PDA

View Full Version : Reverb pedal recommendation?

DarkestChapter
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey,

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I am looking into purchasing a new reverb pedal and was wondering which you think is best. I am working as a guitarist in a prog rock band and I do not need a spring type of reverb. Instead, I need a reverb pedal that can produce hall/plate type of sounds with a decent amount of decay that's suitable for producing ambient sounds. Currently my favourite reverb pedal is a Dr. Scientist RRR, but it's a bit out of my price range, which is $150-$200. I do not know much about reverb pedals and I basically need a decent reverb pedal on a budget.

Please do not recommend me the EHX Holy Grail, I had 2 of them, and I'm not really digging it anymore.

Thanks, and excuse my ignorance!!

monty
05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Nothing fancy but I like my RV-5. Covers everything I need.

forum_crawler
05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Try the Hardwire RV-7.

dulcetpine
05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Dr. Scientist Reverberator. Not even close.

JimmyR
05-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm using a Hall of Fame reverb right now and I'm pleasantly surprised at how cool it is. I'm using the hall setting mostly and it's great. It has quite a few settings and most are usable, plus it also has the toneprint feature which means that you might find another setting online that you really like. It's quiet, true bypass and has minimal tone suck. And it's affordable!

Holy Schnikes
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm using a Hall of Fame reverb right now and I'm pleasantly surprised at how cool it is. I'm using the hall setting mostly and it's great. It has quite a few settings and most are usable, plus it also has the toneprint feature which means that you might find another setting online that you really like. It's quiet, true bypass and has minimal tone suck. And it's affordable!

HoF has been all the rage lately it seems, behind the pricey and uber-capable Space.

RRR is where it's at for my money though, I'd save a little more and pick up one of the mini RRRs, can't go wrong.

Shiny McShine
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
What about the tc Flashback Reverb? I'm hearing good things about that one.

kwaping
05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Consider the EHX Cathedral and the Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator.

stewthom
05-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Another vote for the Dr. Scientist Reverberator. Small footprint, big noises.

Geosh
05-13-2011, 11:50 AM
What about the tc Flashback Reverb? I'm hearing good things about that one.

Flashback is their new delay. Hall of Fame is the reverb.

To the OP: The Hall of Fame is pretty sweet. It replaced my Boss RV-5 and Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator (both excellent pedals though). For the money though, the Hall of Fame is hard to beat. Also, the WET reverb might be a good choice too, but I haven't had a chance to mess with that one quite yet.

Ice Monster
05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
How does the Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo compare?

crxshdxmmy
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Can't go wrong w/ the RRR. HOF looks good too, but SPACE is boss for me.

Strat O Matic
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Try the Hardwire RV-7.

I second that I got mine for $100 and its great for ambient stuff. I just wish it had a shimmer setting but for what it costs its well worth it.

theroan
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Hall of Fame
Verbzilla
RV-5

SuperReverb2
05-13-2011, 12:17 PM
G Lab DR-3 Dual Reverb (simply amazing)
WET Reverb Pedal (very, very, good)

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/wet-reverb

http://www.glab.com.pl/offer

:)

freaksho
05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Hall of Fame. versatile, natural tones and doesn't eff up your dry tone (and well within your budget). my experience with the other popular choices: i thought the Hardwire thinned out my dry tone a little; i found the Boss a bit metallic; the Wet was very natural & beautiful but the echoes were too bright for my me.

saltydogg
05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
WET Reverb Pedal (very, very, good)

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/wet-reverb

http://www.glab.com.pl/offer

:)

+1 on THE WET.

kludge
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
As a prog player myself, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Wet Reverb. It's full and spacious, not springy, doesn't wash out the tone, AND it's super-responsive to your attack and technique. On top of that, it's only two knobs (mix and depth) that are easily manipulated by your foot. I make adjustments with my toes live all the time.

The WET replaced a Lexicon LXP-5 on my pedalboard. It's that good.

oxtone
05-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Recently got the Hall of Fame, and it's versatile with many good settings. It took a while to "bond" with it, but now I like it. Am liking the Plate and Church settings, mostly. The Hall seems a bit dark.

Am also interested in the Wet Reverb, after watching many video's of it. It seems more versatile than I thought with only the two knobs, and sounds very good.

Stevil
05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
HoF has been all the rage lately it seems, behind the pricey and uber-capable Space.

i found the decay times available for the Hof insufficient for more experimental, shoegaze, progressive infintie tunnel type sounds. the Hof sounds great, but is a bit vanilla for those looking for more contemporary reverb options.

very happy with the Neunaber Wet for mono & have a blueSky on the way for stereo.

matt5150
05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
You should check out the EBS DynaVerb if you get an opportunity.

Here it is on my LASD small board:

d45KVnezQw8

Very versatile with hall and chamber settings. Works well in the loop or in front of your amp.

Matt

Delayed Delay
05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
OP,

The Hall of Fame is what you need.

Easily the best reverb in the $150 area. Trails/spillover on reverb are extremely important to me, as I use it primarily for swells and such, so when switched off, I need the effect to be continuing even when bypassed - and I'm pretty sure that none of the other reverb pedals in the $100-$200 range do trails (maybe the Verbzilla? But it's bypass sucks tone like a mofo), and the HoF sounds great. Only thing that's missing is shimmer and presets. That's why I got the Space. ;)

TheJesoph
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm also looking for a reverb pedal recommendation.

I'm caught between the RV-5 and the Verbzilla. I don't wanna get too fancy with the HoF though.

I currently have the Holy Grail Nano, and it's cool and all, but it's too simple.
And I've heard that most people only use the modulate mode on the RV-5. Haven't heard too much about the Verbzilla except the that the octo mode is supposed to be really cool.

johnydoida
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
The WET Reverb is the best for ambient sounds, period.

VinceM
09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm also looking for a reverb pedal recommendation.

I'm caught between the RV-5 and the Verbzilla. I don't wanna get too fancy with the HoF though.

I currently have the Holy Grail Nano, and it's cool and all, but it's too simple.
And I've heard that most people only use the modulate mode on the RV-5. Haven't heard too much about the Verbzilla except the that the octo mode is supposed to be really cool.

I just got the HOF reverb to replace the Verbzilla. I originally got the 'zilla for the Octo mode, which is very cool. However, lately I've been needing a more "normal" reverb and the Verbzilla just wasn't cutting it. I found it dulled my tone. Based on the big HOF thread I picked one up.

I am totally satisfied with the HOF. It gives me just what I wanted in reverb without messing up my original tone. It enhances, rather than detracts! I say go for the HOF instead of the Verbzilla, unless you really feel you need the Octo.

BTW I tried the Wet as well, but it just seemed like too much of an "effect," as opposed to a nice subtle ambience. And it brightened the tone. Plus it is more expensive.

guitarslinger21
09-12-2011, 09:36 AM
How does the Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo compare?

I own one, but I don't use it much. It sounds very similar to a spring reverb.

It doesn't sound digital or artificial or "roomy" enough to work in my post-rock/ambient setup.

It sounds like a spring reverb.

VERY VERY good for old school rock.;)

Structo
09-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I have both the RV-5 (Boss) and the RV-7 (Hardwire).
IMHO I liked the RV-7 better for reverb and the RV-5 better for it's modulation setting which is where I leave that set on my board.
But then I got a TC G Sharp and put that in my loop for a touch of reverb and delay, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the TC Elec. gear.

Eagle1
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
It still needs to be in the loop so I stiil use a Lexicon .
I have a TC HOF (best of a poor bunch IMO.)but it is pretty bad in the front end (all reverb pedals are.)

Wes Mantooth
09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Find a used RRR or get one when Prymaxe/Tone Factor/Jet City has a sale. They are only $25 out of your price range.

I'm not a huge reverb guy but the RRR does everything I need and sounds amazing. The added leslie sim is great as well!

Daka3
09-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Tried to love the HoF but it made me tweak instead of play. Just something vaguely artificial about it IMO. Got the WET and it made me want to just keep playing, just lovely sounds and simplicity to die for. My TC flashback delay, on the other hand, is a sure keeper.

jdandry
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
+1 on the Dr. Scientist Reverberator.
Have one showing up today in the mail after going through a bunch of different stuff at my last studio stint. Its small, has good selection of verbs, does the "crash" thing when u hit the toggle (and I did use this feature on the record) and sounds great!! Can't wait to the mail lady gets here and I can bast my pedal steel through it!

Lance
09-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I would check out the Muza FD-900. Small enclosure, 11 reverbs including cathedral, plate the usual. Also has 10 delays, and they mix into each other very well. It'll do every bit of 20 seconds of reverb. Oh, it'll also do reverse, 100% wet, killer slapbacks, and has 4 user presets. Oh, it's also a looper, though I think it'll only do about 30 seconds, sound on sound, tap tempo. Best of all, it's only about $100.00 on Amazon! I am thinking about getting a second one that I can have up high, and tweak on the fly. I have still yet to find anything bad about this pedal. No, it doesn't sound as good as my Lexicon LXP-5, and Chandler SDEII, but pretty darn close! Yes, it is true bypass, and has enough headroom to take a dimed Mark III preamp signal, boosted with a TS, and compressor! No clippage at all.

shikawkee
09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
For natural sounds I dig the Dr. Scientist RRR. I also like the sounds and flexibility of the Z.Cat Big Reverb or Hold Reverb (Big Reverb has more sounds than the Hold I think).

lando014
09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
If you can afford it, the Strymon BSR is awesome.

Hall of Fame is significantly cheaper and it sounds great too.

Have fun!

salvatorerex
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
As someone who uses reverb extensively, I've gone through a ton of these mentioned.

I used an RV-3 for forever. I loved the reverb on it. It was big, dark and lush. Unfortunately there wasn't really any way to dial that down. Never a problem to me, but the other guitarist in my band ended up with an RV-3 for really spacey parts and a holy grail for not spacey parts. I'm not a fan of the holy grail, though.

The RRR is really cool, and has a huge jump in sound "quality", but I ended up selling mine for the RV-3.

Then I bought a space and I never looked back. It does everything over the top, and nice and subtle. If you can find the dough, do it. If not, get an RV-3