PDA

View Full Version : Stinger/Blues Pearl Amps ??

daveS
04-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Anyone know anything about these amps? I was told that they were made by someone named Robert Hudson who was supposed to be knowledgeable builder.

Any information on the Blues Peal "Bluesman" and the Stinger "Jeff Cook" models ?

How do they sound ? Build quality ? Reliability ? What are these worth ?

Thanks in advance !

-d

landru64
04-17-2011, 11:38 PM
i have 5 BP texas tornados. i have had 6 total + 1 stinger version. i have had a jeff cook stage pro. i have had 2 verbrasonics. i have had a rare stinger twin reverb with two different names.

imho the stingers never seem to sound as good as the blues pearls. now, i do know that the stingers used stinger-labeled emi speakers that i think were crummy. my 1 stinger texas tornado never sounded as good as my other BP ones. that said, i know people who love their stingers.

you are going to hear that especially as he got more addicted, the workmanship got worse. but to an extent that should bother no one, unless you end up with one of the pedals that had no guts (true story). almost every one of my TT's had some minor thing wrong with them by the time i got them. like a bad tube socket or a bad pot or wrong pot value. but once fixed, these amps deliver fabulous tone that fits in a real world mix like no other amp. and at least mine are just bulletproof. i just changed the speaker in one of mine today and found the middle transformer hanging on by one screw. the screw was in the back of the cab :) i have been gigging with this amp heavily and just didn't notice. and it never gave up. i often think of these things as the AK-47 of guitar amps.

and my friend who bought one of my verbrasonics has found it to be a workhorse, whereas the multi kilobuck boutique pedal-maker-made head that i also sold him has gone kaput a couple of times in that same time period.

daveS
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
i have 5 BP texas tornados. i have had 6 total + 1 stinger version. i have had a jeff cook stage pro. i have had 2 verbrasonics. i have had a rare stinger twin reverb with two different names.

imho the stingers never seem to sound as good as the blues pearls. now, i do know that the stingers used stinger-labeled emi speakers that i think were crummy. my 1 stinger texas tornado never sounded as good as my other BP ones. that said, i know people who love their stingers.

you are going to hear that especially as he got more addicted, the workmanship got worse. but to an extent that should bother no one, unless you end up with one of the pedals that had no guts (true story). almost every one of my TT's had some minor thing wrong with them by the time i got them. like a bad tube socket or a bad pot or wrong pot value. but once fixed, these amps deliver fabulous tone that fits in a real world mix like no other amp. and at least mine are just bulletproof. i just changed the speaker in one of mine today and found the middle transformer hanging on by one screw. the screw was in the back of the cab :) i have been gigging with this amp heavily and just didn't notice. and it never gave up. i often think of these things as the AK-47 of guitar amps.

and my friend who bought one of my verbrasonics has found it to be a workhorse, whereas the multi kilobuck boutique pedal-maker-made head that i also sold him has gone kaput a couple of times in that same time period.

Thanks for the reply.

"addticted" ?...so what's the story behind these amps ? I've heard a lot of stories and controversy. One common thing I have hear about these amps is that they do sound good though.
-d

landru64
04-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the reply.

"addticted" ?...so what's the story behind these amps ? I've heard a lot of stories and controversy. One common thing I have hear about these amps is that they do sound good though.
-d

i'll tell you offline. don't want to get any lawsuits :) especially since they are back in business and probably everyone on that side is trying in earnest.

when i first heard the buzz on BP and RH, i was hearing that he made a 59 bassman that killed even the best vintage ones. not being a bassman guy, i wanted to try the deluxe reverb variant and eventually got a TT. i had had a long line of amps in that style, from the BFDR Reissue all the way up to a real 64. the TT to me had them all beat.

dharmafool
04-18-2011, 01:04 AM
I have a Blues Pearl Texas Tornado built in 2000. One of Hudson's last builds, I would guess, before hospitalization. My amp delivers the tonal goods without fail. Electronic build quality/reliability is stellar. Cab and cosmetics could be better. It sounds better and better over the years and really sings with NOS tubes installed. Files tell me I paid $1163 for it new. A "reissue" Texas Tornado is $2250 (according to the website, IIRC) -- no bargain but not overpriced, IMO, compared with the competition. I agree with landru, the TT is a superior-sounding version of the BFDR. The best 1x12 BF combo I'll ever have.

daveS
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I have a Blues Pearl Texas Tornado built in 2000. One of Hudson's last builds, I would guess, before hospitalization. My amp delivers the tonal goods without fail. Electronic build quality/reliability is stellar. Cab and cosmetics could be better. It sounds better and better over the years and really sings with NOS tubes installed. Files tell me I paid $1163 for it new. A "reissue" Texas Tornado is $2250 (according to the website, IIRC) -- no bargain but not overpriced, IMO, compared with the competition. I agree with landru, the TT is a superior-sounding version of the BFDR. The best 1x12 BF combo I'll ever have.

Thanks for chiming in. Do you (or anyone else here) know much about the "bluesman" model ? I heard it is kind of like a Super Reverb with a 3 knob reverb, and a little more gain on ch1 ? Just looking for info on this amp.

TNJ
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I owned a Blues Pearl 112 combo that was built in Ft. Wayne IN back in the day.
GREAT amp.
A blues machine for sure, with nice tweedy cleans that would get edgy and then into Marshall OD territory as you turned the amp up to 10.

I sold it long ago. One of our TGP'ers (who built Wakarusa Amps) used the guy who built cabs back in the day for BluesPearl, to build his cabs.
I have a 112 Tweed Deluxe combo clone (Wakarusa Amps Model A2) that Wakarusa built, and the Blues Pearl guy built the cab.
This amp is rock solid and a tone machine.
I use it at rehearsal all the time.

S./
j

daveS
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys !
Still looking for some info in the Bluesman