PDA

View Full Version : different size speakers in one cab

mcdyas
02-26-2011, 05:16 AM
There are a few cabinets I've seen with different size speakers- mostly a mix of 10" and 12" speakers. For example, I've got a Gibson Super Goldtone cab with 2 10" on top and 2 12" on the bottom. I'm guessing that the 12" speaker became the "standard" because it offers the "best" characteristics for guitar frequency range.

What other cabs are out there that mix speaker size?

Is the 12" speaker inherently "best" from an engineering standpoint for guitar?

Has anyone ever seen a cab that has a 10", a 12" and a 15" altogether?

solitaire
02-26-2011, 06:20 AM
I'd say that depends on the tone you're shooting for, really. I think Marshall is the reason why 12" speakers became so popular, but you could have a point in the 12"-ers being perhaps more suited for guitars in standard tuning.

Then that also depends a lot on how the speaker is designed. A stamped frame Fane and a multi ribbed Jensen could be said to behave more like a 15" and a 10" respectively in terms of frequency response

soundchaser59
02-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I had a 1x10 + 1x12 pine cab, and a 2x8 + 1x10 cab. Both were good, the bigger speakers obviously handled more low end and did not break up as quickly, but the 8's were Webers and they were the best 8's I've ever heard. I want to try a 4x8 some day, I know it would be useful and a bit lighter weight than the 2x12 maybe....but the key with smaller speakers is getting good ones. The little 8 inch Jensens and Celestions were not in the same league as the 8F150's I got from Weber. Even the 8 inch Blue Pup is a noticeable improvement over most.

908SSP
02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I think the 12" has a lot going for it. It is the speaker size grandpa used. While that might not sound like a good reason it is. You see your taste is learned and you learned listening to a 12" speaker. Trying to make a 10" or 15" speaker sound like a 12" is well a waste of time just use the 12". In those early days when they were free to experiment the 12" was the speaker they chose because its natural frequency response most closely matched the guitar. It was the largest loudest speaker they could find with decent power handling. Now a days we know much more and we could engineer a cab full of 4" speakers to work but we'd make it sound like 12" speaker so what's the point?