PDA

View Full Version : Dumble Ultra Phonix mod

Pages : [1] 2

TimH
02-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey all,

This mod was mentioned in another post last week. I'm just curious to know what info is out there about this mod. Anyone have info as to what it is and how it sounds?

Billion81
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
send a PM to Voodoosound. Rob knows that amp mod and has even had one or two.

pinner
02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Not sure the details but it sounds sick. One of the best if not the best I have ever heard/played through.

Steve Snider
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I had a bandmaster or bassman with that mod and it sounded good to me. Wasn't like it blew me away just sounded like a really great old fender with a bit more grind on tap.

It did have lots of neat anti pirate stuff inside. Handwritten little plaque embedded in some blue goop.

voodoosound
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Theres a difference between the "mod" and the ground up builds but either have been far superior to anything I have owned.. I own 4 (a bandmaster, Showman, Marshall trem and a JMP) of the ground up builds which is why I sold every other "dumble" clone I had including Bludo, Glaswerks, Two Rock, Brownnote. They sound like nothing else. When you push them into overdrive they still retain a great singing thick but defined tone. NO clone I have had (and I have had more than most) has done that.

But thats just my experience.

StratStringSlinger
02-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Is it a standard mod or little different for each one? Reason I ask is b/c when I hear the mod described by different owners or players they mention different things. I.e. Does the normal/bass channel become an overdrive channel?

voodoosound
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Is it a standard mod or little different for each one? Reason I ask is b/c when I hear the mod described by different owners or players they mention different things. I.e. Does the normal/bass channel become an overdrive channel?

It depends on the amp. As far as fenders the clean channel is pretty much the same sound (big smooth and Ultra responsive) at least from the examples I have and own. On the Bandmaster the vibrato channel has the gain voicing which allows it to overdrive a little quicker and more wild than the normal. But the normal will still overdrive as well. The showman pretty much the same. While the marshalls are el34 they sound and respond like 6l6s until you push them and then they get real wild overdrive with the same characteristics as the 6l6 amps but just more. It is really impossible to dial in an unpleasing sound on any of the amps.

Steve Snider
02-06-2011, 04:51 PM
When I refer to mod, I am referring to in a fender chassis as he still used the trannies I believe. The one I had was recently in Mayers Rig. Good amp.

TimH
02-06-2011, 04:54 PM
so this simply refers to an amp that dumble used the parts from (chassis, perhaps trannys etc) to build one of his amps in/from similar to how Fuchs was doing this?

voodoosound
02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
When I refer to mod, I am referring to in a fender chassis as he still used the trannies I believe. The one I had was recently in Mayers Rig. Good amp.

Yes. Steve yours was most likely a ground up build as well. Even the ones he did at truetone while they were called mods were actually kind of like what Andy Fuchs does. Gutting the amp and rebuilding it. Sometimes using the same trannies sometimes not. I had a Bassman that had twin iron in it that was done at trutone. Double board huge solder pools the works. Alexs work is easy to spot and easy to tell the difference from other peoples work.

voodoosound
02-06-2011, 04:59 PM
so this simply refers to an amp that dumble used the parts from (chassis, perhaps trannys etc) to build one of his amps in/from similar to how Fuchs was doing this?

The term "mod" yes. Ultraphonix is a particular vocing and gain that he does to specific amps which post dates all of his ODS circuits. I prefer these amps over my original ODS as well.

Steve Snider
02-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes. Steve yours was most likely a ground up build as well. Even the ones he did at truetone while they were called mods were actually kind of like what Andy Fuchs does. Gutting the amp and rebuilding it. Sometimes using the same trannies sometimes not. I had a Bassman that had twin iron in it that was done at trutone. Double board huge solder pools the works. Alexs work is easy to spot and easy to tell the difference from other peoples work.

Good stuff no doubt.

StratStringSlinger
02-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Rob, thanks for jumping in here with the info; Good stuff!

trap
02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
It depends on the amp. As far as fenders the clean channel is pretty much the same sound (big smooth and Ultra responsive) at least from the examples I have and own. On the Bandmaster the vibrato channel has the gain voicing which allows it to overdrive a little quicker and more wild than the normal. But the normal will still overdrive as well. The showman pretty much the same. While the marshalls are el34 they sound and respond like 6l6s until you push them and then they get real wild overdrive with the same characteristics as the 6l6 amps but just more. It is really impossible to dial in an unpleasing sound on any of the amps.

How many watts was the bandmaster??

voodoosound
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
How many watts was the bandmaster??

40-46 whatever a bandmaster is rated at. It sounds like a 100 watt though how Alex builds them.

traviswalk
02-06-2011, 07:05 PM
The one I have both heard and played is the best I've ever played for my style, huge, beautiful cleans with single coils and then the thickest, fullest, most balanced overdrive with humbuckers.

coolhand78
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
do the bassman versions of this amp still run at 4 ohms?

SBlue
10-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Hey all,

This mod was mentioned in another post last week. I'm just curious to know what info is out there about this mod. Anyone have info as to what it is and how it sounds?

The UltraPhonix Alexander built for me is the best amp I have. And I have quite a few.
Mine is a Dual Showman, and it's UltraPhonix with "Gain" on the Normal channel and "Fat Boy Tremolo".
Not only the amp sound is incredible, but playing one at real volume, read "not bedroom", it's an experience every decent person should go through in a life time.
The way the amp respond to the touch, the way the feedback is musical, the way the amp sustains, and the way it respond to pedals.
It's just magical.

bettset
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
any way to post some clips :munch

SBlue
10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
any way to post some clips :munch

There's another thread with a youtube video of a Ultra-phonix.
Great video, by the way.

Here is the best and most accurate review of an Ultra-Phonix. How do I know? Here is talking about my two amps. Sadly this was before I got the Rock-Phonix mod to another amp... would love his detailed review on this one too.

"I wanted to drop in with a couple of brief reviews of two Dumble modded Fender amps a good friend of mine was gracious enough to let me play extensively. A BIG thanks goes out to him.

One is a Dual Showman head with the "Ultra Phonix Mod" and the other is a Bassman mod Dumble calls "La Tostada".

******************Disclaimer******************
I have limited playing experience with the un-modified versions of the two amps and I was not allowed inside any of the two.

Ultra Phonix:

The "Vibrato" channel (which is actually amplitude modulation rather than pitch) is the clean side of the amp but gets a slight breakup when cranked. This channel takes effects very well and practically anything we threw at it sounded good. Sounds like the classis Fender clean but just...more! From what I understand the Tremolo was modified as well and it sounds very quiet and no audible tick can be heard from the LFO even at very high volumes.

The "Normal" channel has been converted to the overdrive channel and in my opinion this channel is scary good. The volume control sets the amount of gain and volume. It's fairly unlike the overdrive on an ODS in that it has a rawer more raspy sound, great for classic rock power chord galore. But the real magic happens when the Volume is on 10 (doesn't it always!). The sound gets absolutely HUGE and signal-to-noise ratio is beyond phenomenal. If I stopped playing I could have sworn there was a noise gate in there, it was that quiet and I'm not exaggerating one bit. Also, the amp had an unearthly way of producing controlled feedback. Every note played would sustain indefinitely and even chords! The feedback would retain the note played without running away with a crazy harmonic, again, even on chords. A particularly cool way I liked playing this channel was to pedal an open note, have it feedback and then play stuff over it! Although sometimes, when I played a particularly disonant chord I could hear some swichy inter-mod-type sounds emanating from the speakers but I didn't think it was ugly.

La Tostada:

4x10 Bassman with Jensen P-10R speakers. This amp really shone with a humbucker equipped guitar. Cleans were very sparkly even on the normal channel but always retained a thick low-end that really filled the room. One thing that took me by surprise was how interactive and versatile the EQ was on this amp. We really had to spend some time dialing this one in to a sound that suited the room and guitar.

The overdrive on La Tostada is, of course more Marshall-like than the Ultra-Phonix and the available gain on the Tostada was in the same ballpark as the U-Phonix as well. Absolutely brilliant on huge power chords and rock music in general. The amp never got muddy and the individual strings could be heard clearly through distorted passages. Also, a very quiet amp even at full bore.

Although the Tostada was a great amp, I really though the Ultra-Phonix was the one to beat. It had that "something" that inspired me to just play and at that point, dare I say, I didn't give a damn what was inside the amp becuase doing anything other than just playing the thing seemed ludicrous.

BTW, HAD still writes in a gold pen on the tubes!"

nichcope
10-11-2011, 01:18 PM
My Glaswerks SOD II is based on a Dumble Ultra Phonix modded amp out there and it is an amazing amp! Best I've ever played!

doctorbaster
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
search you tube for "michael burks 2004"
short clip of The first overdrive special voiced with ultraphonix
if you want an idea of what that architecture sounds like.

wishkahdaddy
10-12-2011, 05:22 AM
How would a person get their hands on one of these? Price?

Mikeroesoft
10-12-2011, 05:30 AM

There was one in the emporium less than a month ago for $14500. It sounds like it would be the amp that I would be after, and if I had the coin I would buy one. Problem is, I just don't think I'll ever have $14500 for an amp.

dbeeman
10-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Brandon at Bludotone built one for 2200 + donor chassis. I do not know if he will do those right now or not.

Mikeroesoft
10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Brandon at Bludotone built one for 2200 + donor chassis. I do not know if he will do those right now or not.

I asked a couple of months ago and he said he is now too busy to do one anytime soon.

Mac Daddy 355
11-12-2011, 09:38 PM
qfANqu0k3qw

coolhand78
11-13-2011, 05:05 PM
qfANqu0k3qw

wow!!! :bow

dsmc80
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
The UltraPhonix Alexander built for me is the best amp I have. And I have quite a few.
Mine is a Dual Showman, and it's UltraPhonix with "Gain" on the Normal channel and "Fat Boy Tremolo".
Not only the amp sound is incredible, but playing one at real volume, read "not bedroom", it's an experience every decent person should go through in a life time.
The way the amp respond to the touch, the way the feedback is musical, the way the amp sustains, and the way it respond to pedals.
It's just magical.

I'm familiar with a similar Dual Showman that he did. Although, it did not have a "Fat Boy Tremolo" channel. That sounds very interesting.

There is an Ultraphonix floating out there that is a gutted MusicMan RD100. The transformers and EVM12L are all that stayed. That is one fine amp.

Mikeroesoft
11-13-2011, 06:21 PM
qfANqu0k3qw

That is the best humbucking tone I have ever heard. GREAT video, thanks for posting.

traviswalk
11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Awesome clip Brad and Matt's playing is so smooth, great stuff. What cab were you running that through?

Mac Daddy 355
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
The Cab is a Welagen 1/12 ( Fane ) varmint...

I'll have to post a demo with

the true match .... Fender mid 60's fender showman cab w/a pair of E120 JBL Speaker's

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/bduds/Showman.jpg

Really something to behold

SBlue
11-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm familiar with a similar Dual Showman that he did. Although, it did not have a "Fat Boy Tremolo" channel. That sounds very interesting.

There is an Ultraphonix floating out there that is a gutted MusicMan RD100. The transformers and EVM12L are all that stayed. That is one fine amp.

They are just amazing amps!
Contrary to what was said here, every Ultraphonix is a ground up building. He uses the transformer, but everything else is changed.
The "la Tostada" used the re-issue Bassman as plataform, and was not a ground up building.

voodoosound
11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
They are just amazing amps!
Contrary to what was said here, every Ultraphonix is a ground up building. He uses the transformer, but everything else is changed.
The "la Tostada" used the re-issue Bassman as plataform, and was not a ground up building.

Yep. ALL Ultraphonix amps are ground up builds. Nice Showman. Looks familiar;)

Mac Daddy 355
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Awesome clip Brad and Matt's playing is so smooth, great stuff. What cab were you running that through?

This one's for you Todd

xQwir3nOHl8

coolhand78
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
that is brilliant!!!

StratStringSlinger
11-14-2011, 04:39 PM
This one's for you Todd

xQwir3nOHl8

Very nice playing! Who is that?

Mac Daddy 355
11-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Very nice playing! Who is that?

Matt Rae

Mikeroesoft
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Good gawd that sounds really nice.

traviswalk
11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
This one's for you Todd

Man that is great!!!

Mac Daddy 355
11-19-2011, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=traviswalk]Man that is great!!![/QUOTE

YICYoFWFdHM

blke
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I apologize for the noob question...
You guys are all say "Alexander Built For Me"
Is he still building? Do any of you know him?

bandmaster
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Yes, he is still building and yes I know him.

blke
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Is he still building the SSS and ODS?

GregDClark
01-31-2012, 06:28 PM
From talking to good friend of mine and a long time friend of Alexander Dumble:

"He spends most of his time tweaking studio gear (Neve consuls etc.) at some of the hottest studio's in LA. He hasn't made any "New" amps per'se, not the ODS or SSS at least. Although recently he has made a few Tweed style amps with his "Dumble tweaks" (ex. the Tweedle Deluxe for Kenny Wayne Shepard) but he has modded a few amps recently."

pinner
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
However Mike Landau received a new ODS not too long ago.

bandmaster
02-01-2012, 06:07 AM

" He hasn't made any "New" amps per'se, not the ODS or SSS at least"

This is not true.

voodoosound
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM

"He spends most of his time tweaking studio gear (Neve consuls etc.) at some of the hottest studio's in LA. He hasn't made any "New" amps per'se, not the ODS or SSS at least. Although recently he has made a few Tweed style amps with his "Dumble tweaks" (ex. the Tweedle Deluxe for Kenny Wayne Shepard) but he has modded a few amps recently."

I'm not going to going into details but just in the information you are quoting. I wouldn't put much value in anything your friend says. To say he hasn't built any amps but has modded a few is completely contradictory since everything he does is ground up with very very few exception. And the first sentence was true about 10-15 years ago. Sounds like it was quoted out of book to me. A book with outdated info.

blke
08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Does he build for regular people?

GregDClark
08-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not going to going into details but just in the information you are quoting. I wouldn't put much value in anything your friend says. To say he hasn't built any amps but has modded a few is completely contradictory since everything he does is ground up with very very few exception. And the first sentence was true about 10-15 years ago. Sounds like it was quoted out of book to me. A book with outdated info.

You're right, quite a few folks have gotten amps, and yes when he does mods he does build from the ground up so I guess that counts as building new amps, sorry for the misinformation, just quoting what I heard. It may have been quite a bit of time since they had last spoken so I stand corrected.

bandmaster
08-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Does he build for regular people?

I guess he does. I consider myself to be a regular guy.

coolhand78
08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I guess he does. I consider myself to be a regular guy.

a regular LUCKY guy ;)

mrfender
08-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Did the amp mentioned in this thread that was for sale in the emporium sell? I did a search and couldn't find it. Anyone have any knowledge of any that are for sale (stores, forums, etc)?

voodoosound
08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=mrfender;13708325]Did the amp mentioned in this thread that was for sale in the emporium sell? I did a search and couldn't find it. Anyone have any knowledge of any that are for sale (stores, forums, etc)?[/

Dumble amps are like most sought after things in life. You have to know the right people.

mrfender
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Dumble amps are like most sought after things in life. You have to know the right people.

Haha. I'm well aware of that. I know a couple people who own one. I was just curious if the one that was apparently listed in the emporium actually sold.

SBlue
08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Did the amp mentioned in this thread that was for sale in the emporium sell? I did a search and couldn't find it. Anyone have any knowledge of any that are for sale (stores, forums, etc)?

It depends on what amp. If you're talking about the ones I've mentioned, they're still with me. And they are not going anywhere. I'll have them till I die!

voodoosound
08-19-2012, 06:27 PM
It depends on what amp. If you're talking about the ones I've mentioned, they're still with me. And they are not going anywhere. I'll have them till I die!

He's talking about the ultraphonix showman that Matt Rae is playing. I sold it about 8 months ago privately and the new owner is extremely happy with it. So it is no longer available. If you are seriously interested and have the coin. You may contact me. I might be willing to part with a couple others.

SBlue
08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
He's talking about the ultraphonix showman that Matt Rae is playing. I sold it about 8 months ago privately and the new owner is extremely happy with it. So it is no longer available. If you are seriously interested and have the coin. You may contact me. I might be willing to part with a couple others.

Thanks for the offer, but I already got three direct from Dumble(the Ultraphonix Showman, La Tostada Bassman and RockPhonix Bandmaster mentioned earlier are mine). So I thought he was asking if I was selling my amp. I'm pretty happy with them, so I'll pass, but I really appreciate the offer!

voodoosound
08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I already got three direct from Dumble(the Ultraphonix Showman, La Tostada Bassman and RockPhonix Bandmaster mentioned earlier are mine). So I thought he was asking if I was selling my amp. I'm pretty happy with them, so I'll pass, but I really appreciate the offer!

Well I was actually offering to mrfender but no worries. I had a showman and a bandmaster ultra that I had sold. I still own a jmp ultra, a Marshall grinder I believe it's called and a bassman ultra. And of course my ODR. They are fantastic amps indeed.

SBlue
08-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Well I was actually offering to mrfender but no worries. I had a showman and a bandmaster ultra that I had sold. I still own a jmp ultra, a Marshall grinder I believe it's called and a bassman ultra. And of course my ODR. They are fantastic amps indeed.

Yep... they're the good stuff.

Mikeroesoft
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
My ultimate dream amp would be an Ultraphonix mod to my '63 Pro.

GregDClark
09-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Here's what my version of the Ultra Phonix Mod looks like :

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq162/boldaslove6789/Quinn%20SDO%20Preamp%20183/DSC06025.jpg

dbeeman
09-05-2012, 10:59 PM
How does it sound?

GregDClark
09-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Sorry, no clips right now. Will post some clips when I get the current one I'm doing finished for a TGP member.

dbeeman
09-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks, so is it one drive channel and one "clean" channel? - Never saw one or played one in person, wondering how the channels are setup

GregDClark
09-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Well, there is 2 seperate Footswitchable channels, both are capable of a decent amount of "overdrive", or both are able to be "Clean" and any combination in between. Most like to use one as a lead side and the other as a clean side. Both channels are voiced quite different, one being capable of more gain than the other. They also have their own dedicated Preamp Boost, both of the preamp boost are different also. It doesn't have Overdrive like an ODS, its more like a nicely tuned Marshall plexi, but much more versatile with the ability to get great cleans too.

AFAIK all Ultra phonix mods are different, mine is based on a particular one but with an added passive FX Loop, Bias Adjust on the back Panel, as well as a 3 button Footswitch for each channels Preamp boost, and a ftsw to toggle one or the other channel. I use NOs parts and NOS preamp tubes on all of my mods too.

Hope that gleans some light.

wishkahdaddy
11-24-2012, 01:33 AM
It's really strange as it does not seem to be like the Greg I knew. I'm hoping someone out there knows him well enough to know where he is.

Hope you figure it out. I had contacted him a few weeks ago as well and never heard back.....

jellewelagen
11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I hope it will be resolved soon. Greg is a moderator at another forum I frequent. There is a discussion about this too: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19663

I hope he is ok.

peterdjp
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Man, too bad. Seemed like a good dude. Wishkah I hope you get your amp.

wjdunham
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
qfANqu0k3qw

Does this particular build have a Master volume? Also, which channel are you using (assuming this one has one voiced for a bit lower gain, and one for higher)?
Thanks,
Bill

mrfender
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
It does not have a master volume

Billion81
04-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Does this particular build have a Master volume? Also, which channel are you using (assuming this one has one voiced for a bit lower gain, and one for higher)?
Thanks,
Bill

That reminds me Bill. I need to get to work on my donor..

wjdunham
04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
That reminds me Bill. I need to get to work on my donor..

Ready any time Ted :-) I've got one on the bench in an early 70's silver face Bandmaster - the higher gain channel is amazing, but it's loud. I plan to try a couple of different Master configurations to see if it can be tamed but still maintain that singing quality that it has now. Power scaling of some sort might be another option, but more complex than a simple master.
Bill

mrfender
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Ready any time Ted :-) I've got one on the bench in an early 70's silver face Bandmaster - the higher gain channel is amazing, but it's loud. I plan to try a couple of different Master configurations to see if it can be tamed but still maintain that singing quality that it has now. Power scaling of some sort might be another option, but more complex than a simple master.
Bill

Is this a build you're doing based off of a schematic? I've heard that although the Ultra Phonix have a similar sound they didn't all look the same under the hood. Have you been around/inside a real U.P.?

wishkahdaddy
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Well that amp on the bench is hopefully mine soon. Bill, it's inevitable, if it's my amp it's LOUD. I swear I'm a magnet for loud-arse amps! HA

wjdunham
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Is this a build you're doing based off of a schematic? I've heard that although the Ultra Phonix have a similar sound they didn't all look the same under the hood. Have you been around/inside a real U.P.?

I've seen a few and yes, the are all "different". This may be a bit too general, but most Dumble amps are "variations on a theme", the general topology, component choice and layout are all very similar. I've seen one with a Master on the back, but did not hear it, just photos.

The end result can be quite a bit different sonically based on the exact values and the way he tuned the amps, set the voltages etc... I'm starting with the circuit from a specific amp, but tweaking as necessary. The goal is to get the same singing mid qualities that all Dumbles seem to have. It's a bit trickier on a "clean" only amp as you can't hide behind the OD channel and it's associated compression :-) Gain is your friend, and the amp has it in spades. I need to try a few different Master vol configurations and see which one if any preserves as much of the right characteristics at a lower volume. Using a Dumbleator as the Master in the FX loop (which I added to this one) is another option which I will try. Will report back when I'm done :-)
Bill

www.sebagosound.com

mrfender
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I look forward to hearing it Bill. I always wondered why there weren't clones of this circuit out there by all the Dumble cloners. Many versions of the ODS as well as SSS. I just assumed because it's a newer build in the span of Dumble amps and most of the people who own them got them directly from HAD and respect his wish to keep the circuit private.

The only clips on youtube I've found are Mac Daddy's amp and a clip of Michael Burks from 2004 were he is supposedly using one live.

I have an actual Dumble Marshall Ultra Phonix coming tomorrow. I hope to make some video clips of it this weekend to at least add a couple to the few out there.

Billion81
04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm cool with Loud..

voodoosound
04-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Master volumes, loops and dumbleators in an Ultrphonix? Oh my.

I've seen a few and yes, the are all "different". This may be a bit too general, but most Dumble amps are "variations on a theme", the general topology, component choice and layout are all very similar. I've seen one with a Master on the back, but did not hear it, just photos.

The end result can be quite a bit different sonically based on the exact values and the way he tuned the amps, set the voltages etc... I'm starting with the circuit from a specific amp, but tweaking as necessary. The goal is to get the same singing mid qualities that all Dumbles seem to have. It's a bit trickier on a "clean" only amp as you can't hide behind the OD channel and it's associated compression :-) Gain is your friend, and the amp has it in spades. I need to try a few different Master vol configurations and see which one if any preserves as much of the right characteristics at a lower volume. Using a Dumbleator as the Master in the FX loop (which I added to this one) is another option which I will try. Will report back when I'm done :-)
Bill

www.sebagosound.com

Billion81
04-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Rob- You know I just want a Dumble modded Marshall!! haha. Hope you are well. Some good south finally hitting this weekend!

Ted

wjdunham
04-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Ya, I know...
I don't think the amp "needs" any of the above, but a Post PI MV might add some flexibility without compromising too much of the amps mojo. I haven't really had enough time with the amp to say whether it's even worth it. I can say that it sings pretty well but at a volume that might limit the situations where the amp can be used, but again, that's after a short test in a small room with a 2x12 loaded with EV12L's. I haven't done any tuning to see how low a volume I can run it and still have it sing. To me, that's the attraction of the real things, they generate a large amount of harmonic content at least a medium volume level.
Bill

wjdunham
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Ya, I know...
I don't think the amp "needs" any of the above, but a Post PI MV might add some flexibility without compromising too much of the amps mojo. I haven't really had enough time with the amp to say whether it's even worth it. I can say that it sings pretty well but at a volume that might limit the situations where the amp can be used, but again, that's after a short test in a small room with a 2x12 loaded with EV12L's. I haven't done any tuning to see how low a volume I can run it and still have it sing. To me, that's the attraction of the real things, they generate a large amount of harmonic content at least a medium volume level.
Bill

I should really just ask you guys who own the real things - do you feel the amp would benefit at all from a Master?

Bill

Carl_Tone
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
You might want to ask this over at the boutiquegeartalk forum as well...there is already an ultraphonix thread there I think...

It would seem it's a guitar players Harley...they like 'em loud and proud...

Personally though....I'm all about masters...

So are most people looking for the dumble sound ...no?

wjdunham
04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I look forward to hearing it Bill. I always wondered why there weren't clones of this circuit out there by all the Dumble cloners. Many versions of the ODS as well as SSS. I just assumed because it's a newer build in the span of Dumble amps and most of the people who own them got them directly from HAD and respect his wish to keep the circuit private.

The only clips on youtube I've found are Mac Daddy's amp and a clip of Michael Burks from 2004 were he is supposedly using one live.

I have an actual Dumble Marshall Ultra Phonix coming tomorrow. I hope to make some video clips of it this weekend to at least add a couple to the few out there.

That's a very good question - I think some of might be because they are sort of a "stealth" amp, some famous player may be using one but you'd never know it unless he disclosed that it was a Dumble re-worked amp (a'la Kenny Wayne Shephard). I also think you are right that most who own them aren't interested in de-gooping them.
There are a lot of similarities between the UP amps and what's in some of the ODS amps, very familiar circuit configurations and ingredients. I'll be very interested to hear how Marshall UP sounds. A lot of the changes to the original Fender circuits move the amp towards what's already in a Marshall.
Bill

voodoosound
04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Rob- You know I just want a Dumble modded Marshall!! haha. Hope you are well. Some good south finally hitting this weekend!

Ted

Ted you just missed the last one I will ever sell.
Surf up this way has been gangbusters. Good winter overall.

Rob

voodoosound
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
That's a very good question - I think some of might be because they are sort of a "stealth" amp, some famous player may be using one but you'd never know it unless he disclosed that it was a Dumble re-worked amp (a'la Kenny Wayne Shephard). I also think you are right that most who own them aren't interested in de-gooping them.
There are a lot of similarities between the UP amps and what's in some of the ODS amps, very familiar circuit configurations and ingredients. I'll be very interested to hear how Marshall UP sounds. A lot of the changes to the original Fender circuits move the amp towards what's already in a Marshall.
Bill

Actually there are very few similarities between an ultra and an ODS. Maybe as many as are in a fender showman and a soldano SLO.

wjdunham
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Actually there are very few similarities between an ultra and an ODS. Maybe as many as are in a fender showman and a soldano SLO.

I guess I used the term "similarities" very generally - but if you just consider the clean channel of an ODS then at least the topologies are similar. For example, the Phase Inverter component values on one of the UP amps I've seen also show up in an ODS.

mrfender
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
My Ultra Phonix came in today and all I can say is WOW!!! There are qualities to this amp that I just haven't experienced before. I currently own a couple Two Rocks as well as vintage Marshall Plexi's and vintage Fenders. Also, boutique versions such as Victoria and Germino.
The sustain even at low volumes is unbelievable. Pick a note or chord and it almost doesn't end. Really crazy. There is also this big "chewiness" to each note that I haven't experienced before. It makes you very aware of your picking technique. Just big pure tone, even more so than the great vintage amps I own.
The really interesting thing is that the amp has EL34's but the clean tones are very 6L6 like. Way better than my Two Rock Classic Reverb.

coolhand78
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
My Ultra Phonix came in today and all I can say is WOW!!! There are qualities to this amp that I just haven't experienced before. I currently own a couple Two Rocks as well as vintage Marshall Plexi's and vintage Fenders. Also, boutique versions such as Victoria and Germino.
The sustain even at low volumes is unbelievable. Pick a note or chord and it almost doesn't end. Really crazy. There is also this big "chewiness" to each note that I haven't experienced before. It makes you very aware of your picking technique. Just big pure tone, even more so than the great vintage amps I own.
The really interesting thing is that the amp has EL34's but the clean tones are very 6L6 like. Way better than my Two Rock Classic Reverb.

thats awesome man, would be great if you could post some clips...

did you have a long wait to get it?

dbeeman
04-05-2013, 12:16 AM

Did Mr. Dumble build it for you?

mrfender
04-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Did Mr. Dumble build it for you?

No. This amp was purchased on the Dumble black market. :Devil

dsmc80
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I should really just ask you guys who own the real things - do you feel the amp would benefit at all from a Master?

Bill

Not at all.

traviswalk
04-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Congrats Nate! Can't wait to hear this amp someday :aok

parker
04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Congratulations! Great sounding amp I'm sure..

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
It's an amazing experience to hear and feel what a Dumble amp can actually do. And even more amazing how far away the cloners are. Congratulations Nate.

bandmaster
04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
It's an amazing experience to hear and feel what a Dumble amp can actually do. And even more amazing how far away the cloners are.

Fully agree with this statement.

mrfender
04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Rob!!!!!!!

Mikeroesoft
04-05-2013, 09:59 AM
It's an amazing experience to hear and feel what a Dumble amp can actually do. And even more amazing how far away the cloners are. Congratulations Nate.

I'd be interested to hear in detail what you think the "cloners" are missing. I have never played an authentic Dumble so I have no point of reference, though I do have an "inspired by" amp. If I had the money, the first thing I'd do would be to inquire about having Dumble mod my old Fender amp, but for me I just don't think it will ever be a reality. Congrats to all of you who have em though....

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd be interested to hear in detail what you think the "cloners" are missing. I have never played an authentic Dumble so I have no point of reference, though I do have an "inspired by" amp. If I had the money, the first thing I'd do would be to inquire about having Dumble mod my old Fender amp, but for me I just don't think it will ever be a reality. Congrats to all of you who have em though....

Exactly. Most that are buying Dumble clones have no point of reference. Including the builders. Building off a schematic found on the ampgarage is the equivalent of having someone paint you a pic of the Mona Lisa with a paint by numbers kit. Someone who's never actually seen the Mona Lisa in person. So to answer your question. What's missing from the cloners. Ears, experience and Talent. If they had any of these they wouldn't need to use Alexs name for their own personal cupidity as their amps would stand on their own merit. Like Bogner, Soldano, Suhr etc.

Mikeroesoft
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Exactly. Most that are buying Dumble clones have no point of reference. Including the builders. Building off a schematic found on the ampgarage is the equivalent of having someone paint you a pic of the Mona Lisa with a paint by numbers kit. Someone who's never actually seen the Mona Lisa in person. So to answer your question. What's missing from the cloners. Ears, experience and Talent. If they had any of these they wouldn't need to use Alexs name for their own personal cupidity as their amps would stand on their own merit. Like Bogner, Soldano, Suhr etc.

Thanks for the response. What I was getting at, is that there a number of builders (Brandon M., Bill K. etc.) out there that have extensive experince working on and in real Dumbles. They have a point of reference, the paint, the numbers and decent ears...

Regardless of the name on the amp, what differentiates real Dumbles from the rest of the pack....tone wise, nothing else.

The reason I am asking, is because I can't seem to find anyone that can provide an explanation that speaks to the differences and not the reason for the differences.

Ayan
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
In addition to ears, experience and talent, I knew there had to be another reason my amps sound great! :D

Cheers,

Gil

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ayanphotobucket/Paris_2011/Paris_2011_263.jpg

Mikeroesoft
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I do have so much respect for Dumble, he has amazing designs and if I could have any amp in the world, it would be an Ultra-Phonix mod....but thats just based on You tube clips so there you go. I am sure that I don't "need" one of his amps for what I do, but am obsessed with getting a good guitar tone for me, and I love hearing what each amp has to offer.

Anyway, I respect the fact that he knows no one else can build one of his amps so the idea of mass producing the amps is not even a question...for then it wouldn't be a Dumble.

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the response. What I was getting at, is that there a number of builders (Brandon M., Bill K. etc.) out there that have extensive experince working on and in real Dumbles. They have a point of reference, the paint, the numbers and decent ears...

Regardless of the name on the amp, what differentiates real Dumbles from the rest of the pack....tone wise, nothing else.

The reason I am asking, is because I can't seem to find anyone that can provide an explanation that speaks to the differences and not the reason for the differences.

And I've owned more than one example from just about every builder out there as of 3 years ago. And yet not one of them did what my Dumbles do. Go figure. So again. Seems like maybe not even just seeing the Mona Lisa applies. You still have to have the talent to produce it and not just a facsimile. Somethings def. Lost in translation. Sometimes things can not be explained. And that's precisely where experience comes in.

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 12:14 PM
In addition to ears, experience and talent, I knew there had to be another reason my amps sound great! :D

Cheers,

Gil

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ayanphotobucket/Paris_2011/Paris_2011_263.jpg

I'm sure it does Gil. I've played lots of amps that sound good. The only amps that I've ever played that sound or do anything like a dumble though were only built by Alexander Dumble

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I have been open to the idea that one of te builders can do it. But after spending a ton of money and time. Ive found nothing. Some things kinda close but in all honestly nothing more than I can get with a good fender and a zendrive.
I think Alan Philps early amps were the best of the bunch.

Ayan
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Although there are many amps that have been fully documented (schematics, pictures, sound bits, etc.), crucial bits of information which have later proven to be very important have been kept quiet. This is in part because cloners are in it to make money, so they want to have an edge on the competition. But also, many people have become disenchanted with sharing knowledge. It is a fact that some people have shared a lot while everyone else sucked up the information like vacuum cleaners. However, when some of those other people were able to check a new amp out and maybe get a scoop, they declined to share it with the people that helped them get started in the first place. Cases like that abound, and you probably need to look no further than this very thread to find some examples of both types of folks.

Over time, T.A.G. (and I mean the board, not our buddy who has posted hundreds of "Politician" clips) has collected a lot of information and I would dare say that most of what is needed to build a great sounding amp can be found there. However, you will not find it in any one schematic, per se. You will have to read a lot of threads and sometimes catch a post before its author pulls it at the request (sometimes pressure) of someone else who sees it and, for whatever reason, is unhappy with it. Been there and done that more than once, so I am very comfortable about what I am saying.

In short, I would say that a schematic is the foundation without which one could never build a specific clone. Choice of parts, tubes, and lead dress is important too, and one can get all of this off the Internet. Things that are not mentioned that often that, in my humble opinion, are crucial are setting the PI balance (whether with a trimmer or choosing the PI plate load resistors carefully for the amp/tubes in question), which by now has been fully documented over at T.A.G., and ensuring the proper orientation of all the coupling caps. Check these things and correct them on any bad sounding amp and you may be surprised at the results.

As for the Ultraphonix amps, since that's what this thread is supposed to be about, I suspect there may be more than one variation of it. However, at least some of the amps take on a Blues Master power section (think Marshall) with one channel being a Blues Master preamp and the other Skyliner preamp; both channels implement their respective preamp boosts, which are different. These are definitely ODS configurations, and their schematics have been posted at T.A.G. for years.

Needless to say, all of the credit goes to H.A. Dumble himself. I just think by now the reverse engineering of his work -- after efforts by many people over about a decade and a half -- is pretty accurate. However, I still don't believe anyone actually understands why he's done things the way he has and why what he's done works so well; I suspect Dumble will take that secret with him.

Cheers,

Gil

quinnamps
04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Rob you said years ago on this forum that no one could distinguish a bludo from the real thing.

Not saying your dishonest or your own cupidity was at play...
and your certainly free to change your opinion but I think the contrast of statements is rather stark and frankly odd.

BTW One of the companies you mentioned did the inductor in the feedback loop first.
Interestingly your ears did not distinguish that fact. ;O)
It's almost as if they BOTH could sound good using the same technology?

Hmmm... :D

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Rob you said years ago on this forum that no one could distinguish a bludo from the real thing.

and your certainly free to change your opinion but I think the contrast of statements is rather stark and frankly odd.

BTW One of the companies you mentioned did the inductor in the feedback loop first.

That is correct. Recorded. No one could tell the difference. You seem to forget that statement followed with in the room and playing them side by side everyone could tell.

You really want to open this can of worms with me Shad. Especially throwing words like dishonesty and cupidity which I'm sure you had to look up.

Mikeroesoft
04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Although there are many amps that have been fully documented (schematics, pictures, sound bits, etc.), crucial bits of information which have later proven to be very important have been kept quiet. This is in part because cloners are in it to make money, so they want to have an edge on the competition. But also, many people have become disenchanted with sharing knowledge. It is a fact that some people have shared a lot while everyone else sucked up the information like vacuum cleaners. However, when some of those other people were able to check a new amp out and maybe get a scoop, they declined to share it with the people that helped them get started in the first place. Cases like that abound, and you probably need to look no further than this very thread to find some examples of both types of folks.

Over time, T.A.G. (and I mean the board, not our buddy who has posted hundreds of "Politician" clips) has collected a lot of information and I would dare say that most of what is needed to build a great sounding amp can be found there. However, you will not find it in any one schematic, per se. You will have to read a lot of threads and sometimes catch a post before its author pulls it at the request (sometimes pressure) of someone else who sees it and, for whatever reason, is unhappy with it. Been there and done that more than once, so I am very comfortable about what I am saying.

In short, I would say that a schematic is the foundation without which one could never build a specific clone. Choice of parts, tubes, and lead dress is important too, and one can get all of this off the Internet. Things that are not mentioned that often that, in my humble opinion, are crucial are setting the PI balance (whether with a trimmer or choosing the PI plate load resistors carefully for the amp/tubes in question), which by now has been fully documented over at T.A.G., and ensuring the proper orientation of all the coupling caps. Check these things and correct them on any bad sounding amp and you may be surprised at the results.

As for the Ultraphonix amps, since that's what this thread is supposed to be about, I suspect there may be more than one variation of it. However, at least some of the amps take on a Blues Master power section (think Marshall) with one channel being a Blues Master preamp and the other Skyliner preamp; both channels implement their respective preamp boosts, which are different. These are definitely ODS configurations, and their schematics have been posted at T.A.G. for years.

Needless to say, all of the credit goes to H.A. Dumble himself. I just think by now the reverse engineering of his work -- after efforts by many people over about a decade and a half -- is pretty accurate. However, I still don't believe anyone actually understands why he's done things the way he has and why what he's done works so well; I suspect Dumble will take that secret with him.

Cheers,

Gil

Excellent post Gil. I love reading the ampgarage, there is so much great info there.

GtrWiz
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM

I've played 3 real Dumbles, two gorund ups and one modded Bassman (which was my favorite of the 3) and been in a room with one other that was being played. They were all a bit different. I've also played 3 clones, again all a bit different but I'd say the only "mojo" that the clones are missing is exclusivity and price.

That is not to take anything away from the originals, but the clones I've played Bludo, Red Plate, and one other I can't recall the name of, have it down. Feel and all.

rh
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Harsh words, but ones I agree with.

rh
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

As the guy selling expensive, exact clones of specific Dumble models -- as close to the edge of whatever ethical boundary still remains in this era of changed ethics -- I think your business model and price points depend on Rob being perceived as not believable.

Hence, I think this is about as self-serving a post as it could possibly be.

quinnamps
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
As the guy selling expensive, exact clones of specific Dumble models -- as close to the edge of whatever ethical boundary still remains in this era of changed ethics -- your business model and price points depend on Rob being perceived as not being believable.

Hence, this is about as self-serving a post as it could possibly be. Today 12:40 PM

Very true!
However Rob has bought and sold several dumble amps and loads of clones as well. Stands to reason that he is interested in maximizing value in each transaction.
I will not speculate if that has now or ever affected his evaluations of said amps..All I know is it has changed often over the years and it always seems to be whatever he is currently in possession of... So just as easily as you can argue that I am here to pimp our wares and make a beef that falls into favor for me... same can be said of Rob.
Differences are I have ears too, have been around as many of not more real Dumbles, got inside most of them, build actual products for people and I think in the grand scheme of things I am putting more good tone into the world for more people to enjoy.
I have no issuse with that whatsoever. I have dealt with several real dumble owners plenty of times now. Have built plenty of "clones". Those folks by and large seem extrmely happy and satisfied.

So to be honest with you...Why does our model depend on Rob in the least?
The way I see it the numerous real Dumble owners we have built for that are utterly satisfied with our work seems to me to bear far more weight then the opinion of one guy.
One (real dumble owners) opinion versus half a dozen or more real dumble owners opinions, hundreds of folks who have never played a dumble love them too...
So yeah not feeling like anything we do requires his approval.
This is not even calculating the numerous other previous Dumble amp owners who likewise have found satisfaction in other brands.
I think overwhelmingly the evidence shows that more people have moved on happily then there are people insisting that only a real Dumble will ever do.

Mikeroesoft
04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Everyone has a motivation and/or a vested interest, big deal....stop calling each other out on it and lets get on with the Ultraphonix discussion.

voodoosound
04-05-2013, 04:11 PM
To be clear. I have in fact bought several Dumble amps. To date I think 10. I have sold 3. And not for Capital Gain. If I've sold an amp it was either to buy another or to buy something for the studio. If I had enough money. I would never hav sold 1 of my Dumbles.

As far as clones go. Yes. I have bought and sold at least 40. Losing my ass or breaking even on everyone of them. And I have never once received or expected anything for free. You see I never got into these amps for a dollar. I got into them because I had hoped that someone could actually build me an amp that they said they could. Many got close. Some came up with cool stuff in their own right. But my Dumbles are still here and my clones are all gone except for one that MK built that has a cool clean thats more fender than Dumble and One of Alans first 3 amps that I've owned since 2004 or 5. I don't recall.

So before anyone accuses me sullying my reputation for a dollar or anything else. Especially for what I consider chump change in the grand scheme of things. Think again.

rh
04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
So to be honest with you...Why does our model depend on Rob in the least?

Fair question, even if pointed directly at the text but not the subtext of what I wrote.

So let me bring the subtext up directly:

Your business model regarding your Dumble line, including pricing and your statements regarding Quinn Amps exclusivity, seem to be based on the notion that buying one of your Dumble-numbered clones is the same as buying that very same Dumble.

If the idea gains traction that this isn't true, because only a Dumble is a Dumble, the reasons to select one of yours and pay your price for it become less compelling.

You've made some very pointed comments to Rob regarding his credibility and motivations. This seems to be out of character for the timbre of most of your posts, to the extent I remember reading them. Maybe you don't like Rob, or something, and this is how you always talk to him. I dunno. But from my perspective, this strikes me as showing you recognize the value you stand to lose should notions of Quinn Amps exclusivity and "same as Dumble #<x>" don't hold, and you seem very aggressive about protecting that value.

If it's just one guy's opinion versus the legion of other Dumble owners you've worked with that think you and your amps are the bees knees, I don't understand why you seem to have gone after Rob like you have.

But I don't care either way. I've dealt directly with Rob exactly once before, and found him to be utterly a man of his word. I would buy anything from him based on what he says it is, no question. I dealt directly with you once regarding information about a used Quinn 18w head I owned briefly, and I don't recall anything unpleasant about your email. If I was one of those guys who thought buying a Dumble clone was cool, I'd either buy one of yours or Mark Kane's. (I think the absolute world of both Mark Kane and his amps, so before you decide my motivation is that I don't like cloners, don't bother.)

Best of luck to you.

Carl_Tone
04-05-2013, 06:14 PM
So in summary....

because only a Dumble is a Dumble,

I dunno.

If it's just one guy's opinion

But I don't care either way.

I'd either buy one of yours or Mark Kane's.

I think I got the gyst of it...I mean I hope I did, cause I tried.

No really, I did :D

rh
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
think

gyst

hope

really

Wow. That didn't make a lick of sense. :)

That's fun! It isn't what you wrote, but I guess we don't care about that.

Carl_Tone
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
That's fun!

YES!:D

quinnamps
04-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Your business model regarding your Dumble line, including pricing and your statements regarding Quinn Amps exclusivity, seem to be based on the notion that buying one of your Dumble-numbered clones is the same as buying that very same Dumble.

If the idea gains traction that this isn't true, because only a Dumble is a Dumble, the reasons to select one of yours and pay your price for it become less compelling.

Your first sentence doesn't honestly make sense to me. Your saying people are buying Quinns with the notion that what they are indeed buying is the SAME as a Dumble!???... that would mean they believe they are buying a DUMBLE...
I am quite sure that has never occurred...
If it did I missed one hell of a cash out!!! DAMN!!!!

So yeah don't think anyone has that notion honestly....
If so let me dispell it thusly...
A Quinn is a Quinn, a Dumble is a Dumble and:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/MagrittePipe.jpg/300px-MagrittePipe.jpg

dsmc80
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Cheers,

Gil

I personally have two variations of it. They aren't wildly different. but they are different enough.

Also, regarding no one being able to build something else like that, I can't say I agree. I have builds from a bunch of different guys and they all have their unique thing going on. I can't in good faith say that my Ultraphonix amps are any better than a few of my other amps that are takes on this circuit. I also have access to a friends SSS and it is wonderful, but it isn't in a different league than a few clones I have played. The same is true from my Trainwrecks. I have one original Wreck that my brother left me when he died, I've owned another original and I have a JM build. They are spectacular amps, but the truth is that they are all analog circuits that do not involve magic. Sure they are a sum of everything that goes in to them, but a great builder who understands careful component selection and their effects can easily make one of these amps.

I'm not afraid to say that. I love my Dumble stuff and I love my TW stuff, but acting like others can't do it is disingenuous in my mind. However, there is something to be said for being the first to design it and do it.

:aok

And let's not be so serious. We are lucky to be able to enjoy such great gear.

EDIT: PS, Ayan! My first sentance was in response to what you asked about circuit variation. The rest was just my 2 cents. :)

Carl_Tone
04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Also, regarding no one being able to build something else like that, I can't say I agree. I have builds from a bunch of different guys and they all have their unique thing going on. I can't in good faith say that my Ultraphonix amps are any better than a few of my other amps that are takes on this circuit. I also have access to a friends SSS and it is wonderful, but it isn't in a different league than a few clones I have played.

I'm not afraid to say that. I love my Dumble stuff and I love my TW stuff, but acting like others can't do it is disingenuous in my mind. However, there is something to be said for being the first to design it and do it.

:aok

And let's not be so serious. We are lucky to be able to enjoy such great gear.

Oohhhh thank you for being a voice of sanity here...although you are probably about to be countered by ones above who have a diametrically opposed point of view...

At least they can't claim that you haven't played on the same field!

dsmc80
04-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Oohhhh thank you for being a voice of sanity here...although you are probably about to be countered by ones above who have a diametrically opposed point of view...

At least they can't claim that you haven't played on the same field!

This thread is great with a bunch of good information. It is fun reading other people's opinions here too, I just hope the discussion stays productive and civil...

;)

trailrun100s
04-05-2013, 08:51 PM
geez...none of these circuits are patented, so get over it. Why does everyone go nuts with Dumble clones but people don't say anything with the boat loads of Marshall clones...

The back and forth bickering gets tiring...

wishkahdaddy
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Man, I don't tune in for a day and, WOW, the Dumble $#&% storm hits. You guys are pretty funny.

This thread was revamped again a few days ago by Bill of Sebago amps who is doing me a huge favor and building an Ultraphonix "type" build for me. This really started about 8 months ago when Greg D Clark was going to build me one. After Greg said my amp was close to done and ready to ship, I paid him his final payment and he all but disappeared. We had over 60+texts, phone calls, emails, etc. over the course of months and he kept me in the loop on every detail. I actually was starting to consider him a friend. Once I paid him, however, he never delivered my amp. I'm out close to $3,000 and he's running the streets free.

A couple of months ago Bill of Sebago amps heard my story and offered to build me "his take" on an Ultra Phonix amp, free of charge. I supply the donor chassis and he does the rest. Mind you I don't know Bill from Adam. This was a very kind gesture and, because I've heard the quality of Bill's amps (Damn fine amps he makes), I took him up on the offer. Bill has been a class act all the way and actually is way ahead of his build schedule. He emails me, we talk on the phone, and he keeps me in the loop on everything. It's been a great experience and I'm 100% confident he will deliver one heck of an amp.

You know what boys, I could care less about your bickering about your amps. I've owned A BUNCH of great amps. I'm the guy that took an $8,000 Van Weelden and $5,000 Carol Ann JB 100 to shitty clubs in South Seattle, ran them in stereo, and loved every minute of it. (I'll put that pair up against ANY combo that you guys can come up with!) At the end of the day none of your bickering matters. All of these top boutique amps (Dumbles included) are great in their own right and if you have the chops you'll get world class tone out of them if you know how to work the dials, feather your tone knob, and if you have what it takes to bring out great tone from your soul.

I'd like to personally thank Bill for basically building me an amp free of charge. That's what this is really about. A stranger stepping up to help a fellow musician out. Bill will always be viewed by me as a friend and a heck of a human being. Honestly, I could care less if his take on an Ultraphonix is "better", "the same", or "worse" than Dumble's build. I have 100% confidence it will be a kick a$$ amp that will inspire me to play. At the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

Thank you Bill!

Randy

quinnamps
04-05-2013, 11:25 PM
!fnord!

Thanks for the bump on that Bob. ;O)

If you want me to answer to something you need to actually ask a question.

Your vague implication of "something" nefarious is so nebulous I am not sure anyone is picking up what your putting down. ;O)

Either shed some light by actually saying something... of substance and meaning... and stop being delusional that people are reading your mind (we are but it is nothing personal)...

Why can't you accuse me of the crime you have already convicted me of?

:bow

!fnord!

dbeeman
04-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Wish the signal to noise ratio in this thread would improve

wjdunham
04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
The amp I am building for Randy is very similar to the one Gil described - Bluesmaster on one channel, Skyliner on the other, Bluesmaster phase inverter, EL34 power tubes, built on an early 70's Bandmaster donor. The mid eq is a fixed resistor with an ODS-like mid boost, megaboost for the Bluesmaster and PAB for the Skyliner channel. I'm also re-wiring the trem to be a bias-mod type so it can be used with both channels and to get rid of the bug and it's associated loading on the output. Not very much of the original preamp board components are left when it's all said and done, but I did keep the original board in there. Lots of work on the power supply as well since that has a huge effect on the tone and feel of the amp. Most of the time (and for me, fun) involved in a build like this is in the tweaking, getting the right tubes in there, adjusting the NFB, voltages, phase inverter trim, to get the most out of what is available. I'm sure there will be clips once the amp is finished...
Bill

www.sebagosound.com

Mikeroesoft
04-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Wish the signal to noise ratio in this thread would improve

Thats all I'm asking for!

big mike
04-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Competitors need to quit casting stones at each other or I'm going to start granting 'vacations'. Read the rules and take that stuff to email

Return the thread to topic. Now.
The self serving spam needs to stop as well.

rh
04-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Why can't you accuse me of the crime you have already convicted me of?

Maybe you should quit looking for something that isn't there. I've already said I thought you seemed a little too eager to discredit Rob (voodoosound), and I've already said it seems like the business model around your numbered-Dumble amps is based on them being recreations of those amps.

Do I think those are crimes? Hardly. Hell, I wished you good luck.

(In case that form of sentence structure confuses you, it means, "I don't think those are crimes. In fact, I hope you sell a shitload of them.")

You seem a little eager to interpret anything other than "Man! I can't wait until I can buy that Quinn Amp!" in the worst possible light. Really dude, chill. I wished you good luck, and I meant it.

Now, back on topic.

Personally, I'm glad to hear (via the KWS Dumble thread) that HAD is apparently back to building amps. That's freaking awesome. So what the hell is this Ultra Phonix mod really all about, anyway, and where can we hear what the fuss is about?

EDIT: Went back to the thread beginnings. Hard to tell from YT vids, but Matt Rae's humbucker tone was something else.

dsmc80
04-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Man, I don't tune in for a day and, WOW, the Dumble $#&% storm hits. You guys are pretty funny.

This thread was revamped again a few days ago by Bill of Sebago amps who is doing me a huge favor and building an Ultraphonix "type" build for me. This really started about 8 months ago when Greg D Clark was going to build me one. After Greg said my amp was close to done and ready to ship, I paid him his final payment and he all but disappeared. We had over 60+texts, phone calls, emails, etc. over the course of months and he kept me in the loop on every detail. I actually was starting to consider him a friend. Once I paid him, however, he never delivered my amp. I'm out close to $3,000 and he's running the streets free.

A couple of months ago Bill of Sebago amps heard my story and offered to build me "his take" on an Ultra Phonix amp, free of charge. I supply the donor chassis and he does the rest. Mind you I don't know Bill from Adam. This was a very kind gesture and, because I've heard the quality of Bill's amps (Damn fine amps he makes), I took him up on the offer. Bill has been a class act all the way and actually is way ahead of his build schedule. He emails me, we talk on the phone, and he keeps me in the loop on everything. It's been a great experience and I'm 100% confident he will deliver one heck of an amp.

You know what boys, I could care less about your bickering about your amps. I've owned A BUNCH of great amps. I'm the guy that took an $8,000 Van Weelden and $5,000 Carol Ann JB 100 to shitty clubs in South Seattle, ran them in stereo, and loved every minute of it. (I'll put that pair up against ANY combo that you guys can come up with!) At the end of the day none of your bickering matters. All of these top boutique amps (Dumbles included) are great in their own right and if you have the chops you'll get world class tone out of them if you know how to work the dials, feather your tone knob, and if you have what it takes to bring out great tone from your soul.

I'd like to personally thank Bill for basically building me an amp free of charge. That's what this is really about. A stranger stepping up to help a fellow musician out. Bill will always be viewed by me as a friend and a heck of a human being. Honestly, I could care less if his take on an Ultraphonix is "better", "the same", or "worse" than Dumble's build. I have 100% confidence it will be a kick a$$ amp that will inspire me to play. At the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

Thank you Bill!

Randy

Awesome post and good on Bill! What a guy.

dsmc80
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I thought this would be a nice post for the morning. The sun is shining this morning through my windows, I have my Telecaster plugged in and I have an A/B rig set up with my Ultraphonix and the Marshall. OOOOhhh yeah! :aok

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8624907276_34f4451541_b.jpg

mrfender
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Beautiful sunny day in Boston too! Time to play.

Dumble Marshall Ultra Phonix, Dumble 412, 62 Strat
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/ntelow/86c5f556-613d-4de3-bf92-b41b23b74480_zps902bf038.jpg

Mikeroesoft
04-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I thought this would be a nice post for the morning. The sun is shining this morning through my windows, I have my Telecaster plugged in and I have an A/B rig set up with my Ultraphonix and the Marshall. OOOOhhh yeah! :aok

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8624907276_34f4451541_b.jpg

Very nice....:drool .....but I can't get any volume. Turn it up!

les
04-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Love these photos!

parker
04-06-2013, 09:34 AM

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/ntelow/86c5f556-613d-4de3-bf92-b41b23b74480_zps902bf038.jpg

Wow! I would love to hear what that rig sounds like... clips maybe?

Mikeroesoft
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow! I would love to hear what that rig sounds like... clips maybe?

x2 :phones

les
04-06-2013, 11:33 AM
x2 :phones

+1...

68 Gold Top
04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I would be willing to bet the farm that its going to be very very loud.

dbeeman
04-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Competitors need to quit casting stones at each other or I'm going to start granting 'vacations'. Read the rules and take that stuff to email

Return the thread to topic. Now.
The self serving spam needs to stop as well.

Thanks Mike. Right on target.

dbeeman
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
The amp I am building for Randy is very similar to the one Gil described - Bluesmaster on one channel, Skyliner on the other, Bluesmaster phase inverter, EL34 power tubes, built on an early 70's Bandmaster donor. The mid eq is a fixed resistor with an ODS-like mid boost, megaboost for the Bluesmaster and PAB for the Skyliner channel. I'm also re-wiring the trem to be a bias-mod type so it can be used with both channels and to get rid of the bug and it's associated loading on the output. Not very much of the original preamp board components are left when it's all said and done, but I did keep the original board in there. Lots of work on the power supply as well since that has a huge effect on the tone and feel of the amp. Most of the time (and for me, fun) involved in a build like this is in the tweaking, getting the right tubes in there, adjusting the NFB, voltages, phase inverter trim, to get the most out of what is available. I'm sure there will be clips once the amp is finished...
Bill

www.sebagosound.com (http://www.sebagosound.com)

This looks great. I would trade the tremelo for adjustable midrange. Hope we get clips

dsmc80
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
+1...

Hell, I would too! A Dumble modded Marshall is really the only Dumble product that I haven't been able to personally get my hands on. Looks like a damn fun rig. :aok

StratStringSlinger
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Sweet Rig! Does it still sound anything like a Marshall or is it completely re-voiced?

Carl_Tone
04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
if you have the chops you'll get world class tone out of them if you know how to work the dials, feather your tone knob, and if you have what it takes to bring out great tone from your soul.

Yes...Mike Miller 'just' had a Mesa Quad when he did the Chick Corea.

You can pull up some vids on YT...Blue Miles comes to mind...

Or Jostein G....often playing thru some crystal lattice yet dropping jaws...

Any way the investment in your abilities brings far greater returns than the investment in circuitry.

Pursuit of knowledge ...or pursuit of purchases, or mix of both / choice is yours....but knowledge wins imho.

mrfender
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Sweet Rig! Does it still sound anything like a Marshall or is it completely re-voiced?

Still has lots of Marshall qualities. It has that great edge of breakup Hendrix Marshall tone but with a 6L6 type chime too. Much more going on than my old Plexi's or Germino. Hard to explain. Kinda like going from 2D to 3D.

The clip of Matt Rae playing a Les Paul into the Ultra Phonix does a good job showing the complexity of the tone. In person there is definitely a feel to this amp like no other amp I've played.

Billion81
04-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Can you do an iPhone or iPad clip?

trailrun100s
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Can you do an iPhone or iPad clip?

agreed...you can't post eye candy like that without at least a little clip :)

mrfender
04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Here's a really crappy iPad clip. I didn't have much time with the amp today and just recorded some noodling for my purposes as I become more familiar with the amp. I'll record something better in the future.

http://mZJcXrciKug

rh
04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Here's a really crappy iPad clip. I didn't have much time with the amp today and just recorded some noodling for my purposes as I become more familiar with the amp. I'll record something better in the future.

mZJcXrciKug

Fixed it

traviswalk
04-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I like it Nate, really dig it. What were the settings on that? How high were the volumes?

les
04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow! Fantastic tone! Really killer sound!

Billion81
04-06-2013, 08:27 PM
yeah- that sounded nice..

MacDaddy- that clip is private?

SuperReverb2
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Cool! They both sound great.

:)

les
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Try it now , Clams and all
Trex Roomate , Pigtronix Echolution and the KOT OD

Nice Brad! Sounds great!

guitarpedaladdict
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm glad to see this thread back on track, I am very interested in this topic. I was recently looking into getting a JTM45/100 type amp, but didn't want to be limited by the earth shaking volume. I started a conversation with Brandon and I am now on the list for a Mordecai with a KT66 power section and the Ultraphonix voicing. Brandon described it as JTM45 meets SSS. That Marshall clip sounds fantastic and your description is exactly what I told Brandon I was looking for.

One thing I wonder, some of the YT clips suggest that the the Ultraphonix amps still have quite a bit of gain, is this typical?

traviswalk
04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm glad to see this thread back on track, I am very interested in this topic. I was recently looking into getting a JTM45/100 type amp, but didn't want to be limited by the earth shaking volume. I started a conversation with Brandon and I am now on the list for a Mordecai with a KT66 power section and the Ultraphonix voicing. Brandon described it as JTM45 meets SSS. That Marshall clip sounds fantastic and your description is exactly what I told Brandon I was looking for.

One thing I wonder, some of the YT clips suggest that the the Ultraphonix amps still have quite a bit of gain, is this typical?

That is going to be a fantastic amp!! :bow

Mac Daddy 355
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM

the UP voicing really stays very tight & clean until you crank it or at lower volumes apply pedals .. the amp excel's with either formats

guitarpedaladdict
04-06-2013, 09:38 PM
That is going to be a fantastic amp!! :bow

Thanks Todd, Sept 2014...

Knowing what we all know about how much YT takes away from reality, I can only imagine how good that Marshall must sound in person. If my Mordecai goes there, I am going to be VERY happy.

Mrfender, what kind of speakers are you using with the Marshall?

StratStringSlinger
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM

http://mZJcXrciKug

Awesome!

How are you getting the verb/what pedals are you using?

mrfender
04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Here is the other clip I recorded quickly today. More noodling recorded with crappy sounding iPad.

UvEBotlCN9M

guitarpedaladdict
04-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Wonderful clips

parker
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM

mZJcXrciKug

That clip sounded excellent! The playing was great too. What did you step on at the end to get the gain?

voodoosound
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Here is the other clip I recorded quickly today. More noodling recorded with crappy sounding iPad.

UvEBotlCN9M

So any clone builders wanna post their clips that "nail" the tone of this amp?

If any builder can do it I'll take 2. I imagine you'll have a long list of customers Line up. Let's hear it.

les
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM

UvEBotlCN9M

Sound really incredible! It has a little SSS vibe to the tone, IMO... Nice playing and feel too!

guitarpedaladdict
04-07-2013, 01:38 AM
This thread is giving me GAS for a piece of gear that I have already ordered, I didn't know that was possible. Leave it to TGP to alter my gear lusting paradigm to a whole dimension.

Again, really enjoyed the clips. What a very special amp you have.

nudefish11
04-07-2013, 01:45 AM
sounds unreal.... i never wanted a marshall but now I want that.... WOW

bandmaster
04-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Nice Clips, that UP Marshall sounds wonderful.

I guess it's time to show some picutres of Dumbles UP I played/own besides the ones I played at Dumbles house.

The Pro Reverb is owned by a friend of mine

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/UltraPhonix_ProReverb_zps9e28f4a0.jpg

The Bandmaster and the Deluxe are mine.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/Bandmaster/UPhonix.jpg

Oh I just found a "phone" picture of my friends (who owns the Pro) new ODS. He took delivery last year. For people who wonder if Alexander is still makin' them. BTW, my friend owned quite a few cloner amps before I hooked him up with Alexander. He sold 'em after taking delivery of the Dumble.
Not saying they were bad, but very different than the Dumble. I understand he preferred the "real" thing.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/DumbleODS_zpsa3d40f0c.jpg

mrfender
04-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Wow! Thanks for the photo's Bandmaster!!

I'm certainly hooked on this circuit from Dumble. I would love something else by him. If you're ever feeling generous, hook me up with him too!

I own a TR Classic Reverb which is like a SSS meets blackface Fender thing, as well as a Two Rock Eric Gales which I believe is their take on an EL34 HRM. The clean channel on the EG is classic Two Rock cleans sounding like a 6L6. Both are great great amps.

However, I'm still at a loss to describe all the things I'm hearing in the Dumble UP that I'm not hearing in the TR's. There is a HUGE difference in the feel of playing through the amp.

It's like when you have a meal cooked by a top chef. I'm a steak guy and when I go to my favorite steak houses and get their filet......it's sooooo much better than a filet anywhere else. You sit there after the first bite just taking it all in. Now it's the same cut of meat you can buy yourself at the grocery store or any restaurant, but at a great steakhouse it's the recipe that chef has that makes it unique and amazing.

That's been my reaction with this amp. I already have lots of great amps. Something about this one makes me stop and say wow....there is something special going on here.

As Rob said, I would genuinely love to hear a cloner nail this amp in all aspects. It's science so it can be done. I'm sure there are just a lot of specific ingredients from the Master Chef that need to be worked out :stir And it seems like in the case of the Ultra Phonix, less is more.

mrfender
04-07-2013, 03:48 AM
To answer some of the questions I was asked:

The amp was on 2 for volume. It was loud. I live in a high rise and can't get much louder than that.

The speakers in the Dumble 412 are EV12L's. The amp sounds great with 1265's too. I tried it with a 212 and I'll be wiring up a Kerry Wright open back 412 with them soon.

Pedals were Wet Reverb, El Cap delay, and a Berkos Germanium Experience fuzz. In the first video I used a Jan Ray in the middle as a boost.

Mikeroesoft
04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Those clips of your Marshall UP are incredible! I don't believe I have heard anything quite like that, not from anyone.

Mikeroesoft
04-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Nice Clips, that UP Marshall sounds wonderful.

I guess it's time to show some picutres of Dumbles UP I played/own besides the ones I played at Dumbles house.

The Pro Reverb is owned by a friend of mine

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/UltraPhonix_ProReverb_zps9e28f4a0.jpg

The Bandmaster and the Deluxe are mine.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/Bandmaster/UPhonix.jpg

Oh I just found a "phone" picture of my friends (who owns the Pro) new ODS. He took delivery last year. For people who wonder if Alexander is still makin' them. BTW, my friend owned quite a few cloner amps before I hooked him up with Alexander. He sold 'em after taking delivery of the Dumble.
Not saying they were bad, but very different than the Dumble. I understand he preferred the "real" thing.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/00045/DumbleODS_zpsa3d40f0c.jpg

Wow. Thanks so much for sharing.

Mikeroesoft
04-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Mrfender, your playing and your rig are outstanding. Thanks for posting clips...

68 Gold Top
04-07-2013, 08:49 AM

UvEBotlCN9M

The tone from this clip is amazing.

StratStringSlinger
04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
This thread rock! Thanks Dumble UP owners for sharing your pics and info on these amps. Cheers.

traviswalk
04-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Double UP goodness....the top two, bottom is not by HAD. Unfortunately not mine :(

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/traviswalk/NJ%20Gearfest%20-%20October%202011/IMG_6346.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/traviswalk/NJ%20Gearfest%20-%20October%202011/IMG_6338.jpg

Still the best amp I've ever heard in person, but supposedly not a true Ultraphonix as it's a touch different:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/traviswalk/NJ%20Gear%20Fest%20-%20April%202010/IMG_5268.jpg

mrfender
04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Todd! I'm loving all these photo's.

How was the black showman different from the other two, at least to your ears?

voodoosound
04-07-2013, 12:40 PM

The tan bandmaster and showman are outstanding amps. Id love to have those amps back. I could kick myself for selling them.

Mac Daddy 355
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/bduds/1966SM.jpg

wjdunham
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Here are a couple of clips I did this weekend on the UP I'm building for Randy. I'm taking a bit of a risk here since I am clearly not very good at noodling - Ted, I need you man! One with a run-of-the mill '62 reissue Strat, one with a not so run of the mill Gil Yaron burst. Mad Professor delay and Hardwire reverb in front of the amp, just a touch of each. Volume level appropriate for the room, would need to be turned up if playing with a drummer. I answered my question about whether these need a Master vol or not - definitely not...

HYLnKyeAJeI

gR5idONLkxc

Please be kind folks...

Bill

traviswalk
04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
The tan bandmaster and showman are outstanding amps. Id love to have those amps back. I could kick myself for selling them.

And I kick myself for not buying them when I should :bonk

The black showman just had a little bit more of EVERYTHING, which is about the least helpful description I could give you! But the cleans seemed to have more headroom and was the most glorious cleans I've been able to play through, and they kept going to super high headroom levels. And the gain side with humbuckers has such a perfect EQ to it, didn't have to fiddle with a single knob and it was huge rock tones through a Marshall 4x12.

Carl_Tone
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Here are a couple of clips I did this weekend on the UP I'm building for Randy. I'm taking a bit of a risk here since I am clearly not very good at noodling - Ted, I need you man! One with a run-of-the mill '62 reissue Strat, one with a not so run of the mill Gil Yaron burst. Mad Professor delay and Hardwire reverb in front of the amp, just a touch of each. Volume level appropriate for the room, would need to be turned up if playing with a drummer. I answered my question about whether these need a Master vol or not - definitely not...

HYLnKyeAJeI

gR5idONLkxc

Please be kind folks...

Bill

Well despite the camera mic and yt compression...

That amp sounds SPOT ON!

I dare say that even if the other builder had delivered...the product may not have...just taking your greater experience into consideration.

guitarpedaladdict
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
more terrific clips, what a novel thread...

voodoosound
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Well despite the camera mic and yt compression...

That amp sounds SPOT ON!

I dare say that even if the other builder had delivered...the product may not have...just taking your greater experience into consideration.

Its hard to determine if something is"spot on" until you a/b it with the real thing. But I was so impressed with Bills clip I decided to send him a 66 Bassman to get one in my studio to compare. I havent heard a clip of an amp that ever inspired me to buy one other than Alexs amps.

wishkahdaddy
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I have no clue what Bill's build sounds like in comparison to Howard's build (in a room or band context). What I do know is those clips resonate with me. This sounds like an amp that will inspire me to play and I'd be lying if I did not admit that I am very excited to get the amp! ...and...nice playing Bill. I enjoyed listening to your clips!

Mac Daddy 355
04-08-2013, 04:10 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/bduds/Howard_zpsfc5fb780.jpg

les
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/bduds/Howard_zpsfc5fb780.jpg

Me likely!

b3john
04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Here are a couple of clips I did this weekend on the UP I'm building for Randy.

Bill, I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

John

wjdunham
04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Bill, I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

John

Boy, go away for a few hours and my inbox fills up :-)

Cleared out now...
Bill

Carl_Tone
04-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Its hard to determine if something is"spot on" until you a/b it with the real thing. But I was so impressed with Bills clip I decided to send him a 66 Bassman to get one in my studio to compare. I havent heard a clip of an amp that ever inspired me to buy one other than Alexs amps.

Quite the 'endorsement'....considering what you have / had...

voodoosound
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Quite the 'endorsement'....considering what you have / had...

Hardly endorsing anything. Just trying to keep things honest.

Carl_Tone
04-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Hardly endorsing anything. Just trying to keep things honest.

Understood....

while we're talking dumble...although I understand the preamp is for the OD...is it absolutely counter productive to run early breakup power tubes or is there a time and a place for them?

voodoosound
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Understood....

while we're talking dumble...although I understand the preamp is for the OD...is it absolutely counter productive to run early breakup power tubes or is there a time and a place for them?

Honestly. I think that would be self defeating at least in all the amps I own or have played.

SuperReverb2
04-09-2013, 07:55 AM

I have a Sebago Sound DT100 and a Sebago Sound Texas Flood. BOTH amazing amps. The DT100 (#124 build with Mercury Magnetics) is easily the best of the "D" clones I've owned, and the Texas Flood is a serious tone machine in it's own right. The Texas Flood is currently stock (as it came to me from Bill), but I have recently swapped out the stock power tubes in the DT100 for a matched quad of Sylvania ECG STR-415 NOS 6L6GCs and replaced the stock 12AX7 in V2 with a real deal late 50's Mullard. The difference is certainly noticeable.

Already talked to Bill about an Ultra Phonix mod as well. Love the clips, love to concept of the UP. Interestingly enough, I have access to a 66 Bassman as a donor amp as well.

:)

dsmc80
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Understood....

My opinion on this is that yes, it is counter productive.

Mac Daddy 355
04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
trtFb87Ya4k

woof*
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
trtFb87Ya4k

Ahhh....my fist cranked demo!
That was fun! :)

Carl_Tone
04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Honestly. I think that would be self defeating at least in all the amps I own or have played.

My opinion on this is that yes, it is counter productive.

Thanks guys...appreciate it!

68 Gold Top
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
trtFb87Ya4k

Would you know which foot pedal he was playing in the video?

great tone

parker
04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
thought I'd add this one... I'm just turning the guitar volume off and on, and the sustain remains. No pedals. Just the the amp, guitar and switching between the overdrive and clean channel..

4xwb2xzOjgY

voodoosound
04-09-2013, 10:55 PM
thought I'd add this one... I'm just turning the guitar volume off and on, and the sustain remains. No pedals. Just the the amp, guitar and switching between the overdrive and clean channel..

4xwb2xzOjgY

Bassman Yes? I'd love to play that one. Very rich in harmonic content.

les
04-10-2013, 11:45 AM

4xwb2xzOjgY

Man, that sounds so good!

Mac Daddy 355
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM

4xwb2xzOjgY

Parker what is the voicing ? and is it a single channel /stage Amp ?

boogieplaya
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM

For real??
Is this a desired tone? The Marshall was nice but most of the rest are pretty pedantic tones imo....I guess the feel must be awesome because the tone isn't...maybe that's why you don't hear of a lot of pros playing them?

trap
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM

4xwb2xzOjgY

How loud was that in the room?

voodoosound
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
For real??
Is this a desired tone? The Marshall was nice but most of the rest are pretty pedantic tones imo....I guess the feel must be awesome because the tone isn't...maybe that's why you don't hear of a lot of pros playing them?

Ignorance is bliss isn't it :)

boogieplaya
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Ignorance is bliss isn't it :)

You tell me.....

voodoosound
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
You tell me.....

Based on your comment I believe you have told me. Perhaps you have a clip of an amp that's going to school us all on what tone is? I eagerly await. :)

trailrun100s
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
You tell me.....

Based on your comment I believe you have told me. Perhaps you have a clip of an amp that's going to school us all on what tone is? I eagerly await. :)

Don't bite...Troll alert...

Mac Daddy 355
04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
GQS7nzshOvw

trap
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Don't bite...Troll alert...

:agree

Mikeroesoft
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath. People seems to loose sight of the fact that its fricken Youtube! You simply cannot judge an amp based on Youtube clips, I don't care who you are. That being said, I love hearing these UP clips so keep em' coming, I wanna hear more.....:clips

voodoosound
04-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath. People seems to loose sight of the fact that its fricken Youtube! You simply cannot judge an amp based on Youtube clips, I don't care who you are. That being said, I love hearing these UP clips so keep em' coming, I wanna hear more.....:clips

I agree with you a million percent. I have said this for years. Mp3 and YouTube arent going to tell you anything about an amps true character and tone. But if you know what the amp is supposed to be doing based on prior experience you can recognize it's character or voice in other amps if it has it. At least enough to say hey I need to try that one.

parker
04-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Hi Mac Daddy, it's a two channel amp..

Your amp sounds great, I'm familiar with that one too!

parker
04-10-2013, 07:43 PM
For real??

Thanks for the comment... These amps aren't for everyone, but they happen to work for me. So I guess I'm stuck with sucky tone! :)

Mikeroesoft
04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the comment... These amps aren't for everyone, but they happen to work for me. So I guess I'm stuck with sucky tone! :)

Parker, I have tone envy and would like nothing more than to be stuck with that tone! Thanks so much for sharing your amp.

Mac Daddy 355
04-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Lets side track this thread for just one second Dumble 183 , EL34's ODS yeah
Carry on

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/dumble/Dumble183AtLast2.mp3

trap
04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Lets side track this thread for a second Dumble 183 , EL34's ODS yeah
Carry on

HAHA! Yeah Baby!

Mac Daddy 355
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
HAHA! Yeah Baby!

Back at yeah

StratStringSlinger
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Lets side track this thread for just one second Dumble 183 , EL34's ODS yeah
Carry on

That's awesome. 183 just sounds soo good in this context/style of music.

I wish we can hear some ultra phonix in some musical context; who wants to volunteer!?

Mac Daddy 355
04-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I'll bite
The unmistakable tone of a vintage E120 JBL thru a 1/12 no less

007CmdXe92s

Mac Daddy 355
04-11-2013, 07:29 PM
That's awesome.

I wish we can hear some ultra phonix in some musical context; who wants to volunteer!?

uVOauLt4r8A

StratStringSlinger
04-11-2013, 07:39 PM
uVOauLt4r8A

This is good, but I mean someone doing an ultra phonix clip with full backing instruments (drums, bass, another guitar); now that would be awesome.

parker
04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
This is good, but I mean someone doing an ultra phonix clip with full backing instruments (drums, bass, another guitar); now that would be awesome.

Here ye go...

Opzmjzy0tBA

woof*
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Red looks like he lost weight! I didn't recognize him for a sec!
Anyway, that amp sounded good. :)

StratStringSlinger
04-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Here ye go...

Opzmjzy0tBA

Nice, now we're cooking!

Mac Daddy 355
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Here ye go...

Opzmjzy0tBA

:dude

Teleman76
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Theres a difference between the "mod" and the ground up builds but either have been far superior to anything I have owned.. I own 4 (a bandmaster, Showman, Marshall trem and a JMP) of the ground up builds which is why I sold every other "dumble" clone I had including Bludo, Glaswerks, Two Rock, Brownnote. They sound like nothing else. When you push them into overdrive they still retain a great singing thick but defined tone. NO clone I have had (and I have had more than most) has done that.

But thats just my experience.

Rob, out of curiosity, which boutique amp today sounds the closest to a ODS?

Mikeroesoft
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Rob, out of curiosity, which boutique amp today sounds the closest to a ODS?

I think you might find that all original Dumble ODS's sound different from one another, and some more different than others so it may be a hard question to answer.

Teleman76
04-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I think you might find that all original Dumble ODS's sound different from one another, and some more different than others so it may be a hard question to answer.

True. I really like Glaswerks. Has "that sound".

Mac Daddy 355
04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Would you know which foot pedal he was playing in the video?

great tone

Andy's pedals , not sure which

68 Gold Top
04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Andy's pedals , not sure which

Thanks

wishkahdaddy
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
What are you Ultra Phonix guys liking in your amps for pre amp and power amp tubes?

Mac Daddy 355
04-21-2013, 10:54 AM
7581's
Feel ,Tone & Clarity

wishkahdaddy
04-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Great answer! LOL

I just so happen to have a NOS pair of 7581's sitting in the studio. Bill from Sebago is sending me the amp this week and said it sounded really nice with el34's. With that said, I run a two amp system live and really like to mix an el34 based amp and a 6l6 based amp. I'll try the 7581's just to see what my ears think. When you blend amps it's not always about making each amp sound their best. It's about voicing each amp so that, together, they make one huge and glorious sound.

Any preamp favorites to try? In the end I always use my own ears. It is, however, nice to get other's perspectives as a starting point.

Thank you for the info. It is appreciated.
Randy

7581's
Feel ,Tone & Clarity

dsmc80
04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Great answer! LOL

I just so happen to have a NOS pair of 7581's sitting in the studio. Bill from Sebago is sending me the amp this week and said it sounded really nice with el34's. With that said, I run a two amp system live and really like to mix an el34 based amp and a 6l6 based amp. I'll try the 7581's just to see what my ears think. When you blend amps it's not always about making each amp sound their best. It's about voicing each amp so that, together, they make one huge and glorious sound.

Any preamp favorites to try? In the end I always use my own ears. It is, however, nice to get other's perspectives as a starting point.

Thank you for the info. It is appreciated.
Randy

Randy-
Yes it sure is all about your own ears. My two amps are different regarding what preamp tubes seem to be best. My first Ultraphonix was a direct buy at the time and Howard set them up with all RCAa early 60s blackplates. I still have those in that amp and they sound amazing. The Bassman I have was bought second hand and had a mixture of Sylvanias and GEs. I have swapped some of the preamp tubes in that one. It uses Tungsram ECC83s in all spots except the PI, which is using a Mullard 12AT7.

YMMV

wishkahdaddy
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Are you referring to 6l6 Blackplates in your first build too? Just curious how many of these things are el34 based or 6l6 based. Not that it matters one bit with how I will run mine. I'm honestly just curious how other guy's have theirs set up.
Randy-
Yes it sure is all about your own ears. My two amps are different regarding what preamp tubes seem to be best. My first Ultraphonix was a direct buy at the time and Howard set them up with all RCAa early 60s blackplates. I still have those in that amp and they sound amazing. The Bassman I have was bought second hand and had a mixture of Sylvanias and GEs. I have swapped some of the preamp tubes in that one. It uses Tungsram ECC83s in all spots except the PI, which is using a Mullard 12AT7.

YMMV

Tone Loco
04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Here ye go...

Opzmjzy0tBAYeah! Like you can almost feel some of the notes being squeezed out. Not compressed just milking them. Man. What a sound, and I bet it feels great. I'd be willing to sell most all my guitars and amps for one of those. Still not sure I'd have enough though. Somebody PM me how much he wants for one? I have a red knob twin in a head cab, are those transformers OK for these rebuilds?

dsmc80
04-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Are you referring to 6l6 Blackplates in your first build too? Just curious how many of these things are el34 based or 6l6 based. Not that it matters one bit with how I will run mine. I'm honestly just curious how other guy's have theirs set up.

Sorry I was answering as to what is in the preamps.

I am using Sylvania 6L6GC STR387s in both amps for power tubes.

The only Ultraphonix I've seen/heard not using 6L6s was an acquaintance who gave a Musicman RD100 as a donor. That amp had 6CA7s and those were kept after the conversion. That may be the best sounding Ultraphonix amp I have ever heard. For that matter, maybe better than any ground up Dumble I've heard and played as well. The gentleman who owns it lurks here. Come on out and post some pics and clips! :aok

wishkahdaddy
04-21-2013, 08:50 PM
That's what I thought but just wanted to clarify. I'll try those 7581's that I have and see what I think. Again, I blend amps and have 2 el34 based amps that I absolutely love. I like to blend one of those with a 6l6 amp. Right now I use a modded Bassman and I absolutely love the tone. I really would like 2 el34 based amps and 2 6l6 but we shall see. (I like to set up 2 amps in the studio and 2 amps for the live rig...)I really like Bill's clips (Sebago) with the el34's in it so who knows? All the "theory" and guesswork goes right out the window once you start using your ears so that is what I will do. Knowing so many guys run them as 6l6 amps will push me to at least try it. I actually thought these builds were predominately el34 amps, shows you what I know! LOL

Thanks again. It's really cool when guy's take time out of their day to answer questions from a complete stranger. It's always appreciated.

Randy

Sorry I was answering as to what is in the preamps.

I am using Sylvania 6L6GC STR387s in both amps for power tubes.

The only Ultraphonix I've seen/heard not using 6L6s was an acquaintance who gave a Musicman RD100 as a donor. That amp had 6CA7s and those were kept after the conversion. That may be the best sounding Ultraphonix amp I have ever heard. For that matter, maybe better than any ground up Dumble I've heard and played as well. The gentleman who owns it lurks here. Come on out and post some pics and clips! :aok

dsmc80
04-21-2013, 08:58 PM
That's what I thought but just wanted to clarify. I'll try those 7581's that I have and see what I think. Again, I blend amps and have 2 el34 based amps that I absolutely love. I like to blend one of those with a 6l6 amp. Right now I use a modded Bassman and I absolutely love the tone. I really would like 2 el34 based amps and 2 6l6 but we shall see. (I like to set up 2 amps in the studio and 2 amps for the live rig...)I really like Bill's clips (Sebago) with the el34's in it so who knows? All the "theory" and guesswork goes right out the window once you start using your ears so that is what I will do. Knowing so many guys run them as 6l6 amps will push me to at least try it. I actually thought these builds were predominately el34 amps, shows you what I know! LOL

Thanks again. It's really cool when guy's take time out of their day to answer questions from a complete stranger. It's always appreciated.

Randy

I was told the UP Marshalls were EL34 builds, but I've never had my hands on one to confirm. Someone else here can probably confirm that.

mrfender
04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
My Marshall UP is EL34. But as you can hear in the clips I posted in this thread, it has somewhat of a 6L6 tone.

voodoosound
04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Alex very rarely changes the design of the amp he just maximizes it to it's fullest in regards to UPs. A 6l6 amp will always use 6l6s. Likewise el34 amps will always use 34s.

wishkahdaddy
04-21-2013, 10:54 PM
That makes sense but I was told there were a good number of UP builds of a Fender circuit that were el34's? Again, I'm simply going off of conversations with others so my assumption is just that. Odd that others felt many UP builds were el34's...

voodoosound
04-21-2013, 11:46 PM
That makes sense but I was told there were a good number of UP builds of a Fender circuit that were el34's? Again, I'm simply going off of conversations with others so my assumption is just that. Odd that others felt many UP builds were el34's...

Well I know the amp that you paid for to be built before Bill. If youre basing any of your info of of what he said there's no question why you would be confused. Honestly nothing that guy posted that I read was consistent with the man or any of his amps at least in my experience. I have been in the same room with about 14 UP examples and have owned half as many. I'm not saying it's impossible but I wouldn't base any opinions off of any information that is not direct experience.

wishkahdaddy
04-22-2013, 03:09 AM
First of all, Bill made me that amp with Zero labor cost as he offered to build me the amp after he heard my story of How Greg D Clark of Funky Munk amps ripped me off. I talked to a decent amount of people this past year who mentioned UP builds off of a Fender circuit to be el34's. I know Greg really was adamant that the one he was building for me to be an el34. This was because the Dumble UP that he got inside of and cloned was an el34 build, direct from Dumblw himself. I get it's hearsay. But I did talk to others who played one that said the same thing. I researched these amps for over a year before I pursued one.
Bill added some features that were MY request. A loop and a master volume on the back. Crank the master and don't use the loop and the amp is a straight up UP style build.
I'm not saying this amp is a true Dumble UP build. I get it. Im saying it's going to be a really, really nice amp and I got it all done for the price of a chassis! :)

voodoosound
04-22-2013, 12:15 PM
First of all, Bill made me that amp with Zero labor cost as he offered to build me the amp after he heard my story of How Greg D Clark of Funky Munk amps ripped me off. I talked to a decent amount of people this past year who mentioned UP builds off of a Fender circuit to be el34's. I know Greg really was adamant that the one he was building for me to be an el34. This was because the Dumble UP that he got inside of and cloned was an el34 build, direct from Dumblw himself. I get it's hearsay. But I did talk to others who played one that said the same thing. I researched these amps for over a year before I pursued one.
Bill added some features that were MY request. A loop and a master volume on the back. Crank the master and don't use the loop and the amp is a straight up UP style build.
I'm not saying this amp is a true Dumble UP build. I get it. Im saying it's going to be a really, really nice amp and I got it all done for the price of a chassis! :)

I think you misunderstood my post and we are talking 2 different things. I agree with 100% that Bills amp will sound Great. That's just based on the clips he posted. And again as I said I have enough confidence in that clip alone that I'm sending him a time capsule example of a 66 Bassman.

My post was more in regards to your other builder. Again as stated and as I have actual physical proof from others who have actually bought real UPs from me. A UP is nothing more than maximizing a standard amp to the best amp it can be according to what Alexander Dumble determines that to be.

From the other builder before Bill. Nothing I have ever seen him post let me to believe he had ever been in the same room as a REAL UP.

Really that's neither hear nor there. My point was to offer real world experience with these amps. I have owned Marshall UPs of which I only know of 3 floating around and multiple examples of fender UPs. None of the fenders had El34s. Doesn't mean an owner didn't decide to switch them later however I would be really surprised if Alexander built it that way. Stranger things have happened though. I'll I'd say is I'd really like to actually see it with my own eyes.

I think your gonna love your amp from Bill at sebago.

voodoosound
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
With that being said this will b the last time I respond in a Dumble amp or clone thread.

wishkahdaddy
04-22-2013, 02:27 PM
I think that's a shame you will no longer post on these threads. You have a wealth of knowledge! Best
Randy

StratStringSlinger
04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
With that being said this will b the last time I respond in a Dumble amp or clone thread.

I usually skim or skip the bs posts and read the posts from people that have demonstrated knowledge about a particular subject. Your insight/experience with amps have been very useful. I hope you reconsider and continue to post on Dumble threads.