PDA

View Full Version : Pedal in front of a Mesa?

cap217
03-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Does anyone put a tubescreamer or rat in front of a mesa rectifier? I wouldnt think so but I wonder if it will give me more tone options.

cheameup
03-20-2011, 06:28 PM
allot of people put a tubescreamer as a boost to tighten it up. I have never done it. I love the tone without it .

I havent tried a rat but I've run my fuzz factory in front of my dual rect high gain channel for fun . it sounds huge and demonic.gain times 100 . allot of fun to mess around with but not really usable in a band

aaland_brian
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
I run both those pedals in front of a lone-star special and they sound fantastic, but if your looking to do it in front of a Rectifier or Mark the rat will sound anemic compared to the amp distortion in my opinion. I do like a maxon od-9+ in front of my roadking for some stuff, but if you can play with it cranked, the amp sounds good on it's own.

Magicpad
03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I like using a mxr classic overdrive in front of my roadster when I practice at home, just to tighten up the tone and make it more defined at low volumes. Live and practice, I sawp it for a noise gate to get rid of buzz when I stop playing.

justinhedrick
03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
steve von till from neurosis does this. not sure what parts he uses it on, but his tone is always pretty good.

i'd say try it and see if you like it.

jrjones
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Does anyone put a tubescreamer or rat in front of a mesa rectifier? I wouldnt think so but I wonder if it will give me more tone options.

A buddy of mine has a keeley rat. He doesn't really like it with the recto. Andrew from Disciple uses a maxon 808 in front of his rectifier and jcm800 though and sounds great.

stromero01
03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I put a rat and/or a swart treble booster in front of mine. works well.

Spark
03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
OCD v1 sounds great in front of my Tremoverb

Trebor Renkluaf
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I used to goose my old Dual Recto (bought new, Jan 93) with a TS9 RI - sounded frickin' great! It worked well with both clean settings and overdriven settings.

ChorusCrackpot
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
but if your looking to do it in front of a Rectifier or Mark the rat will sound anemic compared to the amp distortion in my opinion.

In my experience, using any dirt pedal in front of a Mark series Mesa/Boogie won't just sound anaemic but also pathetic when compared to the amp distortion. It just doesn't have the thick chewy punch, roar, chug, guts, nuts, and crunch.

Overdrive pedals are good when used as a level booster in front of a Rectifier amp, and to lop off some of the bottom end to reduce the flub.

riffy
03-21-2011, 01:27 PM
In my experience, using any dirt pedal in front of a Mark series Mesa/Boogie won't just sound anaemic but also pathetic when compared to the amp distortion. It just doesn't have the thick chewy punch, roar, chug, guts, nuts, and crunch.

Overdrive pedals are good when used as a level booster in front of a Rectifier amp, and to lop off some of the bottom end to reduce the flub.

^^^
This is what I use a Maxon OD808 for exactly in front of mine.

crxshdxmmy
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
The best thing for "goosing" a recto is the SHO circut, IMO.

WickedG
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I was using either my Lovepedal Eternity(silver) or a TS9 in front of my Dual Rec.

Then I sold the Dual Rec because I had to use an Eternity or TS9 to get the tones I wanted.

KoskineN
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I use either an OCD(v4) or a SHO in front of my Roadster combo, and both sound great. I mostly use the OCD to boost solos, and the SHO to give it some more punch when I need some (almost always on when I use my Jazzmaster)

Theroyalconsort
03-22-2011, 07:00 AM
for a Mesa the clasic style of boost is the Tubescreamer. the last thing you want to do to a Mesa is feed a trebbly signal into it (duck that icepick...)
And yes I suppose a Rat with the filter set up a bit would do the same trick.