PDA

View Full Version : Black Art Pharaoh- REVIEW AND GUITAR/BASS DEMO

aawshred
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I just ordered what many consider to be the best fuzz pedal ever. the black arts pharaoh. dealing with mark was a pleasure, he responded very fast, was super informative, and eager to give you any information you wanted. the pharaoh is very generously priced at 130 US cont shipped. this pedal can do all your od fuzz facesqueness to extreme big muff to doomtasia. he builds them in patches, so you gotta work fast to get one. but once again, he is a super nice guy and i will probably buy any other pedal he comes out with so that i can know that my money is going to a good place! thanks a ton mark!

I've had the pharaoh for a month or 2 now. below is the review i sent to mark and links to the guitar and bass demo i did last night. i will most likely be doing more demos.

Dude, i am LOVING the pharaoh. there's something about it, i guess you could say it has a definite "IT" factor. A problem i've been having a problem with pedals lately is that they're either good for rhythm, or for leads. This pedal excels at both, and has INSANE amounts of sustain. i can't stress that enough, it was actually sort of weirding me out how much sustain it had, but this is perfect for a lot of the stuff i play. This pedal will serve you well if you're playing rock, 60's, psychedelic, DOOOOMMMMM, stoner rock, that kinda stuff. very versatile. the two tone knobs are very interactive making for a very versatile pedal. they don't just affect the EQ, but they affect the response and tightness of the pedal which i think is outstanding. the switches i think are especially useful for when you want to use this with bass, or if you want a looser nastier louder sound (the bottom switch). Definitely has some subtle big muff tones, but with out the typical mid scoop. I've yet to play it with an amp that it didn't like, nor guitar. Or pedal for that matter, it stacks very well, especially if you're putting another overdrive in front of it to take the gain into galactic destruction territory. Not to mention what an amazing deal this was, i was expecting some serious unobtanium and out-of-this-world pricing, but that wasn't the case at all! as soon as i heard it, i knew i wanted it, but as soon as i saw the price, i knew i would buy it ASAP. You've been an amazing guy to deal with, i've never experienced such a personal pedal purchase, and i hope that you get tons of business in the future. I look forward to any other pedals you may come out with! rock on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXYiejb4vik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWMJNNvnuY

enjoy!

Holy Schnikes
01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I too just received a Pharaoh and agree that it's one of the BEST fuzz pedals I've ever owned, plain and simple. Here's a brief review I did on another forum:

The Pharaoh definitely reigns supreme! I've had the pleasure of playing it loudly all day and it sounds super badass! I love how wide open this thing sounds, just sings with pure dynamic heaviness and awesome touch sensitivity. None of the nasal, choking, piercing sounds a lot of fuzzes produce, the Pharaoh just blooms smooth fuzz out of my speakers. The tone controls make it really versatile, but in all honesty, when I first plugged it in, tones were at 12o'clock, adjusted fuzz and volume, high gain and diodes in and just zoned out playing it for over an hour! When I first switched it on, I noticed it was quiet as a mouse, until I hit a note, fuzz heaven.

When I finally started adjusting things, I realized this is the best sounding fuzz I've ever owned that also demonstrated this much versatility! I get amazing low gain, overdrive style tones, punchy distortion, and all out smooth, thick, juicy fuzz with low end fully in tact, just amazing. I hate when fuzz pedals take over your guitar and amp tone and impart their own. The Pharaoh is definitely not guilty of this, just lets your guitar breathe through it while adding a healthy dose of heaviness. Oh yea, it looks amazing as well, super cool cosmetic design! And the price is superb, thank you!

aawshred
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
great to hear that man!

insubordination
01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I just ordered what many consider to be the best fuzz pedal ever. the black star pharaoh. dealing with mark was a pleasure, he responded very fast, was super informative, and eager to give you any information you wanted. the pharaoh is very generously priced at 130 US cont shipped. this pedal can do all your od fuzz facesqueness to extreme big muff to doomtasia. he builds them in patches, so you gotta work fast to get one. but once again, he is a super nice guy and i will probably buy any other pedal he comes out with so that i can know that my money is going to a good place! thanks a ton mark!

Black Arts Tone Works, not Black Star. :aok http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

I will third the support for this awesome pedal, and its maker. Just ordered a second one in fact! Sooooo much low end, way more versatile than you might think, stacks super well with OD pedals, and just ****ing rules.

ChaseTMP
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
These have my interest.

insubordination
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Wha? Where are these threads and what are people saying?

Holy Schnikes
01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
These had/have my interest, but there are a couple of threads with serious concerns with their customer service, which has worried, despite the OP's positive recent experience.

Mark's customer service was spectacular when ordering my pedal. I originally inquired about custom options and he got back to me quickly with every answer I needed to know, just super helpful in every way.

Further, he shipped my pedal out quickly with Priority service at no charge and when I reviewed it, he got in touch to thank me. Can't imagine getting bad service after my GREAT experience dealing with Mark at Black Arts Toneworks.

SpaceFlunky
01-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I really want to check out the Pharaoh. The price is pretty awesome too!

Hazelwould
01-09-2011, 11:47 PM
These had/have my interest, but there are a couple of threads with serious concerns with their customer service, which has worried, despite the OP's positive recent experience.

Huh? What threads?

Holy Schnikes
01-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I really want to check out the Pharaoh. The price is pretty awesome too!

You should, definitely. I had been hearing about it here and there and checking out clips, but when I saw the price, I had to go ahead and order it. After plugging it in, I must say it feels like one of the better bargains I've ever had in my gear buying lifetime.

Godspeed64
01-09-2011, 11:53 PM
The price seems to good to be true.

SpaceFlunky
01-10-2011, 12:01 AM
You should, definitely. I had been hearing about it here and there and checking out clips, but when I saw the price, I had to go ahead and order it. After plugging it in, I must say it feels like one of the better bargains I've ever had in my gear buying lifetime.

my bday is coming up in feb...i might just get me one as a gift to myself. :Devil

Holy Schnikes
01-10-2011, 12:06 AM
my bday is coming up in feb...i might just get me one as a gift to myself. :Devil

That's funny, mine was a bday gift for myself as well, and my bday is still a couple weeks from now.

Black Arts Mark
01-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all of your support guys, it is very appreciated. It's awesome to know that soo many fuzz lovers love the Pharaoh.

As far as bad Customer Service, IDK. News to me. I'd like a link to those threads, if there is a problem, maybe I can fix it there because it's unknown on my end.

fuzzfarmer
01-10-2011, 06:36 AM

Maybe he's confused Black Arts with Black Star..because of the original post.

If anybody has questions, they should shoot him an email. Mark is quick to respond, and excenllent to deal with.

I have Pharaoh's # 9 and #25.:aok

ChaseTMP
01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Here was one of the threads, albeit; an old one:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=305355&highlight=Pharaoh

There was another singular post with someone saying they could not get in contact with Pharaoh. I'm not sure if there are two company's using the "Pharaoh" name, since I see Mark and Matt, both referenced. I wasn't trying to degrade anyone's busniness-standing. I'm just wary nowadays, having had communication issues with several pedal builders.

doctord02
01-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Pharaoh Amps is not the same outfit at all... Lets not confuse this issue with misinformation.

Holy Schnikes
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe he's confused Black Arts with Black Star..because of the original post.

When I was first checking out the Pharaoh, I came across a pedal called the Uptown Fuzz made by Pharaoh Amplifiers on google, maybe that's causing confusion? Oh, just saw the thread link, that's def the case. The Pharaoh fuzz is made by Mark of Black Arts Toneworks.

ChaseTMP
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I edited my post with customer service concerns. I apologize to Black Arts Toneworks. Both companies use the word "Pharaoh" and work on amps as well as have their own pedal creation(s). I'll most likely be ordering a Pharaoh Fuzz.

fuzzfarmer
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Black Arts Toneworks

Morningstaru
01-10-2011, 02:33 PM
The pharaoh has been getting rave reviews over at ilovefuzz (down right now :FM), I'm excited to try one.

In fact...I'm writing back to Mark about procuring one as we speak.

SpaceFlunky
01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
The pharaoh has been getting rave reviews over at ilovefuzz (down right now :FM), I'm excited to try one.

In fact...I'm writing back to Mark about procuring one as we speak.

Its like you took the words right out of my mouth!

Hazelwould
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep! Order'd!

So excited! I'm a sucker for flexible fuzz pedals that can go from OD to DOOM! :)

Black Arts Mark
01-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks to alla yinz who have a Pharaoh, and to those who have ordered. I haven't been able to keep a stock of these. I sell them faster than I can build them.

Thanks Chase for correcting the misunderstanding. Thanks for being a stand up guy.

StaxSoul
01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Mark is a really knowledgeable person and his customer service is the best. Although it's based on a muff circuit, the pharaoh is definitely not a muff clone.

goodhonk
01-11-2011, 08:30 AM
pharaoh on the right

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/goodhonk/IMGP8420.jpg

symbolique
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
+ 1 for the Pharaoh, it rocks awesome on my Duende

Morningstaru
01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Paid up...and now, the waiting game :Spank

aawshred
01-11-2011, 11:53 PM
man, he's a really stand-up guy. i hope he gets lots of business in the future, especially considering the awesomeness of this fuzz. i see it becoming very highly desired one day.

fuzzfarmer
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Pharaoh #9 on the left. Pharaoh #25 on the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Fuzzfarmer/DSCN1703.jpg

aawshred
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
DUDE. nicest freaking set up ever. that's like nauseatingly awesome. that sunn half stack? rock on dude!

Hazelwould
01-16-2011, 11:43 PM

Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's so rad man!

I can NOT wait for mine. It sounds like just what the Doc ordered. :drink

JimiStrat
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Sound clips anyone, please??? :aok

fuzzfarmer
01-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Sound clips anyone, please??? :aok

Mark has some sound clips on his Black Arts Toneworks page, on the right hand side.
http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

Hazelwould
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Also on his souldclick page there are some pretty good ones.

SpaceFlunky
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM

:drool

goodhonk
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
fyi, here's one for $100 or trades.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731972

aawshred
01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
bump for added review

Trotter
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I received my Pharaoh this last week from Mark. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. This pedal is a monster... huge, well defined bass, no mid-range cut, and tons of sustain. Without question the biggest and most badass fuzz I've tried (and I've tried a ton of fuzz pedals... modern and vintage).

You can tell its origins are muff based, but can do a lot more than the muff thing. By comparison it makes the Hoof fuzz and Musket fuzz seem like cheap little toys.

Highly recommended.

Black Arts Mark
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Aw shucks.....Thanks guys...

Chase and Morningstaru, yours both should ship end of the week.

neville5000
02-27-2011, 01:18 AM
I just watched GMD's demo. I can't believe the sounds coming from one box!!! The price too. Crikey! What's the wait time at?

DraggAmps
02-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I just watched GMD's demo. I can't believe the sounds coming from one box!!! The price too. Crikey! What's the wait time at?

The wait time is about 3 weeks right now. I have a thread about the Pharaoh running right now as well, which has some links to demos and other current info. Quite a few people seem to have just ordered and I believe they said 3 weeks.

scorpiobevo
02-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Just ordered my pharaoh minutes ago. I sold my hoof and musket in hopes i find that very versitile fuzz and hopefully ive done it. I just hope its a quick 3 weeks.

timme_v
02-27-2011, 06:49 AM
ergh, damn you guys.. I just ordered one!

here comes the month wait :( Damn overseas shipping.

campfirehero
02-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I watched the gearmandude demo, sounds pretty good. Too many switches and knobs for my taste though, at least write down what they are on the pedal...

Holy Schnikes
02-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I watched the gearmandude demo, sounds pretty good. Too many switches and knobs for my taste though, at least write down what they are on the pedal...

The knobs and switches are what makes it so versatile. It's really simple to dial in a multitude of amazing tones.

Knobs:
Bottom Left-Fuzz
Bottom Right-Volume
Top Left and Right-Tone controls

Toggles:
Top-Hi/Low gain
Bottom-Diode switching

tashiattack
02-27-2011, 09:14 AM
ergh, damn you guys.. I just ordered one!

here comes the month wait :( Damn overseas shipping.

I promise you it's worth the wait and shipping price. In a month you will email Mark telling him how much you love the pedal!

aawshred
02-27-2011, 09:20 AM
added the demos i recorded last night to the OP

please ignore the intense shredding fail at 3:10! hahahaha

fromdecay
02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
fyi he has dealers for those who don't want to wait

WalkOnCreativity
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
oh man, I can't wait for mine, only 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. It seems the pharaoh has been blowing up this site the past couple days.
Is this what you guys feel like all the time, you know, being on the leading edge of an awesome hardly discovered pedal. You must feel like champs all the time. I can see why everyone on here keeps this up.

david(j)
02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
guys, how does it clean up via guitar volume knob?

fuzz face style?

aawshred
02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
guys, how does it clean up via guitar volume knob?

not quite as well as a fuzz face, but pretty damn well. Also, it probably cleans up better if you have the germanium option. but it does clean up well and is very dynamic.

aawshred
02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
oh man, I can't wait for mine, only 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. It seems the pharaoh has been blowing up this site the past couple days.
Is this what you guys feel like all the time, you know, being on the leading edge of an awesome hardly discovered pedal. You must feel like champs all the time. I can see why everyone on here keeps this up.

Draggamp and I will one day be high-fiving at being the hype creators of what will be a truly coveted pedal- and rightfully so!

WalkOnCreativity
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Draggamp and I will one day be high-fiving at being the hype creators of what will be a truly coveted pedal- and rightfully so!

yeah, you guys created lots of hype around here about this, and it seems that it lived up to most of it.
btw I think it was you that gave me the heads up on rock block in nashville. I got a chance to go there, super nice store. I think that may have replaced guitar center for going and buying pedals.

aawshred
02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
btw I think it was you that gave me the heads up on rock block in nashville. I got a chance to go there, super nice store. I think that may have replaced guitar center for going and buying pedals.

that was probably me, and i'm really glad you liked it! rock block is the best

timme_v
02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I promise you it's worth the wait and shipping price. In a month you will email Mark telling him how much you love the pedal!

It definitely will. The best thing from all of this so far is Mark. I've been such a pain in the ass with my custom colour and he has replied to all my emails just to make sure I'm getting what I want.

Best guy I've dealt with so far. Can't wait for this pedal.

aawshred
02-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Mark is such a cool guy, i wish i lived near him and we could chill and what not. His repsonses are scary fast at almost anytime of the day and he's super personal and you feel like youre talking to a bud

timme_v
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
is the pharaoh buffered or TB?

timmat
02-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Can't wait to get mine...Mark has been great to deal with.

Holy Schnikes
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
is the pharaoh buffered or TB?

True Bypass

DraggAmps
02-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Hahaha I have to agree. I remember telling Mark I was determined to spread the word and get a couple people to buy it. At first it didn't seem like anyone was listening and my thread faded after a couple pages. But all of a sudden after the demos and curious people bumping our threads back up, the wait time seems to have at least doubled. More people saying they just ordered every day. And now it seems like I'm not the only one recommending the Pharaoh in other treads. Plus the Pharaoh shows up in a Premier Guitar ad. Really cool, I'm happy for Mark. Really good dude, treats you like a bud, and gives great service. Definitely deserving of the growing success.

aawshred
02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
ya, several of my friends saw my bass demo and ordered one. i cant wait for people to realize how crushing it is on bass

DGTCrazy
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I've sent an email regarding ordering one, but haven't heard back yet. I'm hoping this can take the place of my Cornish P-2.....so I can get 2 and have plenty of $$ to burn...LOL

CrackTheSkye
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Got one in the works as well. Probably be around 2-2.5 weeks Mark said. Got mine with Germanium option.

Tonefactor just got some in stock so if your interested and don't want to wait head on over there.

teleclem
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Who are the different dealers?

CrackTheSkye
02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Who are the different dealers?

I think just Tonefactor and Prymaxe in the U.S. but am not 100% sure. Mark just told me that he added two new international dealers, 1 in Canada and 1 in Japan. Your best bet is to contact Mark, you can find his info here:
http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

Holy Schnikes
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
My custom Pharaoh showed up today! The black one can take a short rest now.

http://imgur.com/1BzFK.jpg

WalkOnCreativity
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
^very lucky you ordered when you did since he isn't taking custom colors anymore.

Holy Schnikes
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I know, ordered right in the nick of time!

SpaceFlunky
03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
man almost a 3 week wait now huh. Good for him, im glad he is busy. Im glad i only waiting about a week on mine! haha.
I am already contemplating ordering another one......:bonk

Holy Schnikes
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Im glad i only waiting about a week on mine! haha.
I am already contemplating ordering another one......:bonk

Yea, I had my first one within 3 days of ordering, lucky me. I caved and ordered the custom with germ option shortly after receiving the first, this thing is like crack!

Zillie
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Which frequencies do the tone knobs control? I guess mids and ?

Holy Schnikes
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Which frequencies do the tone knobs control? I guess mids and ?

They're interactive, adjust all frequencies depending how you dial them in. You can get a nice bump or scoop in highs, mids, and bass, really increases versatility. There's a more technical/correct description in the pdf manual on his homepage in the right side column www.blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com

Holy Schnikes
03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
So I had the chance last night to put the two Pharaoh setup to the test, OMFG, sounds incredible! The first thing I did was stack 'em, pretty much expecting a bit of a noisy mess, and boy was I wrong. It sounded incredible, like a raunchier, nastier, thicker version of themselves. The results changed dramatically based on adjusting settings and I stumbled across some amazing, blistering tones! Even the Pharaoh loves the Pharaoh.

The Germ option is a must also, IMO. Creates some smoother/creamier results with a little more warmth overall. Sort of a mesh creating the heaviest fuzz/distortion combo ever, really nice addition and a logical step from the Diodes OUT to Diodes IN to Germ settings, really runs the gamut of available tones.

The ulitmate, however, was using both pedals at different settings in a 2 amp setup with my Carr Slant 6V and Orange TV heads, just beyond HUGE, single greatest fuzz experience of my guitar playing life. I don't run 2 amps all that often but I might start lugging both when I play from now on. If you own a Pharaoh, you know how good it sounds on it's own. You also know it packs a plethora of amazing fuzz tones when you get to tweaking. Just imagine two of them set up to compliment one another...

Finally, I found out this morning that my neighbors filed a noise complaint and they don't complain about shit! That's a true testament to the greatness of the Pharaoh.