PDA

View Full Version : Driving up and down I-95 - snarls?

stevel
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I may be driving from Emporia, VA, south to Orlando, FL (and back) in August.

How many "big city" rush hour traffic snarls can I expect to hit? Times to avoid certain cities, bypasses to use, etc.????

Steve

Tom CT
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I may be driving from Emporia, VA, south to Orlando, FL (and back) in August.

How many "big city" rush hour traffic snarls can I expect to hit?

Steve

All of them. ;)

I'm sorry I have nothing constructive to add. :bonk

BarneyFife
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Savannah to Brunswick is always a nightmare. Lots of construction. I'd hit that in the middle of the night. Get through Jacksonville before rush hour. I-4 is also bad during rush hour.

rickc007
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Rush hour is the same time frame, all the way down the coast, same time zone

Drive from 10:00AM to 4:00PM

Then 6:00PM to 10PM

and you should be there ... one day if you want

Funky Chicken
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Your biggest potential snarls will be-
Georgia, where construction is ongoing
Metro Jacksonville, FL
The northern half of South Carolina where there are sections that are two lanes with narrow shoulders and a wreck will close a lane

No bypasses that are worth it IMO.
I drive from Raleigh to Vero Beach, Florida several times per year. I break it into two segments-Raleigh to Savannah (GA exit 94 on I-95) and Savannah to Vero. I leave Raleigh Saturday at 5PM and roll into Savannah right around 5 hours later. I get up as early as I can Sunday and get to Vero in around 5 1/2 hours. Minimal police presence along the way except in Georgia. I have driven straight thru from Raleigh to Walt Disney World in just under 10 hours (660 miles) with a couple of quick stops leaving early on a Sunday morning.
The 200 miles from the NC/SC border to the SC/Georgia border are the worst stretch of the trip.

RupertB
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Road work / lane closures not withstanding, I-95 moves pretty well through the Carolinas & GA, compared to Richmond & points north anyway.

You probably know this already, but do not speed at Emporia.

Route234
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
You shouldnt hit anything big on that trip. Barring accidents or maybe you driving right through a busy area right at the worst of rush hour it wont be a big deal.

Stike
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Pedro says.........

stevel
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
The 200 miles from the NC/SC border to the SC/Georgia border are the worst stretch of the trip.

Why?

stevel
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
You probably know this already, but do not speed at Emporia.

Oh yes, this is well known even as far east as I am :-)

Steve

RupertB
03-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Why?

I can only guess that Funky C doesn't care for hours of looking at pine trees... there's Lake Marion... ok, more pine trees.

At least the drive through SC isn't littered with all those damn South of the Border billboards. :puh

Blue Light
03-08-2011, 07:15 AM
I don't know about the deeper south, but do avoid the Richmond-Baltimore section anywhere near rush hour -- between 4 and 7 pm, I reckon.
Especially the area between Fredericksburg and DC, which seems to be in a permanently crowded state.

And of course the northern New Jersey-New York City area get the same filthy rush-hour mess. I always make sure I get through the NYC area at dawn, noon, or late evening.

Mark Kane
03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
The whole state of SC sucks on 95.

Route234
03-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't know about the deeper south, but do avoid the Richmond-Baltimore section anywhere near rush hour -- between 4 and 7 pm, I reckon.
Especially the area between Fredericksburg and DC, which seems to be in a permanently crowded state.

And of course the northern New Jersey-New York City area get the same filthy rush-hour mess. I always make sure I get through the NYC area at dawn, noon, or late evening.

Yea, really from VA on up to RI and MA you need to watch out for rush hour traffic big time. South it doesnt seem anywhere near as bad. When I travel north, which I do a lot, I travel at night only. Even on weekends.

GovernorSilver
03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I just use Google Maps to identify where the heavy traffic is, then look for alternate routes around it. That's how I found my route to Fayetteville NC from DC on the night before Thanksgiving (state highway 29 plus other side streets).

Funky Chicken
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
When I lived in metro NY I would do almost anything to avoid the I-95 corridor. Totally different from 95 south of Richmond-you can MAKE TIME down here.
South Carolina has the littlest to see along the way and the road itself seems to be in crappier condition-more expansion joints and rough pavement.
Another rule of thumb-always stop at a Cracker Barrel. The lots are safe, there are places to walk the dog, the bathrooms are clean. We pack a cooler and eat in the car but CB is consistent and solid for pit stops.

Babaji
03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
...I used to drive from DC to Daytona, with minimal issues in 11 hours. Since you are in Emporia, that removes the whole DC to Fredricksburg traffic. A good thing! Haven't been south on I 95 for a few years, so other posters may have more up to date info.
Bill

Hgb5000
03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Watch out for the mega speed trap on I-95 in Ridgeland, SC. Look up that area on a map and keep to the speed limit for the few miles that it will take you to pass through. They have a trailer hidden under a bridge with multiple cameras and radar on tripods and have mailed out tickets to motorists all over the nation.

T.Wesley
03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
You're starting out well south of Fredericksburg - I think anywhere else you go will be a piece of cake compared to F'burg north to B'more.

--chiba

CharAznable
03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
The biggest problem with driving south on 95 is the mindnumbing dullness.

Boris Bubbanov
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Savannah to Brunswick is always a nightmare. Lots of construction. I'd hit that in the middle of the night. Get through Jacksonville before rush hour. I-4 is also bad during rush hour.

WAS a nightmare, sometimes. I'm generally Southbound after 6:00 P.M. and things (it was mostly from Richmond Hill, South to the FL State Line) have improved dramatically this year.

Likewise there was serious road construction/congestion on I-95 through the core of Jacksonville and further down in Flagler County but this has all been fixed up a lot. I would be more concerned about smoke associated with forest fires, this sort of thing.

Gas prices between The St. John County Line and Daytona tend to be higher than in areas North and South of there, but the savings in Georgia and South Carolina may not be what they once were. If you are going to Disney, Universal, etc. I would still go up the gut (I-4) as opposed to using 417 (Toll Road) in the Orlando metro area. Eat/Buy Gas etc. in Seminole County and not right down by Disney. They will soak you down that way, right now.

grateful.ed
03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Rush hour is the same time frame, all the way down the coast, same time zone

Drive from 10:00AM to 4:00PM

Then 6:00PM to 10PM

and you should be there ... one day if you want

But lots of construction work happens during non-rush hours, so lane closures are as bad as rush hour.

Interstate driving is a PITA, .....and we should have flying cars by now.

CharAznable
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
But lots of construction work happens during non-rush hours, so lane closures are as bad as rush hour.

Interstate driving is a PITA, .....and we should have flying cars by now.

Or an affordable train