PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo ISO-5 or T-Rex Fuel Tank JR and why??

partsocaster
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
My board is expanding, like my waist, and I have outgrown the little powered board I bought when I foolishly thought I could control my pedal acquisitions.

So, I need one, possibly two power supplies. I have narrowed it down to two potential units, the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 and the T-Rex Fuel Tank JR (I am likely to place one on each "half" of the board).

Pros and cons of each? I don't want a large unit because I only need 9 or 18 volts, no 12, so I don't want to lose outputs that are dedicated to a voltage I won't use.

jnepo1
02-25-2011, 06:52 PM
The ISO-5 has a dedicated 18V rather than doubling 2-9v outs. Plus a high output 9v. The Fuel Tank Jr outs are only 100mA each.

Hugo Da Rosa
02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
The ISO-5 would be my choice. Even though you don't need the 12v at the moment, if your board is expanding, then there's always the chance you'll end up with a pedal that needs 12v (which in that case a better option would be the PP2+ but size is an issue for you). In addition to that, the ISO-5's wall power cable is detachable and thus switchable to a longer cable if necessary. The attached power cable on the Fuel Tank JR I thought was a mistake on T-Rex's part.

mcdes
02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
The iso 5! It doesn't have as many 9v outputs, but they have more millamps, so you fan daisy chain a few. But the flexibility of having 12v and 18v as well is great.

ryderuveze
02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
The ISO-5 would be my choice. Even though you don't need the 12v at the moment, if your board is expanding, then there's always the chance you'll end up with a pedal that needs 12v (which in that case a better option would be the PP2+ but size is an issue for you). In addition to that, the ISO-5's wall power cable is detachable and thus switchable to a longer cable if necessary. The attached power cable on the Fuel Tank JR I thought was a mistake on T-Rex's part.

The newer versions of the Fuel Tank Jr. have a detachable power cable. I'm really happy with my FTJ, though my power needs are fairly minimal. My pedals only use about 20mA each so the daisy chain works great for me so if I need to run something at 18v I have more than enough space to make that happen.

You can't really go wrong with a Voodoo Lab power supply either though. Find out how much power your current pedals require and the power needs of some of the pedals you're considering buying in the near future and figure out which power supply best suits your needs.

Steve Hotra
02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
You can mount the ISO -5 under a pedaltrain board. Its pretty nice and makes everything clean.
Very happy with my ISO -5.

Godspeed64
02-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Fuel Tank is not fully regulated though, although it is marketed as such. I'd recommend a Cioks Schizophrenic.

udi9
02-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Fuel Tank is not fully regulated though, although it is marketed as such

That's interesting.
I love my FTJr. but I'm having a fairly loud hiss when powering my Telenordia TA-23. it drives me nuts.
I tried powering my pedal with another power supply and it was dead quiet.

is anyone else experiencing this problem?

partsocaster
02-26-2011, 04:56 AM
It's almost unanimous towards the ISO-5.....that means $60 more since I will be buying two UNLESS PP2 would be a better option....arghhhh, why does everything have to be $200+

Thanks to all, btw.

Godspeed64
02-26-2011, 05:15 AM
That's interesting.
I love my FTJr. but I'm having a fairly loud hiss when powering my Telenordia TA-23. it drives me nuts.
I tried powering my pedal with another power supply and it was dead quiet.

is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Hi everybody,
Just a small note on the FuelTanks; they don't perform as they promise in the specifications. If someone would like to see a full test report, please mail. If you would like to be safe, count with 60% of the stated mA-ratings of the outlets and you'll be ok, but no more. Anyway, I can explain:
Ex. the Chameleon is based on an 18VA transformer with UL-core. The stated output parameters are:
· 3 x 9 or 12V DC @ 300mA
· 1 x 9 or 18V DC @ 300mA
· 1 x 9 or 12V DC or 12V AC @ 300mA
if you take the higher voltages and DC only you end up with 19,8W! Whauuu! ...one could think. This means the box has an efficiency higher than 100%. This is completely impossible.

A rule of thumb, we use, says that the W figure must be multiplied by at least 1.5 to get the VA rating of the needed transformer (when dealing with traditional linear power supplies). To be ok with 1.5 only you have to optimize the transformer quite well and use some more expensive voltage regulators of the low dropout type. In case of the FuelTanks, where cheap standard regulators are used, if you try to load it with say 60% of the specified max. load, you’ll already be getting ripple on the outlets.

Best regards,
Poul Ciok

I remembered this post that's why. I had nothing against my trusty old T-Rex FTJr. But the CIOKS was absolutely killer at it's price and functionality.

udi9
02-26-2011, 05:25 AM
I remembered this post that's why. I had nothing against my trusty old T-Rex FTJr. But the CIOKS was absolutely killer at it's price and functionality.

Thanks for that.
the weird thing is, that I've tried powering only my TA-23 with the FTJr. (no other pedals connected) and still got the annoying hiss.
guess I'll be getting a PP2+ soon...

jnepo1
02-26-2011, 06:18 AM
It's almost unanimous towards the ISO-5.....that means $60 more since I will be buying two UNLESS PP2 would be a better option....arghhhh, why does everything have to be $200+

Thanks to all, btw.

How many pedals are you powering? I actually power 11 pedals thru the ISAO-5 currently. That includes 9V, 12V, 18V, and 2 effects of which are positive tip required. I run 3 daisy chained and 2 sets of pedals with "Y" power cables. No powering issues nor noise issues.
It can be done, you just have to map out your power requirements so you are properly powering everything correctly.

partsocaster
02-26-2011, 06:48 AM
How many pedals are you powering? I actually power 11 pedals thru the ISAO-5 currently. That includes 9V, 12V, 18V, and 2 effects of which are positive tip required. I run 3 daisy chained and 2 sets of pedals with "Y" power cables. No powering issues nor noise issues.
It can be done, you just have to map out your power requirements so you are properly powering everything correctly.

Here's my proposed board:

->Loop Master 2 Loop switcher (needs power for LEDs)
--> Loop One, my Vox 847, that's staying on battery power
--> Loop Two, a Dunlop Univibe, not sure if this needs power or if has its' own
--> Tuner Out, my PolyTune which has a power out so I power something from this
-->Loop Master 5 loop switcher (needs power for LEDs)
--> Loop 1 HBE Germania AND Zeek Kosmo X2 (Mo'D clone)
--> Loop 2 CMATMODS Brownie AND FullTone OCD (gonna try running this at 18V)
--> Loop 3 Lovepedal Super Lead AND CMATMODS Signa Drive
--> Loop 4 MXR Full Bore Metal
--> Loop 5 CAL Holy Fire (runs at 48 volts, has its' own power)
-->Boss NF-1 noise gate
-->EHX LPB-1
-->Tweaker

jnepo1
02-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Partsocaster, based on your list of effects, looks like you would be better off going with the ISO-5 w/ a power strip. I would suggest making a chart of your effects along w/ the power requirements, voltage and milliamps. Making the chart really helps in configuring how to properly power your effects into proper power outlets and whether your PSU has ample power for your gear. There are way to many incidents of under-powering or improper powering of effects. You may need to utilize a 3 effect daisy chain and a "Y" power cable or 2 depending on your final powering layout.
Also, I like the idea of the power strip on the board. I would suggest plugging the PSU into the power strip as well. That way, you can power down your entire board w/ the power switch on the strip, rather than unplugging the board.

partsocaster
02-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Partsocaster, based on your list of effects, looks like you would be better off going with the ISO-5 w/ a power strip. I would suggest making a chart of your effects along w/ the power requirements, voltage and milliamps. Making the chart really helps in configuring how to properly power your effects into proper power outlets and whether your PSU has ample power for your gear. There are way to many incidents of under-powering or improper powering of effects. You may need to utilize a 3 effect daisy chain and a "Y" power cable or 2 depending on your final powering layout.
Also, I like the idea of the power strip on the board. I would suggest plugging the PSU into the power strip as well. That way, you can power down your entire board w/ the power switch on the strip, rather than unplugging the board.

I tend to agree with this...thank you for your thoughts. I've already mapped the board, I just need to calculate draw. Without the Brownie and univibe, I am under 500 milliamps right now. I have a Trailer Trash board with plenty of room underneath for a strip and power supply, I was just worried that my draw would exceed the ISO-5's capabilities.

jnepo1
02-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I tend to agree with this...thank you for your thoughts. I've already mapped the board, I just need to calculate draw. Without the Brownie and univibe, I am under 500 milliamps right now. I have a Trailer Trash board with plenty of room underneath for a strip and power supply, I was just worried that my draw would exceed the ISO-5's capabilities.

You would be surprised once you add up the mA how little you actually run in mA. My small board w/ 11 pedals only consumes 350mA. Your pedals are all analog, from the looks of your list, so you should be fine. It's mapping out the power cable thing pairings so not to exceed mA in each outlet that can be trying.

earwax
10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
could someone tell me if the fuel tank jr has a positive or negative tip? i am trying to power an empress multidrive with it and i cannot seem to find this information. thanks in advance

never mind figured it out.

Dr. Sleepy
10-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I scored a PP2+ from the used guitar center page for $99 plus shipping. If you don't luck out like I did, you can't go wrong with the ISO-5.

JRBain
10-01-2011, 05:38 PM
My reasons for buying the FTJ were thus:

- I don't require the additional features of the ISO-5. I only need 9v power.
- The ISO-5 over here costs quite a lot more.
- The ISO-5 is larger.

For what it's worth, I would almost certainly have opted for the ISO-5 had the price margin been smaller (and my bank balance been sufficiently flush!), but I have been so very happy with the FTJ. It is a truly fantastic product. I was shocked at how dead quiet my rig was after I hooked it up, and I hadn't thought that my rig was all that noisy... I think that says it all.

rockysteve
10-21-2011, 06:51 AM
My reasons for buying the FTJ were thus:

- I don't require the additional features of the ISO-5. I only need 9v power.
- The ISO-5 over here costs quite a lot more.
- The ISO-5 is larger.

For what it's worth, I would almost certainly have opted for the ISO-5 had the price margin been smaller (and my bank balance been sufficiently flush!), but I have been so very happy with the FTJ. It is a truly fantastic product. I was shocked at how dead quiet my rig was after I hooked it up, and I hadn't thought that my rig was all that noisy... I think that says it all.

I'm the same as you (well not yet)... the FTJ being cheaper and I only need the 9V outputs...

My only concern is that I have just acquired a line 6 rotomachine tonecore pedal, I was all set to go out and get the FTJ then now I have started reading how these pedals can be fussy over there supply, eek!!!