PDA

View Full Version : need recommendation for rack multi-effects

Sir Ricardo
04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello!

I'd like to get a cool rack multi-effects unit.

I'd be willing to spend between $300 and $750.

Used.

What are some good ones? I am planning on using it mainly to generate riffs and song ideas.....basically as a creative tool. Not for live performance.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance - - - -

cheers -

Richard

forum_crawler
04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
If you just want effects, then a TC Electronics unit would be a good choice for you. If you want a modeler as well, I would suggest a GSP1101 or Eleven Rack. All within your price range

rob2001
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Do you need a dedicated preamp/tone generator or just a multi-FX?

Sir Ricardo
04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Do you need a dedicated preamp/tone generator or just a multi-FX?

Thanks for the question....I think I'd like something all-in-one.....

rob2001
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the question....I think I'd like something all-in-one.....

Then i'd say you'd want a modeler. Personally i'd get a dedicated preamp and a multi-FX. Something like a JMP1 has killer tones and very good cab emulation, then toss a multi in it's loop. Mesa has some great preamps as well.

But thats just me, i'm still not sold on digital/modeling preamps, although I have not personally used any of the latest generation of modelers. The 11 Rack looks like something I'd dig.

winstabull
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
By specifying multi-FX I assume you want a variety of effects, in which case I would suggest the Digitech GSP1101 or whatever the Line 6 rack mount unit is.

I own the 11R but I would not recommend it based on it's multi FX capabilities.

rob2001
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I own the 11R but I would not recommend it based on it's multi FX capabilities.

Can you expand on that? I'm honestly curious.

pomfret
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
In that price range, Digitech GSP1101 with the last beta firmware. Close to that, Vox Tonelab (very good for classic tones, not so much for effects).

I've had all the pods (now I have HD500, GSP1101 and Axe), and I prefer the GSP1101. This GSP is light years from previous versions of Digitech racks (I had them too), and from Boss multifx (Gts, VGs, etc).

I haven't tried the 11R, and IMHO Axe is heaven, but far away from your budget.

winstabull
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Can you expand on that? I'm honestly curious.

When I think of of the term 'multi-FX' I envision having multiple choices of each effect type and being able to route them any way I want. I also think of pitch and harmony effects and wild synth effects, etc.

The 11R simply does not have the wide selection of effects that it takes to classify it under 'my definition' of what a multi effects device is. The Axe FX is a multi FX, TC electronics G major is a multi, etc etc.

The 11R is much more like a medium size pedal board in my opinion. You have one of each basic effect type but nothing too wild on there.

With that said, the expansion pack went a long way to close that gap. If they added pitch effects/other synth type effects and allowed us to put any effect in any block then I would consider it a true multi FX unit.

idk
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
For effects, tc g major 2 or used g force.

Scott Peterson
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
For effects, tc g major 2 or used g force.

My suggestion as well.

If your budget is tight, I'd also suggest Rocktron's stuff; but programming is much more limited compared to current day gear. The older Intellifex and Replifex both sound great - even today - and can be found at very affordable prices.

If you need a modeler in addition, the Digi stuff is very nice.

Depending on your needs, the 11Rack comes into consideration, but it's effects palette isn't as extensive as some of the other units out there at that price range.

All IMHO. YMMV.

_pete_
04-13-2011, 08:10 PM
You can pick up a used GSP1101 for $250-$350.
The quality and quantity of effects are excellent. There are plenty of routing options also. You don't have to use the amp models. I didn't use them either for the first year I owned it.
I replaced a TC G-Major with the GSP and was very happy with the decision. For the money, there is no better multi FX than the GSP1101 IMO.

bman110
04-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Another vote for the GSP1101, it is really easy to program and get started with when your new to modelers. The factory patches are some of the best I've heard right out of the box.

With any of the modelers be prepared to spend some time getting familiar with the unit and how it works. They are not "one size fits all" but I think the 1101 is a great value for what you get. I don't want to get into any debate with anyone but I have all but the 11 Rack and I'm using the 1101 most of the time.

Good Luck!

darkknight91
04-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Intellifex or Intelliverb are great multi-fx units for a great price. I've seen some of the older Lexicon PCM stuff at decent prices.

mattball826
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
another vote for gsp1101. cheaper and sound is good for what you want to do. you can also add third party ir for cab models with new firmware.

there is also cab utility called GIRL (gsp impules response loader) that is great for audition and loading 10 ir at a time to user cab banks.

Guitar Vilain
04-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Boss GT-10 if effects and flexibility (dual amps/fx paths) are your major concern - however modeling and distortion leaves a LOT to be desired.

Eleven Rack if amp modeling is more important, can't be beat in that price range. If you add the Expansion Pack ($99) its new Dynamic Delay and Dynamic compressor are really good and with lots of parameters to tweak. Doesn't have any pitch-based effects so if you need those it's a no-go. Also doesn't do dual amps but effects can be put in any order.

Line 6 HD500 has a constant EQ peak at 3 kHz on any distorted tone whether it's from amps or distortion pedals, but it's flexible (does dual amps and FX reordering) and has pitch effects - however it has limited DSP resources so if you program a patch with dual amps, intelligent pitch shift and reverb you're going to get a "DSP Full" message. For daily and not over-the-top effects use the DSP is more than acceptable IMHO.

GSP1101 is the only one of the bunch that has the option of loading custom IRs (with beta firmware), but it doesn't do dual amps and effects reordering is limited to modulation effects, which can be put before distortion or after the amp.

rsm
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Old school: Marshall JMP-1 and JFX-1 (I have these and still use them).

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae235/RicFanBoi/MJMP-1JFX-1-2.png

Tech 21 PSA 1.1 is a versatile preamp (I still have and use one) if you are considering separate preamps / MFX.

New school rack MFX: TC Electronic G-Major II.

If you want something on the floor, the TC Electronic Nova System (I have one, and a G-System too) is worth a look IMO.

rob2001
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
You can pick up a used GSP1101 for $250-$350.
The quality and quantity of effects are excellent. There are plenty of routing options also. You don't have to use the amp models. I didn't use them either for the first year I owned it.
I replaced a TC G-Major with the GSP and was very happy with the decision. For the money, there is no better multi FX than the GSP1101 IMO.

Hmmmm....more reasonably priced than I thought.