PDA

View Full Version : Champ 600 Reissue Layout

sink
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Greetings all, I'm rebuilding a Champ 600 and was wondering if any of you could take a quick peak at my layout to make sure it looks halfway correct. I omitted a couple of grid resistors and the capacitors in the power section. The power section now more closely resembles the Epiphone Valve Jr. From what I can tell, the only main consideration left is where to physically locate the fuse; any suggestions?

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd441/sink57/ChampSchematic.jpg

Here's the schematic:

http://support.fender.com/schematics/guitar_amplifiers/Champion_600_schematic.pdf

Thanks a lot.

phsyconoodler
03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Do yourself a favor and use the Fender 5F1 layout.They sound better and are easier to build.A fuse can go anywhere,preferably near where the power comes into the chassis.Use your own judgement here.
Go to www.hoffmanamps.com and look in his library of schematics under Fener.5F1 champ.

sink
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advice but I already built a 5F1 back in January. I picked this one up since it is a little more complicated circuit.

phsyconoodler
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
What's more complicated about that circuit?It's a simple as they come.
Try maybe a 5F2A princeton circuit that has a tone control.
It's very close to the 5F1 already.
what are you looking for in terms of tone?

Patrick620
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
What's more complicated about that circuit?It's a simple as they come.
Try maybe a 5F2A princeton circuit that has a tone control.
It's very close to the 5F1 already.
what are you looking for in terms of tone?
+1. I did a 5F2A and love it.

sink
03-14-2011, 12:26 PM
You are correct, maybe it would help if I clarified a little. I built a 5F1 kit and it's great. Being a kit it was kind of a paint by numbers event. I picked up the 600 for dirt cheap since it is a slightly different circuit, has more parts in which to tinker (the tone stack), and more closely resembles what I am ultimately working up towards. Which is gutting my Pignose G40V. Once I bypassed the 600's tone stack it really opened up and I figured change out the parts with a few higher quality ones, replace the grill cloth, speaker, tubes and whatnot and end up with an experiment that also sounds good. I already have all the parts for this circuit so am pretty set on this one. Going back and modding this at a later date is something I want to do but right now I basically want to learn what I can from this one and move on to the Pignose.

Hope that didn't come off as too direct. I appreciate the advice and suggestions. This amp building stuff is an absolute blast.

phsyconoodler
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
By bypassing the tone stack of the 600 you have a 5F1 tone.
All roads lead to a 5F1 when you simplify the circuit.
What you need now is quality parts and better transformers to dig all the tone out of your amp.
Do give the 5F2A a try.It is simply outstanding from a tonal aspect.
then you can explore stuff at other sites to add a treble,mid,bass tonestack and maybe another gain stage.
Lots of possibilities.

guitarcapo
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
5E1...add a choke. 10" speaker. Get rid of the NF loop. Bypass cap over the volume pot. play with the cathode resistor and cap values to taste on the gain stages.