PDA

View Full Version : Eminence Cannabis Rex vs Canis Major

earthmud
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
I have a Canis major on the way and was wondering if anyone had compared the two? I also have a Forte 3d 2x12 on the way and am planning on running one crex and one C.major for a fender rig but am also looking for advice on what other speakers pair well with the Crex and or Cmajor. I'm trying to a find good ceramic and alnico mix.

Thanks in advance, J

wizard333
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Dunno about the Canis but I have compared the C. Rex to the Tone Tubby Alnico.....and liked the C Rex a whole lot better. Both were well broken in.

earthmud
02-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have two Crex's at the moment and agree that they are killer sounding speakers. Glad to hear you like them better than the TT's. I've always wondered about the TT's and how they sound. Dunno about the Canis but I have compared the C. Rex to the Tone Tubby Alnico.....and liked the C Rex a whole lot better. Both were well broken in.

Custom Deluxe
02-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I have both: Canis Major in a '65 Princeton Reverb and Cannibus Rex in a '67 Deluxe Reverb. I agree they are excellent speakers.

I think I may swap them around for it seems (although the PR is giving up 10 watts) that the ceramic breaks up a little easier than the alnico CM. But neither speaker is anywhere near broken in.

The CM sounds a little warmer than the CR at this time. The CR has great "crunch" when pushed but also sounds nice.

jamison162
02-16-2011, 08:58 AM
The CM is a very warm speaker, not dark of muffled by any means. I've just traded my CM for a Red Fang. The CM sounds VERY close to my 25w Scumback M75 actually, but it a tad darker with less high end detail.

earthmud
02-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I have both: Canis Major in a '65 Princeton Reverb and Cannibus Rex in a '67 Deluxe Reverb. I agree they are excellent speakers.

I think I may swap them around for it seems (although the PR is giving up 10 watts) that the ceramic breaks up a little easier than the alnico CM. But neither speaker is anywhere near broken in.

The CM sounds a little warmer than the CR at this time. The CR has great "crunch" when pushed but also sounds nice.

Great! I'm hoping the two paired in a 2x12 will sound great together. I was worried the two mixed might be a little dark. I will be running them into either a BF bandmaster or a SF vibrolux so glad to hear they work well in Fender amps.

earthmud
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Warmth is just what I'm looking for and glad to hear they are not to dark.My rig is Tele's into fenders so a little treble roll of should be perfect.The CM is a very warm speaker, not dark of muffled by any means. I've just traded my CM for a Red Fang. The CM sounds VERY close to my 25w Scumback M75 actually, but it a tad darker with less high end detail.

Custom Deluxe
02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Warmth is just what I'm looking for and glad to hear they are not to dark.My rig is Tele's into fenders so a little treble roll of should be perfect.

Same hear. It really is a great combo to make those Tele/Fender amps ice picky highs more musical.

earthmud
02-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Bump for any more opinions on other speakers that pair well with the Crex or Cmajor?

G Man
02-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I really think it depends on the amp. I have both a CRex and an alnico Tone Tubby and prefer the TT with my amp, although I liked the CRex better through a BJr I ran it in for awhile.

Mr.Strat
08-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I was interested in getting the Cmajor to replace the v30's in my Badcat,but am debating whether they are too dark :(

Mojo Filter
08-01-2011, 08:29 AM
has anyone tried mixing a crex and a swamp thang?
i've been thinking about doing that in a 412

candid_x
08-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Fwiw, I mix a C Rex with heavy ceramic magnet G12-65 variant, made by Pure 64, and love how they compliment one another and blend seamlessly.

I like the C Rex, as it continues (and continues!) to break in after a fair pounding, but I think it will always have that soft textured edge or attack, which though it sounds nice in its own right, I miss the crisper attack of paper cones. The beautifully voiced SSll delivers that more detailed finished, while reckoning with distortion in 12-65 style.

I think I'm done with alnico mag speakers. Too unpredictable when thrown into a live band mix.

billyguitar
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I bought the TT ceramic 40/40 because it had a 60 oz magnet instead of the C Rex's 38 oz.. Using it in my Evans jazz amp it is an awesome speaker. I thought for the extra $20 I wanted to get all I could. I did have an alnico TT in this same amp and it was also very nice. I would like to a/b the TT against the CR but I like the TT enough that I don't want to change again!

jcshirke
02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
I have a CRex, and, although I like it, I find that it's a bit dark compared to the alnico speakers I've tried with this particular amp. I just put a new Eminence EJ speaker in this amp, and it sounds terrific. The only trouble is this amp makes most of the speakers I use in it produce some cone cry. I was wondering if maybe the Cmajor was a bit brighter than the CRex? I know hemp cone speakers won't cry in this amp, so maybe I should give it a try?

ianb
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
has anyone tried mixing a crex and a swamp thang? i've been thinking about doing that in a 412

I personally wouldn't recommend that combination, that's a LOT of low end. I prefer the combination C-Rex with a slightly brighter speaker, such as the Texas Heat or Wizard.

Billion81
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
In the Rivera Clip the Canis Major sounds really nice. Seems like it's somewhere between a Gold and a P12n..

I was thinking about trying those in a 4X12 maybe with a Ceramic of some kind in an X Pattern. Golds are my main speaker today for sure.

JPPMiZeYMVo

Mojo Filter
02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend that combination, that's a LOT of low end. I prefer the combination C-Rex with a slightly brighter speaker, such as the Texas Heat or Wizard.

what about the difference in sensitivity?