PDA

View Full Version : Wampler Faux Reverb vs Neunaber Wet?

brewbaker
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone tried or have both? I'm looking for a reverb pedal to use in the loop of my Tweaker. I've heard nothing but good things about the Wet but have not heard much either way on the Wampler. Their reputation is good I understand.
Prices are comparable.

ES330
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
I have the WET, and think it's a good pedal.

I've only tried the Wampler compressor and it sounded Hi-Fi

brewbaker
01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Anyone else?

ianb
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd like to bump this thread, as these are the two reverbs I am also considering.

So anyone who has had the chance to compare, please post your impressions!

ianb
01-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Still hoping for more comparisons.......

BJJ&Blues
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Reviving an old thread. I have the exact same question. I like what i have heard on demo videos for both pedals but would like opinions from people who have tried both. I'm looking for SRV's Lenny reverb sounds.

amc
06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
try alf hermida's reverb pedal
that's the one to get...................

ttasselm
06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
To the OP: Honestly, these are two entirely different pedals...What kind of a reverb are you looking for? Do you want deep and lush, or natural and subtle? I'm grossly oversimplifying this, but the WET is much more of a lush "hall" type of sound, and the Wampler is a "spring" flavor. Without knowing what you're looking for at all, I'm not sure what to tell you here.

To BJJBlue: I think either one could work for you if you're going for a SRV sound, but the Wampler is probably better suited for the job. It's a little more "down to earth" and the WET may be a little too engulfing for your blues tones. Of course, the best way to really find out is to try yourself.

*In my own personal opinion, the WET is the best reverb sound I've ever heard. I like my verb big and beautifully modulating. The Wampler is nice for what it is and is built like a champ, but I really don't like spring reverbs to begin with...my opinion is a little biased in that regard.

dnauhei
06-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I found the Wampler too pingy.

BJJ&Blues
06-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks ttasselm

After listening to some more clips, I'm starting to really like the lush quality of the WET. Do you think at low settings, it can work for blues?

ttasselm
06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks ttasselm

After listening to some more clips, I'm starting to really like the lush quality of the WET. Do you think at low settings, it can work for blues?

Absolutely! I have a cheap Biyang Tri-Reverb dedicated to handling my "smaller" reverb settings, but the WET can do it with some knob-fiddling as well. It's strongest at longer decays, in my opinion, but you should be fine with either of these. They're both great.

dabluesman
06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I have both, the WET is unique and sounds "springy'ish" but is not designed to emulate spring reverb. It does its own thing and sounds great.. BUT, it does alter tone a little bit, takes away some of the "body" and/or adds some treble to the signal, kind of thins out the original tone a little..
The Wampler is more traditional spring type sounding reverb but is much more transparent (doesn't alter original tone.) The Wampler also has a tone knob to brighten or darken the reverb trails, a very very nice feature.
The Wampler wins for me due to being so transparent. However if the Wet was as transparent as the Wampler then it would be my winner.

Thanks ttasselm

I know what you mean by the lush quality of the Wet, its the same reason I tried it in the first place. It can definitely work for blues but keep in mind your tone might thin out a little bit. For this reason alone I would recommend the Wampler which, to me, excels at lower settings.
I am very picky about preserving the guitar's original tone, i've spent so much time nitpicking bridge blocks, saddles, strings, pickups, cables, etc.., that for me to plug in to a pedal to hear that tone change is unacceptable. However, maybe your not like me and the Wet may very well work for you and you might even be willing to compensate for any tone change by tweaking amp settings..
Anyways, I noticed your into blues, as am I, so I wanted to share my exprience and thoughts here with you. Happy reverb hunting, you have narrowed it down to my favorite two!

BJJ&Blues
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi dabluesman, thanks for your input! In fact, I am very much like you! I nitpick everything as well and cannot tolerate any pedal coloring my base sound in any way. I'm disappointed to hear that the WET changes your base sound.

Is your WET the latest version? According to their website, they made changes to the bypass to supposedly prevent this from happening. Also, are you using in it in an active effects loop or in front of your amp?

I may have to go with the Wampler. Ideally I'd like to try both and compare them myself but don't feel like spending $400.

dabluesman
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi dabluesman, thanks for your input! In fact, I am very much like you! I nitpick everything as well and cannot tolerate any pedal coloring my base sound in any way. I'm disappointed to hear that the WET changes your base sound.

Is your WET the latest version? According to their website, they made changes to the bypass to supposedly prevent this from happening. Also, are you using in it in an active effects loop or in front of your amp?

I may have to go with the Wampler. Ideally I'd like to try both and compare them myself but don't feel like spending $400.

My Wet pedal was one of the first black one's he made, so it probably doesn't have any new changes. I haven't heard about the new version but I will look into it now that you mentioned it, maybe I can exchange it. I ran it infront of the amp and I only notice this tone change when the reverb is engaged, when bypassed my tone was not affected.

Here was my situtation: A while back I got a Marshall Bluesbreaker (jtm45) combo amp, it's kind of a darker sounding amp and doesn't have reverb.. The first pedal I tried was the Mr. Springgy and it totally changed my tone, even when the bypass was engaged. It sounded like it was tring to change my Marshall into a Fender. So the next pedal I tried was the Wet. If I rate the base tone change of Mr Springgy on a scale of 1-10, I give it an 8, the Wet would get around a 3. So yes my Wet has some tone change but not nearly as much as the Springgy had. I was actually satisfied with the Wet and used it for a few months before I discovered the Wampler. The Wampler truly is transparent and I haven't bothered hooking the Wet back up since then.

Something else about the Wampler: I was demoing a Mesa Boogie TA-30 amp right after they came out. The TA-30 has built-in tube reverb tank and many reviews of the TA-30 rave about the great sounding reverb (which is a little bit darker sounding than the usual Fender type reverb.) I A/B'ed the TA-30's reverb with the Wampler pedal and the Wampler nailed it! I had a friend turn his back and listen as I A/B'ed and he couldn't tell which was which.

By the way, I use just a little bit of reverb, usually never turn the knob up past 9 o'clock (that goes for built in amp reverb and pedals.)

BJJ&Blues
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
According to the Neunaber website, there have been 3 versions of the WET. The original blue, true bypass black, and the newest buffered bypass black. The latest version has a switchable buffered and unbuffered bypass which apparently makes the pedal completely transparent.

I would love to hear from people who have tried the newest model to see if it really doesn't color your base tone.

spiritofeden
06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Malekko Chicken Spring...end of the Spring! :-D

Daka3
06-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Neunaber WET reverb, on the buffered setting here, latest version. Absolutely does not colour my base tone in any perceptible that I can hear. Great unit. Tried the Wampler briefly too in a store at low volume. Sounded good for a spring emulation, but I like to have the deep and beautiful ambient sound that the WET can deliver, in my sonic arsenal too.

jediamond
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Wampler is fantastic. Never used the WET but have tried many others. And I own a Fender Reissue tube reverb unit. I also have an old blackface Super Reverb and a 60's Deluxe Reverb. I am finding I often use the Wampler instead of the classic amps' reverb! Never thought I'd do that but it's really that good!