PDA

View Full Version : George Lynch's gear - closeup pics!

Ice Cream Man
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I've been dying to share these great shots I got of George Lynch's gear at his show in Buford, Georgia (metro Atlanta) earlier this week! It was a really small club and only one other audience member was between me and the stage, so I raised my camera over my head and got a couple of nice ones.

Pedal-wise, I'm seeing: Strymon "El Capistan" analog delay simulator, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss OC-2 Octaver, Strymon "Blue Sky" reverb, something with lipstick writing that I can't identify (Seek and something? Looks handmade), a A/B box that is NOT his signature Morley and I can't make out the brand, Trans-something; MXR 1974 Handwired Phase 90 Reissue, Cusack V2 Tube Screamer in plain metal with red chickenhead knobs, and what looks like a conventional Dunlop Crybaby Wah.

Amps: Very obvious. Soldano SLO-100 and a Randall Lynch Box LB103, with Hiwatt and Marshall cabinets, respectively.

Guitars: The guitars were the old standby tiger guitar for 90% of the show, the skeleton guitar (it's called Mr. Scary, right?), and he also had a mahogany-looking guitar with the tiger stripes carved in, and the baby blue ESP Telecaster. Even moving to the Tele, his sound didn't seem to change much.

I had overestimated traffic and got there hours early so I got to stand on the sidewalk and hear the soundcheck inside. It sounded great, but right before show time, the tech brought the pedal board back out and plugged it up, and suddenly there was a buzz that hadn't been there before. The guy checked the amps and then tapped a pick around all the pedal connections, and it seemed to be coming from the cable into the MXR. He got it toned down and the band played just fine. Near the end, though, they were doing a bluesy breakdown and suddenly something went BFFFVVV! Mick Brown on drums made it funny by saying, "He's a great guitar player, folks! Really!" They got it under control but there was still a noticeable buzz, and so as Oni tried to get back into improvising some blues lyrics, Brown says, "Pay no attention to that noise!," which was hysterical again. I went into the Lynch show and came out a Mick Brown fan, just because the guy's such a great MC!

Technical glitch aside, George played everything studio-perfect. He keeps his eyes closed a lot and sort of puckers his lips and seems to really get into a zone and just hits everything dead on. He makes the stuff look easy, but then you get your guitar at home and remember you're still stumbling on Angus Young licks! A real high point was when he came front and center to the edge of the stage and played "Mr. Scary" just a couple of feet from my face. That was an incredible moment. At 16 I never would've thought it possible.

I wish I could tell you the name of the very first band that played (three opening acts!). They were some local guys in their mid-20's who were stunning. The guitarist sounded like "Frank Gambale plays Jimmy Page," and the singer could keep up with Steve Marriott easily. The drummer killed it, too, but I didn't catch the name!

Great show! Hope they come back through again!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/arthoward/pedalboard.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/arthoward/Lynch018.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/arthoward/Lynch052.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/arthoward/try3.jpg

Jimmy B
02-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Great review and pics, thanks for sharing. Lynch is one of my faves and it is so great to hear he is still playing well.

Omega
02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
The a/b box is a Framptone.

donnievaz
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Amps: Very obvious. Soldano SLO-100 and a Randall Lynch Box LB103, with Hiwatt and Marshall cabinets, respectively.

I just saw him last Friday in Springfield VA. and what's not so obvious are the two Friedman Marsha heads that he uses behind the Randall and Soldano. BTW, the Soldano was used by his tech/rhythm player. I don't think he actually uses the Randall at all.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/donnievaz/59ab7f25.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/donnievaz/fc658228.jpg

h9NISyViNBM

Drew W
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I've been dying to share these great shots I got of George Lynch's gear at his show in Buford, Georgia (metro Atlanta) earlier this week! It was a really small club and only one other audience member was between me and the stage, so I raised my camera over my head and got a couple of nice ones.

Pedal-wise, I'm seeing: Strymon "El Capistan" analog delay simulator, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss OC-2 Octaver, Strymon "Blue Sky" reverb, something with lipstick writing that I can't identify (Seek and something? Looks handmade), a A/B box that is NOT his signature Morley and I can't make out the brand, Trans-something; MXR 1974 Handwired Phase 90 Reissue, Cusack V2 Tube Screamer in plain metal with red chickenhead knobs, and what looks like a conventional Dunlop Crybaby Wah.

Guitars: The guitars were the old standby tiger guitar for 90% of the show, the skeleton guitar (it's called Mr. Scary, right?), and he also had a mahogany-looking guitar with the tiger stripes carved in, and the baby blue ESP Telecaster. Even moving to the Tele, his sound didn't seem to change much.

I had overestimated traffic and got there hours early so I got to stand on the sidewalk and hear the soundcheck inside. It sounded great, but right before show time, the tech brought the pedal board back out and plugged it up, and suddenly there was a buzz that hadn't been there before. The guy checked the amps and then tapped a pick around all the pedal connections, and it seemed to be coming from the cable into the MXR. He got it toned down and the band played just fine. Near the end, though, they were doing a bluesy breakdown and suddenly something went BFFFVVV! Mick Brown on drums made it funny by saying, "He's a great guitar player, folks! Really!" They got it under control but there was still a noticeable buzz, and so as Oni tried to get back into improvising some blues lyrics, Brown says, "Pay no attention to that noise!," which was hysterical again. I went into the Lynch show and came out a Mick Brown fan, just because the guy's such a great MC!

Technical glitch aside, George played everything studio-perfect. He keeps his eyes closed a lot and sort of puckers his lips and seems to really get into a zone and just hits everything dead on. He makes the stuff look easy, but then you get your guitar at home and remember you're still stumbling on Angus Young licks! A real high point was when he came front and center to the edge of the stage and played "Mr. Scary" just a couple of feet from my face. That was an incredible moment. At 16 I never would've thought it possible.

I wish I could tell you the name of the very first band that played (three opening acts!). They were some local guys in their mid-20's who were stunning. The guitarist sounded like "Frank Gambale plays Jimmy Page," and the singer could keep up with Steve Marriott easily. The drummer killed it, too, but I didn't catch the name!

Great show! Hope they come back through again!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/arthoward/pedalboard.jpg

How did they get the pedal board to stick to the ceiling like that? :)

Nice review.

smallbutmighty
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
How did they get the pedal board to stick to the ceiling like that? :)

See...and all along I though velcro was just for the top of the pedal board.

I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Lance
02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, that guitar is called the J Frog Skull n' Bones. Mr. Scary was a Kramer Baretta.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/lynch.htm

Cool pics! I wanted to catch them in Petaluma a couple months ago, but had a prior commitment I couldn't get out of.

Bankston
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Actually, that guitar is called the J Frog Skull n' Bones. Mr. Scary was a Kramer Baretta.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/lynch.htm

Cool pics! I wanted to catch them in Petaluma a couple months ago, but had a prior commitment I couldn't get out of.

The original J. Frog guitar was called "Mom." It's hanging in a Hard Rock Cafe somewhere last I heard. Pretty sure he tours with an ESP replica of the guitar.

It wouldn't be a Lynch show without gear blowing up. I've seen the guy at least a half dozen times (Dokken, Lynch Mob, solo) and it seems something always breaks down.

With Mick on drums, that's 3/4ths the original Lynch Mob lineup. They're playing Houston tomorrow night and I plan to check it out.

Ice Cream Man
02-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes, it was a very small stage, so to minimize the pedal board footprint to zero it was attached to the ceiling. It was tough to do some of the two-handed tapping and change settings at the same time, but Lynch was good enough to pull it off.

No, of course I've flipped the photo so you could read the labels more easily, you silly boys! ;)

I've seen him endorsing those Marsha heads on You Tube and apparently he used them in Virginia, but in Georgia the Soldano and Randall were backed right up to the wall, nothing behind them. The bathroom was down that little hall to the left and nothing was hiding in the hallway, either. When the buzz started the first thing the tech did was check the connection between those heads and cabs. (Did you think the tech looked a hell of a lot like Eminem?) I wish I had paid more attention to how he used the pedals, but it seemed like somehow he was using the Octaver as a volume and treble boost for the solos?

Just found out who the first opening act was: Marty Manous Band. Check out this guy's voice! Guitarist does a nice job of dropping in some Eric Johnson-y stuff in the solo, too (sorry, embedding disabled, but worth the click):

kgJZ9xXjUJY

xntrick
02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
very cool, GL is a killer player..i suppose his Randall module emulates his tone which is why he doesn't have to use it himself...

freedom's door
02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Cool pics. Interesting to see that he's finally retired his prototype Fulltone Deja-Vibe.

wes37
02-13-2011, 06:11 AM
You have served your TGP brethren well...good...good!

Bankston
02-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Saw Lynch Mob last night and it was a good show. I was really impressed with Robbie Crane. Solid bass player and outstanding backing vocals.

It was cool seeing George and Mick playing together again. They've been jamming together since they were kids on the Sunset Strip and you could really hear how locked in they were. At one point George messed up the intro to a song and Mick shouted into the mic, "See what happens when you get old!"

True to form, he started the first song, "She's So Evil but She's Mine" playing the Tiger but something crapped out and he had to switch immediately to Haji, which he played most of the night. But he was on fire, playing really well. His phrasing is just off the charts good. One thing I noticed is that George picks with his fingers a lot more than he used to, which adds even more flavor to his phrasing.

All the guys seemed to be having a good time on stage.

Picaflor
02-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I was never into the whole 80's hair band scene, but George Lynch always seemed to me to have a little more feel, a little more technical ability, and a little more knowledge than most of the others in that era. Actually, I think the only better guitarist I heard during the 80's than George Lynch was EVH.

BryanMatthews
02-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I was never into the whole 80's hair band scene, but George Lynch always seemed to me to have a little more feel, a little more technical ability, and a little more knowledge than most of the others in that era. Actually, I think the only better guitarist I heard during the 80's than George Lynch was EVH.

warren demartini :bow

Rothbardian
02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for sharing

gpro34
02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Seems Lynch may be spending some time here at TGP...