PDA

View Full Version : Badly cut finger - upcoming gig

cruisemates
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Has anyone ever come up with a way to deal a badly cut finger tip with a gig coming up? I am past the pain - but my middle finger is cut with a skin flap that could be easily ripped open so it needs to be protected while playing or else it will never heal in time for the gig. Meanwhile - we are in serious rehearsals.

The thing it that I "sliced" a pretty significant piece of skin into a flap that is now reattaching. That is good - had I cut it off it would have been just raw- but I am also wondering if new skin would have grown faster than this flap is reattaching.

If you have ever faced this and came up with a solution let me know.

I actually found a "fake thumb" from a kid's magic trick that fits over my finger perfectly, and it was pliable enough to grab the strings - 90% fix. The problem is that it is just a little too big and I can't do certain chords without it covering two strings - otherwise a great idea. I can't cut it down without it falling apart.

A good bandage seems to be the answer, but I also need to cover it with a slick but strong tape - otherwise the bandage stops me from sliding up to notes. It also can't be too bulky.

Just looking to see if anyone has ever had a brainstorm idea on this problem. I am also wondering if it heals faster if you just don't play for a few days (seems to be logical, but it is hard to resist the temptation to practice).

boldaslove1977
05-09-2011, 09:22 AM
you try crazy glue?

for rehearsals... i say you deal with it like an athlete would. you go to practice... but you don't go 100%. you might not even go 75%. you lay out of stuff that's gonna make your injury worse... even if i means chuggging along on one or two strings most of the time. but the fact that you are still there and in the mix means you and the team are still getting some value out of the session...

mbargav
05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Superglue if you want to be a badass. One of the many spray-on "liquid bandage" type products if you want to be more practical about it.

RocksOff
05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
superglue

jiml
05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Happened to me. Lucky that I played slide parts for a lot of tunes. I just kept my axe in open E, warbled through the tunes as I usually do for the slide parts, and chugged rythm through the changes. Time spent on finding ways to get the other non injured fingers to cover for the injured one opened up some interesting inversions and strenghened the pinky!

Polynitro
05-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I am also wondering if it heals faster if you just don't play for a few days .

this. eat lots of protein and vitamin C which helps collagen formation and granulation tissue

Bob Longo
05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
What would Ronnie Lott do?

All kidding aside, Dermabond is a miracle worker for cuts.
I always worry about my bands and fingers in the days before a gig.

ChmpgnSupernover
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
try superglue

Bob Longo
05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
^^^^Bands.... Hahaha, I meant hands !

Reminds me of something my dad told me, " When God was giving out brains you thought he said trains... And you missed yours!"

Sorry for the derail and now back to our original programming.

EricPeterson
05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Superglue ftw

Mike Fleming
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah I've done that, I smashed up the nail on my index finger once before a gig. Nothing like superglue, nu-skin, finger cots, etc worked at all. The glue-based stuff couldn't keep my injury together once i started playing, and the rubber fingertips were too grippy. But what did work was a tape called "flexible clear" or something like that, from the first aid aisle at walgreens. It was super sticky so it held up great, and the surface was perfect, not too grippy but not too slick, so it fretted strings really well. I was amazed at how well it worked - after five minutes, I was playing like there was nothing there at all. The tape-up job will look like a mess, but if you make sure there are no edges sticking out to catch strings, you should be able to play just fine.

The Golden Boy
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Superglue

Pfeister
05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Super_Glue_tube.jpg/150px-Super_Glue_tube.jpg

zenitB
05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Superglue was first used as a surgical adhesive. It works best on clean cuts (like a razor blade cut) jagged edges aren't as good.

mbargav
05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
BTW, the modern liquid bandages are pretty much the same as superglue. They just don't cause skin irritiation like superglue can in some folks.

jrjones
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Has anyone ever come up with a way to deal a badly cut finger tip with a gig coming up? I am past the pain - but my middle finger is cut with a skin flap that could be easily ripped open so it needs to be protected while playing or else it will never heal in time for the gig. Meanwhile - we are in serious rehearsals.

The thing it that I "sliced" a pretty significant piece of skin into a flap that is now reattaching. That is good - had I cut it off it would have been just raw- but I am also wondering if new skin would have grown faster than this flap is reattaching.

If you have ever faced this and came up with a solution let me know.

I actually found a "fake thumb" from a kid's magic trick that fits over my finger perfectly, and it was pliable enough to grab the strings - 90% fix. The problem is that it is just a little too big and I can't do certain chords without it covering two strings - otherwise a great idea. I can't cut it down without it falling apart.

A good bandage seems to be the answer, but I also need to cover it with a slick but strong tape - otherwise the bandage stops me from sliding up to notes. It also can't be too bulky.

Just looking to see if anyone has ever had a brainstorm idea on this problem. I am also wondering if it heals faster if you just don't play for a few days (seems to be logical, but it is hard to resist the temptation to practice).

Been there, done that. I just played. It hurt like a mofo after, but during as long as I was really into the music it didn't really bother me :bonk

Marty DiBergi
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Love all the superglue replies. I keep a bottle in my guitar case at all times in the event of emergency... :)

TrickinSid
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Neosporin....bandaid....ducktape.

aaron1433
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
also, try not to get it wet too much/too long if you can help it. (dish gloves, etc.)

stratocat63
05-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Many times. Super glue, and suck it up.

blackfly
05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
12 votes for superglue. A couple of votes for suck it up ( from seal team six handbook ) and one or two for stay off it until the gig. I've had finger wounds too- superglue is good (but not in your bloodstream, careful) anything that keeps the wound closed and clean, don't make it worse. Good luck and guitar players should'nt handle sharp objects (haha- I'm a contractor).

jiml
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Just keep "flammables" away from the fingers, superglue burns easy!

rico1204
05-09-2011, 11:05 AM
3 shots of tequila 30 minutes before playing, followed by 1 shot every 15 mins or so after that...I usually can't feel anything in my fingers after that 1st hour...

...or superglue...:D

Mike Fleming
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
12 votes for superglue. A couple of votes for suck it up ( from seal team six handbook ) and one or two for stay off it until the gig. I've had finger wounds too- superglue is good (but not in your bloodstream, careful) anything that keeps the wound closed and clean, don't make it worse. Good luck and guitar players should'nt handle sharp objects (haha- I'm a contractor).

and one vote for clear flexible tape! Which worked way better than glue for me, on a gig with a serious injury.

OP - if the glue doesn't work, give the tape a shot.

Structo
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Super glue FTW!

JAH
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
HERE'S WHAT I DID:
A few years back, the day before a large outdoor festival I sliced the tip of my left index finger (fretting hand) with pruning shears. It took six stiches. I still had to play the next day. We put superglue on top of the stiches but what really made it work was cutting the finger off a tight latex glove and stretching it over my index finger to prevent the strings from ripping open the stiches. Put a little baby powder on the surface of the latex to help it slide over your strings. I had to play many gigs like this until the finger healed up. I'm not sure what was worse ...the pain of the finger or the endless bendover it's time for your exam jokes.

cruisemates
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Believe me - I have tried it all - and here is what I now think...

The problem is that skin flap I created when I sliced - I think it is better to have this heal rather than lose it - because what is underneath would be very raw for awhile.

So - after "New Skin" (I use that all the time,but it doesn't work if you are flexing the skin you bonded). Superglue is similar to New Skin, but same problem.

Bandages work - but the tape slows you down and makes for clumsy playing. Therefore I believe the answer is:

Clear Tape - strong and no texture to catch on wound strings. Second to that - the "fake finger" came really close to working and it looks funny as heck. If it had been a tad smaller and tighter it could be a professional guitar player product. It gave the best protection, sound and flexibility in playing.

Yeah - from now on before gigs I do not slice food or try to trim wire leads with razor blades.

r9player
05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
superglue! or the modern equivalent they use now for liquid bandages.

jaycee
05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I've tried superglue before and to be honest it didn't really work very well. It might just be good for the purposes of closing a wound but not for a guitar workout. That was on a slice type of cut. I just took a piece of electrical tape and made it work.

tiktok
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Liquid bandages have saved me several times from really bad cuts/abrasions as regards getting through a gig.

cruisemates
05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
But having it right on the tip of the finger makes it especially bad - hard for superglue to hold up to that kind of friction.

I do work with superglue a lot (I have a pick fetish where I glue hard & soft picks together for quick changes and add sandpaper for a better grip). So, I often have superglue on my fingers when playing.

Mike Fleming
05-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Exactly, glue won't hold a fingertip together. Like you I found the tape to work best. However, a slip-on fingertip like that fake thumb you tried would be ideal. Somebody really does need to start manufacturing a product like that.

celestion101
05-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I've used Liquid Bandage with Crazy Glue over the top a few times...I got through it. It sucked because it was my left ring finger which made string bending a pleasure!