PDA

View Full Version : NAD: Juke Coda with Initial Review.........

terrapin
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
FedEx just delivered my Juke Coda!!! It is 5881 powered giving 20 watts in pentode and 7 watts triode, cathode biased. Loaded with a 12" Jensen Neo 100 (I LOVE these Neo's). I traded my Juke 112 back to Gary in order to get this. I wanted the Coda for the less power, and Gary's upgraded tone stack, reverb and tremelo/vibrato. If you have not experienced Gary's amps you owe it to yourself!

As Gary says...Ampeg+Fender+Gibson+Magnatone+Valco=JUKE!!! !!

Here are some poor pics of the amp sitting on a table in a pediatric treatment room in my clinic...........Can't wait to get it home...............

See below for Initial Review.....................................

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/rbrown48/Zi6_0906.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/rbrown48/Zi6_0919.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/rbrown48/Zi6_0915.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/rbrown48/Zi6_0921.jpg

remocity
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I thought the Coda was 30 watts?

20 watts with the 5881's and 30 with the 6L6's........is that what it is?

terrapin
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I thought the Coda was 30 watts?

20 watts with the 5881's and 30 with the 6L6's........is that what it is?

Class A, Fixed bias it is 30/10. Class AB Cathode Bias it is listed at 18/6, but Gary said I would get 20/8. I really wanted an 18-20 watter with the triode option.

remocity
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Are you sure you didn't mean Class A cathode bias and class a/b fixed bias?

terrapin
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Are you sure you didn't mean Class A cathode bias and class a/b fixed bias?

WOOPS, your right I shoal proofread my posts............

vortexxxx
04-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I love my Juke 212! Gary's great to work with. I got him to customize mine.

terrapin
04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
OK..........My initial review... I had about 3 hours last night to spend with the Coda. This won't be nearly as comprehensive as this one by Leon Chalnick...BUT..

http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=2277

My amp is very similar to the one Leon reviewed. 5881 power tubes. But mine has a Jensen Neo instead of the Jensen Tornado and mine is cathode biased while Leon's was fixed bias.

I spent the evening playing the Coda in Triode mode to test its bedroom skills. It shined in all respects. I immediately found that the settings I had used previously on my Juke 112 did not get the Coda to the sweet spot. I attribute that to the changes Gary has made to the tone stack and the reverb and tremelo/vibrato. The new design seems much more responsive and the controls even more interactive.

First I played using my American Standard Strat loaded with Klein S-5 Mid-scooped pickups. Using the setting Leon used as far as tone stack I found that the Contour (mids) setting needed to be boosted a bit most likely because I was already using mid-scooped pickups. Treble and Bass on 11:00 and Contour on 11:00 took me to the sweet spot (IMO). My Strat has never sounded as good! With the Level (preamp gain) on 11:00 and the Volume (Master) on 11:00 I got the richest clean sound!! Very balanced across the tonal spectrum and rich, rich, rich. I think Gary tries to open up the speakers he puts in his amps prior to shipping. It sure sounded that way. The new design for the Reverb and Trem/Vibrato offers much more variety and possibility. This amp can get REAL Swampy!!!

I then got out my partscaster Tele with a Rutter's bridge system with brass saddles and loaded with Lollar Special T's. I needed to make a few minor adjustments to the tone stack. Mainly turning the Contour down a bit to get back to a more mid-scooped sound which is what I prefer. Once again, the guitar had never sounded so good. I had a ton of fun playing Swamp-Rock.

One thing about this amp that Leon mentions and Gary talks about in the manual is to keep your guitars volume and tone controls turned down a bit and adjusting the amp accordingly. This offers the ability to get significant changes in sound by using the volume and tone on the guitar.

I only tried one pedal with the amp and it was my Wampler Ego Compressor which was way cool.

I did not even really try to get the amp to a "dirty" place as I was having so much fun with the clean sound............Dirt comes tonite....

I am so impressed with this amp. As much as I loved my Juke 112 I have no regrets about trading it back to Gary to get the Coda. I know I say this alot, but if you have NOT tried a Juke amp you owe it to yourself!!!

hawkeyeinexile
04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
dirt's easy. just crank Volume down & Level up :) - very diffrnt from my old (& prized) 1210

:cool:

[added: o.y. (oh yeah -) then plug in your Timmy pedal & do the same. yikes]

GTRJohnny
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I've had a few people recommend the Coda to me, as I like mid-level volume and trem and verb in amps. I'm looking at the Goodsell S17 now. Have any of you guys had a chance to compare them? I dig swampy sounding trems, so this has me interested. Really nice color, BTW... :)

terrapin
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I've had a few people recommend the Coda to me, as I like mid-level volume and trem and verb in amps. I'm looking at the Goodsell S17 now. Have any of you guys had a chance to compare them? I dig swampy sounding trems, so this has me interested. Really nice color, BTW... :)

If you dig "swamp" Juke amps will get you right there!!! The color is Garnet Red...........

hawkeyeinexile
04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
If you dig "swamp" Juke amps will get you right there!!! The color is Garnet Red...........

yeahman. Fogerty used a 1210 for quite a while. but he's a gearhoneybee hopping from blossom to blossom :D

how's the dirt?

terrapin
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
yeahman. Fogerty used a 1210 for quite a while. but he's a gearhoneybee hopping from blossom to blossom :D

how's the dirt?

So Far...............This nicest pedal free dirt I have ever played around in. And by the way the sustain this amp gets is to die for!

remocity
04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd like to hear peoples opinions on the Neo vs the Tornado in the Coda.

Anybody have any info on this?

hawkeyeinexile
04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
So Far...............This nicest pedal free dirt I have ever played around in. And by the way the sustain this amp gets is to die for!

yeahman:dude - works for me, too. w/humbuckers & all manner of single-coils (fender-y, p90-ish, Charlie Christian, so forth)...

hawkeyeinexile
04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
I'd like to hear peoples opinions on the Neo vs the Tornado in the Coda.

Anybody have any info on this?

they're pretty similar. i have both (the regular Neo (12-100) is in a little otherwise-empty combo cab) & will look for some time to post a comparison clip...

GTRJohnny
04-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Oh, I thought it was orange... must have been the lighting. Good looking amp either way. I like the cocoa, but have to plan well so I can have a few amps in different colors... ;)

GTRJohnny
04-24-2011, 01:38 PM

how's the dirt?

It does sound like his kind of tone. :drool

terrapin
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM

how's the dirt?

Yea, and (not that he uses a swamp tone), but Ben Harper is also a big Juke fan.

GTRJohnny
04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I had a good long talk with Gary tonight. Extremely nice guy and very helpful in assessing what might be good options. I have a lot of thinking and deciding to do. Obviously a cool amp with some very unique features and tones. I have to compare some links he sent me and decide which of the amps I'm looking at will fit the need the best.

terrapin
04-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I had a good long talk with Gary tonight. Extremely nice guy and very helpful in assessing what might be good options. I have a lot of thinking and deciding to do. Obviously a cool amp with some very unique features and tones. I have to compare some links he sent me and decide which of the amps I'm looking at will fit the need the best.

Man, you shoulda jumped on tha Anniversary Warbler 1210 the guy just practically gave away on the Amp Emporium!!!

btg
04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Man, you shoulda jumped on tha Anniversary Warbler 1210 the guy just practically gave away on the Amp Emporium!!!

I have been looking into getting a Juke for awhile and saw that amp posted for sale. Just got a quick glance. Went back to look at it last night and it was gone. Nice amp.

GTRJohnny
04-26-2011, 08:47 PM

I always end up there a day too late... I can't even go in there anymore, too depressing to miss great deals! ;)