PDA

View Full Version : Best Compression Sustainer on the market

JohnFrusciante
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
What is the.......

terrapin
12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
This thread will get ALOT of posts..........But for me it is the JangleBox2. Not only does it have nice warm compression and great versatility, but I use the Bright mode alot with my Tele when doing the Beatles, Petty, Byrds type Jangle................

KevinFinn
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
The parameters of this question are too wide open for a "true" answer.

There are many factors. What do you WANT from such a thing? What do you NOT WANT?

sub rosa
12-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Is this a trick question? There is only the Boss Compression Sustainer. Are you asking about the different versions of that?

terrapin
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Is this a trick question? There is only the Boss Compression Sustainer. Are you asking about the different versions of that?

Actually not. The JangleBox is called a compression/sustainer.

theanalogdream
12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
My personal fav is the BJFe PGC

Diamond comp,
analogman bi-comp,

were nice too!

100JH
12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a 74 Dyna Comp RI with AM mods, a Boss CS-2, a Demeter Compulator and just ordered the Effectrode PC-2A, which I have yet to receive. They all have various levels of compression and sustain. A great site that I just found (Bongomania is on this board) is: http://www.ovnilab.com/

The CS-2 is staying on my board as the second compressor and is quite tweakable. I use it for light compression (post fuzz, OD, boosts) and is musical to my ears. The Demeter is very smooth and I would rate it second for sustain out of the three. The Dyna seems to have a more classical early comp sound, can have a heavy squash but also has a fair amount of sustain. I am putting the Effectrode up again the Demeter and I suspect the Demeter will be sold. I already have a few Effectrodes (Tube Vibe and Delta Trem) so I have high expectations for the PC-2A.

I usually get my sustain from my amp/od's/boosts and use the compressors primarily to slightly shape the sound a bit so maybe I am not the best person to answer this question. I know some tend to use them in a different manner then most. Again check out Bongomania's site which is a great compressor resource!

Stratobuc
12-21-2010, 08:07 PM
For me - its the Keeley.

LouRossi
12-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Boss CS-2 & TC Sustain are my favorites

dlab
12-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm getting a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone but I've heard from some folks who think it's trash. Compressors are a very subjective-opinion thing...

sheatone
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Analog Mini Bi-Comp and Keeley are my favorites!

heavysoul
12-22-2010, 06:34 AM
No real "BEST" but i like a monte allums modded boss cs-3!

sabby
12-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I think I'm the only here singing its virtues, but I love love love the PedalworX Squeeze Factor, an Orange Squeezer with a clean blend.

djkal
12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
boss cs-3 has my vote

drjordan
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Analogman Mini Bi-comp is my favorite.

JohnFrusciante
12-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Well I'm talking about compressing, sustaining, boost in output. I know John Frusciante and Mayer don't use compression but they really get that sound. What should you look into when searching for a compressor?

bobbymack
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Tone Press

stratplayer80
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Effectrode PC-2A

DraggAmps
03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Diamond CRP-1
OKKO Coca Comp
MP FGC
Himmelstrutz Miss Nutcracker
Wampler Ego
Effectrode

I like a low fixed ratio Opto comp, so something like the OKKO or Diamond are good for me. Low noise, good sustain and jangle but the trade off is you can't get that effect-like total squash.

Godspeed64
03-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Boss CS-2 made me need compressors, from a guy who hated compressors.

Ryan07
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know.. can the Pine Green Compressor go from transparent to heavy effect-like squashing?

66Park
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
The Effectrode is my favorite - an absolutely stunning pedal.

Drew_swiss
03-31-2011, 10:25 PM
MINI BI-comp is the best, guys I play with.. only use a compressor and a booster pedal, its amazing. I'd swear by it.

HillbillySims
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Said it... say it again... i sold my Keeley's after I heard the cheapo Guyatone ST-2... awesome!!

redbeardrob
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
i've never used one... how do i know if i want one or not?

solitaire
04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
The MXR Dynacomp. Possibly the compressor that messes up the tone the least.

Leftyman
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Personally I do not care for compression. It takes all the dynamics out of your playing, but I do sometimes see a need for them. There is a guy on youtube who is also on here that does a lot of pedal demos. He said after trying a lot of different ones he settled on the Wampler Ego Compressor because it was by far the best out of evrything he had tried. There are a lot of different types of compressors so you might want to see what "type" you are going for but the Wampler is one you might want to check out. Out of all the pedals this guy has tried out I listen when he says he really likes something.

Bobby D
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
BJFe PGC

Mad Professor FGC

vintage 80s TC Electronic Sustain/Parametric EQ

guitarz1972
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
The MXR Dynacomp. Possibly the compressor that messes up the tone the least.

It might be of interest to the OP that the Dynacomp (I think) was used by John during recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Someone might check me on that to make sure.

Joeleo
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know.. can the Pine Green Compressor go from transparent to heavy effect-like squashing?

imho, no not really. It can squash enough to give all the compression needed for "chicken-pickin", but that's with the comp maxed out, so it doesn't really have another gear after that.

The Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor CAN get downright effect-like though. It's maxed-out comp is a lot more intense than that of the PGC, for better or worse.

jaycee
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I love my CMATMODS deluxe signa comp.

Hemispheres
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
To me, it's the Visual Sound compressor.

Heady Jam Fan
04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Ross clones are the best for a darker, more vintage sound IMO. I had an Analogman which was awesome, also had a Barber which i really liked too. Those two were similar, but the Barber was gentler, yet could still get squishy.

I ended up selling both and getting a Maxon CP9pro+. It is more translucent IMO (I set the ratio really low and threshold high, increases sustain mildly and fattens tone a bit). This has the DBX rackmount in a box. Another thing I liked about it is that it responds well to Humbuckers whereas Ross clones tend to get gritty in my experience.

The Joe Meek FloorQ looks cool too, that is also a rack-to-pedal box, different technology.

Bongomania helped point me in the right direction, I suspect he will comment on here, but I suggest thinking about how you are going to use it, what sounds you like and let people know what kind of music you like (pickin' might want more attack, heavy might want fat sustain...)

Selsaral
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I am no expert. I've owned a Boss CS3, an MXR Dynacomp, the POD HD500 (the tube compressor was the best but I tried them all), and the Barber Tone Press.

I liked the Dynacomp the least. It's the least transparent and the most squishy.

The Barber Tone Press is by far the best I've tried and I am completely satisfied with it.

HillbillySims
04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Nobody talk to Selsaral... he has had 666 posts....

scolfax
04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to hop in and give a +1 for Diamond.

Chappo
04-01-2011, 04:15 PM
No one going for Keeley?

LouRossi
04-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Boss CS-2 & TC Sustain are my favorites

& have been digging into the dyna-comp script RI as well

digiTED
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I love my Diamond, but it's not a sustainer. My Wampler Ego is a great low-noise sustainer that loves my Pharaoh and Frazz Dazzler. It's a little noisy with my Silver Kiss, but I wouldn't need the Ego with SK anyway. I like to sustain the heavy fuzz tho!

JRBain
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll chip into this thread.

I've been getting into slide/lap steel wannabe stuff of late, and have come to the conclusion that I could really do with a compressor. I'm currently using my Boss SD-1 for extra sustain and prominence, and to make the notes 'hang' more, without decaying, for those big glissandos. Normally I fall into the anti-compression camp - I don't really like the 'squish-and-swell' sound of heavy compression for my general playing. I do like heavy compression however, if as an effect in itself - eg. Another Brick pt. 2.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really looking for something that will really make my slide playing stand out, adding some nice sustain as well preferably.

I've identified the following as possibilities, but I haven't tried them out or heard any demos that proved their capability to fulfil my purpose:

Rothwell Love Squeeze

Stock Dyna Comp [possibly with mods later down the line]

Boss CS-3 [Also with mods, if only to solve the horrible noise problem]

Might any of these work? I don't have the money right now, but when I do it won't be much, so unfortunately I won't be able to afford anything pricey! :(:p

splatt
04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
well, i've used a TC Sustain Para since 1979;
the same one, all these yrs.
32 yrs!
until today.

today, i switched to my backup, as it seems my original one is sickly.

my backup?
yup!

another TC Sustain Para,
purchased from a friend 15yrs ago for $60.

woo-hoo!

dt / spltrcl

HarryJ
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I love my CMATMODS deluxe signa comp.

Used the Analogman BiComp, Tone Press, modded Boss, script MXR, for years.
All knock out of my pedal board by the Cmat deluxe Signa Comp.

HJ

Double V
04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Tone Press

Barber Tone Press is a good choice

kjriel
04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I have a few good ones.

My favorite is my CMAT mods Deluxe Signa Comp. I also have an Analogman mini bicomp that is very good. Lastly I love the pigtronix philosopher tone as a sustainer. Works great clean or with an acoustic guitar, but it does have some funny quirks. Grit knob is not my cup of tea.

Ollie S
04-08-2011, 09:18 AM
I had a BOSS CS-3 (MIT) and sold it, was going to buy a Dyna Comp but brought a second hand Keeley C4 for a little bit more, went with it. Great compressor, makes everything play better and sound nicer.

Whiskeyrebel
04-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Said it... say it again... i sold my Keeley's after I heard the cheapo Guyatone ST-2... awesome!!
I haven't tried many others to compare with the ST-2 but I sure like using mine for slide. The direct blend switch is great for keeping the note attack from getting blurred out.

Evansexcellent
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
If it was me I would go for either a Keeley, Diamond, or Analogman.

JRBain
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I'll chip into this thread.

I've been getting into slide/lap steel wannabe stuff of late, and have come to the conclusion that I could really do with a compressor. I'm currently using my Boss SD-1 for extra sustain and prominence, and to make the notes 'hang' more, without decaying, for those big glissandos. Normally I fall into the anti-compression camp - I don't really like the 'squish-and-swell' sound of heavy compression for my general playing. I do like heavy compression however, if as an effect in itself - eg. Another Brick pt. 2.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really looking for something that will really make my slide playing stand out, adding some nice sustain as well preferably.

I've identified the following as possibilities, but I haven't tried them out or heard any demos that proved their capability to fulfil my purpose:

Rothwell Love Squeeze

Stock Dyna Comp [possibly with mods later down the line]

Boss CS-3 [Also with mods, if only to solve the horrible noise problem]

Might any of these work? I don't have the money right now, but when I do it won't be much, so unfortunately I won't be able to afford anything pricey! :(:p

Anyone? :)

JRBain
04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
One last bump...

O.D.Tubes
04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I like the Analog.man big box 3 knob, and Barber Tone-Press. And the Diamond Bass for Bass. So far the Analog.man is by far the cleanest sounding I've heard. But I haven't heard the Wampler EGO and I've been so impressed with Brian's stuff that I won't buy till I check it out. IF you're looking for that Nashville twang thang, the Dynacomp is the standard.

VONG
04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I have multiple compressors, but if I really wanted to hold a note for 37 minutes...it's a Dyna Comp...$30 used on ebay...or maybe less...

JRBain
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Hmm...

The Dyna does look appealing...

I guess if I'm only going to use it to make my slide double stops jump out and sustain for crazy glissandos, maybe I don't need the 'transparency' of something more expensive?

Hmm...

Decisions, decisions...

:p

Theroyalconsort
04-09-2011, 08:10 AM
My exerience with compressors goes like this.

I had an early Dynacomp... Really nice... does warm your tone up a bit but in a nice way... (if you want transparent then avoid) that died

then bought a CS3 and hated it with a pasion.
Its transparent I suppose but in a nasty sterile way.
It irons sounds flat leaving no character whilst imparting none itself.
Would be OK for distortion control but it imparts too much noise to be run before high gain.

Tried a few others over the years (Marshall, new Dynacomp and a few others I dont remember) but never found one that I'd use
so I'd go Dynacomp reissue.

Must try the reissue.

Whiskeyrebel
04-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Bain, this is the model I was using for slide before getting the Guyatone. I still have mine and only replaced it because I wanted the dry blend option that the Guyatone has. It is really good for slide
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Compressor-Sustainer-CSR-2-/180648289311

JRBain
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Bain, this is the model I was using for slide before getting the Guyatone. I still have mine and only replaced it because I wanted the dry blend option that the Guyatone has. It is really good for slide
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Compressor-Sustainer-CSR-2-/180648289311 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5336713463&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2FPeavey-Compressor-Sustainer-CSR-2-%2F180648289311)

Thanks man, will remember that!

James

Frankie_G
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I like my BOSS DS-3.

harpinon
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Compressors are funny. A lot depends on the guitar and amp.
I love my guyatone for guitar.
I had a Diamond that is great on guitar, but destroyed the tone of a jazz bass.
The best compression I ever got was with an Alesis 3630 with a j-bass, Ampeg head and Mesa RR cab w/ evm's. Slapping a string was like getting sucker punched.

EuroCool
04-10-2011, 03:30 AM
The "best" for me is my Ross grey comp, they're legendary for a reason & i have yet to hear a clone that equals the super juicy tone of a good original; that said I use my AM mini Bicomp a lot too because it's more versatile, Janglebox is cool too. I've tried many others, Diamond etc... Would like to test an Effectrode.

mullytron
04-10-2011, 04:04 AM
vintage 80s TC Electronic Sustain/Parametric EQ

Dude, I love the old TC. It's like spiking saccharine right in the eyeball, it's just *SO* processed sounding, I love it. It has that TC classiness.

For normal compressor duties, I use an aNaLoGmAn BiComp (not subtle), a Demeter compulator (subtle), and am getting a Farndurk. Whee! I love the squish. Never owned a Keeley, always lust for it when I hear other guys on it.