about Bruton as well and I considered that as an option. I also looked at those PRS hollowbodies, but the used ones I came across still more than I paid for the Artinger. Matt is a great guy - we have been emailing on and off since I got the guitar, but his gear is pricey.

I wrote up a review comparing a number of TS9s, but I would say the vintage ones tend to have a more natural sounding overdrive. To a TS freak like myself, the difference between the RI, Silver, Vintage, etc, is huge, but to most people, they would probably say they sound very similar. I really like the Silvers though and there is a lot of difference from one vintage TS to another; I like my 83 a bit more, it has a tighter eq and smoother overdrive, while the 82 is a little looser and grittier, so I use the 82 as the higher gain one (they sound more similar once the drive is that high).

I stumbled across the 83 on craigslist 3 blocks from me for $175 and loved it. Once I got that, I was bugged by the eq difference between having a vintage and a silver on my board, so I got another vintage which cost me $250. I would say the Silver is great, can be had used for around $150, so I thought the first vintage was worth the price difference, I just dug myself into a hole of feeling like I need a second vintage one.

That being said, I wonder if Trey's AM Silvers are Vintage TS9's since he apparently has a box full of them.

BigKD
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Yea, I think the work I had done before was over $200, but he also did the coil-tap, series switch and treble bleed, I am assuming changing pup would be a little less. I would be furious of someone scratched my guitar while getting work done on it.

I was definitely lucky on the price and someone I chat with occasionally has a Languedoc and an Artinger and said they are equal in quality. I have heard great things about Bruton as well and I considered that as an option. I also looked at those PRS hollowbodies, but the used ones I came across still more than I paid for the Artinger. Matt is a great guy - we have been emailing on and off since I got the guitar, but his gear is pricey.

I wrote up a review comparing a number of TS9s, but I would say the vintage ones tend to have a more natural sounding overdrive. To a TS freak like myself, the difference between the RI, Silver, Vintage, etc, is huge, but to most people, they would probably say they sound very similar. I really like the Silvers though and there is a lot of difference from one vintage TS to another; I like my 83 a bit more, it has a tighter eq and smoother overdrive, while the 82 is a little looser and grittier, so I use the 82 as the higher gain one (they sound more similar once the drive is that high).

I stumbled across the 83 on craigslist 3 blocks from me for $175 and loved it. Once I got that, I was bugged by the eq difference between having a vintage and a silver on my board, so I got another vintage which cost me $250. I would say the Silver is great, can be had used for around $150, so I thought the first vintage was worth the price difference, I just dug myself into a hole of feeling like I need a second vintage one.

That being said, I wonder if Trey's AM Silvers are Vintage TS9's since he apparently has a box full of them.

I wonder if the 30th anniversary Tube screamers are any good? They do look cool!

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I wonder if the 30th anniversary Tube screamers are any good? They do look cool!

Read a few positive posts on here, hasn't given me GAS though ;)

BigKD
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Read a few positive posts on here, hasn't given me GAS though ;)

It appears to be TGP approved based on what I read. I might pick up one [or two] to try out! Dammit I hate GAS!

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
It appears to be TGP approved based on what I read. I might pick up one [or two] to try out! Dammit I hate GAS!

Yea, its got the 4558 chip, so I suspect it is pretty good.

I also have an SRB808 2in1, which is a pretty cool pedal, TS808>TS9 but I am not using it since I got the Vintage ones.

gatordoc
07-01-2012, 10:34 PM
My biggest complaint is that the bridge pups sounds thinner, brighter and quieter than the neck pickup. I think Schaller (and SD) could have done a better job balancing the pickups,.........

The SD '59s sound really nice but I agree that the bridge is thinner, brighter, and quieter. I had custom ordered a Heritage H-157CM back in 2006 and decided to go with a pair of SD '59s. The bridge pickup was so much quieter than the neck that I initially thought Heritage must have mixed up the neck and bridge pickups!

Heady Jam Fan
07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
The SD '59s sound really nice but I agree that the bridge is thinner, brighter, and quieter. I had custom ordered a Heritage H-157CM back in 2006 and decided to go with a pair of SD '59s. The bridge pickup was so much quieter than the neck that I initially thought Heritage must have mixed up the neck and bridge pickups!

Are you still using those pups or did you switch to something else?

gatordoc
07-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Are you still using those pups or did you switch to something else?

I'm still using them but I always keep the tone down and the volume up on the bridge pickup. I also use my OD pedals to compensate for the volume loss and the higher treble. As I also play a G&L S-500 with a single coil in the bridge that has an output in-between a normal single coil and a humbucker, it works for both guitars.