PDA

View Full Version : Who's using a foot rest? And which one do you use?

Jim Soloway
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I've been using a makeshift foot rest for the last couple days and it seems to be helping to take some of the stress off my lower back. For those of you who use them, is there a particular brand or model that's recommended or is it just anything that adjusts to the right height?

Bryan T
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I use one off and on. Mine is like this:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/IUv56zXgvaTp__7CczYA8ZKE47i5lL2Zo5j2U_SDn8kKvGHJ7P _C9sGRtbt_p1UbdDMZDkMBGR0t-4i7hgehCHKLsWiumcDndqaZ4IooiBQM1v-zxDWCLlPIjA7vDhWzUVysED9ZsAnd

I think it has three different height settings. Equally important is having my seat at a good height.

Sandy Cheeks
05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Only used it for classical guitar. It's somewhere in the back of a closet now.

Swain
05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I like to use a small decorative pillow/cushion on my thigh, with the guitar sitting on top of the cushion. This way, I don't have any problems with my back, after having my leg raised up for extended time periods. So, I think the small cushion/foam raising the guitar, is better than raising your leg.

wailsound
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Thumbs up here for a foot rest, I used one when i was learning Classical and I have carried it over back to my electric playing , I have found having the guitar up and supported it has helped my back and arm strain, anyhowI had a cheap metal one but the hinges broke and to be honest they aren't the strongest, so I'm looking at something like this.
http://www.classicfootstool.com/
but I will more then likely make one as these ones are too expesive.

dvilla76
05-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I use one off and on. Mine is like this:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/IUv56zXgvaTp__7CczYA8ZKE47i5lL2Zo5j2U_SDn8kKvGHJ7P _C9sGRtbt_p1UbdDMZDkMBGR0t-4i7hgehCHKLsWiumcDndqaZ4IooiBQM1v-zxDWCLlPIjA7vDhWzUVysED9ZsAnd

I think it has three different height settings. Equally important is having my seat at a good height.

+1 :agree

Swain
05-11-2011, 10:35 PM
http://sologuitarist.net/dynarette.html

Jim Soloway
05-11-2011, 10:54 PM
http://sologuitarist.net/dynarette.html

Interesting thanks. I picked up an inexpensive footrest this afternoon and I'll try it for a few days before I investigate anything else but it immediately relieve pressure from my lower back, so something in this direction seems to be a good idea.

purestmonk
05-11-2011, 11:14 PM
i have 2 of these

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/Fretted-instruments/14675-FOOTREST-black

no problems with it for a couple of years, sturdy and quite a few different height options

Jim Soloway
05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
i have 2 of these

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/Fretted-instruments/14675-FOOTREST-black

no problems with it for a couple of years, sturdy and quite a few different height options

I ended up buying one almost exactly like this. The only difference appears to be the tread pattern in the rubber. I've been using it for almost a week now and it seems to have made a huge difference. I relieves most of the pressure on my lower back and stabilizes the guitar in playing position.

Thanks to all for the input. I've been having enough back trouble that something like this has become a big deal to me.

SurfGreenTele
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Only used it for classical guitar. It's somewhere in the back of a closet now.

Heh, mine is buried in a closet too. Just a plain black one as posted above. I also had a similar chrome one that I stepped on/tripped over and bent up back when I was exclusively playing classical. I really should start using it again because that position really straightens out my wrist and increases my reach.

SurfGreenTele
05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
I ended up buying one almost exactly like this. The only difference appears to be the tread pattern in the rubber. I've been using it for almost a week now and it seems to have made a huge difference. I relieves most of the pressure on my lower back and stabilizes the guitar in playing position.

Thanks to all for the input. I've been having enough back trouble that something like this has become a big deal to me.

Yup, it also relieves a lot of stress on the wrist by keeping it straighter and your thumb under the board. You use the weight of your hand to pull your fingers down to the frets rather than wrapping your whole hand around the board and squeezing.

KRosser
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
A pivotal moment in the nascent development of me and my wife's relationship back when we were dating came when she'd been to a secondhand thrift shop (we're both still junkies, to this day) and brought me a handmade wooden adjustable classical guitar footrest and proudly proclaimed that until she'd been dating me she would have just scratched her head and let a gem like that go.

I still have it, of course. It's one of three I own. Like capos and ebows, it's one of those things I lose, replace and then find again. The other two look a lot like the one BT posted

gennation
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I have which ever one it is they sell at Guitar Center.

I use it from time to time if I'm learning a lot of tunes or stuck playing in my music room for long periods. I use it mainly for going easy on my back.

docbop
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
I use my other foot. Started as a subconscious thing and still do it a lot. When I want a little elevation I put my right foot on its side and my left foot goes on top of it. Real cheap and always there.

gennation
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
I use my other foot. Started as a subconscious thing and still do it a lot. When I want a little elevation I put my right foot on its side and my left foot goes on top of it. Real cheap and always there.

I do that a lot too. I end up with a sore ankle though from my foot being bent like that. Most of the time I'll just cross my legs too, until my leg start to fall asleep ;)

guitarua
05-19-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0786615834/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/177-8882484-0820054

Julia343
05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I use a footrest when playing everything except the ESP V. The V played when seated goes in classical position otherwise you can't play it. Everything falls into place then.

MartinPiana
05-19-2011, 07:01 PM

That, leg cross, guitar case ... and at home, a small overturned square basket from Ikea. It has golf ball sized holes on two sides, so I stick a catnip mouse in there and make it cat toy too.

JSeth
05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Jim - the trouble with using a footrest is that your hips will quickly get even more out of whack! Thus leading to more low back nonsense...

On the suggestion of a fellow on the AGF, I just bought a unit called "Neck Up" (made by Hamre Music, Vancouver, WA) - I got mine through MacNichol Music (?) through Amazon... kind of pricey ($50) but I really REALLY like this unit! Wish I'd been using one for the past 4 decades of playing, actually; may have saved me some MAJOR back drama!

Basically, what it is: A soft leather strap, with a hidden Mylar wedge. You attach one end to your strap button on the butt of the guitar, then affix the vinyl suction cup to the lower waist of the guitar. The thing then holds your guitar in a wonderful "neck up" position, just sitting on your leg ( I play steel string acoustic, so mine is on the right thigh, but it will work on either leg, and with any guitar that's at least 1" thick!).

Once you get it adjusted to where you like it (and it is fully adjustable), the guitar is really held nicely in place; no effort is needed to keep the neck up in the position you want; you can sit with BOTH FEET FLAT on the floor!

If you play sitting down, much, if at all, I would strongly recommend checking these out! The one caveat is that the vinyl suction cup will leave a mark on lacquer or nitro finishes, if left on the guitar for an extended period - they suggest taking it off after each session of use.

I have used mine with both my 6 and 12 string acoustics, thus far, and it's a boon, for sure! Gonna check it out with my 175 and my 345 as well...

Another bonus! Singing is MUCH easier with both feet on the floor, as opposed to crossisng legs or elevating one leg or the other...

ME LIKEY!

play on................................................ ..........>