PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Custom Custom VS. JB

rob2001
05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I have a Soloist with a CC in the bridge. I like it well enough, it's thick and meaty but it tends to get a bit muddy for chunky rhythms and i'd like more definition for arpegiated chord stuff.

Has anyone had a CC and a JB in a Soloist? I think it's alder and I play a JCM 800.

rob2001
05-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Any opinions on the JB in general?

Flinto2002
05-04-2011, 09:23 AM
I like the CC a little more than the JB. As I recall, output is pretty close, despite what the Duncan spec sheet says. The JB has an alnico 5 magnet, and the custom custom has an AL2. For me, the AL2 is a little sweeter, and I'd think with the maple neck through of a soloist, it would tame some of the crazy high end I hear in many maple neck thru/ebony board guitars.

The JB is a great pickup, with a big bump in the mids that you either love, or not so much. For me, the CC is a bit more musical.

Dale
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
CC is a nice pickup but I am more of an A2 fan.

rob2001
05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I do like the CC. It's been in there for 5 years or so. My 800 is pretty bright so I don't want a overly bright pickup. Actually I love the EQ balance but i'm wanting a little more articulation.

FWIW, Doesn't a Gibson 500T use an A5 mag? I've had one of those in this guitar and it was almost brittle. I wonder if thats an A5 quality in general?

donbarzini
05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I turned a stock JB into a JB Alnico II and I really like the results. I've used the CC for a long time too and it is my favorite in the Custom offerings. The JB Alnico II tames a bit of the high end, gives it a more spongier feel and actually tames and tightens the bass, at least for me it did. It has a great 80's rock mid-range. I've always found hotter Alnico V humbuckers to have too much low end and ceramic just feels sterile to me. I would suggest trying a stock JB first and if it doesn't work out, check out the Seymour Duncan forum, it was a very easy process to replace the magnet. I have mine in an alder single humbucker Floyd Rose Charvel and a maple neck.

gulliver
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I think, to get that articulation, you'll need a brighter pickup. Even though the CC is a mid output pickup, I felt the voicing was more like a lot of high output pickups, with it's thicker mids. I really like the Dimarzio AT-1, so much more vibe and articulation compared to the CC, which I felt was boring. With the AT-1, you don't get a lot of highs, but the upper highs/harmonics makes up for it. Not sure if it would be too peaky for you, though, leads up the neck do have PAF presence. The JB is one of the few very popular pickups I've never picked up.

brianr0131
05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
If you're handy....buy yourself an alnico V mag bar and slide it in. Then you have a Custom 5. It's a little brighter and defined. Not a great clean pup though. It's a tad thin. CC is better clean C5 is better dirty. in my opinion.

Also, it's a $5 "fix" or experiment however you look at it.

batsbrew
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
i've had both.
i started with a JB, and replaced it with a custom custom.

the jb is more midranged

the custom custom is more like a PAF

rob2001
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Maybe a separate question....I haven't really tried adjusting the pole pieces. Does that affect articulation? Hmmmm....

batsbrew
05-04-2011, 11:31 AM
yes

zorak
05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a Soloist with a CC in the bridge. I like it well enough, it's thick and meaty but it tends to get a bit muddy for chunky rhythms and i'd like more definition for arpegiated chord stuff.

Has anyone had a CC and a JB in a Soloist? I think it's alder and I play a JCM 800.

I have a JB in my Custom Shop Charvel w. Alder Body and Ebony Fingerboard and totally have had the same issue you do.

I like the donbarzini approach: change it to a JB Alnico II. Sounds like the results he achieved would be the result I would like to achieve.

batsbrew
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
a wonderfully clear pickup with the best qualities of a humbucker, is the Lawrence L-90

demillso
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
FWIW, Doesn't a Gibson 500T use an A5 mag? I've had one of those in this guitar and it was almost brittle. I wonder if thats an A5 quality in general?

I'm pretty sure those are ceramic.

Flinto2002
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM

500T is a Ceramic magnet, nobody likes that pickup. ;)

gulliver
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
For you JB guys, how does this pickup respond to subtle playing? A lot of higher output pickups, like the Dimarzio Super Distortion and Gibson T498 have a nice balls to the walls feel where notes pop out of the neck, but when you back down with your hands, they don't follow ... they're always on. Wondering if the JB is the same way?

Flinto2002
05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
IMHO the JB is always on. No Clean tone at all, however it gives you a cool alternate tone if you back the volume down to 7 or so, thats what Lynch does,hardly ever has his volume dimed. But I digress, not a subtle pickup

partsocaster
05-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I have an ESP Phoenix neck through with a JB in the bridge, the "wings" are mahogany but the neck-through is maple and it has an ebony board. I find the JB to be the perfect pickup with this combination and do not find it overly middy but I do scoop my mids a little. I think the frequency response is pretty good and I have a lot of control with just the volume knob on the guitar.

I also own a Washburn Custom Shop P3 with a Custom Custom in the bridge, the guitar body is sapele and the board is rosewood. I find this combination to be very dark and have had to introduce a Boss GE-7 into the chain when using this guitar, likely because of the rosewood/sapele combo but potentially because of the pickup. Once the EQ is compensated, it's a nice pup but I personally like the JB better, just my opinion.