PDA

View Full Version : Fake CF Martin & CO guitars from China

RockinB23
01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Well if those fake Gibson Les Paul's didn't bother you here is another example of this. A new CF Martin & Co just started producing guitars in China and its amazing according to their headstock they were established in 1833 as well. I found this whole thing quite disturbing!!!

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2010/101214/101214_martin.html

Jahn
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Holy Moley. That takes the cake. Martin Guitars must have thought "you gotta be KIDDING me" when they showed up at that trade show!

Tuberattler
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
That is outrageous! I surely hope Martin is able to do something, this is a game changer. Just Wow!

pickaguitar
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm a huge Martin fan and owner...however let's see'em!

musicofanatic5
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Have you seen 'em?!? Easily detectable as a p.o.s. from across a dark room. Not even close!! They look like any other cheap crap import. There's a pawn shop on ebay I have seen listing them as a "Martin" and they either truly do not know it isn't a Martin (yeah, right!), or just playing dumb.

otterhound
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
If that pawn shop is in the USA and Martin learns of it , they could be in a world of hurt all the way down to the importer . Rightfully so .

CyberFerret
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Takes 'identity theft' to a whole new level...wow!

SuperSonic
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Internationalism at its finest. They are probably bankrolled by Goldman Sachs with Tarp funds.

Jaan
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
If that pawn shop is in the USA and Martin learns of it , they could be in a world of hurt all the way down to the importer . Rightfully so .

Lets hope so

sgon
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Well if those fake Gibson Les Paul's didn't bother you here is another example of this. A new CF Martin & Co just started producing guitars in China and its amazing according to their headstock they were established in 1833 as well. I found this whole thing quite disturbing!!!

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2010/101214/101214_martin.html

And incidentally all of them are "made in USA"
There is a lot of discussion going on in another thread in AGF here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203886&page=4

otterhound
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Take one to the factory and show it to them . Tell me what happens .

sgon
01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Take one to the factory and show it to them . Tell me what happens .

Read the first couple of sentences in the article that OP posted:
C.F. Martin executives got an unwelcome surprise when they arrived in Shanghai for Music China this past October: Another C.F. Martin had set up shop in the trade show hall.

The exhibit bore the Martin & Co. logo, down to the tag line "Est. 1833," and featured dead ringers of several best-selling Martin guitars. And yet the company had no relation to C.F. Martin.

majordelt
01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Truly disturbing.

otterhound
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Read the first couple of sentences in the article that OP posted:
C.F. Martin executives got an unwelcome surprise when they arrived in Shanghai for Music China this past October: Another C.F. Martin had set up shop in the trade show hall.

The exhibit bore the Martin & Co. logo, down to the tag line "Est. 1833," and featured dead ringers of several best-selling Martin guitars. And yet the company had no relation to C.F. Martin.
OK . Stroll on down to the factory in Nazareth with that banner/booth . Show it/them to the good people at Martin in Nazareth and tell me what happens .
One just may be able to get away with that in China , but Nazareth ain't in China .
Martin's battle in China is lost . Up to me , I would immediately confirm the company trademark status in every market that my company was in . I would do what it takes to protect that trademark . With that done , I would assess the company's market in China . If I felt that my company could survive it , I would immediately pull out of the Chinese market .
" Let them eat fakes "
I would also call for the suicide of those that dishonored the good Martin name and set out on a very public campaign to shame the imposters in China .
One mans opinion .

dangeroso
01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Speaking as someone who buys most of his gear used, these stories really make me cringe.

musicofanatic5
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I am not sure I fully understand the seemingly "high moral tone" driving some of the outrage over this (the tone on the AGF smacks of pure jingoism!), but to each his own. I would hope that through the benefit of forums like this and others, gtr buyers could avoid stupid (uneducated) mistakes like not being able to discern a counterfeit gtr (I pretty much smelled it's phony-stink through the computer screen when I first saw one, and that goes for the LPs, too) from the reel deel. My latin is a little weak, but I believe it's caveat emptor,now more than everin the free global marketplace!

otterhound
01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Don't know latin .
Trust but verify .
If a seller is unwilling to provide proper photos and serial number to verify through Martin , I say stay away .
I don't sense any " high moral tone " here . Trademarks and the protection that they are supposed to provide are pure legal matters . Either the guitar is legal in the USA in accordance with those protections or it isn't .
Ask Gibson how this works with wood/s .
It is like counterfeit money . It is not illegal until you try to pass it off as the real thing .
These fakes should be traced back to the importer and the importer/s should be slammed .
I am curious as to whether the HPL Martins are being copied . A fake import that copies a legit import .

musicofanatic5
01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I was one of the hoodlums cutting Latin and out behind the gym smoking cigarettes.

"I don't sense any " high moral tone " here"

"These fakes should be traced back to the importer and the importer/s should be slammed"

There's yer HMT right there (quote #2)! I do not get where the outraged indignation comes from? Are you a Martin stockholder? Sorry, but I can't get myself terribly worked up over this. I'm not the only one who can spot a fake Martin, am I? And if Martin's cozy little scene gets shook up a little, that certainly won't hurt us, the Martin buying public!