PDA

View Full Version : help w/ botique pickups (HBs)

adelphi710
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
does anyone know of any good botique handmade humbuckers? i really love the way the SD pearly gates sound, but i want something that is going to blow my mind, tone-wise. thanks,
alex

Mr.Hanky
06-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Some guy named Jim Wagner makes pups, I heard they are pretty good.

;)

Check out WCR's, I have em and love em.

theelectic
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86944

dcooper
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
jim rolph makes some of the best PAF pickups there are, he makes recreations of the 58PAF 59PAF 61 PAf

I have a set of his 61 paf pretenders in a historic sg and it's the best sounding guitar I've heard

and I have a set of 59 paf pretender in a goldtop that sound incredible

find his website ans call don't email. he loves to talk.
tell him what your after and he'll help you out

tell him dennis told you about him

theres numerous info about his pickups on the les paul forum

JingleJungle
06-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately I'm very partial to Harry Häussel's handmade puppies (www.haeussel.com) ;)

What is tone without dynamics?
That is IMHO *the question*.
Harry's HBs (I tried the Classics -> PAF 59 clones and his VINtage neck and HOT bridge combo) have this huge range of output and Tone.
It's almost as if they auto-eq themselves according to the picking dynamics.
You can get excellent Tone even at low picking dynamics - not something all pups can do well.

PLUS

They sound great when split (really!).

If you wanta stick close to home, I may suggest DiMarzio's Virtual PAFs... IMHO a very underrated pup.

Let me know if I can help you get a pair of Häussels (pron. "hoissel")...

Bye for now,

JJ Paul

adelphi710
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
i want something that goes well with my hot cat. it's gotta have powerful, tight bottom end, and lots of clarity (lack of muddiness).

OldSchool
06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by JingleJungle
Unfortunately I'm very partial to Harry Häussel's handmade puppies (www.haeussel.com) ;)

What is tone without dynamics?
That is IMHO *the question*.
Harry's HBs (I tried the Classics -> PAF 59 clones and his VINtage neck and HOT bridge combo) have this huge range of output and Tone.
It's almost as if they auto-eq themselves according to the picking dynamics.
You can get excellent Tone even at low picking dynamics - not something all pups can do well.

PLUS

They sound great when split (really!).

If you wanta stick close to home, I may suggest DiMarzio's Virtual PAFs... IMHO a very underrated pup.

Let me know if I can help you get a pair of Häussels (pron. "hoissel")...

Bye for now,

JJ Paul

Does he send to the US? Can't really understand his website.......He's gotta make it English friendly if he wants to compete!! :cool:

cnardone
06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Harmonic Design makes a wonderful Humbucker as well. I really love it in my Chapin (semi hollow, set neck, dual bucker).

JingleJungle
06-23-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by OldSchool
Does he send to the US? Can't really understand his website.......He's gotta make it English friendly if he wants to compete!! :cool:

You are indeed right, my friend.
If you recall, I was (and am still) dealing in the pups - partly to try to bridge the language barrier ;)

I will see what I can do to get some english info uploaded. I know for sure that Harry is having his whole site revamped - with the addition of english pages, of course.

In the meantime please do feel free to send me your requests. I am still gladly willing to offer a money back deal on any TGP orders.

We got plenty of things cooking, including the cranky idea of reissuing some interesting "concept pups" that are sadly no longer produced (Bardens, Monstertones....) hehehehe.

---

As far as the "color" of the pickups that Adelphi is looking for I'll just add and comment this:
an efficient pickup will translate whatever sound the guitar naturally has, and in my experience it will color the sound (cut the mids, roll off the treble) to some extent (aka the Tone).
It will not however be able to boost or create what is not there (unless you go for active 'lectronics).
This is an important concept.
If you take a glued in mahogany neck w/ rosewood fingerboard and a mahogany body, even if you go for a 25.5" scale and a Tele shape, you won't get that Tele bite - no matter what kind of pickup you choose.

Just my 2 cents' worth (you choose - euro or dollar ;) )

JJ Paul