PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about getting rid of an unwanted hot tub?

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I have an old hot tub that I want gone, but I've never had to get one gone before and don't know what to do with it. It no longer works so I don't want to sell it, and I don't want Craigslist's finest coming to look at it for free. I just need to junk it. I've included some ideas I had, but I'm looking forward to reading some serious "other" comments!

michael.e
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Safety glasses, gloves, respirator and a sawzall. Seriously.

JamesT
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
mail it to me!!!

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Safety glasses, gloves, respirator and a sawzall. Seriously.

That's what my brother-in-law said.

mail it to me!!!

Will you split shipping $$$ with me?

JamesT
01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
sure... if we live close. Is it like an outside one? The only ones I ever saw were in hotels.

bluesjuke
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Other-
My wife convinced her brother how nice a free hot tub would be.*

* Don't know how he got rid of it.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
sure... if we live close. Is it like an outside one? The only ones I ever saw were in hotels.

Yeah, it's outside - 8' x 8', around 850 lbs. I'll double box with lots of packing peanuts!

Other-
My wife convinced her brother how nice a free hot tub would be.*

This is great! Tell your brother-in-law he can pick it up in Kansas City!

* Don't know how he got rid of it.

Oh. Rats...didn't see that part.

NHDave
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
agree... I had an old skool big screen that didn't work... craigslisted
it and had 3 people fighting over it.

Matt Jones
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know...I have always wanted one but I sure see a lot of people getting rid of those things.

Do they just become a burden and you don't want to use them over time?

Jimmy P
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
craigs list. If you post "free hot tub" people will be all over that. Plus it will be fun/funny to see the random scuzzy person that comes to pick it up.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Hmmm...maybe I should reconsider my "No Craigslisters at my home" policy. I don't know if anyone would want it - practically every hose connection on this thing leaks. I was told the manufacturer got a bad batch of glue the year it was made. It was a great tub for a while, but it needs to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch. I don't know if that's even possible, but I know it's not something I would even want to try.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know...I have always wanted one but I sure see a lot of people getting rid of those things.

Do they just become a burden and you don't want to use them over time?

Mine was great at first, but it started leaking so bad that I had to add a ton of water every couple of days, and that made it impossible to keep the chemicals balanced properly. The day it tripped the GFCI circuit breaker, was the day I shut it down for good. I had intentions of fixing it, now I'm looking forward to putting a yard-tool shed on the 8' x 8' slab it's sitting on.

Blindspot
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
You threw it through the neighbor's fence?

Scott Miller
01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
The kids loved it, I used it now and then, but there was maintenance, and it was in a location that was perfect for growing tomatoes. My neighbor was doing a remodel and had extra space in his rented dumpster, so I took a sawzall and... no more hottub! Love them tomatoes...

By the way, watch out when you cut it up. There's water here and there inside it, and when you cut it open, all of a sudden you're standing in a puddle with a big honkin' electric tool in your hands.

Pickaxe
01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Give it away to the nearest TGPer that will haul it off.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 02:53 PM
The kids loved it, I used it now and then, but there was maintenance, and it was in a location that was perfect for growing tomatoes. My neighbor was doing a remodel and had extra space in his rented dumpster, so I took a sawzall and... no more hottub! Love them tomatoes...

I do have a sawzall and dumpster access...may that is the route to go here.

By the way, watch out when you cut it up. There's water here and there inside it, and when you cut it open, all of a sudden you're standing in a puddle with a big honkin' electric tool in your hands.

Thank you for that heads up - I'll be sure I'm plugged into a GFCI.

twinrider1
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Invite professors Roger and Virginia Clarvin over for some spiced meat shanks. They'll take your hot tub, and leave you with fruit liniments and Noxema.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
^Googling...

Stevil
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
i put stuff on the curb & the ghetto fairies take it away, if it sits for a couple days most trash companies let you do a large item trash pickup once every couple months.

DANOCASTER
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
craigs list. If you post "free hot tub" people will be all over that. Plus it will be fun/funny to see the random scuzzy person that comes to pick it up.

THIS

when we renovated our home this year - I had ALL this random stuff. I posted in FREE on Craiglist and it was all gone in a few hours. Even the old torn out countertops , old carpet , etc.. it was CRAZY

as long as it's FREE , it'll go right away

bluesdoc
01-01-2011, 06:06 PM
About 16 yrs ago, we gave our hot tub (it came with the house we bought a couple years earlier) to my next door neighbor. It was on an old redwood deck and there was an older fence separating our yards. We cut the deck out, emptied the tub, sawzall'd the fence down - a section just large enough for the deck/HT to fit, got 8 big guys and hefted it (by the deck boards) from our yard to his. Still there. We reassembled the fence, and that was the beginning of ripping out the entire prior yard decor/concrete/old decking and making it our own, which evolved over the next 8-10 yrs. Onward-->>

jon

campfirehero
01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Just keep it, you have a nice little swimming pool in the summer!

campfirehero
01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
i put stuff on the curb & the ghetto fairies take it away, if it sits for a couple days most trash companies let you do a large item trash pickup once every couple months.

That's a funny name, ghetto fairies...so true

Doug's Tubes
01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I have an old hot tub that I want gone, but I've never had to get one gone before and don't know what to do with it. It no longer works so I don't want to sell it, and I don't want Craigslist's finest coming to look at it for free. I just need to junk it. I've included some ideas I had, but I'm looking forward to reading some serious "other" comments!

Turn it into a time machine!

EricPeterson
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Another vote for cragslist. It will be gone in a day.

Ricman
01-01-2011, 07:30 PM

I's learned me a new word today! GHETTO FAIRIES!! :rotflmao

Whiskeyrebel
01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
If you put it on the curb marked "free" folks might smell a rat. If you mark it "$100 OBO - ask at the house" it may be stolen.

chucke99
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
If you put it on the curb marked "free" folks might smell a rat. If you mark it "$100 OBO - ask at the house" it may be stolen.

Too funny. Excellent reply. I'm going to try that with the next piece of carp I need to get rid of.

Jerry Shaw
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
OK, I live at the end of a dead end street in a rural area so the Ghetto Fairies probably won't appear here. I like the idea though! We don't even have "Bulky Item/Appliance Pickup Day" here, so I'm on my own. I could put it in my neighbor's yard and invite the Craigslisters to his house...but I think I'll just go sawzall>dumpster.

groovetube
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Craigslist 100%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Free or for money, it WILL sell.

Faraldi
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Invite professors Roger and Virginia Clarvin over for some spiced meat shanks. They'll take your hot tub, and leave you with fruit liniments and Noxema.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs464.snc4/50275_119957214685137_6042365_n.jpg

riff1006
01-02-2011, 04:24 AM
I sold mine for $1000 a few years ago. A co-worker wanted it.

Ricman
01-02-2011, 05:19 AM
PM sent. If you're going to be tearing things up, I likes tearing things up. Much easier than putting it back together.
If enough TGPer's came over with their sawzalls, we could have that bad boy taken out in 2.4 minutes, tops.
Hopefully we'd all have enough fingers left to play afterwards.

bigdaddyj
01-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Put it at the end of the drive way with a for sale sign on it, it will be gone in the morning.

whitehall
01-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Drag it out to the curb. Someone will take it figuring they can fix it. Or just tell a few neighbors you will give to someone who will come and get it. People will come and get most anything if its free.

stratzrus
01-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Call Eddie Murphy, he might want it...

jLY7Ry17C9A

Ricman
01-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Craigslist, on second thought, Jer.
Even if you only get $75-$100 for it that's towards a new pedal for your board or a set of Lava pedalboard cables!
I'll help you get it out to curbside, or driveway for their pickup!

koen
01-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Or bring it to the local Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity or something. If it is too big, they may be able to pick it up. Someone will be happy with it.

coldfingaz
01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
I ship mine to Mt. Kwakleberry (collect) via UPS.

Boris Bubbanov
01-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Keep it around as a frequent reminder to your house guests:

Hot tubs are passe.

When my girlfriend was shopping for The Cabin, you wouldn't have believed how abruptly she'd pass over a prospect once she saw there was a hot tub.

On second thought, pay any amount to have it taken away at once. ;)

Dr. Tweedbucket
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Poisonally, :red I would tie a rope to it and drag it around behind your truck until there is nothing left of it. Most of it will grind down into nothing, and remember, the faster you go, the faster it goes! :idea

Glad I cuold help :love:

stratovarius
01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Put a big fan on the back of it to make a really nifty swamp buggy! :idea