PDA

View Full Version : Thermionic Effects Te.01 Tube Overdrive

dorfmeister
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Ran into this one while doing some searching - Thermionic Effects Te.01. Anyone have one or played one?

http://www.myspace.com/thermioniceffects

http://www.thermioniceffects.com/

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrAZlXKojg&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrAZlXKojg&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Heady Jam Fan
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I like tube ODs much more than solid state personally. I tried a bunch of them and honestly, none of the preamp one compared to the ones with power tubes as well. I got a Rock Block from Surprise Sound Labs and it blew me away. Much warmer sounding than just preamp tubes and more versatile. I am getting a few mods done on it right now (ie footswitch for the boost), can't wait to get it back.

Also, make sure any tube pedal you get is high voltage, otherwise it is pointless.

dorfmeister
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
The Thermionic runs on high voltage as does the Coopersonic Twin Tube Overdrive I already possess.

I like tube pedals.

BBender
04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Pretty cool...

Heady Jam Fan
04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I like tubes too, I ended up selling my Seymour Duncans when I got the RB. The power tube just blew other tube pedals away and the one I suggested is cheaper than the Stage Hog and I think it sounds better than the Zvex (there are comparison clips on youtube).

Once you go tube, you can't go back.

ruger9
04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I like tube ODs much more than solid state personally. I tried a bunch of them and honestly, none of the preamp one compared to the ones with power tubes as well. I got a Rock Block from Surprise Sound Labs and it blew me away. Much warmer sounding than just preamp tubes and more versatile. s.

Am I missing something? The RB is 2 preamp tubes... no power tubes in sight...

julius
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
i acquired one in trade recently. pretty cool! can sound pretty huge... which is good, cause the pedal itself is pretty huge. i have a couple other tube based pedals, so i'm still trying to figure out if i'm keeping the te-01 around or not. but it is certainly a well built/good sounding pedal.

there is this indian shaman fella in eureka, ca, who makes some pretty unique tube gear/pedals under the: aural magic/pro cyon moniker. i picked up one of his meteor rx3 pedal last time i was there. a bit spendy & also very large, but mine sounds like the front end of a marshall. worth taking a look at anyway: http://www.aural-magic.com/products-c-46.html

Heady Jam Fan
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Am I missing something? The RB is 2 preamp tubes... no power tubes in sight...

Yep, your are... it is a 12ax7 and a ECC82 (I believe that is the stock power tube): Tube-swapping, especially the output tube can provide different distortion sounds and volume levels. The recommended output tubes for the Rock Block are the ECC82/ECC802/12AU7, ECC99 or ECC81/12AT7. The ECC99 provides 0.7 watts of clean power and 1.5 watts maximum power. The 12AU7 provides 0.4 watts clean power and 1 watt maximum power, and the 12AT7 provides 0.12 watts clean power and 0.8 watts maximum power. The ECC99 has the darkest sound with the most bass. The 12AT7 has the brightest sound, and the 12AU7 is in between. All three have a great unique sound.
It is single ended triode, so it is warmer than some single ended pentodes and has more (even) harmonic content than push-pull.

The tube on the left is the power tube... when I set it with the volume maxed (like master volume on an amp) and gain (like preamp volume on an amp) as low as possible, keeping some volume in the output, it just ads cool tubey harmonics, reminds me of the change in tone from the SGBB.

ruger9
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
The ECC82 is a preamp tube. It's a 12AU7. that's not a power tube. It's being USED as a power tube, but it's not what anyone calls a power tube, like a 6L6, EL84, etc.

Seems to me any of these tube overdrives can be tweaked by throwing a 12AU7 in there... and alot of people do just that. PGS's demo of the Effectrode Tube drive even DOES that, showing the different gain levels and tones you can get.

Heady Jam Fan
04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
The ECC82 is a preamp tube. It's a 12AU7. that's not a power tube. It's being USED as a power tube, but it's not what anyone calls a power tube, like a 6L6, EL84, etc.

Seems to me any of these tube overdrives can be tweaked by throwing a 12AU7 in there... and alot of people do just that. PGS's demo of the Effectrode Tube drive even DOES that, showing the different gain levels and tones you can get.

Good point, and that would lead to the confusion just looking at it. I guess maybe that is why Kim uses the term output tube rather than power tube?

dorfmeister
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
i acquired one in trade recently. pretty cool! can sound pretty huge... which is good, cause the pedal itself is pretty huge. i have a couple other tube based pedals, so i'm still trying to figure out if i'm keeping the te-01 around or not. but it is certainly a well built/good sounding pedal.

there is this indian shaman fella in eureka, ca, who makes some pretty unique tube gear/pedals under the: aural magic/pro cyon moniker. i picked up one of his meteor rx3 pedal last time i was there. a bit spendy & also very large, but mine sounds like the front end of a marshall. worth taking a look at anyway: http://www.aural-magic.com/products-c-46.html

Those aural magic pedals look pretty cool. So how well does the Thermionic stack up?

julius
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
honestly, i haven't had as much time to really dig into the thermionic, as i would like. i'm at first impressions stage, so i'm still feeling it out here. but the thermionic reminds me a little bit more of a fender preamp section to the aural magic's marshall/jcm-ish preamp vibe. thermionic can do fairly subtle tube boost/overdrive to a pretty heavy gain crunch. the built in power source gives it some good heft. worked pretty good with both guitar & bass. it's certainly a cool pedal, i'm just a little inundated with od's at the moment, so i gotta figure out if it's got staying power or not.

i'm hoping to take it through it's paces a little more in the coming week, and try & decide if i'm going to keep it around or not. i'll report back when i have a little firmer perspective.

darren_lee
01-05-2013, 08:49 AM
The Thermionic TE-01 (or the .01 as Doug Owens calls it) is absolutely the best overdrive pedal I have ever used in my 25 years of guitar playing.

Do your research on what overdrive really is and where it comes from....

I recently have contacted Doug to build me my own, I had borrowed one from a buddy and really liked the high gain output it gives, a truly over driven signal that breaks up the way a 50watt Marshall big box would.
I play a JazzMaster, Mustang and an old Silvertone 1448 and this pedal is what lights them up the best. I had fought for years over the right overdrive source for a JazzMaster (can be tough).

The Thermionic is my secret weapon.... I had Doug make mine with no printing on the enclosure,,, it looks like the Death Star and does equal damage! http://www.surfboardsbymicheljunod.com/TE01.jpg