PDA

View Full Version : Help! My dog is chewing holes in our drywall!

slogger
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Eight month old Bulldog. I know drywall is really tastey but this is getting out of hand. He's starting on his third hole - Yikes! Any suggestions?

Austinrocks
04-16-2011, 02:06 PM
bitter apple sprayed everywhere, carpet, walls, beds, under beds

jrjones
04-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Kick it. Yell stop at the same time. Eventually it will not want to get kicked and learn that when you yell stop it's about to get kicked. Worked with my Bassett on a multitude of things.

Guitar Josh
04-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Kick it. Yell stop at the same time. Eventually it will not want to get kicked and learn that when you yell stop it's about to get kicked. Worked with my Bassett on a multitude of things.

Please stop abusing your dog.

Pietro
04-16-2011, 02:17 PM
You can scold without kicking... and you can crate your dog when you're not around. It's not bad, actually, my dog LOVES her crate.

Steinmetzify
04-16-2011, 02:20 PM
+1 for the bitter apple.......vinegar should work as well........and if you come upon him doing it, most dogs absolutely HATE getting sprayed in the face with a spray bottle.

Stein

GAD
04-16-2011, 02:26 PM

You should be arrested for animal cruelty. Try that little bit of technique in front of a K9 officer some time to test my theory.

To the OP - you're dog is either bored or stressed. Crate training can help, but please learn how to do it properly.

VintageKnob
04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Dogs that chew drywall are usually missing some nutrients in their diet, take it to the vet and talk to him about it.

And the crate - yeah great advice.

- D

Peeb
04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
If it was my dog, I would find a nice home in the country for him- a ranch or something.

My dogs live with me- I don't live with them.

slogger
04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
:clips

slogger
04-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Should I hit him with something too?

No really, you shouldn't kick your dog.

Atomic Punk
04-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Is that how your dad trained you?

Tonekat
04-16-2011, 03:35 PM
What's his name, "Sawzall"?

Kicking animals? What the **** is wrong with you?

circusinthesky
04-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Diet or lack of exercise. Are you walking your dog at a brisk pace for at least 20 min each day?

Another good way to discipline a dog is to smack the offending object (not the dog, but the dry wall) while loudly proclaiming "bad dog, no!". So, if you catch your dog chewing a shoe, you smack the shoe.

bigdaddy
04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Plaster.

soulohio
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
buy a new house and let your dog have the old one

RocksOff
04-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe there's a dead body in the wall?

lester
04-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Maybe there's a dead body in the wall? Exactly, probably the last guy that kicked and yelled at him at the same time.

defcrew
04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
The two of you need to sit down with a therapist and talk things out. Tell him how it makes you feel. Delve into each other's childhoods. Have a good cry. Do what you can to build up one another's self esteem.

nsureit
04-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Our doggie did it for about 3-4 months when she was a pup, but usually when we left the house. Vet said it was separation anxiety. She finally got over it, and I repaired the drywall.

Jetrow
04-17-2011, 05:20 AM
A tired dog is a well behaved dog.

dets1
04-17-2011, 08:25 AM

this is really disturbing.

willie cutts
04-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Your dog is bored! Give him something to do and he wont chew through your walls.

Hendrix99
04-17-2011, 08:38 AM
A tired dog is a well behaved dog.

This. Try taking the pooch for a nice long walk before you leave the house and see if that helps.

Russorama
04-24-2011, 12:59 AM
If he does it only while you're away I've had success with a soft muzzle. Not for real long though. An hour maybe while you go to the store or something. I've got a rescue dobie who's a pain in the arse with the chewing things up when I leave. The muzzle helps and enables me to get out for a while.

crosse79
04-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Is he teething? Might explain the behavior.

sodapopinski
04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Is he teething? Might explain the behavior.

This was my first thought. Puppies usually find something to chew on during the teething process. My dog would chew on our kitchen table. It was made of pine and he destroyed the legs. Your dog will grow out of it, but make sure you buy it large hard chew toys and bones.

SideBMusic
04-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Diet or lack of exercise. Are you walking your dog at a brisk pace for at least 20 min each day?

Another good way to discipline a dog is to smack the offending object (not the dog, but the dry wall) while loudly proclaiming "bad dog, no!". So, if you catch your dog chewing a shoe, you smack the shoe.

I agree about the lack of exercise (and the loud noises). He also could be bored. Many dogs will do this if they are alone a lot. But young dogs will often chew things.

You don't have to hit your dog, in fact he will likely resent it rather than look at it like a correction. Dogs train much better with praise than anger.

Finally, consistency... it needs to be clear you are in charge and he must know his boundaries.

Hacksaw
04-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Sure you don't have mice in the wall?

Jerry Lundegaard
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I think the dog is teething. They chew up everything when their permanent teeth start coming in. Get him some chew toys and those large bones you can get at the grocery store.

mge80
04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
An 8-month old dog is not likely to be "teething". Most all dogs have their entire set of adult teeth by the time they reach 8 months of age. Barring any other underlying physical condition, the problem is far more likely to be lack of physical and MENTAL stimulation.

Jerry Lundegaard
04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
An 8-month old dog is not likely to be "teething". Most all dogs have their entire set of adult teeth by the time they reach 8 months of age. The problem is far more likely to be lack of physical and MENTAL stimulation.

You're probably right. That explains why I keep chewing on the dining room chair leg...