PDA

View Full Version : top 10 modern ROCK songs a live band should cover

Funky54
01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Not playing with anyone right now, would like to learn some new stuff. Whats relavent today for ROCK? What is recognizable and expected? I'm outta the loop. I know some Weezer and Foo Fighters. What else? Kings of Leon?

ericjohnschwab
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Kings of Leon would be good. I'd say some Shinedown and -I know they get slogged often- Nickelback. Nirvana and Pearl Jam would be good too.

bchamorro
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Alter Bridge - Isolation

Bankston
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Depends on your audience. If it's a real young crowd, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AIC, etc. are classic rock to them.

Unfortunately, Nickelback goes over huge as do all the copycat bands, Hinder, Theory of a Deadman, etc.

Kid Rock's recent stuff goes over well. We used to mash up "All Summer Long" with "Sweet Home Alabama"

The Toadies and RATM always go over, even with younger crowds, especially "Tyler" and "Killing in the Name" (last set type of song, though)

"Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry is still going over pretty well.

The problem with picking songs off the radio, though, is that you have to play them as they go into heavy rotation . . . after the newness wears off, those songs tank big time. It's a pretty narrow window.

XmasTree
01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
something everyone can learn easily.
Nirvana ACDC ....Madonna, Ashley SImpson. AVRIL! learn sk8r boi

Jube2550
01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Motorhead - Ace of Spades x10

Forget it, you will never know what cover songs work.

I'd puke every time "Man in the Box" was played by every band at the local joint we were at back in the day.

ford
01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
The Middle or Sweetness by JimmyEatWorld

A powerpop song that goes over well is Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne... girls hit the floor on that one...

(I don't play in a cover band, but I've seen cover bands be successful with these songs recently)

FlyingDutchman
01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
The Shinedown recommendation is a great one. The Sound of Madness is an excellent song..

deltaboy
01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Incubus - Pardon Me
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

playsarobin
01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Should be good to go so far... I love all the songs! Sans nickelback though..

triple_vee
01-28-2011, 11:52 PM
i hated every second of playing Rockstar by Nickleback...but the crowd loved it.

deltaboy
01-29-2011, 12:09 AM
heres how teenage dirtbag goes over, covered by DC.
W03iSx0DQLE

deltaboy
01-29-2011, 12:15 AM
if i was in a band with a chick singer, i would (shamelessly) totally try and pull this off, great rhythm stuff going on.
ITXFs8VhHKE

dmb70
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
hkVyCj4TJPA
Iay9gyLNdBw
TIz4bG9ySBw
Mut_jxG1Uhc
FgTtXDHb--E
gV5iQJLpVnM
N8qeWzemYBA
DqX_1kohoUs
Q7aOWIFgIZQ
OLGde-7mIyA
PoDHaYVv23k
2rJnIS5JWHw
4CmlaiZuWwo
crOZk88eCcg

Funky54
01-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Man keep em coming! A lot of these songs are already in my mind to old. I have been doing Steady as She Goes and Seven Nation Army for over 7 years. Been playing Everlong for a long time. Weezer.. love em, but been doing it for a while. Two a night is all you get away with.

But huba huba Mooney Suzuki!!! Cool but does something like that relate to the typicle wedding reception of the 20 something year old couple? Your standard tavern full of a demagrafic of say 21 to 40? I dont wanna get stale. For myself I'll be learning some Mooney and Wolfmother!

Already tapped onto Rival Sons.

I thought I'd see The Gas Light Anthem or OK GO listed.

Cool songs for sure, but what has been tried and true? What is working right now is what I'm asking. Big difference in the three issues that plague us all.
One: Does the song relate to the audiance?
Two: Do you like it enough?
Three: Is it a good fit for your voice and style of the guys you play with?

Lots of songs I love just are not appropreiate for my voice or for the guys I have played with. Lots of songs we can do really well... dont relate to the audiance and Lots of songs "we" or "I" hate, we can do well and the audiance wants it.... The best answer is have more music to choose from:aok

Scott57
01-29-2011, 08:01 AM
dmb70 is the only person who offered at least ten+ songs but if you took only one song from each band offered you still have only seven.

No one with a list of ten modern rock songs?

dmb70
01-29-2011, 08:45 AM
IMO, the hard part when talking about "modern" rock music is that 2003-2006 was probably the last time that new rock music was regularly in the main stream media.
For example, in the early 2000's FUSE, VH1, MTV & MTV 2 still played music & had shows that featured music in their programing on a regular basis. So it was pretty common to see current bands like Rooney, OK GO, The White Stripes, Jet, The Darkness, The Donnas, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Distillers, Maroon 5, mixed in every day with the r&b & pop stuff MTV was also pushing.
Currently I don't see main stream media pushing rock music at all.

Also if the target audience is say 21 to 27 year olds, what do they consider their music, is it even rock? I'm 41 & a music nerd, but the casual music fan my age probably got into their first bands around 1983 ish & kinda stopped paying attention some time in the mid 90's. With that said, when I was in my early 20's bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, Sabbath, KISS ect were totally popular with people my age, even though technically it's the generation before mine's music. So things like Weezer & Foo Fighters are probably looked at in much the same way by current 20 somethings. Is that their classic rock?

For me modern is pretty much any rock music post grunge. My band struggles with this as well, because if you want to play CURRENT rock music it's slim pickings, at least for stuff that is main stream & really well known by everyone. There's all kinds of rock music out there, but it's much more underground than it was even 5 years ago.

Is the average 20 something even interested in rock or is it all country, pop & R&B?

dmb70
01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Hers a few more, a little newer than my other selections.
EUAmgkDqxTk
GrCDdm2yjXY
flkByutsgTg

rcl
01-29-2011, 09:22 AM
We do Use Somebody-KOL, but I am sick of it. I suggested it before it hit radio-and regret it now.

Now I am 45, so take this with a grain of salt, but this is stuff I like...

Halestrom-in love with somebody

Saint Jude-couple of really good tunes-stones feel, check out you tube

Alter Bridge-Before Tomorrow Comes

Three days grace-Pain

Chevelle-Red or send the pain below, both rock

Gretchen Wilson-Work hard, play harder-sure country-but it's a Dropped D rocker

Sick Puppies-Odd One

Answer-Come Follow Me (great band!)

Foo Fighters-song depends on screaming ability, but there are a ton of good ones

Alice in Chains-that last album is amazing

The Gracious Few-All I hear, Honest Man, Guilty Fever, Closer and my favorite Trecedim.

germs
01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Alter Bridge - Isolation

no :nono

that is a TERRIBLE song, played by excellent musicians. unless you can pull off every nuance (and your singer IS Miles), you'll just sound like a crappy band.

the new AIC goes over okay, but i'd really suggest to sticking to upbeat songs. nothing that trudges along...with that in mind:

1. Alive or Even Flow (not both) - Pearl Jam
2. Sound of Madness - Shinedown
3. Breath - Breaking Benjamin
4. Letters to a Thief - Chevelle
5. Falling in the Dark - Hoobastank
6. Pardon Me - Incubus
7. Broken - 12 Stones
8. Lit - Buckcherry
9. Killing in the Name - RATM
10. any Weezer except Hashpipe

and that's not getting into Foo Fighters (which is much more complex than you might think), Nirvana (ehh...), Toadies, Nickelback, Creed, or a hundred other bands i could name.

Atomic Punk
01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I must be getting old. I hate everything new that's come out in the last 10 years except for a lot of the new thrash / speed metal bands. I think I'll stay retired from the cover band scene.

sixstringslut
01-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Wow, I'm 43 and have never heard of half of these songs, or bands for that matter. The listed songs I do recognize is "DUDE" songs. These only tend to start fights and gets gear busted...get the girls dancing first, keep dudes at the bar buying drinks. Maybe have band wives of GF's pic some new songs.
My latest fill-in band picked up a chick singer, that opened up a new world of songs and gigs (our attendance went through the roof as well). Strangely, I have heard most Pink, Lady Gaga, Avril, Donnas and No Dout, and the crowds love it.
The thought of a chick singer may sicken you but is the times ( finding the right one is your problem, lol, we got lucky. Established karaoke singer that knows business, music and family roots, and could embarass any sailor).
Otherwise, stick with the stuff that bores you to tears, but the crowd loves.
Mony Mony = Money Money

deltaboy
01-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I would LOVE to play that powerpop stuff in an electric guitar driven cover band, that would seem more fun to me than playing carbon copy covers of alternative/rock songs.

CAC
01-29-2011, 11:23 AM
My band plays mostly classic stuff even though most of our crowd is 25 to 45. Most people (even young people) dig AC/DC, Zep, Aerosmith, etc, but for newer stuff I have found that the following songs go over well:

Jet - Rollover DJ
Are You Gonna BE My Girl
Get What You Need

Toadies- I Come from the Water
Possum Kingdom

The Cult (I know, not newer but the kids love these)
Wild Flower
Love Removal Machine

Weezer- Buddy Holly
Pork and Beans

Social Distortion - Bad Luck
Ball and Chain

Green Day - Know Your Enemy

Buckcherry - All Lit Up
Next 2 You

Donnas - Take it Off (we have a female in the band who can sing it)
Strutter - Old Kiss tune they cover

One thing I have found out about cover bands is if you rock with conviction and put on a great show you can get by pretty much playing whatever music you want. Probably the most popular cover band for the kids around here is a band that doesn't play anything newer than 80's but they sound great, rock hard, and put on a fantastic show. Plenty of young ladies at their shows shaking it, and when that happens the guys follow.

RedRockRoy
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
if i was in a band with a chick singer, i would (shamelessly) totally try and pull this off, great rhythm stuff going on.
ITXFs8VhHKE

Wow, never heard her before. Really good.

dmb70
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
1. Alive or Even Flow (not both) - Pearl Jam -1991
2. Sound of Madness - Shinedown - 2008
3. Breath - Breaking Benjamin - 2007
4. Letters to a Thief - Chevelle - 2009
5. Crawling in the Dark - Hoobastank -2002
6. Pardon Me - Incubus - 2000
7. Broken - 12 Stones - 2002
8. Lit Up- Buckcherry -1998
9. Killing in the Name - RATM - 1992

Not my criteria, but going by the OP's 2nd post in this thread (#15) 7 of those 10 songs are already to old.

To the OP: To me it would seem there is a distinction between "current" & "modern" rock music, with current being the last year or 2 & modern being anything post grunge.
Most casual bar patrons seem to want to hear the music they grew up with, a few "classics", maybe a sprinkle of new stuff & an oldie or two. So if twenty somethings are the target audience it would seem to me that the rock music they grew up with (as teens) was early 2000's, classics might be mid to late 90's & oldies is anything before the mid 90's.
Then of course there is the problem that rock music hasn't been the main choice of the average teen since probably the early 90's.

I know a small handfull of late teens & 20 something rock fans & their taste are all over the board. My ex is 25 her favorite bands are The Donnnas, AC/DC, KISS, Motley Crue, The White Stripes, The Sword, Jet, The Darkness, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Priestess, The Black Keys, the Helicopters, The Rolling Stones, Alice Cooper, Zeppelin. A friend's son is 21, he's into The Mars Volta, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Miles Davis, KISS, Hendrix. His daughter is 18 & is into The Beatles, Avenged Sevenfold & Nirvana, another 20 something friend is into Paramore, Bowie, The Sounds, The Monney Suzuki, Von Bondies & The Yeah Yeah Yeah's. A girl at work is 23 & all about Modest Mouse.

OP, out of curiosity how old are you?

My band plays mostly classic stuff even though most of our crowd is 25 to 45. Most people (even young people) dig AC/DC, Zep, Aerosmith, etc, but for newer stuff I have found that the following songs go over well:

I tend to agree & great list of songs! Love me some Donnas!

Funky54
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm 39. I look a lot younger than my age, still get carded half the time, so I dont mind playing a younger crowd. The dudes my age are getting fat and uninterested in what is out today. (The fat was a joke, kinda givng the impresion that they just dont care about being cool or looking it..kinda a good thing..kinda not. Theyd rather get lazy and play classic rock or worse just go to blues)

I have always been odd man out, I dig Spacehog, Foo, Weezer, Elo, Cult, Boston, Lizzy, Fountains of Wayne, Badfinger, The Cars, Urge Overkill, White Strips, KOL, any thing rock..I always end up with guys who want to turn it into southern rock and a Stones review. I'm a Beatle not a Stone is what I'm saying.

I hate it when guys get all anxious and ask if you wanna jam, think they want your voice and then start to suggest you sing ACDC.... great, it would sound like Elvis does ACDC..

I did a band project with a female singer added, it was cool. I played stuff I would never have played because of it..a lot of pop I would have stuck my nose up at, but turns out some of that stuff was really cool to do. Shikera, Spears (J.jet tune though) Blondie. It was good for me guitar wise as well. I learned to do stuff I wouldn't have done.

Anyway..more tunes!

Bankston
01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
IMO, the hard part when talking about "modern" rock music is that 2003-2006 was probably the last time that new rock music was regularly in the main stream media.
For example, in the early 2000's FUSE, VH1, MTV & MTV 2 still played music & had shows that featured music in their programing on a regular basis. So it was pretty common to see current bands like Rooney, OK GO, The White Stripes, Jet, The Darkness, The Donnas, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Distillers, Maroon 5, mixed in every day with the r&b & pop stuff MTV was also pushing.
Currently I don't see main stream media pushing rock music at all.

I'd venture to say TV is not where people go looking for new music anymore, unless it's catching a concert on HDNET or Palladia.

Just listen to your local modern rock radio station and pick out 10 sings in heavy rotation that you think you can pull off well.

Having played modern rock covers for the better part of the last decade, these are 10 or so songs that are standards and by that I mean, they are guaranteed to go over and pack the dance floor, in no particular order:

Weezer - Beverly Hills
White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
Tool - Sober
Green Day - Basket Case
The Toadies - Tyler
Sublime - Santeria
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
7 Mary 3 - Cumbersome
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Buckcherry - Crazy Bitch
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Lit - My Own Worst Enemy

And as much as it pains me to admit, Nickelback does go over, especially "Rock Star," "Figured You Out" and "Something in Your Mouth."

A cool fairly recent song that was a crowd pleaser was "Life is Beautiful" by Sixx AM.

Shinedown is one of my favorite current bands. But your singer better be able to pull off those vocals.

Bobby D
01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Weezer - Beverly Hills
White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
Tool - Sober
Green Day - Basket Case
The Toadies - Tyler
Sublime - Santeria
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
7 Mary 3 - Cumbersome
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Buckcherry - Crazy Bitch
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Lit - My Own Worst Enemy

my current band does most of those, but we do "Possum Kingdom" by the Toadies.

"Sober" surprises me.....we have a great lead singer.....but we do it last song, end of nite.....

i am getting the guys to add more modern rock/country stuff.....that goes over well, when the heavy modern rock don't cut it.

also, we are taking "dancefloor classics" by Kool & The Gang, EWF, 70s funk stuff......and re-making them in a modern rock sound, that works well too....

jrjones
01-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Blackbird-alter bridge
Crazy bitch-buckcherry
Animals-nickelback

jrjones
01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Smooth criminal-alien ant farm

Dr. Tweedbucket
01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
i hated every second of playing Rockstar by Nickleback...but the crowd loved it.

I would quit playing and find another hobby before stooping that low... :messedup

Funky54
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Just listen to your local modern rock radio station and pick out 10 sings in heavy rotation that you think you can pull off well.

What is this "modern rock station" you speak off? Dude in Orlando You can choose Blues..Or Blues or maybe some Hip hop digital stuff. The only rock stations around here is hereing phil collins sing the theme to Miami Vice or some real loud screamming stuff about satan.. there is no Rock. One or two stations might say they are modern rock but all I hear is Nicklback and Blackhole Sun for the like 1 millionth time.

You aren't gonna hear Black Keys or Rival Suns around here. You can't even hear OKGO or Weezer much around here. Its too soft for the Occult stations and to hard and new for the classic rock stations.

59Vampire
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
no nickelbaCK

jrjones
01-29-2011, 09:24 PM
In the air tonight - nonpoint (I know it's a Collins song, but nonpoint rocks it)

TwistedNut
04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
These ten have consistently gotten a good reaction from the audience, either people dancing or singing along:

all small things - blink-182
basket case - green day
enter sandman - metallica
inside out - eve 6
man in the box - aic
my own worst enemy - lit
paralyzer - finger 11
the middle - jimmy eat world
vasoline - stp
what's my age again? - blink-182

We've had good luck with these too:

beautiful day - u2
beverly hills - weezer
control - puddle of mudd
dammit - blink
dirty little secret - all american rejects
everlong - foo fighters
i don't care - fallout boy
flagpole sitta - harvey danger
keep away - godsmack
laid - james
monkey wrench - foo fighters
plush - stp
promise - eve 6
she - green day
sittin in a bar - rehab
slide - goo goo dolls

We haven't done it yet, but I've seen Crazy Bitch go over huge. Some new stuff we have that we haven't done yet or often but expect to go over well:

cold hard bitch - jet
sex type thing - stp
first date and dammit - blink

We plan to add more Fallout Boy and the new Foo song, Rope. Here's our full list. We went from acoustic oriented initially to modern rock/pop:

http://www.twisted-nut.com/songs.htm

Gnarlly
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Damn, my rock cover band plays a lot of the modern songs mentioned in this thead (a long with a healthy mix of hard classic rock and punk: ex. AC/DC, The Cult, Billy Idol, Def Leppard, The Ramones, The Clash, etc.). I guess we're on the right track :)

smallbutmighty
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Jet - Rollover DJ
Are You Gonna BE My Girl
Get What You Need

Toadies- I Come from the Water
Possum Kingdom

The Cult (I know, not newer but the kids love these)
Wild Flower
Love Removal Machine

Weezer- Buddy Holly
Pork and Beans

Social Distortion - Bad Luck
Ball and Chain

Green Day - Know Your Enemy

Buckcherry - All Lit Up
Next 2 You

Donnas - Take it Off (we have a female in the band who can sing it)
Strutter - Old Kiss tune they cover

One thing I have found out about cover bands is if you rock with conviction and put on a great show you can get by pretty much playing whatever music you want. Probably the most popular cover band for the kids around here is a band that doesn't play anything newer than 80's but they sound great, rock hard, and put on a fantastic show. Plenty of young ladies at their shows shaking it, and when that happens the guys follow.

I was just looking at this list and thinking "WOW... those are exactly the tunes I'm working on right now!!"

That's when I realized the poster is the other guitarist in the band I just joined.

Makes sense, I guess...:bonk

mattball826
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
control- puddle of mudd
she hates me- puddle of mudd
blurry- puddle of mudd
alive -pod
aeriels- sys of a down
bring it down- korn
break stuff- limp bizkit
in the end- link park
basket case- green day
amer idiot- "
my own worst enemy- lit
far behind- candlebox
when i'm gone- 3 doors down
rape me- nirvana
smells like teen spirit- nirvana
annas song- silverchair
miss you love- silverchair
buck cherry - lit up
buck cherry- crazy bitch
creed- torn
reason- hoobastank
crawling in the dark- hoobastank
the middle- jimmy eat world
last resort- papa roach
sad but true- metallica
enter sandman- metallica
cumbersome- 7 mary three
alive- pearl jam
last kiss- pearl jam
3am- matchbox20
back to good- matchbox20
smooth- matchbox20/santana
sober- tool
stinkfist- tool
bad religion- godsmack
send the pain below- chevelle
the red- chevelle
so cold- breaking benjamin
breath- breaking benjamin
pardon me- incubus
bad day- fuel
hemmorrhage- fuel
shimmer- fuel
every little thing- ra
wonderful- everclear
this is war- 30 sec to mars
would- alice in chains
rooster- alic in chains
man in a box- alice in chains
headstrong- trapt
cold- crossfade
open wounds- skillet
pain- three days grace
just like you- three days grace
still waiting- sum41
fat lip- sum41
tears dont fall- bullet for my valentine
killing in the name of- ratm
californication- rhcp
cant stop- rhcp
small things- blink 182
first date- blink 182
dance - fall out boy
i dont care- fall out boy
why i'm here- oleander
lighting crashes- live
i alone- live
sex and candy- marcy playground
breakdown- tantric
mourning- tantric
long way down- goo goo dolls
iris- goo goo dolls
slide- goo goo dolls
name- goo goo dolls
today- smashing pumpkins
click click boom- saliva
down with sickness- disturbed
cold hard bitch- jet
are you gonna be my girl- jet

about 50-60 others we do, i just cant remem them all

add a few nickleback ones too lol

Big Boss Man
04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Foo Fighters - Rope
Sixx AM - Lies of the Beautiful People
Cavo - Champagne
Godsmack - Cryin' Like A Bitch
My Darkest Days - Pornstar Dancing
Linkin Park - New Divide

HugalosPizza
04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Just one suggestion because I never hear anybody play it. Screaming Trees 'Nearly Lost you'

TwistedNut
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Here are some song we thought would go over, but really haven't:

Green Day - Holiday (some people like it, too political maybe?)
Green Day - Hitchin' a Ride (good bar song, just not that well known, I guess)
Goo Goo Dolls - Naked (just slightly too obscure, I guess)
The Anthem - Good Charlotte

Another must do: Blur - Song 2. Sometimes Shimmer by Fuel gets a good reaction. Crackerman by STP is not as big as say Plush or Sex Type Thing, but when our singer busts out the megaphone, people love it. Another vote for Alive by Pearl Jam - it's always been a great closer for us. Tonight we're going to open our second set with Machinehead by Bush - first time playing that one out.

rog951
04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Here's our cobbled-up setlist of mostly '90s stuff, with a few more modern and a few classic rockers thown in. I think most have been mentioned but maybe there are a few in there:

The Bends - Radiohead
Vasoline - Stone Temple Pilots
Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
Machinehead - Bush
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
Surrender - Cheap Trick
What's the Frequency, Kenneth? - R.E.M.
Love Song - 311
Corduroy - Pearl Jam
Word Up - Gun
Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
I Alone - Live
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Man In The Box - Alice in Chains

Open Up Your Eyes - Tonic
Meant To Live - Switchfoot
Everlong - Foo Fighters
I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick
Alive - Pearl Jam
Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) - AC/DC
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Santa Monica - Everclear
Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
Starlight - Muse
Yellow - Coldplay
Would - Alice in Chains
Boys of Summer - The Ataris
Desire - U2

Detroit Rock City - Kiss
Heavy - Collective Soul
In Bloom - Nirvana
Creep - Radiohead
Inside Out - Eve 6
Comedown - Bush
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe
867-5309 (Jenny) - Tommy Tutone
Tripping On A Hole - Stone Temple Pilots
Possum Kingdom - Toadies
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Hash Pipe - Weezer
Graduate - Third Eye Blind
Slither - Velvet Revolver

:huh

cmatthes
04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Lots of the stuff off of our setlist(s) are in TwistedNut and rog951's posts. Most of those go over well with the people in the places we play - ages 21-mid-50s, depending on the bar/club/event.

A few I didn't see yet:

"I Predict A Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs
"Island In The Sun" - Weezer
"A Praise Chorus" - Jimmy Eat World
"Long Road To Ruin" - Foo Fighters (also added "Rope" last week!)
"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
"Badfish" - Sublime (we do a few Sublime tunes - maybe they're older than what you're looking for, but that stuff goes over well)

We seem to also get a lot of requests for Muse stuff, so will probably toss something in there.

We also do some Killers and have even done a couple Scissor Sisters tunes before.

TwistedNut
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Tonight we're going to open our second set with Machinehead by Bush - first time playing that one out.

It went over huge, especially with our bass player playing up on the bar. :band

Greiginoz
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Well across the pond here in England my band 'Faces For Radio' pretty much cover the Power Pop/Rock thing. A lot of the songs suggested we do also. Here is our inventory.

Set List

1.*Sugar Were Goin Down* *
2. By The Way
3. Vertigo*
4. Sweet Emotion *
5. Massive Nights*
6. The 59 Sound **
7.*Steady As She Goes *
8.*Beating Heart Baby*
9. Sex On Fire **
10. Everlong * ***
11. Hash Pipe
12. Summertime Blues*
13.*Back In The USSR*
14.*The Weight
15. New Shoes * * * * *** *
16.*Paranoid
17. Hate To Say I Told You So **
18. Fake Tales Of San Fransisco
19.*I Found Out * **
20. Use Somebody*****
21. The Middle * **
22. Brown Sugar*
23. Four Kicks * *
24. All The Small Things
25. Ace Of Spades
26. Basket Case*
27. Are You Gonna Be My Girl?
28. Surfin Safari
29. Chelsea Dagger
30.*In Bloom
31. American Idiot
32. A - Punk*
33. The Rock Show
34. Sweet Disposition
35. The Captain
36. Times Like These
37. Best Of You
38. Kids In America

We've got 10 gigs booked so far for the rest of the year we like to do about 15 as this keeps us on a good ratio with our girls, if we did anymore we'd probably have divorces!!!

TwistedNut
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
We've got 10 gigs booked so far for the rest of the year we like to do about 15 as this keeps us on a good ratio with our girls, if we did anymore we'd probably have divorces!!!

Similar boat. We get about 2 shows a month. Sometimes 3. Sometime 1...

Ampegasaur
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Not playing with anyone right now, would like to learn some new stuff. Whats relavent today for ROCK? What is recognizable and expected? I'm outta the loop. I know some Weezer and Foo Fighters. What else? Kings of Leon?

Covers? No thanks..

Funky54
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Covers? No thanks..
By the title of this thread it should be obvious that I'm asking for positive ideas of what songs go over well that are established. I respect your decision to play only originals.

There are a billion threads for all who want to feel superior about writing songs nobody will ever care about, thats not what this thread is though. Your opinion of what songs everyone is familiar with, that go over big, are wanted. An opinion to not enjoy established current rock, is your choice, and not needed here in this thread.
:horse

Please feel free to recommend songs that many, or at least most, are familiar with that you know people enjoy. It makes me happy to not only play songs, but to see an audiance appreciate hearing them played. Thats a win win for us. Musicians and audiance.

Ros
04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
The Toadies and RATM always go over, even with younger crowds, especially "Tyler" and "Killing in the Name" (last set type of song, though)

"Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry is still going over pretty well.

+1 We did "Killing in the Name" last weekend and it crushed. We even had a girl run out of the bathroom screaming "I LOVE THIS SONG!!!" One of the requests we got was Crazy Bitch, too.

Strangely enough the song that went over SECOND best for us was "Simple Man." Pretty diverse crowd!

-R.

madstrat
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
we play a lot of these songs, but interstate love song seems to go over best...

also down by stp

ezyrydr
04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Wow, it's no wonder I hate going to see cover bands these days, there have been some terrible suggestions here.

rog951
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Wow, it's no wonder I hate going to see cover bands these days, there have been some terrible suggestions here.

Your post is a waste. It contributes nothing but negativity. If you want to be constructive, make some suggestions of your own or at least let us know which songs you don't like.

lettucecheese
04-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Actually, from this thread, I've found a couple of decent bands that I hadn't heard of previously. Always looking for good new music.

fast ricky love
04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Man, if I walked into a bar and heard 95% of these songs I'd walk straight out

hcole
04-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Well, what are 10 songs you'd like to hear?

RockManDan
04-20-2011, 10:06 AM
this is hilarious. i love how every discussion of cover music immediately descends into a philosophical pissing contest over covers vs originals.

its more divisive than religion or politics.

anathema
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
This page alone brings the lulz...

covers? no thanks
I'd walk out, I'm too good for these covers

Man, some people.

I dislike only the nickelback suggestions so far. The 38 song setlist above would be really fun to play.

TwistedNut
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
This page alone brings the lulz...

covers? no thanks
I'd walk out, I'm too good for these covers

Man, some people.

Yeah, no kidding. I have the most fun at a show when playing songs that people actually react to, either by singing along or dancing to it. I might not like all the songs we do, but it's not about me. Those that harsh on cover bands probably never have even experienced that. Our drummer has been in several projects for years doing mostly originals, and he's having a blast with this.

Ampegasaur
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
If you want to go ahead. The music I play there rarely are ever covers. I just could not do covers for a project. Death Metal bands rarely do covers. Not my thing.

CowTipton
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't walk out because of covers. I love covers from any time period if they're done well. My beef is with the word "relevant." God, I hate that word.

French Fry
04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Got some good ideas in this thread! Thanks!

Nevermind the "I'm way too awesome crowd".

I'll add a few I didn't see:
POD - Boom
Dirtyheads - Lay me down
Beasties - Sabotage
Kid Rock - Cowboy / Bahwitdaba
Limp Bizkit - Nookie / Break Stuff

rog951
04-20-2011, 12:02 PM

I checked out your band webpage (I think...the link in your sig?) and I guess I don't understand your beef. Most of what you guys play is older/classic, I can see that, but it looks like you also play Interstate Love Song by STP (just like every other cover band in the universe - including mine). Which songs suggested in this thread would make you leave? Since you said 95% would, maybe it'd be easier for you to list the ones that would not? We know about the STP tune, anything else?

I guess my point is if you're going to take the time to come in here and bash, at least explain yourself. That way the rest of us know what songs to remove from our setlists! :D

fast ricky love
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Hey one man's opinion... we play deep track covers, stuff that most people don't know. The 95% of the stuff I don't like on this thread are all the overplayed tired songs & modern horrible stuff. We pepper in some STP and such just for the folks who have to hear something they know. But we're not a typical band, we play stuff that makes us happy and fortunately we have enough of a draw that we can get away with it.

rog951
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey one man's opinion... we play deep track covers, stuff that most people don't know. The 95% of the stuff I don't like on this thread are all the overplayed tired songs & modern horrible stuff. We pepper in some STP and such just for the folks who have to hear something they know. But we're not a typical band, we play stuff that makes us happy and fortunately we have enough of a draw that we can get away with it.

Man, I've started about five new projects over the years with the intention of doing mostly "deep tracks". If you're pulling it off successfully I applaud you guys 100%. Every time I've tried it, it ultimately got derailed. Who wouldn't want to be playing stuff that hasn't been run into the ground? Impressive to see "I Looked Away" in the setlist and "Layla" nowhere to be found. :aok

I'd still like to get some specific examples of tunes you think are modern and horrible though. For example, I used to sorta feel that way about "Yellow" by Coldplay but once I sat down and learned it, and saw how well it goes over, it's really a blast to play!

fast ricky love
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I guess some Weezer, some Black Keys, maybe a Muse track, but hey, that's one man's opinion again, I don't care for what being put out nowadays... and I really hate that makes me sound like a grumpy geezer, but there just isn't anything that good today. One man's opinion once again!!

TwistedNut
04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey FRL - more power to ya! And yeah, if you've found success doing deeper tracks, that's awesome. But I've learned to really like some of the stuff we play simply due to the fact that the crowd goes nuts for songs like "My Own Worst enemy" despite the fact that every cover band plays it. But it still gets me excited too...

And I know where you're coming from in a sense about not doing the standard party rock songs. We've tried to define ourselves as "modern" and refuse to play songs like "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Livin' on a Prayer". The reality is that even 80's stuff is now firmly in the classic rock era.

We're not exactly young either, (late 30's, early 40's) and really became shocked with the realization that "classic" rock is now pre-1995. If you want to appeal to the typical bar crowd now, 21-30 and 40+ (pre- and post-raising small children) you gotta get with some of the modern stuff too, which isn't all bad....

But, we're not a band that takes ourselves TOO seriously so YMMV. Latest example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_4L4AMmut0

LOL

eisrael37
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
the black keys have been getting very popular lately.

A-Bone
04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
We're not exactly young either, (late 30's, early 40's) and really became shocked with the realization that "classic" rock is now pre-1995.

No kidding. I still contend that "classic rock" should be a fixed era, rather than a moving target, but what are you gonna do?

EricPeterson
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
No kidding. I still contend that "classic rock" should be a fixed era, rather than a moving target, but what are you gonna do?

I am 26 and I close the door on classic rock at 1979.

A-Bone
04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I am 26 and I close the door on classic rock at 1979.

Agreed.

madstrat
04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
live at leeds

kev324
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
We just started working up Hysteria by Muse. Not sure how it'll work but its a badass tune. Also adding some KOL, Foo. I love playing stuff off the first Weezer album, some cool composition there. I love the Foo Fighters but I almost refuse to do Everlong because it's such a good song and I've heard so many crappy bands do it. Thinking about trying Monkey Wrench instead. I've always wanted to do RATM Killing and it kills about everytime. I love the unison groove the guitar and bass have.

I do have an almost no Nickelback rule but I wont like it. For some strange reason I use to do Rockstar acoustically but I wouldn't consider doing it again.

TwistedNut
04-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I love the Foo Fighters but I almost refuse to do Everlong because it's such a good song and I've heard so many crappy bands do it. Thinking about trying Monkey Wrench instead.

We do both. And Everlong is tough to get right. We still flub it from time to time. Monkeywrench is usually a hit. Not a real interactive crowd at this venue, but here's our version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QlRKiKyAc

madscientist
04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
killing in the name of...RATM (if that's even modern)
Rise Today...Alter Bridge
Crazy Bitch...Buckcherry

59Vampire
04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Hey FRL - more power to ya! And yeah, if you've found success doing deeper tracks, that's awesome. But I've learned to really like some of the stuff we play simply due to the fact that the crowd goes nuts for songs like "My Own Worst enemy" despite the fact that every cover band plays it. But it still gets me excited too...

And I know where you're coming from in a sense about not doing the standard party rock songs. We've tried to define ourselves as "modern" and refuse to play songs like "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Livin' on a Prayer". The reality is that even 80's stuff is now firmly in the classic rock era.

We're not exactly young either, (late 30's, early 40's) and really became shocked with the realization that "classic" rock is now pre-1995. If you want to appeal to the typical bar crowd now, 21-30 and 40+ (pre- and post-raising small children) you gotta get with some of the modern stuff too, which isn't all bad....

But, we're not a band that takes ourselves TOO seriously so YMMV. Latest example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_4L4AMmut0

LOL

nice job on Man in the Box!

nosidamde
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
no :nono

that is a TERRIBLE song, played by excellent musicians. unless you can pull off every nuance (and your singer IS Miles), you'll just sound like a crappy band.

the new AIC goes over okay, but i'd really suggest to sticking to upbeat songs. nothing that trudges along...with that in mind:

1. Alive or Even Flow (not both) - Pearl Jam
2. Sound of Madness - Shinedown
3. Breath - Breaking Benjamin
4. Letters to a Thief - Chevelle
5. Falling in the Dark - Hoobastank
6. Pardon Me - Incubus
7. Broken - 12 Stones
8. Lit - Buckcherry
9. Killing in the Name - RATM

and that's not getting into Foo Fighters (which is much more complex than you might think), Nirvana (ehh...), Toadies, Nickelback, Creed, or a hundred other bands i could name.

I've never seen anyone cover 12 Stones, but that would make my night if they played 'Broken'... and the right way.

Here are 10 from the last band that I was in that were played every night.

Foo Fighters - Everlong
Framing Hanley - Lollipop
Papa Roach - Lifeline
Revis - Caught in the Rain
Seether - Careless Whisper
Shinedown - Sound of Madness
10 Years - Wasteland
Three Days Grace - Just Like You
Sick Puppies - All the Same
Chevelle - Send the Pain Below

There are many more, but these were the first ones that came to mind.

captain_bob
09-21-2011, 07:27 PM
If a song is 20 years old; is it still considered modern?
I see plenty of songs being recommended that are 15-20 years old and even older.

drumchops
08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
hey guys, new member. we're a 4 piece with male vox.
here's our current setlist:

set 1
*santeria - sublime
tighten up - the black keys
*harder to breathe - maroon 5
*summer of '69 - bryan adams
if you're wondering - weezer
*stereo hearts - gym class heros
*give it away - rhcp
*animal - neon trees
*mr brightside - the killers
loverboy - you and me at 6
*uprising - muse

set 2
holiday - green day
fortunate son - ccr
lonely boy - the black keys
everybody talks - neon trees
(medley - same timing same basic beat)
**billie jean - mj
**dance dance - fall out boy
**american girl - tom petty and the heartbreakers
(end medley)
jenny 8675309 - tommy tutone
blister in the son - violent femmes
*road house blues - the doors
*crazy bitch - buckcherry
*pour some sugar - def leapord
*my body - young and the giant

set 3
*sex type thing - stp
*rock and roll - zep
little black backpack - stroke 9
i believe in a thing called love - darkness
rock and roll all night - kiss
*animal i have become - three days grace
crazy train - ozzy
*pain - jimmy eat world
faint - linkin park
she hates me - puddle of mudd
girls girls girls - motley crue
porn star dancing - my darkest days
*hand that feeds - nin
*bulls on parade - ratm
killing in the name of - ratm
yellow ledbetter - pearl jam

asterisks by the things that went over very well. as much as i hate it, crazy bitch went over very well.

depending on where you play and who you're playing to, as someone else said, you need to cater to your audience. our set list is all over the place because we believe that if each person likes 1/4 to 1/3 of our songs then they'll stick around to hear the whole set.

if we had female vox (and we did for a while) we'd do lady gaga, paramore, adelle, no doubt, etc. female vox gives you so much more diversity but also so much more drama. anyways..

if i had my way i'd play rise against all day every day but not everyone feels the same as i do.
good luck!