PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Dual Tremelo - Very, Very Nice

62Tele
12-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Got one today from PGS and have to say, this is a very nice trem pedal. I never really use all the different wave forms and rhythm options out there, I'm pretty much after amp tremelo but with greater range. This one gets as fast or as slow as I will ever use, is very transparent sounding, has nothing on it I won't use and as a result is extremely fast and easy to dial in. Much like my Retro Sonic Delay, two speeds/depths are more than enough. Seems very well built, nice and compact for what it offers, and is very quiet. Looks like a keeper.

Any other fans of this one?

Grenville
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know if it's similar/dissimilar to the T. Jauernig Dual Rate Tremolo that T. Jauernig also designed?

Guitarzan
12-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know if it's similar/dissimilar to the T. Jauernig Dual Rate Tremolo that T. Jauernig also designed?

Thanks guys! It is indeed similar to the dual rate just has two independent depth controls as well as the speed and overall Volume control.

62Tele
12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
...has two independent depth controls as well as the speed and overall Volume control.

Which is all it needs.

Grenville
01-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I did try out the T. Jauernig Dual Rate Tremolo a few years ago, love the idea but it seemed a little 'cold' next to my existing trem pedal.

So... I'm interested if the circuit has been modded for the Josh Trem. The new one sounds very good in the video demos.

Also, having had a Catalinbread Semaphore a couple of times, I don't really get on with the horizontal layout, vertical would suit me better.

Yes, I know it wasn't made for me specifically, just my take on it. ;)

Guitarzan
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
It is a little different from the Jauernig twin rate trem.......I feel like it is more amp-like now. I'm still really happy with how it came out!

rreiser
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I am very happy with mine.

tjauernig
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
To clear up the question. I designed this pedal and it is pretty much exactly the same as my original dual rate. Just added the additional circutry to put in the additional depth control Josh asked for. The JFET amplifier circuit of the pedal is exactly the same as the original Lux Trem.

The Rockett guys had to change a few components in the LFO's of the pedal due to some LED changes. (different colors react differently in the circuit) But that being the case, the LFO's only creat the oscillation, and do not effect the tone of the JFET amp part of the pedals.The pedal functions very similar to how the bias modulating tremolo in a DR works, only with a JFET instead of tubes.

Guitarzan
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
To clear up the question. I designed this pedal and it is pretty much exactly the same as my original dual rate. Just added the additional circutry to put in the additional depth control Josh asked for. The JFET amplifier circuit of the pedal is exactly the same as the original Lux Trem.

The Rockett guys had to change a few components in the LFO's of the pedal due to some LED changes. (different colors react differently in the circuit) But that being the case, the LFO's only creat the oscillation, and do not effect the tone of the JFET amp part of the pedals.The pedal functions very similar to how the bias modulating tremolo in a DR works, only with a JFET instead of tubes.

Yes sir!! Tim you are the man!!

King Rat
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
saw this one looks amazing, i have the flexdrive and it rockks, using a supatrem but if it died i would come a knocking

62Tele
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I did try out the T. Jauernig Dual Rate Tremolo a few years ago, love the idea but it seemed a little 'cold' next to my existing trem pedal.

So... I'm interested if the circuit has been modded for the Josh Trem. The new one sounds very good in the video demos.

Also, having had a Catalinbread Semaphore a couple of times, I don't really get on with the horizontal layout, vertical would suit me better.

Yes, I know it wasn't made for me specifically, just my take on it. ;)

I did a little shootout next to two other trems that are pretty popular around here. I'd like to stay away from names since I don't want to take anything away from these other excellent designs and reputable builders. I wouldn't say that any of the three were "best", all brought something slightly different to the table.

What the JS offered, aside from the features, was clarity. I played a tele clean and the inherent tone was unchanged with the JS. I know some folks want swampy - which in my mind can mean a slightly darker, more distorted tonality. I love that sound too in some applications. But what I want a trem to do is survive in a mix, and I've found some of the swampier stuff can disappear in a live setting. I don't mean to imply that the pedal sounds sterile - it pulls off clear and musical without sounding clinical. It actually made me realize that one of my other trem pedals was messing with my tone a bit.

This is not a pedal for guys who want helicopter chop, wave forms, different rhythms, a lot of coloration etc. It's a great tool if you want a simple amp kind of trem, a nice range of speeds and a way to change it on the fly without spending time staring at you feet or bending over to tweak knobs. If I want my tone to be swampier, I'll roll off the tone pot on my guitar a little and maybe step on a low gainer.

As for the size, the horizontal format really isn't as much of a real estate hog as the Supa Trem, and turned vertical, it's still easy to use and takes up only slightly more space than an MXR sized pedal. Considering the fact that it's doing the work of two trem pedals, it's pretty efficient.

I've been through a number of trems that are iconic on this page - some were great, others didn't impress me that much, some had features that I just didn't need. For my needs, the JS is a good blend of tone, form and function.

Grenville
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies everyone.

How do you go with the knobs? I always found horizontal pedals I kept knocking/accidentally turning the knobs with my feet!

tjauernig
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks Josh. And you ROCK!!!!!!!! Love that new CD. MAybe I'll see you at NAMM, I just might make it this year.

wichita
01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm loving mine. Its a great trem.

Guitarzan
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Josh. And you ROCK!!!!!!!! Love that new CD. MAybe I'll see you at NAMM, I just might make it this year.

I hope to see you....call me when you get here!

Guitarzan
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm loving mine. Its a great trem.

I'm glad to know you are digging it!

62Tele
02-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Time to bring this back up. The more I use this one, the more I like it. Anybody else giving this one a whirl?

WahmBoomAh
01-30-2014, 09:06 PM
I`m confused about the waveform ... the ad print I`ve seen talks about a Brownface amp style trem ...but the builder here equates it to a DR trem . I always thought the BF trem was more on/off than the Brownface`s more irregular rise and fall (I realize were not talking about the harmonic Brown ...but the smaller Brown amos like the Deluxe and Princeton . Do we agree that the Brown feels different than the BF ?

fahrner
01-30-2014, 09:31 PM
The J. Rockett (Josh) dual trem is a great pedal. I'm loving mine.

DavidE
02-17-2014, 01:33 PM
How does the blue version differ from the white? And how does the red version 2 (V2) differ from the others?

bobotwt
09-19-2014, 07:16 AM
I`m confused about the waveform ... the ad print I`ve seen talks about a Brownface amp style trem ...but the builder here equates it to a DR trem . I always thought the BF trem was more on/off than the Brownface`s more irregular rise and fall (I realize were not talking about the harmonic Brown ...but the smaller Brown amos like the Deluxe and Princeton . Do we agree that the Brown feels different than the BF ?

:agree

I'd like to know as well. I am looking for a new trem to replace my Powerglide and I want the Princeton/Brownface smooth bias trem rather than the Blackface opto type.

Josh

Guitarzan
09-19-2014, 10:04 AM
It is most definitely a blackface style trem.

Josh

theanalogdream
09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I had one and had to sell it when funds were tight... I don't use trem a whole lot, but this was for sure a very nice pedal!