PDA

View Full Version : How do you play along to backing tracks/music?

semi-hollowbody
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
When you play to backing tracks, how do you do it?
Do you use headphones?
Do you crank a stereo and play along
Do you plug an ipod/cd player into a smal practice amp with headphones
Do you plug an ipod into a multi effect unit and play the tracks/music through an amp
Do you use studio speakers...

What methods tools do you use to playing along with pre-recorded music or backing tracks

Austinrocks
03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
lots of backing tracks from here

http://guitarbt.com/

nice powered speakers on the computer in my music room

skydog
03-31-2011, 12:22 PM
i'll do dvd's thru the tv or cd's thru my pa. same with mp3's via ipod.

GCDEF
03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Are you talking about performing or at home?

At home I just play them on my computer which is plugged into regular computer speakers and a PA. Which I use depends on how loud I want to play.

I don't perform with them now, but in the past, I've used an MP3 player and a laptop plugged into the PA.

tiktok
03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
At home I don't use my stage amps, so it's usually an old Roland GP-100 and the computer playing mp3's into a mixer, monitoring on headphones.

MichaelSaulnier
03-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Depends on the time of day and people around the house.

I have the luxury of working from a home office, so I'm around all day... if no one else is home... I can play through my home studio monitors and a live amp at fun volumes.

If people are around, I can go "silent" using a L6 Toneport and headphones... or quietly through the studio speakers with both backing and guitar.

M

Flyin' Brian
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I use Band In A Box or my iPod. If I'm playing unplugged, I just use my laptop speakers. If I'm plugged in, I plug my computer into a pair of powered speakers or a stereo. If I'm practicing, I'm usually nowhere near any performance volume, so it works out fine, but I can crank the stereo if I feel like it.

teleclem
03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
iPod speakers can do most of the time. I can also play along to the home theatre.

Dave2512
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Most of the time I use a Microcube and line in mp3's. Line6 Tone Port for PC jamming. Headphones optional for either.

Tommy Biggs
03-31-2011, 01:10 PM
IPod (or mini Digital recorder) into the Aux input on an old 1970's receiver/amplifier, to some big ass old Acoustic research speakers. That gets loud enough to get the feeling as needed. plenty of times I run it pretty quiet though.

ksandvik
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Logic the DAW and studio reference monitors, NI Guitar Rig and all set!

Tahitijack
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Usually in the evening I play for about an hour so its my ipod or a cd through a boom box, with electric amp at low volume. When I have more time I play along with the ipod or cd through my stereo at higher volume so the guitar amp is cranked up a bit.

eisrael37
03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
youtube laptop into my multieffects processor

semi-hollowbody
03-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I like the ipod through microcube/headphones at night, but I miss the variety of my pedals sometimes...

I just set up my stereo in my guitar nook...and I have an rc stereo patchcord that will run from my ipod to the stereo aux in...i can control it all from 5 feet away with a couple remotes and my ipod...this stereo can get freakishly loud, but lately i been playing along quietly and it works well...

Julia343
03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
I've made a bunch of backing tracks in different blues styles. Rarely I've found a backing track online that is what I'm looking for, so I usually make my own which isn't that hard since I play keyboards. I use Windows Media Player, my studio Monitors, my Interface, and a POD HD. I don't play quietly.

D.Cooper
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I have tons of backing tracks on my ipod, plug that into my surround sound then play along.

direwolf
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
laptop USB to GDEC3 30W

gomez1856
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
iPod or computer (via USB) into podhd 500 and headphones typically.

Brooks
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
ipod thru home stereo, me thru a marshall mg15.
before that it was laptop spkrs & mini (9v) marshall
(big amps are in 2 rehearsal spots).

Ephi82
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Home Studio:

When not laying down tracks, and seeking some inspiration, I will take a Blu Ray Player (supports CD/DVD/Blue Ray/SACD/DVD Audio) digital out stereo, into my mixer and HDMI video out into 50" flat panel HD monitor. Audio monitoring through JBL 4328's, with Sub.

Fender Pro Reverb gobo'd with a sm57 on it (FMR RNP), a SM58 on a stand for my vocals (FMR RNP/RNC), my P-Bass through a BASS Driver DI, and Roland V Drums all into the board as well.

Too much fun running a concert DVD/Blu Ray, and hearing yourself "in the band" and the mix like you were there. This has also helped me become a better player.....

Very, very good way to cop licks and positions for guitar and bass (for instance, I never knew Midnight Rambler was Keith w/ conventional tuning, capoed on 7) and there is nothing like trying and failing to play like Bonham on the drums! . Good work out!

Lucidology
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
LOUDLY sometimes, SOFTLY other times...
All Live & in person ...........LoL

Oh .. like-A Dis for example:

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdK6XpCUMr8&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param (http://www.youtube.com/v/MdK6XpCUMr8&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdK6XpCUMr8&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Outlier
04-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Home theater cranked- amp cranked. I've played many a concert with great bands this way. ;-)

cram
04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
jam room isolates our sound so I'm fortunate to have that. I just put the tune through the pa and plug my amp in to play along. It's at a modest volume.

mannish
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
funny I believe in knowing how to play rhythm. My friend noodles to backing tracks all the time. The other day he mentioned he'd been doing that, I ask if he played rhythm along with the backing tracks. He gave me a look like are you crazy they are backing tracks :-) So learn how to play the backing tracks.

Lucidology
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
funny I believe in knowing how to play rhythm. My friend noodles to backing tracks all the time. The other day he mentioned he'd been doing that, I ask if he played rhythm along with the backing tracks. He gave me a look like are you crazy they are backing tracks :-) So learn how to play the backing tracks.

There's no limits on what one can do over backing tracks...
I make sure there's no guitar on mine so I can go back & forth between rhythms
& leads without too much of the same frequencies bumping up against each other ...
As in this youtube:

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param (http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

oldtelefart
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Lovely playing, excellent sound. As usual, the kiddies are drawn to the drums!

Lucidology
04-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Lovely playing, excellent sound. As usual, the kiddies are drawn to the drums!

Hey ... thanks a lot ... the kids in that video are so cute ..
& of course they love the hand drums ....loll

oldtelefart
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Pretty sweet for a gig pig!

Rod
04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
All of the above

monty
04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Sometimes I'll crank up a cd and play through my amp, but most of the time it is unplugged with my iphone.

Cream
04-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Don't overlook Garageband. Back when I still had my electronic drum kit I would record the beat from a song I wanted to learn. Then record the bass line. Then play to... eh, myself?

SteveO
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
For years I used to use a small mixer to blend a direct guitar signal (remember the Rockman?) with a cd player into headphones. Currently, I run a wet/dry/wet rig in my living room and jam along to DVDs through my home theater system.

A-Bone
04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Short answer to the OP's question is "poorly." Longer answer is that I prefer to play along with CDs, although I suspect this is because doing so hides weaknesses in my own playing.

burningyen
04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
iPod or Mac->RP355 or RP155->headphones

thisisajs
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
dtehDIWrX5U

Just like this...

semi-hollowbody
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Short answer to the OP's question is "poorly." Longer answer is that I prefer to play along with CDs, although I suspect this is because doing so hides weaknesses in my own playing.
I like to crank my 100w stereo at almost full...im talking wall shaking glass shattering loud...and play along with my unplugged electric, this way I sound phenominal...but once I plug in and crank, too many mistakes

;)

Ray Gianelli
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
CD player into Behringer Vamp into headphones.

When I need to make patches for new cover tunes the rig gets set up in the living room and the stereo cranked!

eddie101
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
There's no limits on what one can do over backing tracks...
I make sure there's no guitar on mine so I can go back & forth between rhythms
& leads without too much of the same frequencies bumping up against each other ...
As in this youtube:

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param (http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WcmJhEYSOg&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Dayum, Joe. You sound so righteous. Whoa :dude

Lucidology
04-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Dayum, Joe. You sound so righteous. Whoa :dude

Hey thanks Eddie ...

Steve1977
04-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Live on stage it's IPOD into the PA then the track minus click going out of the front of house speakers and the track WITH click going to my In Ear Monitors. Works well.

markbosko
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
BIAB=>RP355=>headphones. BIAB makes it easy to play with a wide variety of instruments/tracks or just bass & drums so I can comp with a soloist, solo, or play both.

nosinger
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Ipod or CD player into one side of my Fender Champ 600 (I just love that little no frills amp) and my 52 AVRI Telecaster through a slap back delay into the other input. As long no one comes down the basement steps I'm Luther Perkins incarnate.

CyberFerret
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I use Amplitube 3...Run the backing track on the second channel, guitar on Channel 1 with all the appropriate sims and effects, and you can play along just great.

AT3 also let you slow down the backing track so you can learn solos etc. I find it a great way to jam along...

arfalax
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
My 5.1 surround sound cranked with 2 or 3 amps for guitar, love the DVD in the mix sound. Sometimes I use backing CDs with no guitar.

cruisemates
04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The backing tracks are on my computer so I just have a decent pair of powered computer speakers. Then I use my practice amp which is at the other end of the room.

If no one is home I go to the "practice room" where I have a PA system. I also have another laptop with backing tracks -I just take speaker output mini-plug and plug it into two channels on my PA system with a cable converter (HiZ in 1/4 plugs). Then I have a larger amp and microphone I can also use if I also want to sing along.

CyberFerret
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I forgot to mention in my post above that I use Amplitube 3 on my laptop with headphones attached - that way I can rehearse/practice to backing tracks late at night without waking my wife & kids.

Lucidology
04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Just an inquiry ... though I always make my own backing tracks ..
wonder if any folk here know of tracks available online without any guitar in them ...?
(one of my old sequencers is on the verge of expiration ...)

burningyen
04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
www.guitarbackingtrack.com

Stevil
04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
all of the above. when i had all my crap setup in the garage i'd jam along at full volume thru amps.
in the apt i'll headphone it or use my nearfields during the day.

i'm more of a synth tweaker guy so i tend to make my own loops & noodle over those (acid is a great program for this). also i like playing along to other peoples records or live performances on the Palladia channel. i miss vh1 classic alternative. was fun to jam along on the couch to.

Bodhisattva
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm curious about the same thing. Looking at getting some speakers that will play loud enough to have some fun.

Curious if studio monitors will work with a computer or iPod/Phone
something like this perhaps
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html