PDA

View Full Version : Bluesouth guitars

tsar nicholas
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Does anyone remember, or better yet possess an example of, the defunct American guitar company Bluesouth?

I remember seeing a few of them in the mid-90s and really digging the look, but there's scant info on them now. I can't even find images of the things.

Anybody with info, photos, etc? Bueller?

phaedrus
04-13-2011, 08:51 AM
What do you need to know about Bluesouth? Are you trying to find one of the guitars built by Bluesouth? Or do you need information about the instruments?

tsar nicholas
04-14-2011, 07:09 PM
What do you need to know about Bluesouth? Are you trying to find one of the guitars built by Bluesouth? Or do you need information about the instruments?

Howdy! I'm looking for information about the instruments (and the company, if any such info exists). If there were any guitars made by them kicking around, I'd be interested in seeing them, as well.

Have you got some Bluesouth info to share?

phaedrus
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello Tsar Nicholas

Sorry for such a long-delayed response. My hometown was very severely impacted by the 27 April tornadoes. My home, family, and guitars are all fine.

The first Bluesouth Guitar was built in 1991. The Company founder had a shop over a record store in Florence, Alabama. In all, nine original models were designed and prototypes built. Only five instruments were produced and sold through dealers. The remaining designs were built to order. Production was moved to a shop out in the country in the mid-nineties. Production numbers were very small, but several hundred instruments were built. Bluesouth made their own bodies, necks, pick guards, pickups, and cases. All of the manufacturing, assembly and finish work was done at the same facility.

I have some of the instruments and can post some photos if you will let me know what you are interested in seeing.

Phaedrus

hazy_2007
11-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Sorry for the 8 month delayed reaction...

I have a Bluesouth Muscle Shoals that I bought from a friend around 2004. It was a custom order in TV yellow (is that right?) originally with P-90s but now with Dim$rzio DLX Plus 90s. It's a great little guitar with a "scroll" at the top cutaway.

I friend accidentally knocked it over in 2006 and the neck cracked at the bottom of the headstock. The repair is slightly visible but the structural integrity is perfect.

Great guitar and looks cool.

Rick

DasDudinator
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a Bluesouth Macon model shot entirely in Gibson Gold Bullion with binding. Its the best instrument I have ever owned and I will not part with it. I found it years ago at a little shop in Nashville that is no more. It came with two Schaller Humbuckers that I found to be brittle sounding. I later replaced those with Gibson Burstbuckers which I found to be muddy and now, finally I have two Dimarzio Eric Johnson Customs in her which suit the guitar and my tonal taste perfectly.

I don't know how to attach photos to these posts otherwise I certainly would. The guitar is a stunner in every way!

Al

FlipDezz
04-14-2013, 08:12 AM
I bought a Bluesouth Clarksdale model from Mike E's Guitars, Nashville in July of 1998. I had a few conversations with the builder Ronnie Knight around that time. This guitar is "TV Yellow" with 2 soapbar P90's. Nice thick neck and large frets with a high crown for blues string bending. I've since swapped-in a pair of Seymour Duncan P90 stacked pickups and run them in parallel wiring for traditional tone and series for louder/darker humbucker tone. I absolutely love this guitar for playing blues. Through a low watt tube amp cranked to moderate overdrive the tone can't be beat.

Micah Colonna
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
I have a Muscle Shoals model also that I bought from the original owner and it was featured in the 1996? NAMM catalogue, a super cool great and amazing sounding.... There are images of Bluesouths, one with Johnny Jenkins holding a Macon model, then two Japanese guys, one holding a brown Clarksdale with P90's and another with a semi-hollow Muscle Shoals (called Splash Marks) instead of f-holes; which these are not real hollow bodies but just a time chamber in the upper rear bout, mine was the first with this feature I'm told and the Japanese guy named Lyon his is green.... I have photos of each if these and there is some of a guy with a model I've never seen before on his MySpace page, but I haven't been able to find it recently since they restarted MySpace.

I live in the town Ronnie Knight built in and he's a great guy and have his email address, but he no longer builds. I believe he works at NASA now actually.

Any questions I'll do my best to answer them and I recently bought

www.bluesouthguitars.com to do a feature site with interviews, pics and history on this incredible brand at some point once I move, several key players of Bluesouth guitars have agreed to do interviews and even a left handed Blueaouth bass will be featured which it is a matxhing instrument to the one I own and was part of a band that featured three Bluesouth's