PDA

View Full Version : QSC K12 vs K10

nexbot
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello TGP, new poster here! :)

I apologize if this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two side by side?

Using the same settings on my HD500, I compared the K8 and K12 today (the store didn't have the K10) and the K12 sounded significantly louder. I'm not sure why that is since they're both 1000w. The K12 also seemed to have a little more bass though I was impressed with the bass response of the K8.

Is the K12 also louder than the K10? Any other differences? Thanks!

NeuroLogic
04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
For guitar go with the 10s, as they the proper balance Hz range. The 12s re too boomy for just guitar but, better for an all purpose pa. The 8s a lot more compressed, not as clear or as loud as the larger two. However, I may use the 8s for monitors in front & the 10s behind me.

Also, try them with an acoustic guitar, very impressive.

Yek
04-04-2011, 08:51 AM
The 12s re too boomy for just guitar but, better for an all purpose pa.

That's what the Ext.Sub switch is for, a 100Hz high-pass filter.

scorched
04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I have K12's I use with an Axe FX. They're not boomy at all. Just EQ your patch. I haven't even tried what Yek suggested, it will probably work fine. But the main reason I got the K12's was to EQ the Axe FX properly so when I go to plug into a big FOH PA my EQ settings aren't all jacked up.
To answer the initial question, I listened to both the K10's and K12's and both sounded great. A bit more bottom in the K12's - I think that is to be expected. But the K10's sound fine. In fact since my sons are starting to play music with me and some of our friends come over to jam - my K12's are getting used as inhouse PA's. So I'm thinking about getting some K10's to supplement!

nexbot
04-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I have K12's I use with an Axe FX. They're not boomy at all. Just EQ your patch. I haven't even tried what Yek suggested, it will probably work fine. But the main reason I got the K12's was to EQ the Axe FX properly so when I go to plug into a big FOH PA my EQ settings aren't all jacked up.
To answer the initial question, I listened to both the K10's and K12's and both sounded great. A bit more bottom in the K12's - I think that is to be expected. But the K10's sound fine. In fact since my sons are starting to play music with me and some of our friends come over to jam - my K12's are getting used as inhouse PA's. So I'm thinking about getting some K10's to supplement!

When playing live, do you use one K12 or two? Do you have them on the floor or do you put them on stands?

Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna approach the transition from a tube amp to Modelling/FRFR :)

leftyvic
04-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I have a pair of K10s and a pair of K12s for my AxeFX Ultra. I've gigged with both. I don't find the K12s boomy at all, but they are louder and better on a bigger stage. The K10s can hold their own but you will definitely push them harder with a loud band.

I put one K12 next to my vocal wedge, that's primarily where I'm hearing my guitar from (and it sounds great). I put a second K12 back behind me where my 2X12 cabinet used to be, that's primarily for front stage fill. I find that by positioning it and angling it just right (I get it off the floor on a crate), I can stand in a perfect little island of my own guitar tone and still hear everyone else really well, and it's not as loud as it was before I went FRFR.

stratoskier
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
What about running both guitar (through a modeler, naturally) and backing tracks for solo performance? I'm assuming that the K12s would be the right choice, but it would be swell if the K10s could handle everything given their friendlier size, weight and ease of transport. FWIW, I'm using a pair of Mackie SRM450s for this job now, but they're big and heavy.

jezzbo
04-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I used to own a makie srm450 v2 then I bought the K10's.
The K10's sound A LOT better than the Mackie (with 11R)
The 11R was harsh sounding through the Mackie.
To my ears the Mackie srm450 v2 and the QSC K10 are equally loud.
(more than loud enough for my needs)
IMHO etc....

weathertite
04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
FWIW. I tried one K10 with my Ultra. It was OK, but seemed to lack a bit of bottom end for my needs. I wanted to run the puter for backing tracks to jam with. I settled on two K12's and it seems to work out pretty good for my needs. I use the deep setting for a bit more bottom end from backing tracks and for my needs they work wonderfully. Hope you find what you are looking for. Shop around and you can get the cabs cheaper than advertised. Helps to soften the financial blow a bit..

Ed

scorched
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Live I run three ways.

Sunday at church: direct to FOH - in ear monitors. Here the Axe FX really shines. Hearing yourself pushing 10,000 watts is a near religous experience.

Blues band: K12 in front, into a Mesa Blue Angel (w/ Cannabis Rex) and K12 behind. The mix of EL-84 chime and 6V6 grind with the K12 gives me the grease I need.

Occasional Classic Rock / Blues-Rock gig. K12's and Fryette 2/50/2 into 2 2x12 Mesa Road King cabs with the std. C90 and V30 speaker mix. I can't decide which I like better so I bring both. Usually have one K12 in front.

scorched
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna approach the transition from a tube amp to Modelling/FRFR :)

THAT is a whole other question. The reason I have tube amps is an emotional attachment to the past. I was using Boss GT series for the last six years. That needed tube amps because the modeling just wasn't there. It hadn't arrived yet. It had the promise but the execution was poor.
Axe fx changed all that. I'm learning that my tube amps and guitar speakers are limiting me. They sound good on some things - not so good on others. FRFR is a new path- a new paradigm. Its an open canvas.

Another thing, you mentioned in the beginning does it get loud enough. Oh it get real loud. But, modeling releases you from blistering, mind numbing volume. You can get overdrive and distortion at very resonable levels which enables you to get great mixes live. You can go home at night without you bloody ears ringing like crazy.

beckerman
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
One thing I noticed when exchanging the K12 for a K10 is the dispersal angles shown on the boxes were different. I believe the K12 showed a 75 degree spread and the K10 90 degrees.

It was just a passing observation, didn't research or verify it, but I remember thinking that was odd.

weathertite
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
A smaller speaker gives a wider dispersion. At least I think that is what I read on either this forum or Fractal's forum. Could be wrong....

Ed

scorched
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
It was just a passing observation, didn't research or verify it, but I remember thinking that was odd.

Yep, the bigger the speaker the narrower the throw. 15's are even less and an 18 is essentially a bass cannon.

nexbot
04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I did notice that dispersion angle in the literature, but what confused me most was why the K8 was so much quieter than the K12.

I bring it up often because I play in a LOUD heavy rock band with a hard hitting drummer, bassist, and another guitarist that uses a loud tube/412 setup on stage...

vinney57
04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I did notice that dispersion angle in the literature, but what confused me most was why the K8 was so much quieter than the K12.

I bring it up often because I play in a LOUD heavy rock band with a hard hitting drummer, bassist, and another guitarist that uses a loud tube/412 setup on stage...

The 1000watts of the amp has nothing to do with it. Its the ability of the speaker to push air and naturally the 8" has less of that for a number of reasons.

vinney57
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Yep, the bigger the speaker the narrower the throw. 15's are even less and an 18 is essentially a bass cannon.

There's some truth in that but the dispersion of the K10/K12 speakers has to do with tweeter horn shapes.

clintmartin
04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Well I love my K12! Haven't played through a K10, but I bet it sounds great.