PDA

View Full Version : Microwave ovens banned in Russia in 1976-do you use one?

ski_fast
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I just discovered some pretty scary facts about microwave ovens this weekend. One, that they were banned in Russia in 1976. If you water a plant with water that has been microwaved it will die. Read this and hopefully you all will stop using these. That said, who will keep using them and why?

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers.html

EricPeterson
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't take Russia banning something as proof of anything. I read the article you posted, lots of conjecture and specualtion and little in the way of real evidence. A few footnotes would have been nice. I will agree with the section on motherly instincts in so far as microwaved food tends to suck.

nsureit
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/nsureit/normal_paranoia.jpg

tonedaddy
02-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I'll rely on this from the National Institutes of Health:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7047080

"Abstract
Microwave cooking has gained considerable importance as an energy-saving, convenient, and time-saving cooking method. This article reviews the state of the art of microwave cooking and the existing publishing data on the effects of microwave cooking on nutritive values of moisture, protein, carbohydrate, lipid, minerals, and vitamins. Most reports indicated that microwave cooking resulted in higher moisture losses compared with conventional methods. Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal."

more than this from the globalhealingcenter.com article:

"10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence."

acguitar84
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
usually when "experts" blog about anything, especially on the net, i take it all with a grain of salt.

EricPeterson
02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I'll rely on this from the National Institutes of Health:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7047080

"Abstract
Microwave cooking has gained considerable importance as an energy-saving, convenient, and time-saving cooking method. This article reviews the state of the art of microwave cooking and the existing publishing data on the effects of microwave cooking on nutritive values of moisture, protein, carbohydrate, lipid, minerals, and vitamins. Most reports indicated that microwave cooking resulted in higher moisture losses compared with conventional methods. Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal."

more than this from the globalhealingcenter.com article:

"10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence."

Tonedaddy to the rescue again. As usual, great post with great sources.

drgonzoguitar
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Microwaves are not banned in Russa (or former Soviet Republic). Microwaved water will not kill plants.

Source(s):
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4080
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

EricPeterson
02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Microwaves are not banned in Russa (or former Soviet Republic). Microwaved water will not kill plants.

Source(s):
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4080

why the hell would you microwave water before you water your plants anyway. :dunno

Z_Zoquis
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I just discovered some pretty scary facts about microwave ovens this weekend. One, that they were banned in Russia in 1976. If you water a plant with water that has been microwaved it will die. Read this and hopefully you all will stop using these. That said, who will keep using them and why?

:bonk:rotflmao:banana:nuts

KissTone
02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Yea, Russia. They have doctors who prescribe eating a chunk of charcoal as a treatment for chest pain. No lie.

(But not to start anything, they also have made some impressive medical strides as well through the years---just not always in step with our medical industry.)

lakehaus
02-05-2011, 07:45 PM
My first thought was "1976... I'm sure the technology has dramatically improved since then."

I went to the family home of a sponsor when I visited Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in '95. I don't recall seeing a microwave. But that was just one home.

drgonzoguitar
02-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Microwaves are not illegal in Russia....they are just not popular. Shop for yourself!

http://price.ru/offers?auto=1&cat=7106-110601

cmatthes
02-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Is this the same guy who forwards all of those BS chain emails and urban legends?

Please check facts before posting!

:D

AbstractLunatic
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Scientific discussion without science is hilarious.
:munch

SteveO
02-05-2011, 09:36 PM
True or not, I don't own a Russian microwave-I think I'm safe.

Cobb
02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Does heating food in a microwave destroy some nutrients? Yes

Does heating food in any fashion destroy some nutrients? Yes

Does heating food in a microwave destroy more nutrients than other "conventional" methods? Possibly, but the difference is minimal.

Can microwaving food in certain plastic containers be harmful to your health? Yes

The big thing with microwaves is to use microwave safe containers. Also, consider the quality of food your are microwaving. I don't care how you cook it frozen dinners are not your best bet nutritionally speaking.

I did hear that NASA investigated using microwaves for food in their early space missions in the 50s and 60s, but discovered this form of cooking caused too much nutrient loss. However, I was unable to ever find anything to support this claim.

MjCartney
02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
why the hell would you microwave water before you water your plants anyway. :dunno

I actually microwave my plants before I water them. The benefits of this are that they glow, and I no longer need incandescent lights in rooms with plants.

I haven't tried this with any Russian plants though...

RichieD
02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
I just discovered some pretty scary facts about microwave ovens this weekend. One, that they were banned in Russia in 1976.

And this "ban" was lifted a short time later. There are currently no countries which ban the use of microwave ovens.

And Global Healing Center was your source?
:facepalm

usually when "experts" blog about anything, especially on the net, i take it all with a grain of salt.

Of course you should. They are trying to sell you something. This is certainly the case here.

DGTCrazy
02-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Some Russian Women are hot! Especially those born on or after 1978....LOL

shane88
02-05-2011, 10:28 PM
this thread is a funny read - next we'll hear things like cell phones, nuclear power plants, rusting ballistic missile subs (in russia), wind generators, car exhaust, smoking, walking on ice, jogging and drinking tap water is unsafe

actually i worry about watering plants with tap water ...

2leod
02-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Microwaves - bad
...Cellphones - super bad news

Microphones - pure agents of terrible stuff. That's why singers are so whacked out.

I'm happy to connect the dots for you. Spread the word.

rhinocaster
02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Note to self - In the future read ALL the posts in a thread before you throw away appliances.

Dammit, now I have to go get my microwave out of the trash.

Buddy Boy
02-05-2011, 11:12 PM
:rotflmaoNote to self - In the future read ALL the posts in a thread before you throw away appliances.

Dammit, now I have to go get my microwave out of the trash.

Shiny_Beast
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm not too worried, but I hate reading stuff like this...

"Billions of people have been eating microwaved food for decades, with no ill effects, and no plausible expectation of ill effects."

like, how the **** does he know? There is a health crisis on this continent right now, so the evidence clearly contradicts this broad statement if you really want to get down to it. A thoughtless last minute editorial on an otherwise reasonable web page.

jcmark611
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
While we are on microwave myths, what about putting a live cat in a microwave, I've always heard the cat will explode... or maybe just it's eyeballs.

_jt_
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM

When any article mentions "Washington City [sic] politics" you can be sure that almost anything they say is hogwash.

There is a whole section about what happens to people when they are exposed to microwaves. That has absolutely nothing to do with microwave ovens unless you are 1. cooking live humans and 2. concerned about their comfort.

gldtp99
02-06-2011, 02:47 AM

I'll keep using them and one day i'll die----- i don't think using/not using a microwave oven will have any effect on my lifespan or quality of life.
The sky is not falling--- even if Chicken Little says it is--:bonk:bonk:bonk......................gldtp99

ACfixer
02-06-2011, 03:13 AM
I just discovered some pretty scary facts about microwave ovens this weekend...

Using the term a bit loosely there cowboy.

Z_Zoquis
02-06-2011, 05:38 AM
There is a health crisis on this continent right now...

there is? Last time I checked, people in North America are pretty much living longer than ever in history...

Polynitro
02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Im pretty sure if you water your plants with boiling hot water they might die regardless.

I dated a girl whos parents had one of the first micros on the market from the 1970s. That thing was scary.

wareagle
02-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I dont own a microwave havent used one for years.

bluesjuke
02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Microwaves - bad
...Cellphones - super bad news

Microphones - pure agents of terrible stuff. That's why singers are so whacked out.

I'm happy to connect the dots for you. Spread the word.

What comes out of a microphone is only as bad as what goes into one.

LHanson
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Thinking back- we got our first microwave back in '76. We tried to cook anything in that RadarRange. The funniest part was in the instructions where it said not to try to pop corn in it. AFAIK, that's about all a microwave is good for.

French Fry
02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
No microwave for me ... not a fan. Havent used one at home for more than ten years. Don't miss it, except maybe for once or twice a year, when it would be more convenient.

Not paranoid about it though ... I'm sure I eat plenty of microwaved food whenever I go out to eat.

LZ_69
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm just going to take a guess and say a Soviet built microwaves from 30-40 years ago were probably not the finest pieces of engineering and probably needed to be banned...

MudPies
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
This thread reminds me of something I overheard at a restaurant last night...

"Is that true?"

"I think so, I read it in a blog."

Truxton Spangler
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Haha. Whenever i mention some obscure fact noone believes (which is usually true)
they usually ask me "Where did you hear this?"

I always reply: "No it's true, I read it on the internet."

It's pretty funny :)

Best regards -T

rob2001
02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Always interesting when the word banned is used in a thread!

The_Whale
02-06-2011, 05:33 PM
In Russia, microwave bans YOU.

seriously, communist dictatorships have a long history of strong consumer protection laws.
:rotflmao

Amp360
02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
My grandmother had a microwave that would keep running when you opened it.

It was a GE. My grandfather worked there for 50 years and would buy everything from them.

I remember telling my grandmother she should never, ever do that. She didn't see what the big deal was as she had been doing it since they got it - this was an old, old microwave.

Zilmo
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
It's a plot by the lizard shape shifters and Stanley Kubrick.

Dr Git
02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
If you stop using your microwave, then also toss your cell phone in the lake...we all will die eventually

Mike9
02-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Got one, use it - and if you are worried about it a good test is to put your cell phone in your microwave then call it from another phone. If it rings your microwave leaks - if it doesn't then you're good to go.

Jetrow
02-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Darth Tater
02-06-2011, 07:57 PM
This is how much Russia understands radioactivity:

http://www.ourtimelines.com/hist/chernobyl.jpg

Jetrow
02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
This is how much Russia understands radioactivity:

http://www.ourtimelines.com/hist/chernobyl.jpg

No wait, there is more! Now they are offering tours. That's right, you can go and visit a nuclear melt down/ mass grave site. But not to worry, those guys say it's not dangerous so feel free to enjoy the unbelievable sadness of this site on your holiday.

Personally I would be making sure I had all the sperm I will ever need frozen and secure in a cryogenic vault before I went on a tour of this joint. :bonk

_jt_
02-07-2011, 02:01 AM
No wait, there is more! Now they are offering tours. That's right, you can go and visit a nuclear melt down/ mass grave site. But not to worry, those guys say it's not dangerous so feel free to enjoy the unbelievable sadness of this site on your holiday.

Personally I would be making sure I had all the sperm I will ever need frozen and secure in a cryogenic vault before I went on a tour of this joint. :bonk

Wow! Has it really been 3000 years? Time flies...

Dr. Tweedbucket
02-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Just to torture them .... I mean some people are flat out cruel! :mmm