PDA

View Full Version : P90s


KenSea
05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
I am considering a Grosh guitar that has P90s. Everyone says they are great for blues, but yet I cant think of many blues players using P90s. For that matter I cant think of a lot of players that use P90s, it seems its either humbuckers or low output single coils such that strats and teles have.
Your experience with p90s would be of intererst.

Thanks!

e-z
05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
I have a Les Paul Special w/ p-90s. It's "throatier" than a guitar Strat or Tele-style pick-ups but it is "stringier" than a guitar with humbuckers.

hemlock
06-01-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm a recent convert to the P90s. To me, they combine the best of both worlds- the clarity and articulation of single coils with the little bit of beefiness of humbuckers. It's a different voice for sure.

Zane
06-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Early Freddie King recordings ,he used a Les Paul with P-90's.Checkout the sound clips of the new Lentz guitar


Lentz with P-90 (http://www.lentzguitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219)

That one has a P-90 in the neck ,& Tele pup in the bridge. Can't wait till they get clips of the guitars with 2 P-90's.
These are Scott's new built from the ground up P-90's.

bbarnard
06-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by KenSea
I am considering a Grosh guitar that has P90s. Everyone says they are great for blues, but yet I cant think of many blues players using P90s. For that matter I cant think of a lot of players that use P90s, it seems its either humbuckers or low output single coils such that strats and teles have.
Your experience with p90s would be of intererst.

Thanks!

How about:
Junior Watson
Sean Costello
Charlie Baty (on some tunes)
Duke Robillard
Eric Clapton (L5 with P90s on They're Red Hot on the Robert Johnson DVD/CD)
Nick Curran
Jimmie Vaughan (when he plays an archtop instead of the Strat)

Oh yeah and T-Bone Walker for quite some time

How's that?:)

Jon Silberman
06-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by KenSea
I am considering a Grosh guitar that has P90s. Everyone says they are great for blues, but yet I cant think of many blues players using P90s. For that matter I cant think of a lot of players that use P90s, it seems its either humbuckers or low output single coils such that strats and teles have.
Your experience with p90s would be of intererst.

Thanks!

Two thoughts. One, you can play blues on anything, it ain't the guitar. Two, if what you say is accurate factually (I'm not sure it is, but assuming arguendo that it is) what a great opportunity for you to choose the road less travelled towards your own unique sound.

KenSea
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Jon Silberman
Two thoughts. One, you can play blues on anything, it ain't the guitar. Two, if what you say is accurate factually (I'm not sure it is, but assuming arguendo that it is) what a great opportunity for you to choose the road less travelled towards your own unique sound.

Point well taken, just trying to learn from others. Generally there is a reason why groups tend to use certain things....

peachead1071
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Before he went to LP classics in the '90s, Luther Allison used a P-90 goldtop exclusively

Mr.Hanky
06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The Who, Live at Leeds.

P-90's ROCK too cause sure as sheet ain't blues.

56Tweed
06-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Even Mike Bloomfield played a '50s Goldtop with soapies... :eek:

:dude :dude

Mike

coldinWI
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I've seen pictures of Hubert Sumlin (Howlin' Wolf) with an early gold top with a trapeze tail piece, and P-90's. Great guitarist, great tone.

56Tweed
06-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by coldinWI
I've seen pictures of Hubert Sumlin (Howlin' Wolf) with an early gold top with a trapeze tail piece, and P-90's. Great guitarist, great tone.

I think just about every Chess guitarist played one at one time.

Mike

gregc
06-03-2005, 09:29 AM
P-90.......Leslie West/Mountain.
Personally I love P-90s cause when used clean (or turned down, in the case of 'hot' P-90s) they have that single coil chime and when wound up they approximate the gain and heft of a good humbucker. Still, you have the single coil noise problem to deal with. Get a pair of em, have one reverse wound, and when you use em in the combined pos'n they'll be humbucking~
gregc

Strung Up
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I've got 3 killer Strat's w/ 90s, and love 'em for blues and jazz.

I blame it all on a couple B.B. King Ace reissues that have photos of him playing an ES-5 live in bermuda shorts. ;-)

And one more for the list, unless I'm mistaken - those insane pre-Chess Howlin' Wolf sides with Willie Johnson.

KenSea
06-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys for your helpful input!