PDA

View Full Version : Pedals to stack with Rat

ahcleinad
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
What are some good pedals to stack with the Rat? There are times I just need a little bit more push and gain, but my SD1 isnt doing the job.

peterjh85
02-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I really like how the rat stacks with other pedals. My personal favorite combinations:

Rat->Timmy
Fulldrive 2->Rat

Try those out and hold on! ;)

candletears7
02-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Tubescreamer type pedals (including the SD-1) are magical with the Rat circuit.
The key is where the gain is set on each pedal, in order to maximise the effect of each pedal.
You need a loud cleanish amp - the more clean head room the better. Get the Rat's volume at 2 or 3 oclock - and keep the gain around noon. Tone just about equal with the high end response of your amp.
Set your TS/SD-1 up similarly, but probaby with less gain (around 10 oclock, and up the volume on this 1st pedal). You should have 2 distinct sounds now - the TS/SD-1 for the pushed midrange and a bit of crunch, and the Rat for the next step up in terms of gain. Too much gain on the Rat you'll get too much compression and low end flub.
With the TS/SD-1 hitting the Rat, both stacked it should be awesome. Those 2 into a Mosfet booster will just slam your amp with sweet glorious and articulate distortion.

codetocontra
02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Rat into a Russian Muff is a recipe for a MONSTER.

On the other hand, I find my Musket into my Rat to be blistering hot but not overly saturated.

KevinFinn
02-12-2011, 11:39 PM
I only like to stack my Rat with a Tubescreamer.

Tubescreamer first - gain between 9 and 10.

Rat second - gain around noon.

The P-Man
02-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Zvex BOR sounds great after the Rat. The bottom-heaviness of the BOR fills out the sound of the Rat. For me, it was a better combo than with the Timmy. Plus, with the BoR you get an amazing boost as well.:dude

Aslan
02-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Lately I use the following with good results:

Garage tone Drivetrain > Keeley nodded Rat > Orange Retro 50 amp

musickbox
02-13-2011, 07:42 AM
I really like how the rat stacks with other pedals. My personal favorite combinations:

Rat->Timmy
Fulldrive 2->Rat

I totally agree. I've used the timmy and my 80's Rat for about four years and I love it.

Agitator
02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Barber LTD -> Rat can sound really nice. I gather the LTD is a TS-based circuit.

Also, simply juicing the Rat with a clean boost can yield a great result.

ahcleinad
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like a TS-based circuit works well with the Rat.

Another question that I was wondering on, how do the pedal mentioned above also stack with the Hotcake? I was planning to also get a Hotcake to cover medium gain and was wondering if there was a pedal that stacks well with the Rat and the Hotcake.

pacomc79
02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Red Rooster Booster.

blasius01
02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I stack mine with a little green wonder and its amazing

89strat
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I like a tube screamer in front of the rat with the gain low and level up. But when I want something after the RAT, for a lead solo boost, I like the sparkle Drive. This way I'm adding some of that tube screamer midrange and compression but I'm dialing in some of the RAT back in. Works great.

CharlieK
02-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Rat into a Russian Muff is a recipe for a MONSTER.

On the other hand, I find my Musket into my Rat to be blistering hot but not overly saturated.

Yes this. A Rat at minimal drive into any Muff sounds great. The Rat provides a bit of mid boost.

Jahn
02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I've been told that a RAT into a Tim is a thing of Gilmour. Gonna give that a go when the Tim comes in.

musickbox
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
I've been told that a RAT into a Tim is a thing of Gilmour. Gonna give that a go when the Tim comes in.

I get a lot of Gilmour type sounds using my Rat and Timmy. Seriously one of my favorite combos I've ever tried.

tjs
02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Another question that I was wondering on, how do the pedal mentioned above also stack with the Hotcake? I was planning to also get a Hotcake to cover medium gain and was wondering if there was a pedal that stacks well with the Rat and the Hotcake.

Nels Cline of Wilco uses a Rat, Hotcake, and Klon for his (non-fuzz) dirt tones and he gets a bunch of great tones out of them.

imguitardan
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Agreed with many, a TS into a Rat is where it's at.

rico1204
02-15-2011, 03:49 PM
FD2>Rat gets my vote.

89strat
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Agreed with many, a TS into a Rat is where it's at.

I like that for a searing lead tone. The only problem I have with it is that I don't get much in the way of volume boost for solos. But it does sound great.

coldfingaz
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I totally agree. I've used the timmy and my 80's Rat for about four years and I love it.

:agree

I frequently run an '86 smallbox into a Timmy... absolutely kickass.

MarkJNZ
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Into what amp? I run a fender hot rod deluxe with rat, tubescreamer and hotcake.

Mr. Limbic
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
how do you have your timmy set with the rat? timmy after it for eq options?

kirs
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
BYOC OD2 -> Rat is amazing.

ahcleinad
02-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Sounds like a TS pedal into a Rat gets a lot of love here. I would love to try out the Timmy/Tim but as for now I think that is way out of my price range.

I am currently running an AC30 with Weber Blue Dogs. I love the sound of the Rat but need something for like lead stuff. How is a TS pedal after the Rat instead of before? I tried running my SD1 after my Rat and it sounded nothing like the Rat.

89strat
02-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Sounds like a TS pedal into a Rat gets a lot of love here. I would love to try out the Timmy/Tim but as for now I think that is way out of my price range.

I am currently running an AC30 with Weber Blue Dogs. I love the sound of the Rat but need something for like lead stuff. How is a TS pedal after the Rat instead of before? I tried running my SD1 after my Rat and it sounded nothing like the Rat.

I don't like it as much after the RAT, which is why I use the sparkle drive after the RAT. It allows me to blend some of the RAT back in with the TS sound. Just putting a tubescreamer after the rat sort of overtakes the overall tone of the RAT and sort of tames it.

stromero01
02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Swart treble booster into a Rat is a great combination.

fr8_trane
02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Rat->Timmy
Fulldrive 2->Rat

Rat -> Timmy rules!. Gilmour lead tones, sustain and Feedback on demand. Just an all-time great stack.

fr8_trane
02-16-2011, 07:57 AM
I like that for a searing lead tone. The only problem I have with it is that I don't get much in the way of volume boost for solos. But it does sound great.

Well if you're kicking in a lead boost pedal in front of another OD pedal you will not get any volume boost just more gain.

I'm not a fan of this approach. I like my lead boosts last so that the only thing thats seeing a hotter signal is my amp. In this case I would set the TS to low gain with a volume boost and kick it on after the rat. That would give me a gain, mid AND volume boost.

89strat
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Well if you're kicking in a lead boost pedal in front of another OD pedal you will not get any volume boost just more gain.

I'm not a fan of this approach. I like my lead boosts last so that the only thing thats seeing a hotter signal is my amp. In this case I would set the TS to low gain with a volume boost and kick it on after the rat. That would give me a gain, mid AND volume boost.

...and mud.

Even at the lowest settings, it's introducing more mids and compression that's sort of masking the RAT.

Actually since I've been reading over these posts I decided to try some different things. I always kind of liked the way the OCD sounded before the RAT, but now I just spent the morning trying it after the RAT as a lead boost, in LP setting with the drive all the way down and the Level at about 3:00, tone at noon, combined with the rat. I think this may be my new setup.

alberob
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I run my Rat into a Klon and it sounds killer.

ahcleinad
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't like it as much after the RAT, which is why I use the sparkle drive after the RAT. It allows me to blend some of the RAT back in with the TS sound. Just putting a tubescreamer after the rat sort of overtakes the overall tone of the RAT and sort of tames it.

Is that because the Sparkle Drive has the clean knob?

89strat
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Is that because the Sparkle Drive has the clean knob?

Yes. If you have the RAT on and the sparkle drive on after it, you can blend back in some of the rat. The sound is similar to having two amps going. One with the RAT and the other with a RAT and Tubescreamer. You can crank up the blend knob and have just the RAT boosted, or add more drive so you'll have more tube screamer/RAT qualities.

ahcleinad
02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Well I just bought a Sparkle Drive today so hopefully it'll sound good with my RAT!

Scott Naylor
02-18-2011, 04:21 AM
Pork Loin > Rat
Rat > C'bread DLS

Van Leeuwen
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Great topic to reborn!

Rat into Rat: Deucetone Rat ftw.

Jules-RM
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Nice bump ;)

Rat into Timmy/Barber Ltd SR works great.

Lately I've become more of a fan of the Turbo Rat, I have two clones (Arc, Pedal Projects) both with Rat/Turbo Rat toggle switches, imo they stack better than regular Rats. At least into an AC30.

Prince
01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I run a MXR COD (basically a Tubescreamer) into a Rat and love it. COD with vol 9, gain 9, tone 1. Rat Vol 2, gain 11, filter 2. Love the combo. Going to get a Soul Food to put after the Rat and COD to act more as a slightly dirty boost. Hoping Rat>SF, COD>SF, and COD>Rat>SF will all be good combos.