PDA

View Full Version : Lava Cable vs. George L's

broken_sound
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Pretty much just did a huge revamp of my board and I'm getting more serious with my effects. Right now I'm using some pretty shitty cables and I'm looking to upgrade. I've used George L's a decent amount in the past so I'm pretty familiar with them, but I see a lot of hype for the lava's now.

Any pro's or con's to each? I need about 9 cables right now, I just want to know which are preferred and why before I decide to drop that cash.

batsbrew
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
my track record with george l's cables is, i've still got active live GL cables that date back to 1982.

Dave_C
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
my track record with george l's cables is, i've still got active live GL cables that date back to 1982.

I've replaced all my GL long runs with EA Lyric HG because the GLs were to bright and brittle, but both my pedalboards have had GLs interconnects running flawlessly since the md 90's. I don't doubt the Lavas sound better, but for such tiny lengths and given my large investment in connectors, I'm not switching any time soon!

BluesHarp
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
George L's are better than most cheap kits, but not better than lava mini elc.

There is no "hype" on the lava cable. They pretty much have a solid rep and high regard among those who have tried them.

Gl's: Good tone but has a spikey high end.

Lava: Strong even balanced and natural high end. Superior.

Pretty much just did a huge revamp of my board and I'm getting more serious with my effects. Right now I'm using some pretty shitty cables and I'm looking to upgrade. I've used George L's a decent amount in the past so I'm pretty familiar with them, but I see a lot of hype for the lava's now.

Any pro's or con's to each? I need about 9 cables right now, I just want to know which are preferred and why before I decide to drop that cash.

ChaseTMP
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
George L's Pros: Easy to assemble, and alternate brand cables available from Evidence Audio (Monorail) and Bill Lawrence, that fit the connectors.

Cons: Connections, for me; seem to fail easier than Lavas, when moving pedals around often.

Lava Pros: Connections seem to hold-up better to repeated plugging/unplugging. Smaller connectors than George L.

Cons: More time-intensive to assemble, 1 more piece to lose/misplace and a tad bit harder on your fingers. A few of mine have loosened slightly over time (can be remedied with a drop of blue Loctite), but that didn't affect the connection's continuity.

batsbrew
01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
i've never noticed more treble or 'spikey' tones from using george l's cables, whether short or long.
i only hear more clarity.

cables don't add high end.
they only roll it off.

i prefer to have it, and adjust at my amp.

GuitarToma
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
cables don't add high end.
they only roll it off.

This is quite true. Cables are passive. they are incapable of adding anything. It's the capacitance of the cable that can affect the sound, taking away certain frequencies.

With that said, I felt my GL's were too bright sounding also. I prefer the sound of the Lavas.

FLYING V 83
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm always amazed that some think GLs are bright or "add treble".
Other cables dampen the pure signal while GLs let it through.
A cable is wires & conduit, sorry, no tone controls.
You want the purest sound from your gear, use GLs and adjust your rig.

(over 7 years, probably 200 pedal changes, hundreds of gigs & practices and not a single failure with my GLs)

ToneHero
01-12-2011, 10:02 PM

(over 7 years, probably 200 pedal changes, hundreds of gigs & practices and not a single failure with my GLs)

:agree

kugelblitz
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Personally, I don't think I have the super-human hearing everyone else seems to have when it comes to being able to detect minute differences in frequency roll-off between high-end cable brands at short lengths. :roll

As long as you use good quality cables it's not realistically going to make that much of a difference which brand you choose. Both are highly recommended.

I don't think you can make a good decision between these based on sound quality - I would look more to other features.

For me, I went with Lava cable. My main reason in doing so was that the Lavas have smaller and neater plugs, which mean I can cram more onto the board, and they fit better on the patch part of my my looper - makes the board look a bit neater. :)

teleclem
01-13-2011, 03:44 AM
I've used the GL's and the Lavas for board applications and for my gtr-board and board-amp. Currently, I use GL's .155 form gtr to board and then Lava in my board and board to amp. I got so used to the thin GL's. Anything else feels bulky when I'm standing up.

teleking36
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I used GLs for a while and eventually switched over to the Lavas. I like the design of the plugs better and they seem more rugged that the GL plugs. I never really noticed a difference in tone, but my noise floor went down a bit when I switched. I also had a few patch cables die out on me over time. Those two issues could certainly be user-related, but I haven't had any problems with the lava stuff, which inherently is more difficult to assemble. I figured I would've done something wrong along the way, but my lava patches keep on working. They seem to withstanding twisting and plugging/unplugging better than the GLs as well.

LilSteve
01-13-2011, 06:59 AM
LAVA gets my money...Solid service from Mark.

BluesHarp
01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Amazed? Really? Gl's can seem "brighter" or may seem to accentuate "treble" content when compared to a more neutral cable.

Some cables are crappy and Gl's may be better and let more through.. and then some cables are better than the Gl's and allow a fuller or more balanced bandwidth to pass. All cables "let it through".. some just do it better and more accurate than others.

A cable is wires & conduit only? Over simplifying that a bit, huh? There are thousands of tiny teeny "tone controls" along the length of a cable but they are very very small so that they cant be seen :D..lol, and they can change the many different eq characteristics of a cable. ( jus joking ) There is must to learn about this and the info is above my pay grade.

If you want the purest sound from your rig you may not like it. Why? Because your rig might sound better to your ears if there is a bit more top end, a little less bottom end, and some high end presence. Every cable will add its own eq and im not sure if there even is a proven perfectly flat cable in every way.. but if there is it doesn't mean its popular because we choose cables for some of the same reasons we like one pedal over another. Eq and mojo.

Gl's "give you the purest sound from your gear"? Really? :dunno

They are good cables but "best" depends on you and your signal chain. The best way to compare pedalboard cables is the same way you compare a guitar cable. Exact lengths straight from your guitar to the amp. Try that out sometime.

temple12
01-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here... I feel like when you get up into this price range of cabling, the differences are smaller between brands (as opposed to using whirlwinds vs. George Ls). This is not to say you won't notice a difference; just won't be as big as you thought.

Speaking of differences, I've been using George L's for years now, I find them to be convenient enough not to change brands. I have noticed that there is a difference between gold connectors and the "silver" ones... more midrange to the gold. I've been using them long enough now that I'm convinced it's not my imagination. Anyone else notice this?

GuitarToma
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
...everything you said...

I couldn't agree with this more. I have a Matchless Lightning 15 which is already a bright sounding amp. Talk about the purity of the signal all you want, but when I had the GL's, it was too bright. Period. I swapped my board over to Lava's and it sounded better. More balanced tone. Period. The sound I wanted.

Maybe it's not the right answer for EVERYONE :eek: but it was the right answer for ME. :dunno

JohnRegular
01-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I did have George L's for a while, but they just didn't feel right to me, soundwise. I switched to Fender patch cables, and felt they were more balanced, but they sucked tone somewhat. Recently I started using Mogami cable with Switchcraft jacks, and I think they are the best things ever. A little less physically adaptable, but that doesn't bother me, and the sound is sah-weet.