PDA

View Full Version : Best "vintage Vox" sounding new wah pedal?

spitshineguitars
05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I have been looking into the RMC Picture Wah. What do you recommend?

DraggAmps
05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
RMC is great and also check out Wilson. Awesome builds, lots of options, better price. They're just great.

bandofthieves™
05-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I have been looking into the RMC Picture Wah. What do you recommend?
Picture wah.

hazel-rah
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
The pic wah sounds nothing like my Italian 846. It sounds good (the pic), but a SOD Thomas Organ Crybaby sounds more like "the real thing".

slopeshoulder
05-18-2011, 08:57 PM
picture wah

Humancapo
05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I've been using a late 60's Vox 846 for about 20 years and recently retired it in favor
of an Area 51 wah. It does the trick for me plus a bit more of what the original Vox had.
Thanks Dan!

Stratm69
05-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Area 51 Wah is the way to go.

bandofthieves™
05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
RMC is great and also check out Wilson. Awesome builds, lots of options, better price. They're just great.
You have never owned a Wilson wah..:hide

bandofthieves™
05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
The pic wah sounds nothing like my Italian 846. It sounds good (the pic), but a SOD Thomas Organ Crybaby sounds more like "the real thing".
LOL! That is because it isn't designed to. I think that is why it is called a Picture wah..;) You are right about the SOD Crybaby sounding like a V846,basically the same pedal:aok

Lucidology
05-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Buddy Guy Wah. Beat out my pic wah which is now back in it's box ...
Check out my latest youtube if you get a chance. It's all done with the BD Wah ...

Funky & Jazzy Wah~Wah Variations (Over a Sco Tune) (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=897009) (http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=897009) 2 (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=897009&page=2) 3 (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=897009&page=3))

DraggAmps
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM

I didn't say I owned one I said they're well priced (Jet City, for one, has a bunch of them, starting at $145, about $70 less than an RMC or Fulltone, even though they all offer hand build, USA wahs with the Clyde McCoy Signature circuit. So, the Wilson is obviously the best priced hand built wah that I know of that uses old Vox circuitry), it had lots of options (for still less money than RMC or Fulltone, you can get options like the multiple "Q's" on a rotary switch that evidently make a big difference, since you can easily hear the difference even in YouTube demo's. Same with the Fat knob. They also include buffers for fuzz compatibility and an input level knob. I think there are other such options, not to mention there are several Wah types that can be had with Q options, "vintage spec", etc. Tons of choices.), and that they were well built (they use the standard high quality enclosures, true bypass, Switchcraft jacks, high quality inductors, other high quality components with germanium options, "tropical fish" capacitors, different wiring options, etc. There are plenty of gut shots of his work out there and I haven't heard anyone saying that his pedals don't work or that he can't solder. Aside from that, I've built lots of amps and pedals and I know quality components and a quality build when I see it. He doesnt use any board mounted components, the layout is concise and the wiring is neat, basically everything at the very least meets the standards that any hand built in the USA pedal uses. These vintage style wahs are very simple anyway, it easy to see that the work was done very well.). There are lots of good quality clips and videos of his wahs and I could say that I think the tone is great based on them, but I'm not someone who makes much of a judgment on tone from YouTube clips (although it's pretty easy to tell that they sound great with the nicely done demo's) and I didn't say anything about the tone anyway. Still, the OP is looking for good ways that have classic sounds with vintage circuits, so that's obviously a sound he likes and those circuits are employed in at least some of the Wilson wahs and it shouldn't sound much different from a Picture Wah or Clyde. I don't have to have owned it. If I were the OP, I would want someone to recommend that brand so that I could find out about them and see that they're probably the best priced and maybe even the best built brand that makes an old Vox style wah. It would be a mistake if he didn't find out about them somehow, because they're obviously great pedals that I'm personally sold on because of the price and features alone. The OP can decide if he wants one after checking them out, but I can state that they fit what he's looking for without having ordered one myself yet.

bandofthieves™
05-19-2011, 02:42 AM
I didn't say I owned one I said they're well priced (Jet City, for one, has a bunch of them, starting at $145, about $70 less than an RMC or Fulltone, even though they all offer hand build, USA wahs with the Clyde McCoy Signature circuit. So, the Wilson is obviously the best priced hand built wah that I know of that uses old Vox circuitry), it had lots of options (for still less money than RMC or Fulltone, you can get options like the multiple "Q's" on a rotary switch that evidently make a big difference, since you can easily hear the difference even in YouTube demo's. Same with the Fat knob. They also include buffers for fuzz compatibility and an input level knob. I think there are other such options, not to mention there are several Wah types that can be had with Q options, "vintage spec", etc. Tons of choices.), and that they were well built (they use the standard high quality enclosures, true bypass, Switchcraft jacks, high quality inductors, other high quality components with germanium options, "tropical fish" capacitors, different wiring options, etc. There are plenty of gut shots of his work out there and I haven't heard anyone saying that his pedals don't work or that he can't solder. Aside from that, I've built lots of amps and pedals and I know quality components and a quality build when I see it. He doesnt use any board mounted components, the layout is concise and the wiring is neat, basically everything at the very least meets the standards that any hand built in the USA pedal uses. These vintage style wahs are very simple anyway, it easy to see that the work was done very well.). There are lots of good quality clips and videos of his wahs and I could say that I think the tone is great based on them, but I'm not someone who makes much of a judgment on tone from YouTube clips (although it's pretty easy to tell that they sound great with the nicely done demo's) and I didn't say anything about the tone anyway. Still, the OP is looking for good ways that have classic sounds with vintage circuits, so that's obviously a sound he likes and those circuits are employed in at least some of the Wilson wahs and it shouldn't sound much different from a Picture Wah or Clyde. I don't have to have owned it. If I were the OP, I would want someone to recommend that brand so that I could find out about them and see that they're probably the best priced and maybe even the best built brand that makes an old Vox style wah. It would be a mistake if he didn't find out about them somehow, because they're obviously great pedals that I'm personally sold on because of the price and features alone. The OP can decide if he wants one after checking them out, but I can state that they fit what he's looking for without having ordered one myself yet.
Gesh all I said was ya never owned one.You didn't have to cut and paste half the website :D I'm just simply a guy that thinks you should currently own or at least have recently owned a pedal or amp before you recommend
it.I don't build amps or pedals but I do own a LOT of wahs including a Wilson.. Peace.

The P-Man
05-19-2011, 02:57 AM
Gesh all I said was ya never owned one.You didn't have to cut and paste half the website :D I'm just simply a guy that thinks you should currently own or at least have recently owned a pedal or amp before you recommend
it.I don't build amps or pedals but I do own a LOT of wahs including a Wilson.. Peace.

Since when has whole-heartedly recommending a product got anything to do with having first hand experience of it on TGP?! :sarcasm

turtleboy3
05-19-2011, 03:21 AM
stuart castledine wah

DraggAmps
05-19-2011, 03:34 AM

I didn't recommend it based on personal experience with how it sounds, I told him to "check it out", based on observations that it is priced well, built well, and has lots of options to choose from. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far and there's no harm in telling someone about a lesser known brand that fits their criteria. I wish someone had told me to look deeper into Wilson before I tried more than half of the RMC line, whether they owned one or not. The OP can do a search and watch the demo's to learn about the sound but either way, he may have not heard about Wilson and might be as intrigued as I was to learn about them. That's what this site is about. Not like I wrote a review on the thing.

bandofthieves™
05-19-2011, 03:55 AM
I didn't recommend it based on personal experience with how it sounds, I told him to "check it out", based on observations that it is priced well, built well, and has lots of options to choose from. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far and there's no harm in telling someone about a lesser known brand that fits their criteria. I wish someone had told me to look deeper into Wilson before I tried more than half of the RMC line, whether they owned one or not. The OP can do a search and watch the demo's to learn about the sound but either way, he may have not heard about Wilson and might be as intrigued as I was to learn about them. That's what this site is about. Not like I wrote a review on the thing.
You must not frequent the effects forum often.There are literally hundreds of threads on wahs here and damn near ever one of them has a mention of Wilson.I mean how could you be a member here and not know about them? What are we dealing with here a buck a plug pre order discount?
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=848335&highlight=wilson+wah

hazel-rah
05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
LOL! That is because it isn't designed to. I think that is why it is called a Picture wah..;) You are right about the SOD Crybaby sounding like a V846,basically the same pedal:aok

The OP didn't ask for the most Clyde McCoy sounding wah; he asked for the vintage vox wah tone. The pic wah was modeled after one particular Clyde that Geoffrey had encountered. He really liked that particular wah, as it sounded unique among vintage Vox wahs---it was darker, for one thing! And the darker character is what led me away from the pic after so many years.

Is the trash can inductor electronically the same is the SOD? I've had multiple MII 846's and multiple SOD crybaby wahs...they sound consistently similar, but the 846's sound more vocal to me.

Purplexi
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
You have never owned a Wilson wah..:hideOkay bud, come out from behind that sofa. I have a Vox wah at Wilson Effects, right now, having extensive mods being performed. Are you saying I may regret it? What was your negative experience??

aboutdrill
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm going to recommend a wah that gets very little attention here but IMO can do a very good vintage Vox sound for less coin then boutique wahs. It is also fuzz friendly and has just the right amount of internal trimmers to tweek it's sound.

The BYOC wah!

I ended up keeping the BYOC wah over the Area 51 wah and the Pictures wahs I have had. Those are good wahs but I thought the BYOC wah sounded better and was more flexible then the Picture wah and the base Area 51. It was an easy build and I put it in a Vox pedal I bought for $40.00. So for under $140.00 it does everything I want. Check it out!

I really want to try other wahs like the BG wah or the MXR wah but I use a Fuzz Face and I have found most wahs with out FFT suck with a FF. As always YMMV but the BYOC wah works great for me.

DraggAmps
05-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Okay bud, come out from behind that sofa. I have a Vox wah at Wilson Effects, right now, having extensive mods being performed. Are you saying I may regret it? What was your negative experience??

I would bet you'll be very happy with it. He was just saying that I haven't owned a Wilson Wah in response to me telling the OP to check them out.

bandofthieves™
05-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Honestly fella there are almost 600 different wahs out there to chose from.A Large majority are based on the Vox/Thomas organ circuit.Vox Crybaby,same animal when you are talking Vintage. Vox sounding? Literally 100's of examples.I think discofreq's has most of them listed.Some are from the original design( personally never heard 2 that sounded alike) others from someone elses idea of the original design like the Univibe clones..There are some really killer clones out there that came and went pretty fast too,reason being to me they were priced over $300 for the basic wah.They all suffered from the same issues that haunted all of us back in the day too. As for New Vox sounding wahs,I chose RMC.I feel comfortable recommending them because I have used them for so many years now.I will also be the first to recommend a Dunlop Dimebag or classic,or a Vox 847 or 845 to a new wah player.God knows Colorsound,Korg,Tycobrahe and Maestro sold a ton of wahs and they sound nothing like a Thomas/Vox brand.Not everyone likes that sound. Vox sounding wah? The market is flooded with them.

StopReferencing
05-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Calling out everyone on this site (and many others) who assesses the quality of gear without having used it would be a full-time endeavor, man.

Which is, of course, not to say that's what happened here.

bandofthieves™
05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Calling out everyone on this site (and many others) who assesses the quality of gear without having used it would be a full-time endeavor, man.
Probably. Love the Band link.Thanks

mesfigas
05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
i had fulltone deluxe rmc pic and wizard
sold the fulltone and kept pic and wizard
very good sounding pedal try one
especially if you found the old grey box RMC pic wah used
then take it

Stratm69
05-19-2011, 05:56 PM
You should also check out the BBE Wah.

BBE used to have a killer clip of it online playing Cream's 'White Room' through a Marshall. It sounded absolutely great and nailed it. I would suggest trying it in person first though.